Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

View Poll Results: Where do you shoot most often?
Indoor pistol range 22 33.33%
Trap/skeet range 4 6.06%
Outdoor/all guns range 37 56.06%
Out in the desert/BLM land/private property 17 25.76%
Hunting 2 3.03%
Other (Please tell where) 3 4.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2008, 1:18 PM

Default Where do you shoot most often?

So I was thinking, how often do you ladies go shooting?
Where do you usually go, what kind of shooting do you usually do?
Do you feel welcome as a female?
Stories, thoughts, etc?
Old 10-27-2008, 3:26 PM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

i shoot mostly at an indoor range but i do prefer the outdoor range nearest to me and will be going their more frequently.

movie zombie

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 10-28-2008, 10:25 AM

The indoor pistol range is really close, so I will go after work and on days off. (Firing Line)
I go to a trap range often, try for every other weekend, get a group together. (Triple B Clays)
I would love to be able to go to the desert more often, but as I work on Saturdays, it's not as feasible as I'd like.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I try to always shoot downrange.
Old 10-28-2008, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
I try to always shoot downrange.
And do you feel welcome as a female?
Old 10-28-2008, 2:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie View Post
And do you feel welcome as a female?
I grew up in San Francisco............................
Old 10-28-2008, 3:17 PM

Answering for my wife:
April-November: 40% Private Property in the Mountains, 20% Around the House, 40% Outdoor Range
December-March: 95% Outdoor Range, 5% Indoor Range

"I point out the obvious because if I belabor the subtle it only leaves people slack-jawed and drooling." - Bill Heavey
Old 10-28-2008, 4:52 PM

Never had any problems anywhere.
People had always been nice once they get to know me.
But lots of stares from people is nothing new in or out of a range anyways. People tend to gawk more since they don't often see Gothic Lolitas, especially with big rifles and wasn't dragged to a range by a guy friend.
Old 10-31-2008, 9:22 PM

Depends on what is closest...Indoor ranges when I go after work (to work of some stress) but I like outdoor ranges on the weekends.

I do find the first few times at indoor ranges that most of the guys treat me like I don't know anything. I can understand that they should go over the rules of the range and everything but I've actually had people physically show me how to hold my gun like it is the first time I've ever touch it. Outdoor ranges are better about not doing this. But I do run into the occasional guy who does the "I see a cute girl setting up, let me show her how to shoot because there doesn't seem to be a guy with her which of course means she doesn't know what she is doing" routine. (For pete sake, can't a girl go shooting by herself?) If I have a question about something I will ask. Because of the above I normally go with my husband or a guy friend - it makes everything a little bit easier.

But right now I'm not allowed to go shooting - Doctor's orders...Something about the gun powder (or the lead in it) not being good for pregnant women and their unborn babies.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Answering for my girlfriend - at indoor pistol ranges, as she's yet to learn to shoot rifles. She felt intimidated at first, but then discovered that about a third of the people at the range are usually women, and the people at the range mind their own business, so she doesn't feel either welcome or unwelcome - she just started to mind her own business. Since it involves kissing her boyfriend after every 50 rounds or so, the boyfriend in question doesn't mind it, either.
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:12 AM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Shooting In Comfort

The best spot for me to shoot indoors is my 10 meter line at home. This where I can run around in a robe and not worry about sloshing through the mud! This is purely .177 practice from my kitchen to the laundry room. Nothing like performing domestics while simulating a live match!

The nicest indoor facility I've had a chance to compete in was at Wolfscreek, GA during the Nationals.

The rest of my time is split between the outdoor pistol range at Coyote Point in San Mateo and the indoor range in Vacaville -- Guns, Fishing, etc.
Old 11-07-2008, 9:43 PM

Steyrlp10 does what I do. I learned how to make a cardboard box into a trap to catch BB's and I use a BB gun that looks like a Walther PPK for practice.

It's actually very realistic because the slide moves back each time I fire a round. This also gives me a chance to think up different scenarios for that one time when I may have to react without thinking. So now I know how to react if i'm in any particular place in the house, and I know what I have to deal with in the daylight or at night. I also know what my backyard looks like at night and where all of the possible hiding places are for a criminal to hide. It just seems so strange to do something like this. I would never tell someone who doesn't own a gun that I practice like that, because I think they would commit me for being paranoid or crazy.

When I do practice with my 9mm, I go to an indoor range because the only outdoor range I've heard of is miles away.
"I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand." --Susan B. Anthony (1820-1906), speech in San Franscisco, July 1871

NRA Life Member
Old 11-07-2008, 10:02 PM

Fell in love with trap. . . .but my fiancee keeps telling me we need to shoot longarms at an indoor range just so I can get the feel of it. I'm new at this I'll admit but I'm excited for it!

"Yield not to evils, but attack all the more boldly" -Virgil
Old 06-14-2009, 8:23 AM

I shoot at the Chabot Gun Club. I've never had any issues. Most people just are into their own shooting. I do find if my husband isn't with me that other guys talk to me more. :-)

(A sword is never a killer; it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca, 45 AD
Old 06-14-2009, 8:52 AM

60% of my shooting is at South Bay Rod & Gun, the other 40% is up at Camp Pendleton with Santa Margarita Gun Club.
I don't like shooting at indoor ranges.

-Duct tape is like The Force. It has a dark side. It has a light side.
Used correctly, it holds the universe together. Used
incorrectly, it sticks your cat to the wall. -