Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-10-2016, 9:10 PM

Default OFFICIAL MagLatch AK Discussion Thread

MagLatch is a device for converting your bullet-buttoned AK rifle or pistol to fixed magazines instead of going featureless or registering. We are happy to assist with any questions, comments, or suggestions through this thread.

MagLatch 2x Installation Demo: https://youtu.be/vRmeiAQ7AvA

Commonly asked questions:

Compatibility
We offer both stamped and milled variants of MagLatch to fit in both types of receivers.

Can I use my existing magazines?
Your existing mags will not need modification to fit, but your existing magazines are intended for use outside of California or where the restriction is not applicable.

Modified Magazine Drawing:
Our drawing below shows the specifications for our modified magazine so that you may modify your existing magazines.

Will this make my AK Pistol legal?
We have several dealers stocking AK variants in their store with MagLatch and feel confident our device legally converts a detachable magazine firearm to a fixed magazine firearm.

Last edited by maglatch; 01-23-2017 at 8:41 PM..
Old 12-10-2016, 9:25 PM

Cost?
500 South Airport Boulevard
South San Francisco, CA 94080
www.famousfurnishings.us
Yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/famous-furni...-san-francisco
Old 12-10-2016, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ View Post
Cost?
Introductory pricing starts at $59.99, regularly $72.99.

Thanks!
F.N.G.R. Never forget your magazine again!
www.maglatchusa.com
Old 12-10-2016, 9:54 PM
Calguns Addict

There's actually a lot simpler and cheaper design like $2 or less maybe for a non detachable mag way back in the day that worked on stamped triggerguards but not milled ones.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:05 PM

It might be better to keep your gun the way it is and have the option of using it against oppressive government type enforcement people then put this piece of crap on your rifle.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have some rifles I'll register and some I won't so with that being said, here's my opinion -

This looks like way too big of a pain just to reload 10 rounds. Those 10 rounds will go quick since this isn't a bolt action we're shooting here but instead an AK.

Featureless and registration > Maglatch

Btw, welcome to the forum!
Old 12-10-2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglatch View Post
Can I use my existing magazines?
Your existing mags will not need modification to fit, but legally you cannot use MagLatch with any magazines except MagLatch spec'd modified magazines within the state of California.
This is a huge dealbreaker for me. I have eight AK type rifles, and over two dozen magazines in five calibers, and use the magazines with the original pouches and accessories whenever I get the chance. Not being able to be used with an unmodified magazine, especially at such a price point, is a bit nuts. It also looks like it wouldn't be terribly difficult to bend a bit of wire or an allen wrench to reach in to release without removing the carrier, and that could be a problem...

Some rifles either don't have a center support (milled receiver) have one that isn't standard shape (PSL bolt hold open, they're square and have additional parts) or isn't in a standard location (some 5.56 rifles)

I would consider something like this if it was able to be used with original style mags, on an underfolder, or maybe on a pistol build. At (59.99)72.99 it's a bit cost prohibitive to all but the casual AK owner. Many people have sold off many of their rifles in anticipation of the new laws, and decided to only keep the unique or fancy variants, such as larger caliber, or milled variants, and they wouldn't be able to use your product as a solution.

I would suggest you guys get into the featureless grip game, much better way to go on our rifles, especially considering that an injection molded grip would be much more affordable to both produce and design, and is a much more flexible way to go for the majority of AK owners.

I've got a few prototypes I've been working on that will be an easy bolt-on design, just like the OEM grips, but with a thicker back fin (think the wood monsterman grip for the AK, but plastic/resin) that is molded to fit with an original pattern stock, and can be made oversized so it can be fit to other parts. I'm not a commercial guy, but when you are outfitting several dozen rifles (eight AK's of mine alone) and are the ersatz armorer for your group, you find ways to do things better and more cost effective

Do I sound harsh? Probably. Some of us live and breathe these rifles, and want as little compromise as reasonably possible. Don't take my opinions as negative, I'm genuinely interested and happy to see more commercial compliance products coming out.

You want some good PR? Send a couple out to some of us to try them out and review them. If I had one to try and found that I liked it, I would definitely buy a few, as I could see how it works on my pistol , and an underfolder or two. Send me a PM if interested.

Last edited by Lingwendil; 12-10-2016 at 11:25 PM..
Old 12-11-2016, 1:32 PM

Tagged
Old 12-11-2016, 1:55 PM
Banned

I have to pass. I don't see this working for me. I am waiting for the guy to invent the fixed magazine that loads via stripper clips from the bottom.
Old 12-11-2016, 8:39 PM

I would try it out but i have a milled c39 ak pistol so it will not work. For me
Old 12-12-2016, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingwendil View Post
This is a huge dealbreaker for me. I have eight AK type rifles, and over two dozen magazines in five calibers, and use the magazines with the original pouches and accessories whenever I get the chance. Not being able to be used with an unmodified magazine, especially at such a price point, is a bit nuts. It also looks like it wouldn't be terribly difficult to bend a bit of wire or an allen wrench to reach in to release without removing the carrier, and that could be a problem...
Being able to "pick" the latch without removing the action was a big concern for us since that would disqualify MagLatch from being legal. MagLatch was actually designed and tested primarily with a paper clip. We wanted a tool that was easily accessible in case the 0.9mm allen tool was lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingwendil View Post
Some rifles either don't have a center support (milled receiver) have one that isn't standard shape (PSL bolt hold open, they're square and have additional parts) or isn't in a standard location (some 5.56 rifles)

I would consider something like this if it was able to be used with original style mags, on an underfolder, or maybe on a pistol build. At (59.99)72.99 it's a bit cost prohibitive to all but the casual AK owner. Many people have sold off many of their rifles in anticipation of the new laws, and decided to only keep the unique or fancy variants, such as larger caliber, or milled variants, and they wouldn't be able to use your product as a solution.
This particular unit is only for stamped receivers in 7.62 or 5.45. We are working on milled receivers, VEPR12's, and Saiga 12's. We'll post up a poll soon so you guys can help us decide which firearm to fix next.
www.maglatchusa.com
Old 12-12-2016, 4:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sorry.. That's dead in the water to me because you have to pretty much field strip the rifle just to eject a magazine. Going featureless with a grip wrap is an easier solution.
Old 12-12-2016, 4:51 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Just remember there is no featureless for pistols so the sweet spot for this type of product is going to be the AK pistol market. That being said, IMO, the cost is too high for that segment of the market.

We are moving so as of 6-20-2017 we will not be accepting any new business.
Old 12-14-2016, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paseclipse View Post
Sorry.. That's dead in the water to me because you have to pretty much field strip the rifle just to eject a magazine. Going featureless with a grip wrap is an easier solution.
Think more of a "fixed" mag within CA with the ability to remove it out of state. We don't believe changing magazines with our system is very efficient and top loading would be faster within CA. The benefit of the product is that when you travel out of state to train you are able to use standard magazines and use your magazine catch as intended.
www.maglatchusa.com
Old 12-17-2016, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paseclipse View Post
The Maglatch is the only alternative for AK pistol owners who want to legally avoid registration.

Great product, Maglatch, and thank you!

Click on this link to visit the BLK RFL DIV online store. BRD is a 2A dedicated clothing brand.

Old 12-17-2016, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK RFL DIV View Post
The Maglatch is the only alternative for AK pistol owners who want to legally avoid registration.

Great product, Maglatch, and thank you!
Not the only alternative at all. Just the only (commercial$$) alternative. Terribly easy to install a magazine latch block, or a set screw in the mag (above the lug) so it can't be removed, or even a solid bullet button style magazine lock with no slot, and the heads ground of the screws so it can't be removed without a dremel or grinder.

It's a cool product for sure, just at this price point it is rather limited in versatility.
Old 12-17-2016, 8:40 PM

Where can I buy one?
Old 12-17-2016, 9:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I hope to see some progress on the VEPR 12 version soon. I know a lot of people aren't into this, but for AK Pistols and Shotguns it's worth looking into. I'm even considering putting one on my underfolder to keep it a functional underfolder. Being able to use it as intended out of state is a plus to me.
Old 12-17-2016, 9:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase1 View Post
Where can I buy one?
https://www.maglatchusa.com
Old 12-17-2016, 10:04 PM
Calguns Addict

How about for 223 ak platform
Old 12-18-2016, 6:16 AM

so no more dust cover on my ak?
Old 12-19-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by townbound View Post
I hope to see some progress on the VEPR 12 version soon. I know a lot of people aren't into this, but for AK Pistols and Shotguns it's worth looking into. I'm even considering putting one on my underfolder to keep it a functional underfolder. Being able to use it as intended out of state is a plus to me.
We're hoping to have something released by June 2017. thanks!
www.maglatchusa.com
Old 12-19-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellayella View Post
How about for 223 ak platform
We didn't have any in 223 to test for this release. We're working to obtain a test model and fit the device to.

If anyone is willing to ship us their AK in 223 we will return with a free MagLatch. PM me if interested. Thanks!
www.maglatchusa.com
Old 12-19-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc16 View Post
so no more dust cover on my ak?
You may or may not run without a dust cover. The modified magazine can't be released unless the action is disassembled.
www.maglatchusa.com
Old 12-19-2016, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbo View Post
It might be better to keep your gun the way it is and have the option of using it against oppressive government type enforcement people then put this piece of crap on your rifle.
Useless, irrelevant opinions like the above go without saying, of ya catch my drift.
Old 12-19-2016, 6:28 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
Useless, irrelevant opinions like the above go without saying, of ya catch my drift.
Agreed
Old 12-27-2016, 11:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by townbound View Post
I hope to see some progress on the VEPR 12 version soon. I know a lot of people aren't into this, but for AK Pistols and Shotguns it's worth looking into.
Don't need it for shotguns. BB law only applies to rifles and handguns, NOT shotguns.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1275814

"CA law generally prohibits possession or transfer of assault weapons, except for the sale/
purchase/importation/possession of assault weapons by specified individuals. Under existing law,
“assault weapon” means, among other things, a semiautomatic centerfire rifle or a semiauto pistol
having the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and having any one or more of specified
"characteristic features" including [but not limited to] (for rifles), items like pistol grips, thumbhole,
folding or telsescoping stocks and flash hiders, and (for pistols), a second handgrip or threaded
barrel, etc. [See "SB23" PC 30515 as ameded by new law & 11 CCR 5469 regulatory definitions.]"

"DOES THIS NEW LAW CHANGE APPLY TO SEMIAUTO SHOTGUNS w/"BULLET BUTTON" MAG. LOCKS?

NO. The changes to SB23 definitions apply specifically in relation to "semiauto centerfire rifles"
& "semiauto pistols" - but not shotguns. "

"Note that Saiga-type semiauto SB23 shotguns with BulletButton maglocks are statutorily not "new AWs" even
in 2017. However, do note that law enforcement - historically with minimal correct competence in CA gun law
- may incorrectly think that ALL BulletButton-style maglocked firearms are AWs when in fact the new restrictions
apply to rifles and pistols only and not shotguns."
"A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require, that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others for essential, particularly for military supplies." - George Washington, 1790
Old 12-27-2016, 2:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdps View Post
Don't need it for shotguns. BB law only applies to rifles and handguns, NOT shotguns.
Thanks for your post, I'm very much aware of what you posted. I've been following all of the threads about this and I hope you are right even though I don't like the Maglock on my VEPR12. I don't think anyone can be 100% certain of this at this time. so I think it's good to have options.
Old 12-27-2016, 7:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbo View Post
Nobody wants to be the test case for that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlesnake_nm View Post
10/4 . Ranger pm'd me. I will chill on replying to insults with my own insults. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-01-2017, 9:39 PM

So with this installed, if I were to go out of state, I could use unmodified ak magazines and release them as usual?

Also, while using this device on my weapon in California with modified magazines will I need to keep my bullet button installed on the weapon?
Old 01-02-2017, 7:39 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWDraco View Post
I have to pass. I don't see this working for me. I am waiting for the guy to invent the fixed magazine that loads via stripper clips from the bottom.
That would be awesome (if your serious) but can't see how the round's could load..
Old 01-02-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrassnuckles View Post
So with this installed, if I were to go out of state, I could use unmodified ak magazines and release them as usual?

Also, while using this device on my weapon in California with modified magazines will I need to keep my bullet button installed on the weapon?
Yes.

If using within CA with modified magazines you do not need the bullet button. This device converts your stamped AK into a "fixed" magazine rifle, therefore no longer a need for the bullet button.
www.maglatchusa.com
Old 01-02-2017, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglatch View Post
Yes.

If using within CA with modified magazines you do not need the bullet button. This device converts your stamped AK into a "fixed" magazine rifle, therefore no longer a need for the bullet button.
So, am I pretty much required to keep the locked mag inside the weapon a trailer all times, unless I want to be arrested? Because from what I'm understanding, is if I take the modified mag out, then any standard AK mag can just slap in there and detach? Wouldn't that run afoul of constructive possession type laws? I doubt the defense of "oh, you put the wrong mag in dude!" Would hold up.
Old 01-03-2017, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrassnuckles View Post
So, am I pretty much required to keep the locked mag inside the weapon a trailer all times, unless I want to be arrested? Because from what I'm understanding, is if I take the modified mag out, then any standard AK mag can just slap in there and detach? Wouldn't that run afoul of constructive possession type laws? I doubt the defense of "oh, you put the wrong mag in dude!" Would hold up.
It's a similar situation to the FA DFM mags. You simply don't want to put the wrong magazine back in the firearm or assemble the action without the legal mag inserted.
www.maglatchusa.com
Old 01-03-2017, 4:52 PM
Veteran Member

Am I the only one who thinks this thing makes it way more complicated then it's worth? Every 10 shots Gotta field strip it, figure out where to put all the parts, use a tool to drop the mag (which if it's that super tiny Allen tool will be lost in 2 mins), and use special mags on top of it. Sounds like a 5 min reload. Why not go with a simple grip wrap, most aks come 90% ready to be featurless. And then you can drop mags all day like the free states and still avoid registration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepDog78 View Post
I set up a GoFundMe page to try to raise some money to help purchase a handgun for home defense.
Old 01-03-2017, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxINKxx View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this thing makes it way more complicated then it's worth? Every 10 shots Gotta field strip it, figure out where to put all the parts, use a tool to drop the mag (which if it's that super tiny Allen tool will be lost in 2 mins), and use special mags on top of it. Sounds like a 5 min reload. Why not go with a simple grip wrap, most aks come 90% ready to be featurless. And then you can drop mags all day like the free states and still avoid registration.
Sure it sounds like a pain however we tasked ourselves to create a fixed device for AK's that follows the law without losing features, hence disassembling the action to remove the magazine. We didn't write the law, we just made a device to abide by the law without compromise.

Special mags are not required, but legal within CA. The benefit of the device is giving the CHOICE back to Californian's, rather then being told what we can or cannot have.
www.maglatchusa.com

Last edited by maglatch; 01-03-2017 at 6:17 PM..
Old 01-03-2017, 6:13 PM

I was really excited for this, until I saw the price. Decided to go featureless for about half of that. I lose the pistol grip but gain a standard mag release. Had enough money left over to get a grip wrap for my other rifle. I still think that it's great that we have different options out there though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2017, 6:35 PM

Ordered one of these for my Zastava M92, curious to see how it works but more importantly gives me the option of selling if I so desire.
Old 01-03-2017, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxINKxx View Post
Grip wraps don't work for AK pistols. I'm making a grip wrap for my rifles, but I have to use devices like this to avoid registration for my pistols.
Old 01-03-2017, 8:10 PM

What is the difference between the pistol and rifle versions?