Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 10-08-2008, 2:43 PM

Default girl scouts and guns

my little sister is a girl scout, ive taken her shooting several times and she really enjoys it. she has expressed intrest in making a range trip a girl scout activity, my mother brought it up to the troop leaderish type person who said that boy scouts have a marksmanship program but the girlscouts do not have a parrellel program. i saw a website http://pweb.jps.net/~heber/ for a girl scout troop in sunnyvale that participates in what looks like the boy scouts rifle program. does anyone know if there is a GS policy that forbids firearms related activitys? if they do not can someone find the evidence that either confirms or refutes this. if this false would and my sisters troop is interest in a range type activity is anyone interest in helping set this up?
Old 10-08-2008, 3:17 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Looked at http://www.girlscouts.org/ and searched the site; didn't see anything. Looked at the local Council site, http://www.girlscoutsnorcal.org/, and at http://www.girlscoutsbayarea.org/, and nothing turned up in a search either place.

They seem neither to forbid nor encourage. "Shooting" seems mostly to be archery, though there is one activity for high-school girls that says
Quote:
CDL SURVIVOR EXTREME *NEW!
Grades 9-12
Session: 3
Fee: $690
If you ve already Survived once at CDL or think you are prepared for the Extreme
Challenge, dare yourself to show up for this program. Your team must work together
to collect pyramid pieces representing 13 essential inner qualities: Strength, Heart,
Courage, Perseverance, Luck, Trust, Leadership, Discipline, Knowledge, Commitment,
Teamwork, Ingenuity and Friendship. Be prepared to hike, swim, paddle, climb, zip,
sail, shoot, and navigate your way to success.
and their "Safety-Wise" stuff does not seem to include guns.

The troop leader can check; probably each girl would need a specific parental permission for the event - it seems out of their mainstream.

---

Some people seem to make it work OK:
Quote:
Girl Scouts On Target!

Girl Scouts-Seven Lakes Council, Inc. is partnering with Waterloo Rifle and Pistol Club to pilot an opportunity for a shooting clinic for currently registered Girl Scouts, 13-17 years old.

Did you know? Long before they played soccer, softball, field hockey or lacrosse, American women were shouldering rifles. Women picked up firearms in the early history of our country, and never put them down. From early female settlers protecting their homes, to Annie Oakley’s exhibition shooting, to Emily Caruso’s record breaking score in 2006 (earning her a spot on the US Team in the Pan-American Games), women have been active in the shooting sports.

The Waterloo Rifle and Pistol Club (WRPC) in Waterloo, NY will host Girl Scouts ages 13-17 to continue this tradition by learning competitive rifle-shooting from the ground up. Throughout 2007 WRPC will offer several three-hour shooting programs for Girl Scouts only. Each 2-3 hour program* will deliver:

o Basics of firearm safety and handling
o Competitive shooting techniques
o Information on participation in local shooting competitions
o One-on-one coaching from experienced competitive shooters
o 30 minutes of general safety instruction with regard to the rifle and formal shooting.
o 90 minutes to 2 hours of one-on-one supervised shooting on our indoor/outdoor silhouette range.
o Paper bullseye targets (for indoor shooting) or various sizes of steel knockdown types at various distances (for outdoor shooting).
o WRPC will provide qualified instructors, firearms, ammo, ear and eye protection, fully ventilated and heated shooting range.
and this older article
Quote:
Sharp Shooter: High school senior Rhianna Colli won the Gold Award--the Girl Scouts' equivalent to the Boy Scouts' Eagle Award--for teaching firearms safety to girls.
Aaaand, this little photo essay "Girl Scout Troop Attends Zouaves Junior Rifle Shooting Program March 8th, 2008" - maybe the SJ Zouaves can offer advice.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 10-08-2008 at 3:32 PM..
Old 10-08-2008, 3:20 PM
Banned

I dont remember the details, but it was my understanding that the girlscouts are an anti gun group and do not permit girlscouts to participate in shooting related activities. I heard about this some 6 ish yrs ago on the net, and included a response from the GS headquarters which stated they did not approve of this activity.

This is why I refuse to support GS and dont buy their cookies. Seriously. No joke.

I'd love to be wrong though.
Old 10-08-2008, 4:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Default depends upon the troop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal View Post
I dont remember the details, but it was my understanding that the girlscouts are an anti gun group and do not permit girlscouts to participate in shooting related activities. I heard about this some 6 ish yrs ago on the net, and included a response from the GS headquarters which stated they did not approve of this activity.

This is why I refuse to support GS and dont buy their cookies. Seriously. No joke.

I'd love to be wrong though.
The San Jose Zouaves were teaching some Girl Scouts groups basic markmanship; same as the Boy Scouts or JROTC.

You should try to encourage their participation next time they want you to buy some cookies.
Old 10-08-2008, 8:53 PM

When I registered as a merit badge councilor for the Boy Scouts the lady working the desk told me she didn't think they did guns in the Boy Scouts! I was holding the merit badge book, the rule book on activity's (including shooting) and I just smiled and assured her that it was an activity especially sense they do it at the council sponsored camp.

My advice is find where to get a leaders guide book to activity's that covers what is approved and required for all activity's. Then read it to find shooting. Asking someone you may get their bias not what is actually allowed.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:49 AM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator

I knew a dad who was taking the NRA rifle instructor course because he said that was what he needed to run a girlscout .22 rifle activity - don't know if that was a local or national policy.
Old 10-09-2008, 8:39 PM

Not sure about girl scouts, but I do know about the BSA(boy scouts). As I am a Merit badge counselor and NRA certified Rifle Instructor, and have been for many years. I have had the pleasure of introducing many young men to the shooting sports.
Old 10-09-2008, 8:57 PM

Boy Scouts can only shoot .22 rifles. BSA Venturing Crews can shoot handguns, rifles, and shotguns.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
01 Dealer 3xGuns Redding, CA
US Army MP Corps Veteran
NRA Pistol Coach Level 3

I am always looking for Beretta D models in 9mm or a Compact Type M.
Old 10-09-2008, 9:18 PM

Now I wish my dad signed me for the boy scouts as a kid.
[Luke 22:36] International Standard Version (2008)
Then he said to them, "But now whoever has a wallet must take it along, and his traveling bag, too. And the one who has no sword must sell his coat and buy one."
Old 10-10-2008, 12:11 AM
Banned

.22 only? .45 isnt really that bad, they should really let them use at least at 9mm.
Old 10-10-2008, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolf the Red View Post
Boy Scouts can only shoot .22 rifles. BSA Venturing Crews can shoot handguns, rifles, and shotguns.
Not completely true; my kids shoot .22 rifles, 12ga shotguns, and muzzle loaders at Boy Scout camp every year. They've even made their own miniballs in the Pioneering area.
Old 10-10-2008, 8:30 AM

my sister was in girlscouts when she was young and got tired of having the majority of activities be sleep overs and cook-offs and whatnot so when she was old enough she switched over to our troop's co-ed venture crew. They allow so many more activities than either the normal boy scouts or the girl scouts. If she's interested in shooting and doing other more adventurous activities check out a co-ed venture crew in your area. I'm not sure if things have changed since we were active (about 7 years ago) but I don't suspect they have.