Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 10-23-2008, 3:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default I need Glock sight installation help

Just greeted the mailman who delivered a Warren rear and Dawson front. I got the old sights off but the rear slides on 1/3 of the way and stops. I tried hitting it with a woden dowell and hammer but it does not budge. I have seen online video from a sight company that says file the edge of the sight untill it slides in but these sights are metal. What do I do? I don't own a sight pusher either.
Old 10-23-2008, 3:50 PM
Veteran Member

When you pound those in the slide will have to be secure and you will have to wack it good. I have the sevigny tactical rear and I had to remove some metal off the bottom because it was too tight. To do this take your rear sight and place it on a file flat. What you want to do is remove material just from the bottom of the base evenly by moving the sight around on the file. File a little then try it in the dovetail again. You don't want to make it too loose. If the sight already went in the dovetail a third of the way you are pretty close.

Mark
Old 10-23-2008, 3:59 PM

You do not need to file the sights to install them. Take it to a local gun shop or range and ask if they install sights. It will likely only cost you $20. It is cheaper than a sight pusher and way cheaper than a new slide.
Old 10-23-2008, 4:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Even if I can get the rear sight in the front is going to be impossible to install without the wrench. Just got quoted $35.00 from Diablo Valley Gunworks to do it tomorrow.
Old 10-23-2008, 4:05 PM
Banned

When in doubt, let a smith do it.
Old 10-23-2008, 4:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Try sliding it in the other side, it may go far enough on to finish by
tapping it in.
Old 10-23-2008, 4:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Is the slide in a vise? I wrap my slides in a leather belt, then crank them into the vise on my workbench. Then I use brass punches so as to not damage the steel. If you don't have the appropriate tools (vise & punches or sight pusher), then the gunsmith route is probably best.
Old 10-23-2008, 4:40 PM

I think best to pay the pro to do the job, and cheaper in the long run...why take a chance on ruining slide or sights?

If you're gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:11 PM

if you dont have a tool and still want to DIY, then i recommend going with Bam Bam's suggestion of getting a vice and knocking them in. I did one set this way. It works.

In lieu of a tool, I would go with the "slip fit" method.. meaning, sanding some material off the sight- NOT THE SLIDE. I did this method on my 2nd set of sights for the rear. I took some 1000? grit wet/dry sand paper and slowly removed material off the bottom of the sight until it slipped into the dovetail.

Once there, i loctited the crap out of it.. torqued the screw.. done.. sucker hasnt moved

I've since invested in a MGW Glock Tool, and I gotta say, its been well worth the price.. it's a MILLION times easier to install sights this way than using a vice and punch..
Old 10-24-2008, 8:54 PM
Veteran Member

The only problem with the gunsmith installing the rear sight I see is if he doesn't shoot the gun. If it doesn't shoot to point of aim when he is done your going to have to move it anyway. As for the front sight I already had the wrench. Mark
Old 10-25-2008, 4:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Are you in the Bay Area? L.C. action police supply in San Jose will do any sight swap or adjstments for free on all Glocks. If you have a failure and need the part and installation, they'll take care of you. Good people in there, and you don't have to be a cop.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 10-25-2008, 7:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks everyone. I got them installed and they work great. The FO front is not as bright as I imagined but works well.