Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-08-2008, 6:18 PM

Question Marlin 336A - Cal 35 Remington

Someone just informed me that ammo for Cal 35 Remington might be getting scarce eventually and just checked my supplies and I'm down to the last box. Midway wants over $1 / bullet for the least expensive ammo they have. as opposed to the 20 cents I paid last time.

So now what? Spend $100+ for ammo so at least it can be used? Sell it? Have it lay around as an ornament with no ammo?

The only other rifle is a slightly newer Ruger Carbine 44 magnum Cal which is a bit cheaper to feed. Stock up on .44 mags and just stop using the Cal 35? I don't shoot rifles too often.

Another question - can I assume that 30-30 Winchester ammo is a completely different caliber and could not (should not?) be used in these guns? I'm not sure why we have 30-30 ammo.

Please help out this (extremely) old guy.

Old 10-08-2008, 6:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I would think that it would be relatively easy to stock a lifetime supply of .35 remington, how many rounds have you fired in the last 20 years? Probably 100 or less.

30-30 is a different caliber.
Old 10-08-2008, 7:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

35 Remington is a good round.

Pretty much all hunting ammo is over a dollar a peice these days.

Your choice is to pay the price or take up reloading.

If not what do you want for that Marlin?

Last edited by tankerman; 10-08-2008 at 7:29 PM..
Old 10-08-2008, 7:43 PM

I was feeling pretty low when I started the thread at the prospect of not being able to use it, it was definitely not an attempt at a for sale thread in the rifle section, should not have even brought that possibility up. It's been in the family for a while and hopefully the kids or maybe the grand kids would take it when I'm no longer around.

No I don't shoot much cause I don't hunt but it would be nice to be able to use it if needed. If anyone has any suggestions where I could get 100-200 rounds of 35 Remington for less than $1 a round that would be great.

I've found a BUNCH of info about 9mm vs 40 vs 45 vs 44 mag in pistol ballistics type info, how does the 35 Remington compare to a 44 Mag carbine vs whatever you young guys a shooting out of rifles these days? Any links?

Here are some pics of rifles, hope this is ok to put up.

Ruger 44 mag carbine:

Old 10-08-2008, 8:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The 35 Remington is known to be a pretty good round for moderate ranges, especially for deer size game. It's pretty easy to reload, too.
all the best,
Mike
Old 10-08-2008, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post
The 35 Remington is known to be a pretty good round for moderate ranges, especially for deer size game. It's pretty easy to reload, too.
all the best,
Mike
Thanks Mike.

Just took a look at a bunch of other prices for rifle ammo at Midway

It's all expensive! Yikes! Might just buy 200 rounds of 35 Remington and be done with it cause I don't use that much.

If anyone has a link to some basic info as to what rounds are popular today that would be great. "Today" means sometime in the last 2 decades. I've been out of the loop for a while.
Old 10-08-2008, 8:42 PM

Found most of what I am now looking for!

Are these distance numbers in feet or yards?
http://www.remington.com/products/am...*R44MG2*R4570G

1280 ft.lbs at 100 yards or 100 feet for 35 Remington in that link?
Old 10-08-2008, 8:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You could get one of those hand held Lee Loaders for the 35 Remington. You're loading for one gun, I don't get the sense you want to experiment and refine reloads so much as just feed the thing with reasonably accurate loads. Really, for about $75.00 you can buy the loader, 50 brass, 1lb of powder and 100 bullets, primers.
Old 10-08-2008, 8:54 PM

Yards, thats how most ballistics are listed. Nice .44. For the ammo, try to find somebody in you area that might be willing to reload the stuff for you. Upon you initial purchase of the components it will cost the same, you save once you begin to reuse the brass. Or find somebody cleaning out the safe.