Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALGUNS.NET > Announcements and Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Announcements and Suggestions This is a place for suggestions, news and updates about the site.

Old 01-24-2011, 1:43 PM
Veteran Member

Please, please have sellers post location in heading. I'm in SD & it is really time-wasting to read a post, especially given the slow loading, only to find the seller lives in SF & will only do FYT
Old 01-24-2011, 2:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamatrnr View Post
Please, please have sellers post location in heading. I'm in SD & it is really time-wasting to read a post, especially given the slow loading, only to find the seller lives in SF & will only do FYT
I agree, however location is already "required." But there aren't enough mods to babysit the FS section titles day and night.

Justin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Sometimes, arguing just for the sake of arguing, can be fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyZRC View Post
no it can't!
Quote:
YES IT CAN!
"Pink rifle disease... SPREAD IT!"
Old 01-25-2011, 2:43 PM
Bacon makes it better
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccobro View Post
I agree, however location is already "required." But there aren't enough mods to babysit the FS section titles day and night.

Justin
I'll do it. I'll check and delete nightly.
Old 01-25-2011, 2:56 PM
Veteran Member

YOUR HIRED!

Oh wait...

Justin <--- a nobody
Quote:
Quote:
no it can't!
Quote:
YES IT CAN!
Old 01-25-2011, 7:02 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know how hard this is to do, but another forum I belong to has an
"Up Arrow" in between each post that takes you to the top of the page without having to scroll back up. It's pretty convenient, and I've noticed I find myself looking for it when I'm on here.
Old 02-14-2011, 5:32 AM
Banned

By any chance we can have a forum entitled ;- Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness -: where people can discuss about SHTF scenarios and how they prepare for such events. Its just that that there are too many scattered threads but has been a very much discussed topic of late by various members. Thanks for your time.
Old 02-14-2011, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban-Warrior-2010 View Post
By any chance we can have a forum entitled ;- Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness -: where people can discuss about SHTF scenarios and how they prepare for such events.
Like Outdoors, Camping and Survival, good ol' forum number 76?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...ay.php?s=&f=76

Calguns Foundation contributor
Old 02-14-2011, 4:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post

Hmm, perhaps we needs to rename it? no one hardly talks much or threads titles SHTF over there? They're all in the off topic forum
Old 02-20-2011, 9:21 PM

How about adding a bayonet and knife forum?
Old 03-13-2011, 3:05 PM
Banned

Default Obopay for donations

Can CGN/F accept obopay.com? Debit card/bank transfer, only sender gets charged fee ($0.25 if <$10, $0.50 if $10+). There are withdrawal limits but you can ask to get them lifted.
Old 03-13-2011, 7:35 PM

I would be a HUGE fan of splitting the "For Sale" forums into separate "Handgun" and "Long Gun" sub-forums. It would be amazing to be able to see either and not have threads get buried so quickly.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:45 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban-Warrior-2010 View Post
By any chance we can have a forum entitled ;- Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness -: where people can discuss about SHTF scenarios and how they prepare for such events. Its just that that there are too many scattered threads but has been a very much discussed topic of late by various members. Thanks for your time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post

It seems that the survival discussions tend to force out the actual camping/outdoors threads. I spend a good amount of my time in the O/C/S forum, and while I like the idea of preparedness and self-sufficiency, are there enough threads (in CG's eyes) to justify the new forum? I support the split, but am trying to be realistic and hope it works out though.
REDACTED
Old 03-15-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxcult View Post
I would be a HUGE fan of splitting the "For Sale" forums into separate "Handgun" and "Long Gun" sub-forums. It would be amazing to be able to see either and not have threads get buried so quickly.
I second this!

Even those groups can be broken down even further.
Old 03-16-2011, 7:54 PM

I'm new to Calguns and wish i knew about it sooner. The only suggestion I have is to remove the geovario phone software; I have an ipad and unable to expand fonts or photos making it difficult to read, not even sure what good it does (mobile phone/ipad users). I think it best to leave it to it's regular format or at least give us an option...i'd rather focus my eyes while aiming, not this.
thanks

Last edited by torpedo-3; 03-16-2011 at 8:04 PM.. Reason: add words
Old 03-18-2011, 8:36 AM

Some out-of-state firearm sellers refuse to ship or sell to California residents. Some are outright nasty about stating their opinions. California has (maybe "had" now) one of the worlds largest economies, yet some of these people deny themselves access to this market. They also join the liberal anti's in restricting my ability to purchase firearms in the same manner much of the rest of the country enjoys. While perusing some auction sited it struck me that it would be fair to create a board of usernames of auction sellers who refuse to sell to California residents. I would like to be able to determine who refuses to sell to me, so I can refuse to sell to them. It is particularly frustrating not to be able to buy curio and relic firearms with a C&R license, even though California does not have the same restrictions it has for non- C&R guns. If Calguns members used and maintained the board, we could access a listing of those that refuse to sell to us and we could refuse to sell to them. Maybe they could use some of their own medicine so they can know the pain of others restricting their freedom like they restrict mine.
Old 03-19-2011, 3:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxcult View Post
I agree.
Old 03-19-2011, 3:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
How about adding a bayonet and knife forum?
I like the Knife sub idea. I'm an Imperial Schrade collector myself.
Old 03-27-2011, 9:54 PM

make a rule so that when an item is sold, you may not make a new post, even if it is 24hrs after the last, saying that the item is sold. of course, this rule would not apply to a legal bump of a thread that had other unsold items.
it just annoys me when i see a deal that i may be interested in and it was recently bumped, only to see that it is sold.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson_wwsc View Post
make a rule so that when an item is sold, you may not make a new post, even if it is 24hrs after the last, saying that the item is sold. of course, this rule would not apply to a legal bump of a thread that had other unsold items.
it just annoys me when i see a deal that i may be interested in and it was recently bumped, only to see that it is sold.
Make the thread starter able to "Sold/closed/locked" the thread down. No bump, no question as to if sold or not.

Justin
Quote:
Quote:
no it can't!
Quote:
YES IT CAN!
Old 03-27-2011, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson_wwsc View Post
That rule's been there all along.

69Mach1
munkeeboi
TURBOELKY
antix2
WTSGDYBBR
tujungatoes
jmpgnr24K
Old 04-01-2011, 12:11 AM

I think there are a lot of people griping about prices in the for sale forum. There should be a system of appraisal/gauging interest that is encouraged before one posts a for sale thread.

For the sake of discussion, lets say I want to sell my Springfield Loaded 1911 SS (NOT FOR SALE!). I bought it for 935 out the door, I should (or may, depending on how this could be implemented) have to go through a preliminary for sale period, where people can comment on the price if its too high or low, and can suggest a price before its made final on the for sale thread. It's like an appraisal period, to keep the seller in check, give the seller an idea of what the piece may be worth, and what kind of prices fellow Calgunners would be willing to pay. It will also eliminate false hope of a buyer getting a higher than reasonable selling price, as well as being fair to both the buyer and seller.

People could say "I think your asking price of 900 bucks may be a little, high. Realistically, if I was in the market to buy, I would pay about 800 bucks." Or, "I would be interested, but not at the price of 900, 850 sounds a little more fair." In some cases where the buyer has no idea of the actual value and is way off the mark, one could say "That's ridiculous, I've seen them go for 600.00 in a similar condition on www.-----.com" or whatever and provide a link as proof.

After the appraisal, the thread would close, and a new thread could be made, where the appraisal thread could be linked for support as to why the price is justified. This way, the seller will have realistic expectations and there are no broken hearts. And no thread crapping in the actual for sale thread.

Also, if the buyer realizes he isn't going to get nearly what he wants, he won't waste his time posting a for sale thread, bumping it for years and not making a sale because he is firm on the price.

This would also help eliminate "auctions" that occur because the buyer would have a better idea of where to set the starting price, before it is officially a for sale thread.
Old 04-04-2011, 1:43 PM
Veteran Member

I think Calguns does a great job covering many topics. However, the Firearms for Sale section is too confusing as it included every firearm that's for sale. As primarily a "hunter", I would like to see a separate category just for hunting weapons and a separate category for black guns. I hate having to sort through all the guns for sale to find legitimate hunting weapons.

Thanks,

Larry
Old 04-04-2011, 1:56 PM
Banned

LOL what is a legitimate hunting weapon?
Old 04-04-2011, 4:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N6ATF View Post
LOL what is a legitimate hunting weapon?
Sounds like that "hunting writer" that got schooled by Ted Nugent on AR-15's.

Justin
Quote:
Quote:
no it can't!
Quote:
YES IT CAN!
Old 04-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

There is no Donation Button or Link on the GeoVario Mobile Site..just FYI
Old 04-19-2011, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Elk View Post
I think Calguns does a great job covering many topics. However, the Firearms for Sale section is too confusing as it included every firearm that's for sale.
I just came to suggest a similar idea, that the Firearms For Sale section should be split up into main categories, such as Rifles, Handguns/pistols, shotguns, and collectibles. With sub sections for bolt actions, lever actions, semi autos, revolvers, pump and breach loading...etc. It would make searching for a desired firearm much easier. The seller could put it in the proper category when they post, and make it so they cant post a sale without puting it in at least a main category.

*edit: wow after posting I read through the last page and a lot of people seem to have come up with the same type of idea, sorry my intention wasnt to overwhelm you by repeating the suggestion.

Last edited by 4NDone0331; 04-19-2011 at 4:22 PM..
Old 04-19-2011, 3:22 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4NDone0331 View Post
I just came to suggest a similar idea, that the Firearms For Sale section should be split up into main categories, such as Rifles, Handguns/pistols, shotguns, and collectibles. With sub sections for bolt actions, lever actions, semi autos, revolvers, pump and breach loading. It would make searching for a desired firearm much easier. The seller could put it in the proper category when they post.
wow, so instead of looking at one forum to see if there is anything interesting I might want, I would have to look at 10 of them. Plus, you have the crowd that wants the for-sale section split up by area, such as North, Central, South. So, now we'd have 30 sub-forums

I'm interested in all types of firearms and don't want to have to look in a sub-forum for each type of firearm . I'm alsow willing to buy from someone in Northern CA and have them ship it to my local FFL. I don't want to have to look in a sub-forum for each seller's location.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 04-19-2011, 3:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
wow, so instead of looking at one forum to see if there is anything interesting I might want, I would have to look at 10 of them. Plus, you have the crowd that wants the for-sale section split up by area, such as North, Central, South. So, now we'd have 30 sub-forums

I'm interested in all types of firearms and don't want to have to look in a sub-forum for each type of firearm . I'm alsow willing to buy from someone in Northern CA and have them ship it to my local FFL. I don't want to have to look in a sub-forum for each seller's location.
Yes, over-subforuming can end up killing the whole For Sale area. When it takes too long to traverse buyers won't waste time scanning it, and sellers will find faster venues.

I would suggest eventual improved search

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 04-20-2011, 2:09 AM

Allow the same user to give more than one positive feedback. My actual feedback count doesn't match my displayed feedback count. I have done multiple tractions with the same users and they are not being counted for all intensive purposes.
The Model 610 was classified as the XM177[3] but adopted by the Air Force as the GAU-5/A Submachine Gun (GAU = Gun, Aircraft, Unit.) The Army purchased 2,815 Model 609 CAR-15 Commandos on June 28, 1966, which were officially designated Submachine Gun, 5.56 mm, XM177E1. - Wikipedia
Old 04-20-2011, 7:09 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
I would suggest eventual improved search
it would be nice. At one point last year, there were plans to implement a 3rd party search engine, but it appears that other person ran into other difficulties in life, and the project has seemed to stall out.

Plus, I seem to recall a post from a couple months agofrom Kestryll that he was not interested in improving the search engine, but I can't find the post anymore.

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 04-21-2011, 2:16 PM

Quote:

So maybe my wording was wrong, what I meant for the suggestion was that it would be nice if it was easier to search for the type firearm that you wanted instead of have to dig through everything.

Think of it more like a filter, you could select certain boxes pertaining to what you were looking for. For instance you could check boxes for what you wanted to view, if you wanted to view all the firearms then you could select all the boxes or a box marked as "ALL" or if you wanted a more FILTERED search then you could select the main category of the firearm that you were looking for such as Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols, etc... The main categories could also be filtered even more if someone was looking for something specific.

I also wasnt saying that this be mandatory that the seller select ANY or ALL of the proper categories, but I would imagine that people would have an easier time selling/trading/buying firearms if there was some organization to it.

Last edited by 4NDone0331; 04-25-2011 at 11:56 AM..
Old 05-09-2011, 10:41 AM

I logged in today and found that when using my iPhone I am now "reminded" every time I click on a new forum or the next page, that this site is iPhone native and tapatalk prompts me to review their app. Which I have done and do not want. Why can I not view Calguns anymore without this comin up everytime I click anything?
Old 05-27-2011, 8:31 AM

Open Letter - how can we make Calguns.net better?

What about a product review forum? A place were Calgunners can rate and review products they have purchased. The information can be helpful to people wanting to purchase things.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:18 PM

In the market place if there was separate forums just like there is for handguns, centerfire rifles etc. Then there would be much fewer bumps or need of that. Even a separate AR type for sale marketplace section.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:49 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
it would be nice. At one point last year, there were plans to implement a 3rd party search engine, but it appears that other person ran into other difficulties in life, and the project has seemed to stall out.

Plus, I seem to recall a post from a couple months agofrom Kestryll that he was not interested in improving the search engine, but I can't find the post anymore.
I did notice that the search engine has been running much better lately. Looks like the index got rebuilt to include 3-letter words and some 2-letter words as well. So, now searches for AOW, NFA, G3, kB, and others actually work and I don't have to use the crappy CGN Google search for those.

Thanks.

Old 05-31-2011, 6:30 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

First of all, wonderful site and thank you to all of you that put in work whether it be volunteer time or moderate threads, etc.

I've only been on here a couple months if that but here are a couple of things I would like to see ...

#1 - If someone is in violation of any rules, PM THAT PERSON vs. just editing a thread. I was in the marketplace and apparently in violation of rules #11 and #13. I was never notified directly so I had no idea, I thought I was just being ignored by the buyer. My thread text was deleted and re-edited by a moderator without any notification.

#2 - Separate Firearms For Sale Sections for Southern, Central and Northern California. This wonderful state of ours is HUGE. At the very least, require the thread title to start with SOCAL::, NORCAL::, etc.

#3 - The ability to ask questions in for sale threads. This is highly beneficial to the seller and other potential buyers. Maybe a question has been asked already from another potential buyer, the seller has to answer the same question multiple times. This would eliminate some traffic on the PM system. Questions and answers clearly marked in threads is helpful to all.

#4 - Answers from moderators ... acknowledgment from moderators at the very minimum. I posted these same questions, maybe in the wrong area, on another thread.

Here:: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=377914

The least I could get was 'wrong section' or some kind of answer? My comments were just deleted.

Again, thank you all - rock on!

Last edited by PistolGuy; 05-31-2011 at 6:33 PM..
Old 06-01-2011, 8:51 AM

Interesting topic from other member
Old 06-09-2011, 11:23 PM

Default not sure if its possible

hey, so I'm not sure if it would work, but I know many people prefer to do trades and sales Face to face. so I was wondering if there was a way to add a California map to the set up of the threads so when someone wants to search there area they can punch in there exact location and the distance their willing to travel and all the items in that area will come up first. I don't know I just thought it would be cool to find things quicker in your own area
Old 06-09-2011, 11:27 PM

I would like to see a better search feature...
Old 06-09-2011, 11:30 PM

also why isnt there a way to delete threads?