Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:48 AM

Default Help! Need info on Private party trans

Hello.

I know very little about Private party transfer laws in CA. My situation is that my mom and dad lives in So Cal; I live in the bay area. My parents own a proprety in Las Vegas, they have utility bills, property taxes papers, etc to show for. My question:

Is it possible for my Father to purchase a handgun in Nevada that is not in the california list of approved handguns and have the handgun transferred under my name later on. Me and My dad have no NV drivers license, we both have CA licenses. If this is possible, What process do We need to do? Can he purchase the handgun in Vegas under his name and transfer it to me after purchase here in California? I would greatly appreciate any input on this. I don't know where to begin. I purchased and own 4 handguns in CA but the restrictions in Cali is just so much that I cannot purchase the handgun that I have been eyeing for months now. Thank you.

Sincerely

L.L.

AKU SOKU ZAN
Old 11-02-2008, 2:46 PM
Calguns Addict

First of all this is in the wrong forum.

Second, what you are proposing is a "straw" purchase and not legal. Any purchased weapon has to go through a California FFL (unless C & R, but I don't think that is the case here).

If he were a resident of Nevada that decides to move to California, he could sell you the gun though a PPT after registering it here in Cali.

Last edited by C.G.; 11-02-2008 at 2:51 PM..
Old 11-02-2008, 2:55 PM

I've never done this and I'm just repeating conjecture I've read on here, but:

I believe it is possible for your father to buy the handgun as a legal Nevada resident (I'm assuming he can legally buy a handgun there) and send it to an FFL local to you. The FFL would then check a family transfer exemption box for the safe handgun requirements.

WTB: Savage 99 SN#507612 (buying back grandpa's rifle)
Old 11-02-2008, 6:00 PM
CGN Contributor

It may be beneficial for your father to get an NV "Seasonal Resident" ID if he is a part-time NV resident.

Federal law allows for a person to be a multi-state resident, and may purchase handguns in either state while he is residing there.

With that NV ID, he should have no problem legally purchasing handguns in NV. Once he owns them, he could send them to a CA FFL for a intrafamily transfer to you.

If he buys them and brings them back to CA for his own personal use, I dunno if that is legal, or if a personal handgun importer form is enough to stay legal.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 11-02-2008, 6:10 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.G. View Post
If he were a resident of Nevada that decides to move to California, he could sell you the gun though a PPT after registering it here in Cali.
Actually, in that situation, he could sell it in a PPT transfer, or register it here in CA as a personal hangun importer. He doesn't have to register it before he PPTs it. He can meet the regs by PPTing it out of his possession within 60 days.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 11-03-2008, 2:56 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but a straw purchase would only be illegal if one party with no criminal background purchase a handgun for a person with criminal background.? I my case, My dad and I both have clean background records. Just simply fed up with the strict CA gun laws
Old 11-07-2008, 7:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by perc71 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but a straw purchase would only be illegal if one party with no criminal background purchase a handgun for a person with criminal background.? I my case, My dad and I both have clean background records. Just simply fed up with the strict CA gun laws
Sounds for sure reasonable but I still think it would be called a "Straw deal" Rhymes with raw deal...