Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 11-21-2008, 1:49 PM
In Memoriam

Default Why do you serve?

For those calgunners who are in one of the branches of the military, what prompted you to sign on the dotted line?

For those who are veterans, do you feel that your time in the service was worthwhile?

Have any of you seen combat? If so, did that change your view of military service?

What advice would you give to those who are thinking of enlisting?
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . you are, after all, anonymous."
-Barry Ritholtz

Help be a better advocate for the 2nd Amendment here.
Old 11-21-2008, 2:20 PM

in, been pondering this same stuff for about a month
Old 11-21-2008, 2:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booshanky View Post
For those calgunners who are in one of the branches of the military, what prompted you to sign on the dotted line?
Wanted a better life outside the "hood" Also my life wasn't going far!
For those who are veterans, do you feel that your time in the service was worthwhile?
HELL YEAH! would I do it over again? YUP
Have any of you seen combat? If so, did that change your view of military service?
SEEN it in 03, 04 and 08. No it didn't change my view.. It's the Military not the peace corp!
DO IT!
Answers in bold
Old 11-21-2008, 2:35 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:

My hero's growing up were soldiers. It was explained to me as a teenager what it meant to serve this nation and doing something for society that could never be taken away from me.

Absolutely worth while. I wanted it though. If you don't want or have to be forced into it that please stay out of the military.

Yes, no it did not, don't be fooled by yourself or anyone else, the very first things you are taught is how to listen,move,shoot, and communicate. There is a reason for that.

Advise: Do it because its what you really want. The military isn't for everyone but you need to understand why you would be doing it. Don't do it for money, fame, glory, or anything else. You would only be failing the man standing next to.
Old 11-21-2008, 3:19 PM

my country was at war and i felt it was my duty to serve my country.
many seem to not be able to understand this, im not able to understand how people can choose not to serve. regardless of your politics your country needs you, some can choose to ignore that i cant. i got all the way out thinking that i had done my part, after some soul searching i decided that i need to do more so now im in the reserve while im in school and intend to return to service as an officer in four years.
Old 11-21-2008, 3:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

I wanted the training, the experiance, and the chance to serve (joined right after 9/11).

Absolutely.

No, it didn't.

Join the Air Force...

The troublemaker formerly known as Blackwater OPS.
Old 11-21-2008, 3:41 PM

I signed back in November of 1990 but was disqualified because I had a 1" patch of psoriasis on my back, so I didn't serve. Been a couch commando ever since..a fanboi as it were.

I just wanted to get out of dodge, get combat training (still want it of course), and Bush 41 was getting ready to invade Iraq so I wanted to go play volleyball in Saudi Arabia or Kuwait!

About 9 years ago I again attempted to go into the Army NG but again, my psoriasis got in the way. I just wanted to be trained, possibly play with toys I paid for with my taxes, maybe help in a disaster. I tried to explain that my dad was a proud 1st sgt in the ANG and he had gobs more psoriasis than I'd ever have. But no go. I'll bet if I enlisted during the last few years, they'd have let me in...but now I'm washed up and plagued with arthritis and i'm a good 60lbs too much man for them! lol Well, that's some of the reason I wouldn't have enlisted in the last few years....the other reasons are best left off this forum.
Old 11-21-2008, 3:44 PM
Veteran Member

I was in the Army from '82 to '85. No combat for me, thanks. I was a legal clerk. I joined because there was kind of an unwritten rule in my family that if you didn't go to college, you joined the military. What I picked up:

The good: I learned discipline. Before the military I had about 30 jobs over a couple of years. Since I got out, I have worked for three companies over the past 23 years. I also learned that I am capable of working my way through pain and adversity when most people give up. Basic Training will show you what the human body is truly capable of. And, it's not all physical, a lot of it is mental. I can also get dressed and out of the house in 10 minutes.

What to watch out for: Don't think specific military training is going to open doors for you when you get out. Unless you've learned a specific skill that translates directly to civilian life, like being an electrician or some kind of mechanic, most employers won't give a rat's *** about your MOS (Military Occupational Specialty). That being said, most employers do look favorably on people who have served our country.

If you're a loser and can't make it outside the military, you're not going to make it inside the military. When you get kicked out or quit, you become a BOLO!

Last edited by Vacaville; 11-21-2008 at 3:46 PM.. Reason: I somehow posted before I was finished
Old 11-21-2008, 4:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

1. Mostly family tradition and admiration of the military as an institution. Grandfather was a WW2 vet (fought in the segregated Army units in the Pacific). Father was an LT for a short while before being medically discharged.
  2. Can't really answer that, I've never been deployed. So the only thing I can say from my light experience is that it forced me to grow up in a hurry.
  3. No, thank God. But I will follow orders of called upon to do so.
  4. The first thing that comes to my mind is to make clear to them what the purpose of the military is. It's not boarding school, it's not a job welfare program. It's an institution meant solely for one thing, to fight wars, kill people, and destroy things.

edit: why are you asking this? Are you writing a dissertation or something?

Last edited by Army GI; 11-21-2008 at 4:38 PM..
Old 11-21-2008, 5:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

I have to say a sense of duty and patriotism mostly. i grew up around servicemembers. neighbors dad was a WWII vet, was in the pacific saw all kinds of stuff. both sons served one in the Marines other the Navy, dad Air Force, both grandparents helped in the war effort in WWII. but i serve mainly for the reason is that the freedom we have is not free it has been paid for in the blood sweat and tears of men and women of this country. some of our finest leaders have been in the military. i personally think you should serve if anyone plans to run for office. see "Starship Troopers". that made sense service entitles you to privalages that others who don't serve are not allowed to have. holding public office is not a right it is to be an honor and privalege to serve in public office.

my time in continues and will for sometime to come. and it has been 20 yrs. now. i have met some of the funniest and strangest people in the military. but while i was deployed i had the distinct honor and privalege to serve with SF in Iraq. and i can tell you that is an honor to have.

why yes i have been in combat and i will go again if called upon. in Iraq 05 and 06. great time. i will never forget my tour.

to serve this country should be an honor as some of the finest men and women have worn the uniform. especially today total strangers will thank you and shake your hand. it is a great time to serve. and at no time should anyone in uniform abuse the kindness of the people of this country. we cannot do our jobs without the support of the people. they are our anchor and we can accomplish our missions placed before us.

do you plan on serving this country or just wanting to find out what makes us serve. sometimes no words can describe why we do it.

there are many reasons to serve.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 11-21-2008, 5:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Im just a cherry but I do have regrets. My largest regret is that I didnt sign the dotted line at 18 and waited eight years to do so.
I joined because I wanted to serve like my father and his father did. We take so many things for granted and I knew I would probably never really understand the pain and sacrifices made to make my life comfortable. I got tired of sitting on my hands and just being a fan boy and wanted to be one of the good guys to give others the chance of freedom. Just went in late in the game but better late then never.
Second regret is that I cannot afford to go active. Pay for a private is too little for my bills but my next goal is either 82nd or 173rd.
Airborne!

Sometimes friends, family or strangers ask me about the training and if I regret dealing with the heat, humidity, injuries, stress, and some stranger screaming at me. Now Im no hero like some of the guys here, never been over seas and in combat only been away from my family for 20 weeks and not 12-14 months and im just some cherry out of training but I would say that so far, those 20 weeks in benning was the greatest time of my life. I would endure everything all over again in a heart beat. Especially jumpschool

If you want to join, dont hesitate and make excuses. You will never look back no matter what branch or MOS you pick... less its MP
Old 11-21-2008, 5:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog5150 View Post
less its MP
+1.
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 11-21-2008, 5:52 PM

Quote:
I had always wanted to join, my family were all government employees or military... When 9/11 hit I was 17, I walked into the recruiting station that day.

Quote:
Yes, I learned a lot and I'm a better person for it.

Quote:
Nope, I'm a wounded vet. if I had the chance I'd go back... I had an idea of what to expect My uncle was in a few spats in the middle east before Desert Storm... He is a Sheriff now...

I was deployed from Feb '03 - Oct '03, and Feb '04 - April '05.

Quote:
The military isn't for everyone...

Pick a job that's reasonably transferable into civilian life... Grunt/MP = easier to join police force, EOD = Possible Bomb Squad, etc...

A buddy of mine joined the Army, keeps changing his MOS each time he re-enlists... I believe he is an "Artillery Weatherman" currently... I don't foresee that having a whole lot of potential in the civilian world...
Old 11-21-2008, 6:35 PM

I have been out for 9 years now. When I joined (back in 90) I had been on pre-enlistment for over a year. I knew I wanted to be in the Air Force at 16. I didn't grow up around Military or really know much about it. I just Knew that's what I wanted.

Definitely. I am proud to have served.

No. I deployed a lot of guys during Desert Shield and Storm, as well as other deployments throughout my 9 years.

Pretty much what others have said. THINK about what you would like to do when you get out. Try to get a job while your in doing something similar. It's tough though as most guys going in are young and really don't know what they want to do when they grow up. I was Air Transportation and when I got out, I moved back to my small hometown with a small Airport. Hence, NO JOBS in my line of work. Luckily I had some computer training and experience.

Last edited by hotwls13; 11-21-2008 at 6:39 PM..
Old 11-21-2008, 7:45 PM
Calguns Addict

I cant point to a reason why I joined....it just felt like something I needed to do. I joined before 9/11. I was in school during 9/11 and thought my class was going undesignated to the fleet to chock and chain airplanes: it didnt phase me one bit, that was my job at the time. I have always worked hard, and done my job to the best of my abilities, while looking out for my guys at the same time.

My advice to those considering enlisting: dont do it for the college. do it because you want to be there. if you are just doing it for the college money, TA, NCPACE, etc., your head wont be fully in the game, you will be looking at the clock, waiting to get out and dedicate your time to school. if you are there, you need to be all the way there. if you can dedicate yourself to doing 100 percent of your job, and still have the time and motivation to pursue education off duty, you are welcome in my AT shop anytime.

I have launched aircraft guiding ordnance to hostile areas, and seen aircraft come back with no ordnance left, so I guess that is as close to combat as a carrier/squadron Sailor can get without getting an IA billet (that my wife informed me I have to wait for till after our shore duty). Did it change my views, no. We dropped those bombs on people who needed it done, because they were screwed up in the most fundamental sense. Do innocent people get caught in that, yes, and for that I am sorry, but only because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

JMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrage View Post
Over reaction to non-crimes by State loyalists. If they keep up their heavy handed crap, soon it'll be a better gamble to shoot at cops before they even start bothering you considering the amount of time they're willing to put you in prison for if you cooperate.

Seems like that pendulum is about to shift.
Is this your Calguns?

Old 11-21-2008, 8:23 PM
Banned

I have been retired for 5 years now. When I joined (back in 74) I knew it was what I was born to do. I got off active duty in '78 and went to college, became a cop, but went back on active duty in '86.

HELL YES

Yes. No.

Do it because you love your country.
Old 11-21-2008, 8:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
War. I watched the invasion of Iraq on TV and was very upset that I wasnt there to participate.

Quote:
So far, so good. Its changed my life in many positive ways and taught me alot about the world, people and dealing with many different types of situations.

Quote:
Yes. Iraq, '05. It changed the way I felt about garrison life (prefer combat), Marines, and chickens**t leadership.

Quote:
Dont ever think you arent going to war, regardless of what anyone tells you.

If you arent ready to see death, dont do it.

Dont half-a** it, if youre gonna do it, do it all the way, theres time for "part-time" after active duty.

Last edited by CavTrooper; 11-21-2008 at 9:35 PM..
Old 11-21-2008, 9:31 PM

Quote:

why do you ask (not trying to be combatative just curious)
Old 11-21-2008, 9:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Can't believe no one has put "college money" down yet. That was the #1 of most people joining when I was getting off AD (around 2004).

Old 11-21-2008, 9:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Nah, it only paid for a couple of years of college
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 11-21-2008, 9:47 PM
Calguns Addict

well, I did mention college money in my post.....lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrage View Post
Over reaction to non-crimes by State loyalists. If they keep up their heavy handed crap, soon it'll be a better gamble to shoot at cops before they even start bothering you considering the amount of time they're willing to put you in prison for if you cooperate.

Seems like that pendulum is about to shift.
Is this your Calguns?

Old 11-21-2008, 9:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Uncharted territory for you Matich

1. Couldn't relate to my peers and the path they were taking.

2. It was for me.

3. Received combat pay. No.

4. If you are afraid of being uncomfortable, stay on the porch. If you feel you don't owe your country something, stay on the sidelines and watch. If you feel you want to prove something to yourself and see what you are really made of, step up.

Frustratedinca, mojo, Rellik Remag > FU

Quote:
I've got a pretty resilient cornhole though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhabelly View Post
So take your sheeps and go home. You're not worthy.
Old 11-22-2008, 9:40 AM
Banned

College money was nice, but that's not why I enlisted. I did take advantage of the GI bill and went to college for 5 years, full and part-time. When I retired, the VA offered vocational rehabilitation since the infantry has no related civilian skills. I went to several training sessions and they paid for a laptop and some other gear.

If you enlist specifically to get college money, you will find it would be much easier (and safer) to simply work hard and save money for school and apply for a grant. I know several soldiers who cited school money as a reason for joining that never went to college. I know a few that actually got a degree while in the Army for little or no expense.

If you served honorably, you should take advantage of any benefits and entitlements you are eliagble for. You earned them.
Old 11-22-2008, 7:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Both grandparents were in WWII. Tradition I could say. Not to mention the Army let me choose a very unique and challenging MOS, only very few of us in the service (about 400 qualified) AND I received 2 licensures and a certification to practice in the civilian world.

Yes, for the most part. The only thing I dislike is the backstabbing politics.

Yes. Depends how you would perceive a change of perception... For the most part, it makes you appreciate freedoms of those folks who have never served, my service is for them.

Go Air Force, seriously. If you want to see combat in the AF, become a PJ/CTT/CTW.
Above

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 11-23-2008, 5:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwa View Post
why do you ask (not trying to be combatative just curious)
i would like to the OP to state why he asked this question. i think it would be the right thing to do.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
contact the governor
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 11-23-2008, 5:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
i would like to the OP to state why he asked this question. i think it would be the right thing to do.
He can't just be curious?

Old 11-23-2008, 5:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwater OPS View Post
He can't just be curious?
i'm sure he is. but i can ask as another poster just as he has.

Quote:
contact the governor
NRA Life Member.
Old 11-24-2008, 7:53 AM
In Memoriam

Hey guys, I was up in the Bay Area all weekend doing some photographic work so I didn't have a whole lot of time to be in the interwebs.

I wrote this thread because I'm curious. I'm reading a book right now about the history of American warfare and I just finished a book called "War is a force that gives us meaning" that was quite possibly the most f***ed up and heartbreaking book I've ever read. It's written by a journalist who has covered conflicts from central America to the Balkans, he also happened to be a divinity student before he became a journalist so he writes with a style that really portrays war and the effect it has on people very well.

There are many ways to look at the military. From a macro perspective that shows the effect on nations, to the effect the military has on civilians, to the way that outsiders see it. I've read a lot about the macro perspective, and the way that journalists working in war zones see it, now I want to learn about the way the people in the military see it.

I couldn't ever be in the military I don't think. My mom raised me on the phrase "because I said so" and it irritated me so much growing up that I'm pretty much incapable of following orders without knowing all the details of why I do something. And of course that just doesn't fly in the military. For a more pragmatic reason, I'm covered in tattoos so they'd have to REEEEALY lower their standards on those sorts of things to even let me in. And lastly, the wife would never let me join anyway.

Thanks for everyone who wrote. I appreciate the honesty.

-Mark
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . you are, after all, anonymous."
-Barry Ritholtz

Old 11-24-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
i was curious, generally the vibe i get from boo is he is not very appreciative of the military so i was curious why he asked. may i ask why you asked that i asked?
Old 11-24-2008, 12:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwa View Post
i was curious, generally the vibe i get from boo is he is not very appreciative of the military so i was curious why he asked. may i ask why you asked that i asked?
you perked my curiousity that is why. i did not think about it until i saw your post. but since he has repiled and in a polite manner as both of our requests were polite and were not in any context to be rude in asking. since i have the same feeling you have. maybe since reading the book he read he may have a deeper respect and understanding for what we do and why.

Quote:
contact the governor
NRA Life Member.
Old 11-24-2008, 5:39 PM

Cause I look so good in my bag.

You should banish any thoughts of how you may appear to others.
Marcus Aurelius

"I won't be wronged, I wont be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
the "Duke" in the shootist
Old 11-24-2008, 7:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

1. I had always been fascinated by our military history and all things military. Thought about serving after high school, but didn't do it because my family wanted me to go to college. After a year of college, 9/11 happened, and I put off school to serve and do my part.

2. I definitely feel like my time in service is worthwhile. I love this country and am proud of my service.

3. I wouldn't hesitate to encourage enlisting. But I would temper that enthusiasm by telling potential enlistees that, like any other job, the military experience will have both good and bad experiences. But overall, a great experience. A million dollar experience that you wouldn't pay a penny for, but great nonetheless.
Old 11-25-2008, 8:19 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
you perked my curiousity that is why. i did not think about it until i saw your post. but since he has repiled and in a polite manner as both of our requests were polite and were not in any context to be rude in asking. since i have the same feeling you have. maybe since reading the book he read he may have a deeper respect and understanding for what we do and why.
It's not that I have a disrespect for the people who serve in the military, I just think that the way our military has been used by our elected leaders has been inappropriate.

Is that unreasonable? Do you honestly feel that everything our military has done over the last 8 years was worthwhile? Have we made no mistakes?

Just because I think that the Iraq war was a mistake does not mean that I think less of those who serve in the military.
-Barry Ritholtz

Old 11-25-2008, 9:46 AM

1. Big family history
2. It was either that or smoke tons of pot and fail out of college (i wasn't very productive in my high school years HA!)
Old 11-25-2008, 9:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
It's not that I have a disrespect for the people who serve in the military, I just think that the way our military has been used by our elected leaders has been inappropriate.

It depends on what the use is. we are engaged in a war. in the 90's the military was used in more peacekeeping missions than anything. i did not get deployed in any of those. i only herd the fallout of such use other than warefare. ya know blow things up and break things not nation building. we are doing that in Iraq after a conflict with them.

Is that unreasonable? Do you honestly feel that everything our military has done over the last 8 years was worthwhile? Have we made no mistakes?

yes there have been many mistakes that is a given it's the military. nothing goes to plan. no plan survives intial contact (murphy's law of combat) Afghanistan is defenitly the right thing to do. Iraq was an elective war and we chose to do it. also i think the heads at the Pentegon wanted to see if we can fight 2 wars at the same time. also during the last 8 years our equipment is way better than it was in the 90's. active, reserve and guard are getting new equipment pretty much at the same time the active force is, not years later. our pay and benefits have increased alot since also. but this not a perfect world if it was there would be no war, if there was anything planned for that conflict would go perfectly to plan.

since i have been to Iraq i have a different view than most. i considered my deployment quite unique than most. i was able to interact with the Iraqi people often and did see more of a positive result of us being there. but there will always be people in any country that don't want you there. those people IMO are the ones that benefited from Saddams rule and are now on the same level as the people they may have had oppressed. just my opinion. as i saw a great many things that i have relized more in the 2 yrs. since i have been home.

Just because I think that the Iraq war was a mistake does not mean that I think less of those who serve in the military.

if anything since the Iraq war began people have had a better view of the military and of course Afghanistan. but Iraq really put us in the spotlight so to say. go to an airport in uniform and it's almost guarrenteed that someone will buy you a drink. also being in public people will thank us for our service and so on. again i think the American public has learned a lot in the last 8 yrs. of our service our sacrifice and our dedication to serving this country. i have never been more proud to serve this country since returning from Iraq. it is a great feeling and to be honest, and hard to do without shedding a tear.

hope this helps.

NOTE: my question as to why you created this thread was in no way to be hostile towards you. just a general question.

Quote:
contact the governor
NRA Life Member.

Last edited by chris; 11-25-2008 at 9:58 AM..
Old 11-25-2008, 12:34 PM

"Cause......."

Last edited by new cal shooter; 11-25-2008 at 12:43 PM..
Old 11-25-2008, 12:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by new cal shooter View Post
"Cause I did'nt went to College"
dude this thread is more directed to those that have rather than those that have not.

Quote:
contact the governor
NRA Life Member.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:42 PM

Smile

No really,
I did not feel I could do the higher education thing and am currently active
E-7, never looked back, all kinds of travel, good times
Old 11-25-2008, 12:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by new cal shooter View Post
No really,
I did not feel I could do the higher education thing and am currently active
E-7, never looked back, all kinds of travel, good times
your first post did not state that you were an E-7.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by new cal shooter
"Cause I did'nt went to College"

Quote:
contact the governor
NRA Life Member.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Crosis;1717662]

The military isn't for everyone...

Pick a job that's reasonably transferable into civilian life... Grunt/MP = easier to join police force, EOD = Possible Bomb Squad, etc...
QUOTE]

From what I understand MP dose not = easier to a LEO job, as the laws in the military do not translate to civilian life very well, I know it is next to imposable to join the Sacramento Sheriff's Department if you were an MP.