Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:57 PM

We both work in rough areas and have changed our schedules to accomidate getting to work early and leaving work earlier. In addition I carry purchased some nice Sig P6's and some 1911's. I carry either the fullsize 1911 or a P6. My wife has taken to carrying a Officer 1911.

Hi this is "Mrs. Ninja" aka Wendy. I carry a nice small 1911 my husband originally got for himself. I have since started carrying it. I am what is considered petite at 5' and 103lbs. I have taken quite a few classes in self defense (abusive ex-"boyfrined") and I would not recommend getting anywhere near these men. Keep your distance, keep your hands free, be ready to run and call for help. I have also practiced some defensive type shooting with it. I have always been told to be sure it is a last resort.
Please be safe.
Wendy
Old 01-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Banned

Smile

My experience has taught me that the best thing is to avoid bad situations. This can mean a lot of things:

1) Avoiding rough areas

2) Staying in well lit areas at night

3) Avoiding underground parking lots

4) Avoiding bad parts of town both at day and at night.

5) Not traveling alone at night

6) Etc., etc.

If for some reason you find yourself unable to avoid a potential problem. Then "situational awareness" becomes important. Know your surroundings, the people, possible escape routes, etc..

If a problem starts, many times you can talk yourself out of it.

It's only as a last resort that force should be used.

One thing, and I don't know if it's been mentioned, is that a large dog is a great deterrent. For some reason, a lot of criminal types are afraid of dogs.
Old 01-03-2009, 2:42 AM

Since I did not see it mentioned in this thread, please consider taking a knife-fighting course with Tom Sotis of Amok!

www.edgedweaponsolutions.com

There is a 2 day class in the Sacramento Area the weekend of Feb. 28 and very nice local folks to train with. My wife came to an Amok workout with me and in 1 session learned a significant amount of practical skills against uncooperative larger, more skilled male opponents. You find out that in a knife fight, everyone gets cut. . . even the most skilled and conditioned people. I'd suspect most street thugs would rather move on than participate in that kind of encounter.

When we "wrastle around" with full contact trainers, I get "cut" most of the time. . . and often in lethal places. When I attack unarmed, I would only be able to get to her without "bleeding" if I was very lucky. It's not fool proof, and she doesn't have any dilusions about her abilities, but with a knife in hand and some training, my wife is much more formidable than without.

knife (force multiplier) + intent to strike true + determined spirit make up a lot of ground when mother nature has stacked the odds overwhelmingly in favor of the attacker.

For the price entry and continued training, I'd highly recommend amok.
Old 01-03-2009, 2:39 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by diginit View Post
This person knows what they are talking about. Although the flashlight can be almost the same as a knife. It can be used against you. My neighbor just went to jail for defending herself with a knife against a nutty ex-boyfriend. We're still waiting for her to be released.
Pepper spray is a non lethal weapon and providing it is used in self defence and not assault, no charges will be pressed by the DA. You would be released after filing a report at the station.
Wait...you seriously advocate using pepper spray over a more-dangerous weapon? Following the implications of that logic, you believe that people shouldn't get CCW permits and should pepper spray instead, right?

Anyone can have their weapon taken away. This is why you get proper training to minimize the likelihood. As for the criminal charges, you can also get charged with Assault for the use of pepper spray if the DA wants.

Pepper spray is a decent weapon. Just make sure you don't miss their face when you use it at someone 10 feet away.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:25 PM

Brazilian Jiujitsu.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:41 PM

carry a subcompact weapon...no one will know....if you carry a knife you will get over powered
Old 02-14-2009, 4:30 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
My experience has taught me that the best thing is to avoid bad situations.
When did you get the operation done?

My advice to girls: Self defense classes. Nearly anything in the right hands is a weapon. Do not feel that because you are smaller than most men - that you are at all inferior or incapable of defending yourself.

That said, there is no substitute for a CCW and the training to use it.

Postings are my own, and are not formal positions of any other entity, or legal advice.
Old 02-14-2009, 6:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Dave View Post
Brazilian Jiujitsu.
Problem with this is that it is not very good against more than one attacker. Even if you throw in some muay thai you are going to have trouble with more than one guy, whereas with a knife (frost cutlery ftw) you are more likely to come out on top.

BDD