Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Default Help! Need Access to 81 mm Mortar Sight

My company in So. Cal. is a government contractor. We just started a new project with the Navy to develop a super-precise aiming device for an 81 mm mortar. We studied the field manuals to get familiar with the sight function. Now its time to get out the calipers to measure critical dimensions on the sight for our system engineering task. We have an appointment to see a live fire excercise at a local base in December. That's a necessary step, but our engineering work will be delayed if we can't get access to a sight sooner. Because of the restricted materials in the sight, we can't easily buy one. Our sponsor is trying to help us get hands-on with a sight, but is running into the usual red tape because his request is "formal" and has to go up the chain on his end and back down the other side.

If you are at an Army or Marine facility in So. Cal. that has an 81 mm mortar sight (i.e., Camp Pendleton, Ft. Irwin, 29 Palms, or anyhwere else inside those boundaries), and are either on a mortar team or know someone who is, here is my request:

1. Arrange to sponsor a visit by me and colleage (US citizens) for about two hours (at your convenience).
2. Show us how the sight is operated; answer a few simple questions about sight function, mortar team procedures, and standard gun laying routines.
3. Let us take a few measurements with calipers (primarily on the telescope elbow).

Timing is within the next two weeks.

This project is pretty cool and on a fast track to get into service. If you can help, please contact me. I will fill in the details and give you my credentials and references. No risk to you.

We've got other contracts in precision weapon aiming. This is not the first time I've turned to Calgunners for help on a project. Each time people have stepped up and offered support.

Bruce

HighPowerOptics - Sports optics, scope services, rifle scope installation tool kits for rent
Old 10-07-2008, 5:29 PM
Veteran Member

call the PAO at the base if they say no than it's no
you are asking the wrong way if they let you see it they will get in some hot water
Old 10-07-2008, 8:54 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Good point. This is not an under the table request. I am trying to find the right person for my contract monitor to connect with. It's just taking too long for him to make the connection from his location. Someone at a base here in So. Cal. willing to say "sure I can support that" and getting it cleared with his CO will probably get this thing moving quickly.

I've done this before.

Bruce

HighPowerOptics - Sports optics, scope services, rifle scope installation tool kits for rent
Old 10-08-2008, 7:41 AM

FWIW the M64A1 is used on the Corps 81mm and 60mm mortars. While the 81's are a Battalion Asset, the 60's are organic to its respective company.
Old 10-08-2008, 2:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

To anyone who may be able to help but is sceptical, Bruce Ventura is on the up and up! He has some great references too.
Old 10-08-2008, 8:43 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepnosis View Post
FWIW the M64A1 is used on the Corps 81mm and 60mm mortars. While the 81's are a Battalion Asset, the 60's are organic to its respective company.
Another good point. Right now, we're just interested in the sight - it can be mounted on the smaller mortar, or not mounted at all. We're particularly interested in the telescope elbow, but need to confirm our understanding of all the sight functions.

Bruce

Old 10-16-2008, 3:46 PM

My brother is an 81's platoon commander based at Pendleton, he's in the field for a few days but I'll drop him an email and see if he can get you pointed in the right direction for a contact. Might be a couple of days before I hear back.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpw001 View Post
My brother is an 81's platoon commander based at Pendleton, he's in the field for a few days but I'll drop him an email and see if he can get you pointed in the right direction for a contact. Might be a couple of days before I hear back.
Thanks kpw001. We met with our Navy contacts last week to kick off our project. We're all pretty excited about the program. Still delays getting access to a mortar for measurements, though. If your brother can help, shoot me a PM and I'll send you my Navy contact info and contract# so that your brother's unit can close the loop on their side.

Should not be a problem as long as can they see we're for real and not going to waste their time.

One more thing: After last week's meeting we're now also interested in inspecting the dovetail mount where the sight attaches to the mortar tube.

Bruce

Last edited by bruce_ventura; 10-17-2008 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 10-18-2008, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_ventura View Post
My company in So. Cal. is a government contractor. We just started a new project with the Navy to develop a super-precise aiming device for an 81 mm mortar. We studied the field manuals to get familiar with the sight function. Now its time to get out the calipers to measure critical dimensions on the sight for our system engineering task. We have an appointment to see a live fire excercise at a local base in December. That's a necessary step, but our engineering work will be delayed if we can't get access to a sight sooner. Because of the restricted materials in the sight, we can't easily buy one. Our sponsor is trying to help us get hands-on with a sight, but is running into the usual red tape because his request is "formal" and has to go up the chain on his end and back down the other side.

If you are at an Army or Marine facility in So. Cal. that has an 81 mm mortar sight (i.e., Camp Pendleton, Ft. Irwin, 29 Palms, or anyhwere else inside those boundaries), and are either on a mortar team or know someone who is, here is my request:

1. Arrange to sponsor a visit by me and colleage (US citizens) for about two hours (at your convenience).
2. Show us how the sight is operated; answer a few simple questions about sight function, mortar team procedures, and standard gun laying routines.
3. Let us take a few measurements with calipers (primarily on the telescope elbow).

Timing is within the next two weeks.

This project is pretty cool and on a fast track to get into service. If you can help, please contact me. I will fill in the details and give you my credentials and references. No risk to you.

We've got other contracts in precision weapon aiming. This is not the first time I've turned to Calgunners for help on a project. Each time people have stepped up and offered support.

Bruce
I just did a google search for mortar sight an m4 was listed in june 08 and another was available for sale
Old 10-18-2008, 8:54 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr83jp View Post
I just did a google search for mortar sight an m4 was listed in june 08 and another was available for sale
I just searched and I didn't see anything of interest. Not just any surplus sight will do. It's got to be a current issue M252 mortar dovetail with M64/M64A1 sight. Thanks anyway.

Old 10-19-2008, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_ventura View Post
Thanks kpw001. We met with our Navy contacts last week to kick off our project. We're all pretty excited about the program. Still delays getting access to a mortar for measurements, though. If your brother can help, shoot me a PM and I'll send you my Navy contact info and contract# so that your brother's unit can close the loop on their side.

Should not be a problem as long as can they see we're for real and not going to waste their time.

One more thing: After last week's meeting we're now also interested in inspecting the dovetail mount where the sight attaches to the mortar tube.

Bruce
I sent my brother an email and ill keep you in the loop. Since I'm not sure where his current field exercise is I can't give you a better estimate on when he'll get a chance to get to a computer and reply.