Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

Default fresno gun stores/ places of interest

well im going to be going in Fresno all weekend w/ my GF. So where is the best/ largest gun store. I figure if im going to be up there i might as well snoop around and see if i cant spend some money i dont have.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:22 AM

Smile

You could try The Range. It's right behind Costco on Shaw Ave.

I know one place where I wouldn't go. That would be Fresno Guns, on Blackstone.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." B.Franklin
Old 10-30-2008, 11:30 AM

Herb Bauer has a large but overpriced selection, Fresno Firearms (mentioned above) is not the nicest place to deal with. The range is good, nice guys, large selection of pistols. I'm actually going over there right now to do some shooting!

George Washington didn't use the 1st amendment to defeat the British...he shot them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 10-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

what are the req's to shoot at the range, membership, anything? do you have to buy their ammo?
Old 10-30-2008, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdabroxx View Post
what are the req's to shoot at the range, membership, anything? do you have to buy their ammo?
That you have a pistol and pay them $15. No membership required. They also have rentals, but I've never done that. Your own ammo is fine.

George Washington didn't use the 1st amendment to defeat the British...he shot them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 10-30-2008, 1:40 PM

Be sure to stop by Breco in Clovis. He has a very small shop but is decently stocked not to mention he is a really nice guy to deal with. http://brecoenterprises.googlepages.com/

Live life like a dog
If you can't lick it,eat it,chew it or screw it,
Piss on it and walk away
Old 10-30-2008, 2:00 PM
Banned

I'm a member of The Range pistol club, and it's a very nice place to shoot, browse and hang out. They had a killer sale on S&W's 2 weekends ago which took a chunk out of my gun fund! Take your GF shooting, they are very user-friendly at the Range.

Herb Bauer's has a nice selection, but is overpriced. They do have sales from time to time, and I scored a nice used Rem 700 there a few years back.

Breco is a good shop to check out, especially if you want to order a particular gun. Rob is very reasonable and can get just about anything.

McCormick's (Blackstone/Clinton) has a good selection of older used guns if you're into that.

Gilman-Mayfield has some good deals now and then, and has a good selection of ammo and accessories.

Don't bother with Fresno Firearms.
Old 10-30-2008, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Z50 View Post
I'm a member of The Range pistol club, and it's a very nice place to shoot, browse and hang out. They had a killer sale on S&W's 2 weekends ago which took a chunk out of my gun fund! Take your GF shooting, they are very user-friendly at the Range.

Herb Bauer's has a nice selection, but is overpriced. They do have sales from time to time, and I scored a nice used Rem 700 there a few years back.

Breco is a good shop to check out, especially if you want to order a particular gun. Rob is very reasonable and can get just about anything.

McCormick's (Blackstone/Clinton) has a good selection of older used guns if you're into that.

Gilman-Mayfield has some good deals now and then, and has a good selection of ammo and accessories.

Don't bother with Fresno Firearms.
+1

That's everything you need to know about Fresno. Except that Fresno Firearms has the best prices on Pelican Cases, but that's it.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

going to the range today.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:51 AM
I need a LIFE!!

FEDUPWBS has a place in Fresno.

California Uber Alles, California Uber Alles
Uber Alles California, Uber Alles California

I am Governor Jerry Brown, My aura smiles and never frowns, Soon I will be President...
Old 11-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by technique View Post
FEDUPWBS has a place in Fresno.
Where is his place and what's it called?

Gilman-Mayfield is open till 4pm on Sat. Closed Sun.

Breco is closed on weekends.

The place to "look" is Herb Bauer's. They have all the good eye candy.

BTW, what is it with the owner of Fresno Firearms. I own a retail store
myself and I simply cannot figure that guy out.

If you want a nice place to dine, try Campagnia or Fleming's. They rock!!
Old 11-01-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzy View Post
Where is his place and what's it called?
PRK firearms. He's not open for real business yet. No stock. He has accessories, and can do transfers. The shop is about done, he has all paperwork in hand. Just waiting on new "stuff" to sell.

Website will be added to.

PRK Firearms.
Old 11-01-2008, 4:33 PM
Veteran Member

just got back from the range, rented the wilson combat. Damn that is a nice pistol. And for all of you who think you need to baby your girlfriends when it comes to calibers, my 105lbs girlfriend had no problems with the 45 acp. although she has shot a 1911 before, in both 22 cal and 45.

only one ding against them is that they are quite proud of their 45 acp ammo at 25 bucks a box. didnt see that coming, guess i shoulda hung up the gloves after the first box.

anyways it was a good time, and i appreciate the suggested place to blow some money. they have nice facilities.
Old 11-01-2008, 4:36 PM

The Range is great, Herb Bauers has a huge selection but as mentioned they aren't cheap. Mayfield has a great selection too and good people. As mentioned, Fresno Firearms isn't worth your time. Not a huge selection and it's like the guy tries to be as unpleasant as possible. I really don't know how they stay in business.
Old 11-01-2008, 5:57 PM

have plenty of AR lowers in stock
My solar tac grip wrap just slides off if I pull on it... I can tighten it down as much as I can and it will still slide off. I got it for a regular AK PG and it's on a standard romanian bakelite I think PG... What should I do? I kept the mag lock installed just in case this would happen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stphnman20 View Post
What is a FEDUPWBS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezil_boi View Post
( Yes, FEDUP... you were right ).Just 1.5 cents
Old 09-25-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcholak View Post
The Range is great, Herb Bauers has a huge selection but as mentioned they aren't cheap. Mayfield has a great selection too and good people. As mentioned, Fresno Firearms isn't worth your time. Not a huge selection and it's like the guy tries to be as unpleasant as possible. I really don't know how they stay in business.
New info.

Ed Panek, the owner of Fresno Firearms, passed away a few months ago. His widow now runs the shop and is a LOT more pleasant.She is the designated transfer dealer for the gun shows at the Fresno Fairgrounds. Ed thought that his "hard sell" routine was funny back then. At the time, the knives and watches he dealt via eBay were probably making him a LOT more than the gun shop was doing. He was a former Navy guy and did a lot for military folks. He was also a salesman for IBM for a long time.

Bauer's has always been the most pricey shop in town, but has a huge selection as you said. They also have a lot of the more high-end fancy guns.

The Range is a nice indoor range, but some of the guys there are a little too 'tacticool' for me. It's very much a cop shop.

Mayfield is OK, though you HAVE to know your prices before shopping there. They have a good 'smith there in Charlie Granger (used to be GunTriks)

McCormick used to be with Old West Arms till that went under. He's mostly into the older stuff.

Haven't visited PRK here yet, though I suppose I need to

American replaced C&C, which took over TAC Supply, which was Parenti's Arms. when I used to deal with Parenti, the prices were GREAT, but it was a 1-man show focused more on ordering guns for people and supplying the cadets of the Police Academy here.had low prices.

BRECO is also more of a ordering dealer also. He was excellent in helping me receive a couple guns I got in online auctions and such. I havent been into his new place that is "western art and guns". He helped Mrs Panek get Fresno Firearms through the period after Ed died and before she got the FFL in her name. She turned around and helped Mayfield out with some recent problems they had with the State of CA.

I've probably missed a couple stores, as they change hands a lot around here. There are some other stores not too far away that are good folks, too.

Last edited by chuckdc; 09-25-2009 at 12:48 PM..
Old 09-25-2009, 1:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Wow, that's good to know that the local shop owners look out and help one
another.

Way Cool!
Old 09-25-2009, 2:06 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdc View Post
New info.

Ed Panek, the owner of Fresno Firearms, passed away a few months ago. His widow now runs the shop and is a LOT more pleasant.She is the designated transfer dealer for the gun shows at the Fresno Fairgrounds. Ed thought that his "hard sell" routine was funny back then. At the time, the knives and watches he dealt via eBay were probably making him a LOT more than the gun shop was doing. He was a former Navy guy and did a lot for military folks. He was also a salesman for IBM for a long time.

Bauer's has always been the most pricey shop in town, but has a huge selection as you said. They also have a lot of the more high-end fancy guns.

The Range is a nice indoor range, but some of the guys there are a little too 'tacticool' for me. It's very much a cop shop.

Mayfield is OK, though you HAVE to know your prices before shopping there. They have a good 'smith there in Charlie Granger (used to be GunTriks)

McCormick used to be with Old West Arms till that went under. He's mostly into the older stuff.

Haven't visited PRK here yet, though I suppose I need to

American replaced C&C, which took over TAC Supply, which was Parenti's Arms. when I used to deal with Parenti, the prices were GREAT, but it was a 1-man show focused more on ordering guns for people and supplying the cadets of the Police Academy here.had low prices.

BRECO is also more of a ordering dealer also. He was excellent in helping me receive a couple guns I got in online auctions and such. I havent been into his new place that is "western art and guns". He helped Mrs Panek get Fresno Firearms through the period after Ed died and before she got the FFL in her name. She turned around and helped Mayfield out with some recent problems they had with the State of CA.

I've probably missed a couple stores, as they change hands a lot around here. There are some other stores not too far away that are good folks, too.

Seriously!!!

Contact us at:
Sales@prkarms.org
(559)283-8666
or find us on Facebook at
http://www.facebook.com/prkarms

The original PRK-Lock exclusive mag locks. Will not fail as other designs are subject to http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=257154
Old 10-01-2009, 11:57 AM

Made a mistake on my prior posting. American didn't REPLACE C&C, but they did displace them from the storefront they were in, with the paintball/AirSoft guys. C&C is now just across the parking lot in the same building complex in Tarpey. American didn't seem to have much in stock, other than a few antique-type things (I did like the Colt 1903 they had there in the original box!)

I did go and see PRK and dropped off a Officer's LWT .45 frame to them for a moly-resin job. That is one heck of a place, with lots of stuff that would give both of our CA senators massive coronaries. Too bad we can't invite them!
Old 10-01-2009, 2:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Made a mistake on my prior posting. American didn't REPLACE C&C, but they did displace them from the storefront they were in, with the paintball/AirSoft guys. C&C is now just across the parking lot in the same building complex in Tarpey. American didn't seem to have much in stock, other than a few antique-type things (I did like the Colt 1903 they had there in the original box!)

I did go and see PRK and dropped off a Officer's LWT .45 frame to them for a moly-resin job. That is one heck of a place, with lots of stuff that would give both of our CA senators massive coronaries. Too bad we can't invite them!
C&C sucks I'll never shop with that guy he was extremely rude to me and a friend.
.................................................. ...........................
Old 10-01-2009, 2:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
New info.

Is mayfield selling guns again? I haven't been back there since they stopped selling guns several months ago.
Old 10-01-2009, 2:41 PM
Veteran Member

I'd recommend Herb Bauer if you are looking to buy anything, their ammo is WAY marked up.

OIF 07-09 Veteran
NRA Endowment Member, CRPA Life Member
Old 10-01-2009, 2:45 PM

Be sure to stop by Breco in Clovis. He has a very small shop but is decently stocked not to mention he is a really nice guy to deal with. http://brecoenterprises.googlepages.com/

and RPK off Clovis ave
Old 10-01-2009, 4:13 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:

We aim to please

Contact us at:
Sales@prkarms.org
(559)283-8666
or find us on Facebook at
http://www.facebook.com/prkarms

The original PRK-Lock exclusive mag locks. Will not fail as other designs are subject to http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=257154
Old 10-01-2009, 11:57 PM

Yeah, Mayfield is up and running again. They had their state ticket suspended over some tax matter.