Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-02-2008, 5:20 PM
Ripper Ripper is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 211
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default Need help sighting in ACOG Scope

Hi guys, I went to the range today with my SIG 556 and a new ACOG Scope. It is mounted on a LaRue LT 100 mount made for the ACOG. i WAS SHOOTING AT 100YDS. I was not even hitting a 2ftx2t target at all way off! I did not boresight it first did not think it would be that far off. I did not mess with the elevation or windage knobs at all did not know where to start,no holes on paper. Do I need to buy a laser bore sighter to get on paper or is anyone here know any secrets on how to get on the target and then I know where to start for fine tuning it. The ACOG is brand new and the mount is also. It is locked up tight on the rail no movement. Please advise. I have a grid type bore sighter that I use on my M1A and US OPTICS Scope but it doe not work with a ACOG on the SIG Rifle, different set up. Please any help would be good. Thanks Ripper
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-02-2008, 5:38 PM
SuperSet SuperSet is offline
Vendor/Retailer
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: OC/DC
Posts: 8,774
iTrader: 41 / 100%
Default

Try zeroing at 25y first and then walk it out to 50y and then..
you get the picture.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-02-2008, 6:13 PM
buffybuster's Avatar
buffybuster buffybuster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ventura County
Posts: 2,379
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Is there a dirt berm that you can shoot into? Pick something that you can shoot at in the berm (ie: dirt clone, weed, etc) spot where your shot lands in relation to where you aimed. If you cannot see the impact in the FOV of your scope, chances are there probably isn't going to be enough adjustment in the scope to get it on target. It that case, it's good to have a spotter to tell you where the heck your rounds are landing.

If that is the situation, then shoot wth open sights to see if you have to make gross adjustments. If not, then there's something not right with your mount. Make sure the cross bolts are oriented correctly and everything is evenly tightened down. If that fails, go find someone who genuinely knows more than you and have them check everything over.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-02-2008, 6:38 PM
aplinker's Avatar
aplinker aplinker is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: West LA
Posts: 16,828
iTrader: 92 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffybuster View Post
Is there a dirt berm that you can shoot into? Pick something that you can shoot at in the berm (ie: dirt clone, weed, etc) spot where your shot lands in relation to where you aimed. If you cannot see the impact in the FOV of your scope, chances are there probably isn't going to be enough adjustment in the scope to get it on target. It that case, it's good to have a spotter to tell you where the heck your rounds are landing.

If that is the situation, then shoot wth open sights to see if you have to make gross adjustments. If not, then there's something not right with your mount. Make sure the cross bolts are oriented correctly and everything is evenly tightened down. If that fails, go find someone who genuinely knows more than you and have them check everything over.
Berm, ground, whatever... shoot and move the poof until you're on target.

It's easy.

If you want to "bore sight" it, open it up, put the barrel on something sturdy that won't move. Now, pull the BCG and, looking through the barrel, point it at something in the distance that's easy to see. Without moving the rifle, adjust the ACOG to be on target at the same thing.
__________________

Google Map of OLL Dealers

List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-03-2008, 5:35 PM
hoffman259's Avatar
hoffman259 hoffman259 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Riverside
Posts: 928
iTrader: 56 / 100%
Default

I just sighted my acog in with a laser bore sighter. I am going to be going to burro next weekend and can bring it with me if you want to use it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-03-2008, 5:39 PM
Jicko Jicko is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 8,807
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclaplinker View Post
If you want to "bore sight" it, open it up, put the barrel on something sturdy that won't move. Now, pull the BCG and, looking through the barrel, point it at something in the distance that's easy to see. Without moving the rifle, adjust the ACOG to be on target at the same thing.
+1 this is super easy to do, and had get me on 99% of the time.

It works for ARs and also with a bolt-action rifles.
__________________
- LL
NRA Certified Firearm Instructor


New to Calguns, check here first:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=56818
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-03-2008, 8:19 PM
SJgunguy24's Avatar
SJgunguy24 SJgunguy24 is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed
Posts: 14,858
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclaplinker View Post
Berm, ground, whatever... shoot and move the poof until you're on target.

It's easy.

If you want to "bore sight" it, open it up, put the barrel on something sturdy that won't move. Now, pull the BCG and, looking through the barrel, point it at something in the distance that's easy to see. Without moving the rifle, adjust the ACOG to be on target at the same thing.
Yep, give this a try. Just finished my AR on Friday. I had an old scope laying around so I slapped it on the Flat Top and looked through the bore. Saw the same picture.

I shot it on Sunday, 5" high and 6" to the left, had it dialed in with 9 rounds. Very cool indeed.
__________________
There are 3 kinds of people in this world.
The wise, learn from the mistakes of others.
The smart, learn from their own mistakes.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 2:27 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.