Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 10-23-2008, 9:57 AM

Default how many handguns per month can you buy in ca?

A quick ? for you experts ..........i know you may only buy one handgun per month but is it possible to purchase more if they are "used" ....for exmple FTF or FFL transferred such as purchasing 2 from here at the same time will i only have to wait the standard 10 days for both...........

Does that make sense?

Thanks Calguners
Old 10-23-2008, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

PPT transfers aren't limited to one per month... but it'd better truly be a Private Party Transfer. I don't think that PPT's are the only handgun transfers that are exempt from the one/30 days, but it's going to be the most common.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I believe you can do as many PPTs as your wallet (or wife?) will tolerate. If you have a COE you don't have to abide by the "one per 30" on new handgun dealer sales.

LA city or county has some sort of per month restriction, how it stands after the SF Prop H decision is beyond me though.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Lifetime Contributor #1
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

yeah, what they said.

New handguns via FFL = 1 per 30 days

PPT's - no limit

10 day wait applies to all
g
Old 10-23-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
If you have a COE you don't have to abide by the "one per 30" on new handgun dealer sales.
I never got around to getting my COE. Now that im buying handguns left and right - well obviously 30 days apart - Im kicking myself in the rear. I suppose I should get the damn thing

**** Insert Disclaimer here for any past, present, and future posts. Dont get butt hurt, offended, or complain about an innocent mistake, information that is not 100% accurate, or sillyness mistaken for anything other that that ****
Old 10-23-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
I never got around to getting my COE. Now that im buying handguns left and right - well obviously 30 days apart - Im kicking myself in the rear. I suppose I should get the damn thing
CR FLL 03 + COE is the correct route:

"PC 12072 (9) (A) No person shall make an application to purchase more than
one pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed
upon the person within any 30-day period.
(B) Subparagraph (A) shall not apply to any of the following:

(ix) Any person who is licensed as a collector pursuant to Chapter
44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States
Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto and who has a
current certificate of eligibility issued to him or her by the
Department of Justice pursuant to Section 12071."

I also want to encourage people to read and particapte in teh soudn edidting of the Calguns Foundaton Wiki..

Last edited by Anthonysmanifesto; 10-23-2008 at 10:38 AM..
Old 10-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

In relation to this question, if a dealer has a good price on a handgun and I want 2...can I buy them both and have him simply DROS them separately after the proper period?

And how exactly does that go. When I transfered my last gun from Turners they said I couldn't really buy one until 30 days after the 10 day waiting period, meaning that I really have to wait 40 days...FUD?
Old 10-23-2008, 10:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
In relation to this question, if a dealer has a good price on a handgun and I want 2...can I buy them both and have him simply DROS them separately after the proper period?

And how exactly does that go. When I transfered my last gun from Turners they said I couldn't really buy one until 30 days after the 10 day waiting period, meaning that I really have to wait 40 days...FUD?
Yes, unless for some reason the dealer wants to spread the good deals around to his other customers. But legally, buy & DROS one, wait, then buy & DROS the 2nd.

I'm not up on the exact cert dates. I think its your original cert date (let's say Nov 1st, wait 30 then another cert date for the 2nd gun (Dec 1st) then p/u 2nd gun 10 days later. I believe the one per 30 is based on the original cert date, not when you p/u the gun.

So in theory, Nov 1st cert date 1st gun, pick up 10 days later. Then Dec 1st cert date 2nd gun, pick up 10 days later. I think.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

If you are considering buying multiples, many gun shops also do Layaways. You are not required to wait the full length of the Layaway to pay off the gun. Simply come in at the end of the 30 days and Dros the other. Also it is 30 days from thi time you fill out the DROS, not pickup date.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Moderator Emeritus

I have done this with Turners. I don't know what Turners you're going into, but the ones I've dealt with are very good about it.

1.) Buy a handgun
2.) D'OH! another handgun I want is on sale right now, 10 days isn't even up for number 1.
3.) Put handgun #2 on layaway. Either put money down, or pay it off completely.
4.) Pick up handgun 1
5.) 20 days later, DROS handgun 2
6.) wash, rinse, repeat.

In fact, it was a Turners EMPLOYEE who recommended I do it this way so I could lock in the sale price on some handguns, since even after the 10 days was up, they would not longer be on sale.

My girlfriend actually has a layaway on a handgun at Turners right now for this very reason. She recently picked up a Ruger Mark III, so she's in the 30-day rights-restriction penalty box now. As soon as she was done waiting for her Mark III, they put GP100's on sale, so she had to buy one of those too.

Anyways, the Fountain Valley Turners rocks.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 10-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Default Multiple gun sales.

I ran into this situation myself, but the dealer was more than willing for me to pay for the guns, then just time it so I dros every 30 days.

I played it safe and spread it to 40 plus days myself. What I have noticed is I will go through a period where I will make mulitple purchases then lay off for a long time.

The issue for me is staying out of gun shops. I need to put my waist on a diet, not my wallet

Nicki
Old 10-23-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonysmanifesto View Post
CR FLL 03 + COE is the correct route:

"PC 12072 (9) (A) No person shall make an application to purchase more than
one pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed
upon the person within any 30-day period.
(B) Subparagraph (A) shall not apply to any of the following:

(ix) Any person who is licensed as a collector pursuant to Chapter
44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States
Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto and who has a
current certificate of eligibility issued to him or her by the
Department of Justice pursuant to Section 12071."

I also want to encourage people to read and particapte in teh soudn edidting of the Calguns Foundaton Wiki..
Yea, ive my my C&R to some good use
Time to pick up its counterpart

**** Insert Disclaimer here for any past, present, and future posts. Dont get butt hurt, offended, or complain about an innocent mistake, information that is not 100% accurate, or sillyness mistaken for anything other that that ****
Old 01-25-2013, 4:30 AM

Gonna kick some life into this thread with a new but related question that I'm wondering about now: I bought a gun from a private party out of state, off Gunbroker. His FFL is sending it to my FFL. Is that considered a private party transfer?

The reason I ask is I saw another gun in my dealer's shop I may like to pick up, wondering if he has to make me wait the 30...
Old 01-25-2013, 6:34 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDM View Post
Gonna kick some life into this thread with a new but related question that I'm wondering about now: I bought a gun from a private party out of state, off Gunbroker. His FFL is sending it to my FFL. Is that considered a private party transfer?
no, it isn't.

CA considers a PPT to be a transaction between 2 CA residents, who both appear before the same FFL to do the paperwork. If the seller is not a CA resident, or if he ships the firearm to the FFL, it isn't an PPT.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 01-25-2013, 7:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
no, it isn't.

CA considers a PPT to be a transaction between 2 CA residents, who both appear before the same FFL to do the paperwork. If the seller is not a CA resident, or if he ships the firearm to the FFL, it isn't an PPT.
+1 on this...I bought a revolver out of state...from a private party....the private party shipped it to my FFL...I paid the FFL fees and the DROS and picked the gun up in 10 days...I mentioned to the FFL that I would have another gun coming from the same private party for another private party transfer and was told that I was under the "one gun in 30 day rule" as it had been shipped in to him...it also applies to someone shipping within California...If it ships in it's under the one in 30 day rule no matter the circumstances...strange but that's the deal.
Old 01-25-2013, 7:27 AM

the 30 days period starts when dealer submitted the DROS to the state, not when you filled out your paperwork. it's not calendar days, same counting method as 10 consecutive 24 hours for waiting period.

LA city has its own ordinance to restrict any handgun sales to 1 in 30 days, regardless of new, used or ppt. many surrounding cities have same restriction so ask before you buy or begin the paperwork. it could be a long wait since you will need to wait until the last handgun DROS has elapsed to meet this rule before submit a new one in LA city limts...

if your DROS is rejected, CA can fine you along with LA city, but I have not heard of anyone getting fined, other than just loosing their DROS fees.

"I want the truth! - You can't handle the truth!" -A Few Good Men (1992)
Old 01-25-2013, 7:28 AM

Get the C&R + CoE. Some CA 01 FFL employees will be confused until they find the 1-in-30 exemption as an option on the DROS computer.

Reloading Clubs: SF, East Bay

Case Status: Peña v. Cid (Handgun Roster). SF v. 44Mag (Mag Parts Kits). Bauer v. Harris (DROS Fees). Davis v. LA (CCW policy). Jackson v. SF (Ammo/Storage). Teixeira (FFL Zoning). First Unitarian v. NSA (Privacy). Silvester (Waiting Period). Schoepf (DROS Delay). Haynie (AW ban). SFVPOA v. SF (10+ mag possession ban). Bear in Public: Drake (3CA); Moore (7CA); Richards, Peruta, McKay (9CA).
Old 01-25-2013, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizux View Post
Get the C&R + CoE. Some CA 01 FFL employees will be confused until they find the 1-in-30 exemption as an option on the DROS computer.
i was thinking about doing this, but did not like the idea of being subjected to annual inspection by my big brother...
Old 01-25-2013, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post
I have done this with Turners. I don't know what Turners you're going into, but the ones I've dealt with are very good about it.

1.) Buy a handgun
2.) D'OH! another handgun I want is on sale right now, 10 days isn't even up for number 1.
3.) Put handgun #2 on layaway. Either put money down, or pay it off completely.
4.) Pick up handgun 1
5.) 20 days later, DROS handgun 2
6.) wash, rinse, repeat.

In fact, it was a Turners EMPLOYEE who recommended I do it this way so I could lock in the sale price on some handguns, since even after the 10 days was up, they would not longer be on sale.

My girlfriend actually has a layaway on a handgun at Turners right now for this very reason. She recently picked up a Ruger Mark III, so she's in the 30-day rights-restriction penalty box now. As soon as she was done waiting for her Mark III, they put GP100's on sale, so she had to buy one of those too.

Anyways, the Fountain Valley Turners rocks.
Turner's has a term for these people, it's the "1 in 30 club"...
Old 01-25-2013, 7:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
If you have a COE you don't have to abide by the "one per 30" on new handgun dealer sales.
You need a COE and C&R FFL to be exempt from the 1 new handgun per 30 days rule.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 01-25-2013, 8:01 AM

Thanks guys.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:47 AM

The one-handgun-per-30-day limit does not apply to:

• Any law enforcement agency or agency duly authorized to perform law
enforcement duties.
• Any state or local correctional facility.
• Any private security company licensed to do business in California.
• Any person who is properly identified as a full-time paid peace officer who carries a firearm during the course and scope of his or her employment as a peace officer.
• Any motion picture, television, or video production company or ntertainment or theatrical company whose production by its nature involves the use of firearms.
• Any person who may, pursuant to Penal Code section 12078, claim an exemption from the waiting period set forth in Penal Code section 12072.
• Any transaction between private parties conducted through a licensed firearms dealer (not in LA).
• Any person who is licensed as a collector pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto and who has a current certificate of eligibility issued by the Department of Justice.
• The exchange of a handgun where the dealer purchased that handgun from the person seeking the exchange within the 30-day period immediately preceding the date of exchange or replacement.
• The replacement of a handgun that has been reported to law enforcement as lost or stolen prior to the time of application to purchase.
• The return of any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person to its owner.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

It is my understanding that the gun is not actually purchased until you pick it up. So, technically you should be able to start the next DROS 20 days after you pick up your last handgun purchase. By the time the next 10 day waiting period is over 30 days will have elapsed and you are within the law.

But I have been know to apply logic to CA gun laws, which is sometimes a bad move to make.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:06 PM

I believe the CA rule deals with if someone submitted a DROS request for handgun purchase within last 30 days, since the sale is not completed until the gun is picked up by buyer. You can purchase more than one handgun in 30 days and have dealers hold them, as long as you don't submitt DROS for them, unless you're one of those exemptions.

Also, FFL dealers are required to notify ATF if someone picked up 2 or more handguns within 5 consecutive business days...

Last edited by SemperFi1775; 01-25-2013 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: ed
Old 01-25-2013, 12:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

• If you have both C&R + COE: no limit on number, and it (contrary to occasional FUD rumor) does NOT
    restrict to C&R handguns
  • A regular bloke can only buy one new/regular inventory handgun per 30 days. However, he can acquire
    an unlimited number thru other legal means: purchases thru FFL-mediated PPT transfers, purchases of
    consignment handguns, and handguns acquired thru inheritance or operation of law.

As I recall, one should NOT attempt to purchase more than one new/inventoried handgun per 30 days.
    While typical response is just rejection, the attempt nevertheless (I seem to recall) falls into no-no
    category.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

Last edited by bwiese; 01-25-2013 at 12:23 PM..
Old 01-25-2013, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoligny View Post
It is my understanding that the gun is not actually purchased until you pick it up. So, technically you should be able to start the next DROS 20 days after you pick up your last handgun purchase. By the time the next 10 day waiting period is over 30 days will have elapsed and you are within the law.

But I have been know to apply logic to CA gun laws, which is sometimes a bad move to make.
The law on 30 days is based on 'making an application to purchase', which is how DROS is defined. The date is based on when DROS is submitted. http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Bu...dgun_per_month

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicki View Post
The issue for me is staying out of gun shops. I need to put my waist on a diet, not my wallet
This, I go into a shop and my ADD kicks in.

Oh shiny, I'll take one.
Another shiny, I'll take that too.

OMG SHINY! I'll take that one also!
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 01-25-2013, 1:04 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
If you have both C&R + COE: no limit on number, and it (contrary to occasional FUD rumor) does NOT
restrict to C&R handguns

[/QUOTE]Bill, does the fact that CADOJ specifically lists in the FAQ that the exemption only applies to C&R handguns constitute an underground regulation..

I am a collector of firearms and I want to purchase a pair of consecutively-numbered pistols. Is there an exemption from the one-handgun-per-30-day restriction for curio & relic collectors?
Yes, but it applies only to the acquisition of curio & relic firearms and you must have a valid federal Curio & Relic Collector's license and a valid Certificate of Eligibility.

(PC section 27535)

Quote:
As I recall, one should NOT attempt to purchase more than one new/inventoried handgun per 30 days.
While typical response is just rejection, the attempt nevertheless (I seem to recall) falls into no-no
category.
yup,

27535. (a) No person shall make an application to purchase more
than one handgun within any 30-day period.
(b) Subdivision (a) shall not apply to any of the following:
<snip>

27590 (e) (1) A first violation of Section 27535 is an infraction
punishable by a fine of fifty dollars ($50).
(2) A second violation of Section 27535 is an infraction
punishable by a fine of one hundred dollars ($100).
(3) A third or subsequent violation of Section 27535 is a
misdemeanor.
(4) For purposes of this subdivision each application to purchase
a handgun in violation of Section 27535 shall be deemed a separate
offense.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 01-25-2013, 5:28 PM

Quote:

Yes, total FUD... Many Turner's "experts" are known to spread FUD to others. I even heard one of them calling BB guns "a real firearm"....
Old 01-25-2013, 8:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi1775 View Post
I even heard one of them calling BB guns "a real firearm"....
Boxer or Feinsteins nephew gathering G2 on the "gunnies" and spreading FUD

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
-- John Dean "Jeff" Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Old 01-25-2013, 8:46 PM

sounds to me you're much more closely related to them with the tactics of names calling whenever disagreeing with someone and can't offer any fact to back up the claim....
Old 01-25-2013, 8:46 PM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
[*]A regular bloke can only buy one new/regular inventory handgun per 30 days. However, he can acquire
an unlimited number thru other legal means: purchases thru FFL-mediated PPT transfers, purchases of
consignment handguns, and handguns acquired thru inheritance or operation of law.
this^
I just found out myself when I thought I'd have to pay for my new M9 then wait two weeks to DROS because I'd recently bought a consignment USFA SAA...but I didn't have to wait at all! I almost feel like I got away with something.