Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 11-19-2008, 7:50 AM

Default Sage stock in a M1 Garand?

So I'm staring at the Sage int'l website, and I notice they now have EBR stocks for the M1 Garand. While I'm convinced this is a horrible abortion against JMB, I can't help but be somewhat intrigued. Does the M1 count as a detachable magazine rifle (I'm thinking no)? Could I use this horrific thing if I had a beater M1 lying around?

http://www.sageinternationalltd.com/si/access/ebr.html - scroll down a little to find it.

http://www.securityarms.com/20010315.../3200/3272.htm - picture of one.
Old 11-19-2008, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverName View Post
So I'm staring at the Sage int'l website, and I notice they now have EBR stocks for the M1 Garand. While I'm convinced this is a horrible abortion against JMB, I can't help but be somewhat intrigued. Does the M1 count as a detachable magazine rifle (I'm thinking no)? Could I use this horrific thing if I had a beater M1 lying around?

http://www.sageinternationalltd.com/si/access/ebr.html - scroll down a little to find it.

http://www.securityarms.com/20010315.../3200/3272.htm - picture of one.

Marone!

Knowing Sage pricing, I can only imagine what they'd be asking for one of these.

I'd be interested in testing one, but I don't know if it would be enough of an improvement in the ergos to justify the price.

I do like the Sage on the 14/M1A, but for all intents and purposes it defeats the advantage you get with an M1A for civilian use in California - no detachable mag or standard capacity mags w/ evil features.
Old 11-19-2008, 8:28 AM
Veteran Member

Well, um, its certainly would make for a more interesting .30-06 build. lol. Honestly, I'd shoot F class and tactical rifle with a .30-06 if more options were available in that caliber.
Old 11-19-2008, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverName View Post
Could I use this horrific thing if I had a beater M1 lying around?
It doesn't turn the M1 Garand into an AW because the Garand's magazine is internal and fixed, so you could build it up with a pistol grip, flash hider, telescoping stock - - knock yourself out - - but don't expect to get any love for it at the range, you heretic!

I've got a .308 Garand in a Ram Line synthetic stock, scoped, using a B Square side mount, with a Versa Pod bipod, that I've played around with as an F-class rifle, and boy do I catch **** for it at the range! That being said, it's just not that great a setup for F-class, with a 3" X-ring at 600 yards, so I'm probably going to drop it into a nice wooden stock and re-build it as a XTC rifle and work up something else for F-class. I bought it as a barreled receiver and just thought I'd do something unique with it, and now I have, so it's time to end the experiment and build it up the way it was meant to be built.

Paratus et Vigilans

Prepared and On Guard
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take from you all you have." - Gerald R. Ford
Old 11-19-2008, 9:51 AM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratus et Vigilans View Post
It doesn't turn the M1 Garand into an AW because the Garand's magazine is internal and fixed.
To elaborate on this, while you charge a Garand with 8-round enbloc CLIPS, the MAGAZINE and "Ammunition feeding device" is an internal fixed 8-round mag.

Evil features are go on a Garand.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 11-19-2008, 11:20 AM

At least go with a BM59 folding stock:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=116218856

While not what JCG had in mind, it is part of the M1 Garand canon....

Last edited by vf111; 11-19-2008 at 11:41 AM..
Old 11-19-2008, 11:28 AM

Well, if by beater M1Garand, you mean wrecked unshootable M1 Garand that would not be otherwise salvaged

Seriously though, it could be kind of fun to do. A rather expensive way to make a fun to shoot abomination, but as long as you brought a proper Garand to the range with it every time...
Old 11-19-2008, 11:45 AM

Part of me wants to do it with a 308 Garand, in order to bring a classic rifle into being a 21st century battle rifle. Part of me is horrified at the concept of a Garand in anything besides wood. However, all of me doesn't have enough cash for the project, so that's going to have to win out for now.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:50 AM

Not a bad price

Good discussion points thus far though.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:09 PM
In Memoriam

Hey -- it solves the problem I have with the Springfield D-Day commemorative m-1 that has the beach assault etched into the stock.

Now I can mount an Aimpoint on it! Whoo-hoo!