Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 09-24-2008, 9:00 AM

Question Do you carry any weapons for self-defense?

I was just wondering if anyone carried any protective items for those "just in case" scenarios. I've ran into a few scary situations. I get scared easily probably because of my size... or maybe I'm paranoid? The most scariest incident for me was when my gf and I were walking downtown HB through the neighborhood to Main Street. Two guys got out of the car... one started walking behind us, the other across the street ahead of us, while the two others were in the car moving slowly parallel to us. The guy behind us was saying some filthy crap trying to lure us closer. We got out our phones, ran and tried to remember the plates on the old green Honda Accord to tell the police. Luckily we were only 1 block from Main where other people were. Last week a couple guys approached my car while I was at a stop light coming home from school around 10pm. There are more instances, but those two I can't seem to shake out of my mind. My bf has mentioned some things like a taser or a small revolver. What do you girls carry?
‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ ~ Jefferson

www.looserounds.com
www.facebook.com/kittycatkimchi
Old 09-24-2008, 9:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Yes. My brain and my Getaway Sticks (Legs).
My gut is good for two things, making poo and spotting crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Do not get your legal advice from Forest Rangers or Sheriffs: that's like getting medical advice from your plumber.
Old 09-24-2008, 9:10 AM
Calguns Addict

In all seriousness, always use the above when you can. But it is always good to have a flashlight and a folding knife. Small and simple to carry.

Surefire E2D defenders with the strike bezel on the front are great. Blind and strike if needs be.

But always make as much noise as possible, yell for help at the top of your lungs, create a commotion to draw attention to the situation and quickly vacate the area if possible.
My gut is good for two things, making poo and spotting crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Do not get your legal advice from Forest Rangers or Sheriffs: that's like getting medical advice from your plumber.
Old 09-24-2008, 9:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Get a folding knife. Also I suggest you take some self defense class. They have classes almost every where.. And if you really looking around, some are free.
Old 09-24-2008, 9:58 AM

Guys have so many vulnerable places to hurt them. The first place is obvious, and then there are the eyes, ears, nose and throat. We have our feet, knees, the heel of our hands, finger nails and teeth. And if those don't work, I carry my knife and pepper spray.

Here are some rules of thumb for you.

Most important is cell phone and run away

If that's not possible

Feet and knee = groin

heel of hand, tips of fingers, and fist = nose, throat, and throat

finger nails = eyes and face

Teeth = any vulnerable and exposed place

knife and pepper spray for whan all else fails
"I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand." --Susan B. Anthony (1820-1906), speech in San Franscisco, July 1871

NRA Life Member
Old 09-24-2008, 10:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Just my .02, folding and fixed blade knives are great tools and I always have one with me but they make for tricky self defense. I think that Soldier has it right, followed by the obvious areas.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:48 AM

Thanks everyone for the help. I think it's great there's actually a ladies forum.

Annie- great tips. I remember seeing a self defense video that stressed eyes, knees, and private parts.

I saw a self-defense class at the gym I go to. I'll have to check it out. I personally don't feel comfortable handling a knife. At least not yet. I know I should have yelled but at that time I froze and I went into a panic mode where I just ran and grabbed my phone.
‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ ~ Jefferson

www.looserounds.com
Old 09-24-2008, 11:04 AM
Calguns Addict

I'll teach you the same thing I taught my daughter, when running, screaming and cell phone are not an option remember these words - crotch, instep, adams apple, nose, eyes.

A knee to the crotch or if too close grabbing the jewels and squeezing for all its worth; a heel to the attackers instep (especially with high heel shoes); a fist, forearm or elbow to the adams apple; the heel of your palm upward to the bridge of the nose or your fingers, keys, bobby pins, rat tail comb (even hairspray) to the eyes - these will slow your attacker enough to possible get away.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

I carry pepper spray on me at night. And my cell phone. Am also taking Taekwondo and the class is fun. Teaches a person how to defend, evade and take action.

Here's something a LEO once suggested: Use your keys as a weapon. Put them in your strong hand, with the keys fitting in between your fingers. When you punch the assailant, you'll really hurt him and leave some marks.

And use your elbows along with your knees and feet -- shove them in hard. Make the guy sorry he ever thought about bothering you.

Plus practice your game face in the mirror. If you're out and about and feel fear, that's okay. Just make sure the look on your face says you mean business and will inflict pain.

And try to wear sensible shoes. If you need to run, might as well be able to run fast.
Old 09-24-2008, 1:30 PM

I have been training and competing in martial arts and boxing for around 10 years. During which I have heard several real life experiances from women who avoided becoming victims. I was also able to sit in on a seminar that had repeat offenders speaking on how they had assaulted women. It was a shock to say the least. They informed that the only thing that scared them away were large dogs. Not a single one wanted anything to do with a dog. They were not concerned with women fighting back, in a few unbelievable cases, they actually wanted a fight. Most had also said they had studied various martial arts in the past, or atleast had survived in jail.
I am not trying to discourage people from learning all they can about defending themselves. Just trying to push the idea of being aware of your surroundings, and trying to stay in a public and safe area especially if walking alone at night. Minimizing opportunities for attack is the most important thing for men and women. PREVENTION
A few basic self defense classes are never a bad thing. Especially ones that involve the use of a bright flashlight. Anything that can give you a chance, albeit a small chance of a lucky strike that gives time to run away is a great thing. That is the best advice I can give. Strike, push, scratch, whatever you can, scream, and run. A few basic self defense classes will not turn you into bruce lee. I have only met, in all my years, 2 women who were able to successfully stand their ground and ended up hospitalizing their attackers. Both had several years of dedicated training. I emphasize this point because I do not want people to have a false confidance that might lead them to put themselves in avoidable dangerous situations.
Tasers and pepper spray are a great option. I have heard very positive results from both. The only problem is, they must be in hand before the confrontation. Can you get to your weapon if someone grabs you? That is where the self defense classes could save you.
Whichever method you choose, make sure it is drilled into your brain. Things are very different in real time, and freezing is not an option. Train as close to real life as possible.
Hopefully I provided some usefull info.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:12 AM

Great discussion!

I'm a volunteer self-defense teacher, and I live in a pretty rough town. I've developed a sort of progressive series of self-defense concepts for myself. And don't forget, most women (something like 80%, from the last Dept. of Justice statistics I found) are attacked by someone they already know, or are close to. So cultivating good taste and judgment in the men in your life is probably the best preventative action of all!

The best fight is a fight avoided. So, prevention techniques I use:

Level 1: Awareness. Keep your eyes open and you brain alert any time you're out in public, or away from the safety of your own home. The folks who use Jeff Cooper's color code of awareness call this being in Condition Yellow (relaxed attentiveness) as opposed to Condition White (not paying attention). I also minimize things that distract me; I don't talk on the cell phone while walking; I put my back to a wall, look around, make my call, and then continue. I don't use an ipod or anything with headphones that could restrict my perceptions, and if I end up going out and getting tipsy, I wait till I'm sobered up before heading home.

2. Evasion and preparation. If something or someone does catch my attention, I keep an eye on it. If someone crosses the street towards me without a reason, I look them in the eye, assess the threat, and decide whether I want to cross the street to avoid 'em. If I get a bad vibe from someone, I have no qualms about telling them, calmly, to back off; or simply leaving. If the threat level increases, my "Getaway sticks" are ready to carry me away. My voice is ready to scream, even if my female socialization tells me not to rock the boat. My cell phone is out, with the local police # up on the screen. If you wear long hair, keep it pinned up when out; I've heard of many a case in which bad guys use hair as a handle. Shoes you can run in are not a bad idea at all.

3. Readiness to act. I've trained myself to trust my gut, and MOVE when my instincts tell me trouble is up. Women are so trained in politeness and deference, and we have to get over it when our lives are at stake. As said above, freezing is not an option.

4. Weapons. My basic weapon is my own body. I've trained a lot in self-defense, and drilled fighting techniques into my body until they come out instinctively. Still, I know I'm not invincible, and self-defense training is a perishable skill. I highly recommend finding a class, and taking training at least once or twice a year. At the very least, it helps train out your instinct to freeze, and replaces it with the instinct to run or fight. If you must fight, go for the soft spots: we have our students repeat, "eyes, throat, groin, knees." Go for stomping the instep, nailing the kidney area, and striking the nose, too.

If empty-hand techniques don't work (and remember that you do have to get to the weapon and have it in hand, or it's useless), a good Surefire E2D or similar flashlight (like Soldier415 mentioned) can jack-light an attacker, and the flashlight itself can be a close-quarters striking weapon. My GF swears by her Surefire 6P, and carries it all the time.

Pepper spray and similar products can be great, but I won't carry 'em unless I have a training class, and those are tough to find. They're also not foolproof, and they won't disable every attacker (especially people who are drugged up or who've been pepper sprayed before). Same with Tasers. I wouldn't carry a stun gun for love or money; the teacher in a tactical movement class I attended last week had us pass around a stun gun and shock ourselves to demonstrate how useless they were. It was less painful than being stung by a bee--total crap.

I often carry a folding knife with a pocket clip (to comply with CA and local laws), but I'd really like to get more training--it's a goal for the next few months. I do have an acquaintance who was attacked by three men last month, one with a gun. They did make off with her purse, but when they tried to rape her, she whipped out her knife, charged the guy with the gun, and took a vicious swipe at his face. They all ran, and she was unharmed. You never know what's going to happen in an attack, though; they're all different, and conventional wisdom is that you shouldn't be bringing a knife to a gun fight.

There's a snowball's chance in hell that I'd get a concealed-carry permit for a gun around here (and the same is likely the case in LA), so I don't do it. At home, of course, my home-defense gun is in a quick-access Gunvault safe, ready to rock. I didn't have this setup, either, until I got a bunch of training in safety and technique at Front Sight and elsewhere. IMO, a gun is a serious responsibility, and I wanted to be sure I knew what I was doing in terms of legality, safety, and accuracy before I loaded it up.

Last edited by Nemo; 09-25-2008 at 12:18 PM..
Old 09-25-2008, 11:16 AM
Calguns Addict

http://cgi.ebay.ca/3-Security-Cat-ke...QQcmdZViewItem

I knew a lady that carried one of these......

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post

Soon it will be clearly immoral to routinely violate the bill of rights like the California courts so enjoy today.

-Gene
Old 09-25-2008, 11:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopi View Post
http://cgi.ebay.ca/3-Security-Cat-ke...QQcmdZViewItem

I knew a lady that carried one of these......
Not a good idea in California. Potential violation of PC12020.

A Surefire E2D flashlight is one of the greatest self defense weapons you can carry. Blinding an attacker can give you the necessary window to run like hell. Carrying something else isn't a bad idea either for those times when you can't run fast or far enough, but the E2D or similar flashlights are useful enough that it's a good thing to always have with you.
These posts are Fiction. They do not contain legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer. Any resemblance to real persons are pure coincidence. These posts may pose an inhalation hazard, reading can be harmful or fatal. No statements made on this forum are meant to represent any corporate or business entity, others, or myself. Especially not myself.

Stop duping answers, help expand the FAQ.

Why yes, that is me in my avatar and yes, I AM wearing a life jacket.

WTS Keltec P11
Old 09-25-2008, 4:07 PM

Well, since carrying a pistol around So-Cal without a CCW isn't quite legal, your next best bet for creep repellent is a Kimber LifeAct. Two shots of high power OC. Seems like it would work pretty well.
It's a pretty slick device a little bigger than an old pager. I have one for a woman I care about...
Old 09-25-2008, 4:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSteel14 View Post
Well, since carrying a pistol around So-Cal without a CCW isn't quite legal, your next best bet for creep repellent is a Kimber LifeAct. Two shots of high power OC. Seems like it would work pretty well.
It's a pretty slick device a little bigger than an old pager. I have one for a woman I care about...
The only irritating thing about owning pepper spray, is if you live in LA.

They require a permit, unless I'm completely misreading the penal code here. The worst thing is that if you're not an LA resident, you can't even get a permit to have the "tear gas weapon" (i.e. pepper spray) in the city of LA.

Quote:
SEC. 55.04. TEAR GAS WEAPONS – PERMITS.

(Added by Ord. No. 151,335, Eff. 9/15/78.)

No person shall purchase, possess or use any tear gas or tear gas weapons without having first been issued a written permit therefor by the Chief of Police. Such permit shall be issued upon a finding by the Chief of Police that the applicant has satisfied all of the following conditions:

1. Is a resident of the City of Los Angeles.

2. Is not a minor.

3. Has not been convicted of a felony.

4. Is not addicted to any narcotic drug.

5. Has not been convicted of any crime involving assault.

6. Has not been convicted of misuse of tear gas under Section 12403.7(a)(8) of the Penal Code of the State of California.

7. Has completed a course certified by the Department of Justice of the State of California in the use of tear gas and tear gas weapons pursuant to which a card is issued identifying the person who has completed such course. Such a course may be taken in any training institution certified by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training to offer tear gas training.

No permit required by this section shall be issued to any person until such person shall have paid to the Chief of Police a permit fee of $35.00, which shall be non-refundable in the event the application is denied. Such permit shall be valid for a period of seven years from the date of issuance and shall be non-transferable. Any permit issued hereunder shall be revoked by the Chief of Police if the applicant no longer meets all of the conditions set forth hereinabove.
Old 09-25-2008, 4:56 PM

OP lives in HB... Why the hell would she want to go to LA?

Really though. If some LAPD tosses her purse during a traffic stop do you really think he is going to write up a girl for carrying a self defense device?
Old 09-25-2008, 5:13 PM

i carry a utility knife, for utility purposes. but if it comes down to it, it can be used in other ways
Old 09-25-2008, 5:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
OP lives in HB... Why the hell would she want to go to LA?
Well, the overall thought was to warn anyone who does live in LA to make sure they get one of these permits.

Quote:
Really though. If some LAPD tosses her purse during a traffic stop do you really think he is going to write up a girl for carrying a self defense device?
If he's annoyed enough and is looking for something to charge her with, sure. Maybe he's upset because he just noticed that she was filming his "driving while blonde" stop and won't give up the camera?
Old 09-25-2008, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammaton76 View Post
Well, the overall thought was to warn anyone who does live in LA to make sure they get one of these permits.

If he's annoyed enough and is looking for something to charge her with, sure. Maybe he's upset because he just noticed that she was filming his "driving while blonde" stop and won't give up the camera?
Well yeah, definitely good info. LA's municipal laws are too much sometimes.
Old 09-25-2008, 7:03 PM
Banned

Watch this video.

Listen to, Bas... he's nuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3K-mrlYG7Y
Old 10-01-2008, 10:59 PM

I carry a full size 1911 in my Galco purse w/ a vaild concealed permit.
Old 10-05-2008, 5:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DedEye View Post
Not a good idea in California. Potential violation of PC12020.

A Surefire E2D flashlight is one of the greatest self defense weapons you can carry. Blinding an attacker can give you the necessary window to run like hell. Carrying something else isn't a bad idea either for those times when you can't run fast or far enough, but the E2D or similar flashlights are useful enough that it's a good thing to always have with you.
On the flip side, the E2E (and similar flashlights) are still just as bright and remain potential striking implements (as is virtually any weighted, hand-held object) - they also don't look like they were designed to rip someone's face off. I'm kind of ambivalent about "weaponizing" flashlights (and pocket knives to a lesser extent). Talk about them like they're weapons and people start thinking of them as weapons. Weapons are typically frowned upon/banned. As any who carries daily can relate, knives and flashlights are tools 99.99% of the time.

The E2D's crenellations would probably leave more prominent marks if you struck an assailant in the face, making it potentially easier to ID them later on. In my opinion, that is its sole advantage.

Quote:
Potential violation of PC12020
I'd like to see something that ISN'T a potential violation of PC 12020 - the law is ridiculously imprecise. Assuming you're referring to felony possession of "metal knuckles":

Quote:
(7) As used in this section, "metal knuckles" means any device or
instrument made wholly or partially of metal which is worn for
purposes of offense or defense in or on the hand and which either
protects the wearer's hand while striking a blow or increases the
force of impact from the blow or injury to the individual receiving
the blow. The metal contained in the device may help support the
hand or fist, provide a shield to protect it, or consist of
projections or studs which would contact the individual receiving a
blow.
Really the only way the pictured item could be construed as "metal knuckles" would be because of the metal keyring (which is ludicrous, but possible). Now PLASTIC knuckles -

Quote:
12020.1. Any person in this state who commercially manufactures or causes to be commercially manufactured, or who knowingly imports into
the state for commercial sale, keeps for commercial sale, or offers
or exposes for commercial sale, any hard plastic knuckles is guilty
of a misdemeanor. As used in this section, "hard plastic knuckles"
means any device or instrument made wholly or partially of plastic
that is not a metal knuckle as defined in paragraph (7) of
subdivision (c) of Section 12020, that is worn for purposes of
offense or defense in or on the hand, and that either protects the
wearer's hand while striking a blow or increases the force of impact
from the blow or injury to the individual receiving the blow. The
plastic contained in the device may help support the hand or fist,
provide a shield to protect it, or consist of projections or studs
that would contact the individual receiving a blow.
are not illegal to possess or carry. Since they cannot be commercially sold in CA, they might be hard to get a hold of.

As to WHY someone would carry something like that on their keyring, I'm struggling to come up with a solid rationalization. It seems to me you could just as easily strike an attacker with the keys (as a previous poster mentioned).

Somebody mentioned training with a knife. At a minimum it's a good idea to practice handling. It's REAL easy to fumble when trying to open a folder under stress and either drop it or cut your fingers. Because of this, I don't recommend stress-simulation practice with anything but a trainer. With a trainer, it can be illuminating to do some heavy exercise (heart pounding, adrenaline flowing, sweaty palms, shaky hands) and THEN try to access/deploy.

Hopefully, everyone here will combine training/practice, tools, and mindset. For example, I know some people who carry pepper spray, but have never even tried spraying it or accessing under stress. The important thing is to avoid the placebo effect - tools/weapons/training are not talismans that magically mean you'll "win" or that it's suddenly safe to "fear no evil."

Girl: "They're going to come by and pick me up any minute"
Me: "You should call them and have them meet you over there where there's people and more light"
Girl: "No, it's okay, I've got pepper spray"

Please stay safe, all

People generally quarrel because they cannot argue -- G.K. Chesterton

It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties -- James Madison
Old 10-05-2008, 6:03 PM
Veteran Member

I won't rehash everything that's already been said, but will add a few things.

1. You're brain is your most powerful weapon. The fact that you took action when when you did, and are now thinking about your other options, puts you ahead of 90% of other women.

2. As for the other 10%, IMHO, training is key, whatever the weapon is. There are lot's of options out there for it as others have said, but make sure you get in some actual mat time with a live opponent that fights back. Drilling strikes, and hitting a bag are all well and good, but you absolutely need to know that you can still react after you've been hit.
Old 10-06-2008, 8:27 AM

Wow, I never realized I'd receive such awesome input. Thank you everyone. I think I'd like to carry around some type of spray although from reading everyone's post self defense is key.

www.looserounds.com
Old 11-10-2008, 7:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Get yourself some Sabre 3-in-1 OC/CS. That still will drop anyone like a rock, you can get it at big5 for under $20. Just make sure you don't get the Sabre Red since it doesn't have the CS in it just OC.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 11-10-2008, 7:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Take some self defense classes (real ones, not the ones at the gyn. Forgive my prejudice, but those are generally useless feel-good enterprises). With knives, pepper spray, etc. make sure you know what you're doing and have practiced it. Make sure you've practiced your reaction to the unexpected assault (freezing even for a few seconds isn't a good option).

With all that, getting out of the situation is the best option. The next best is probably a big dog, if you can afford one. It takes a lot of one's time to have one. Getting a concealed carry permit is a good option, as well. One can dream, right?

A good option is also to avoid the areas you know are dangerous. The problem with that is that the crime is spreading into good areas, with all the political correctness and cultural changes.

Also, Kimber makes those OC "pistols", the ones that shoot out a charge of OC/pepper spray". I haven't heard of them being used though, so if anyone has, please, chime in.
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 11-10-2008, 9:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The best self defense is to stay aware of your surroundings and always have a quick way of escape.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 11-16-2008, 10:46 AM

Default CN/CS ("tear gas") vs. OC (pepper spray)

The best advice here is about awareness. The "keys through the fingers" stuff is dubious, though -- I'd use the "kitty cat" keychain instead, since there's no law against carrying them (I bet you can order them online despite living in Cali). I think that the suggestions about carrying a tactical flashlight (Surefire, etc.), pepper spray, and folding knife are very good. That's what I carry most of the time (not all at once, necessarily, but usually at least one or two of them on me), and I'm a 6'1" guy (though I do have a disability that prevents me from running).

Anyway, what I wanted to share about tear gas / pepper spray:

While I agree that most police officers will PROBABLY not bust a woman for carrying tear gas (CN or CS) spray, there is always the possibility of legal trouble, especially if it were used on someone. You don't want that hassle in general, and if you were to try to apply for CCW at some point (say, if you moved to a more CCW-friendly county), it could come back to haunt you.

My little bit of experience is this: I took a training / certification class to carry "tear gas" (CN / CS spray) at LA City College back in the early 90s before pepper spray became available. The class/cert cost $50 (including a can of spray) and was good for a year or two. You can still get this kind of certification, usually found at places that do security guard training.

My understanding is that, today, CN/CS ("tear gas") still requires a certificate to carry in California, per PC 12020, but pepper spray does not. The only limitation on pepper spray carry is size: I believe 2 oz. is the max. size can you can carry.

Anyway, I agree that the best formulation is the 4-way combo of CN+CS+OC (pepper) + invisible dye that shows up under ultraviolet light, but technically you would need the CN/CS cert to carry this. There is pepper spray (without CN/CS) that contains the dye that helps the police identify the perp if they catch him.

Fox Labs pepper spray is HELLA hot, and should do you just fine. I believe the LAPD carries Fox. You can get it in a good 2 oz. can, with flip top or open top ("cop top"), in a variety of holsters, etc., and a choice of stream or fog pattern. Or you can get the smaller "keychain" size with the manual safety switch. Copsplus dot com is a good place to buy, but there are many online sources.

Remember to check them every once in a while with a short spray to make sure they still have pressure, and you should probably replace them once a year (pick a date you'll remember and do it then). And it's a good idea to PRACTICE with them, or, better yet, take a class.

One more thing... might be a good idea to pick up some Sudecon wipes (antidote) in case you get zapped with your own spray by accident. You'll need at least two wipes per incident.

Be safe out there.
Old 11-16-2008, 2:47 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Oakley View Post
Here are some rules of thumb for you.

Most important is cell phone and run away
No. The first, and most critical, rule is to pay attention to your environment.

What are you walking into? Who else is there? Where could Mr. Bad step out from that puts me in reach of him?

Most victims are victims because they are either ignorant and walked right into a situation they easily could have avoided, or act like an timid target. DON'T be afraid to turn around and go back into an office, house, store, etc. if the outside situation feels wrong.
Old 11-18-2008, 3:46 PM

Well my girl works a two places in down town Sacramento, the state and a convenience store. So far the state has yielded no problems as she is out at 5 pm along with a large crowds of people. But the store she has had someone try and grab her neck, and follow her to her car when leaving work, and a incident with a bum stealing alcohol. And seeing as Sacramento is extreme against CCW when I was buying a rifle she was eyes folding knifes so she got one and I thought her to use it. As I always carry one or two on me. I am also looking into getting her a taser and or pepper spray. She hardly need all of that but she wants it. She could easily take me and im 6’2’ at 250lbs but what ever helps her against those crazy bums. The key is leaning how to use what ever you might want to use. Be it a knife, pepper spray, taser, or a big stick. if you don’t know how to use them and defend them against being taken away, or how to properly use them against an opponent its almost useless to carry them with you. I tought her well with the knife but before she gets anything else she defiantly needs to take a class for them. I’ll probably take them with her, cause I might just end up with a taser myself, As I will more then likely get jealous of hers.
Old 11-18-2008, 3:54 PM
Calguns Addict

self defense classes are probably the best idea
A knife is even better but only if you think you would honestly be able to use it if you needed too
pepper spray would work too but probably not as good a deterrent as a knife
Old 11-18-2008, 4:03 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

The good thing about a knife is that a) it's a visual threat to the dirtbag, and b) you don't have to be lethal with it to use it effectively and get away. Take out the guy's bicep, forearm, tricep or inner thigh, and he is probably going to take the message that the victim isn't worth the effort and pain.

Michael Janich offers great courses on defensive knife skills, and I highly recommend them for anyone who wants to carry a blade for defense. The problem for a lot of a women (and I know that this is a stereotype, but there is truth to it nonetheless) is that they don't have the decisive ruthlessness that you need to cut your way out of a bad situation. That is why they need proper training if they are going to carry a knife. (And, yes, this is also true for many men.)
Old 11-19-2008, 9:27 PM
C3 Leader

Learning to box and shooting a .45 offhand were the best things I picked up in taking care of myself after an abusive relationship. Watching out for yourself is one thing - protecting your kids from the same abuser is another.

Just because you're female doesn't mean you have to put up with crap.
Old 11-20-2008, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
The good thing about a knife is that a) it's a visual threat to the dirtbag, and b) you don't have to be lethal with it to use it effectively and get away. Take out the guy's bicep, forearm, tricep or inner thigh, and he is probably going to take the message that the victim isn't worth the effort and pain.

Michael Janich offers great courses on defensive knife skills, and I highly recommend them for anyone who wants to carry a blade for defense. The problem for a lot of a women (and I know that this is a stereotype, but there is truth to it nonetheless) is that they don't have the decisive ruthlessness that you need to cut your way out of a bad situation. That is why they need proper training if they are going to carry a knife. (And, yes, this is also true for many men.)
A friend of mine just used a knife in Oakland to stop herself from being raped by 3 attackers, one with a handgun. When she opened her folder and went for her attacker's face, they decided it wasn't worth the trouble.

Looks from his site as if Michael Janich isn't doing much teaching these days. Any other blade training resources around the state?
Old 11-20-2008, 6:20 PM

I would actually not recommend a knife for a woman/girl to carry. When you use a knife that means you are going to be in physical contact with the attacker. All it takes at that distance is a split second for that attacker to grab the womans wrist and wrestle the knife from her and use it against her. With a knife, unless you are well build and strong, you will likely only get one chance to make disabling blow which in and of itself is difficult with a knife. I would recommend a flashlight and pepperspray.
Old 11-20-2008, 7:17 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightShooter View Post
With a knife, unless you are well build and strong, you will likely only get one chance to make disabling blow which in and of itself is difficult with a knife.
It all depends upon your definination of "disabling." With 7-10 pounds of pressure behind the blade, I'll sever the muscles in your forearm that control your ability to close your hand. And all I have to do is slash that muscle as you reach in for me.

With reasonably minimal training a person can learn a small handful of moves that will help you fight off attacks with hands, a knife, or a club.

The point being is that a) it doesn't take any extreme strength to be effective, and b) you don't have to be a CQB-trained Navy Seal to defend yourself with a knife against a common dirtbag.

Pepper spray isn't useless, but it does require you to deploy it and aim it. Additionally, it doesn't quite radiate the "I'm going to seriously hurt you" message that drawing a knife does.

If you are willing to get training, choose a knife. If not, choose pepper spray.

As for Janich classes, Michael will travel if someone is willing to coordinate the class and round up students. We just hosted one at Richmond in September, and we can bring him back if there is enough interest.
Old 11-20-2008, 8:05 PM

I agree that with training its not such a bad idea but even with training you would have o practice enough to where it became instinct when the pressure is on. Something most people dont do. Even if you slashed one arm, an attacker isnt going to attack you by just reaching for you. They are going to attack by lunging on you. A good clean cut doesnt cause immediate pain so the attacker is not likely to reel back after being slashed and is likely to continue attacking until they realize the severity of the injury which could be far too late. Pepper spray in the eyes or even light from a flashlight is immediately (although temporarily) disabling and causes instant pain feedback. I would only recommend a knife as a weapon to someone who is sure that even in a hand to hand struggle that they can maintain control of the knife and deliver effective subsequent blows with it. This applies not only to women but also to men. You must train, you must practice, and you must be prepared. I have thought about getting a knife for my girlfriend but she is maybe 5'10" and 120 pounds with no formal training so I decided against it. We even did a thing where i gave her a fake knife and had her try to defend herself against me. I was able to easily disarm her and thats why i decided against the knife. I think anyone considering using a knife should try the same thing to see how they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
It all depends upon your definiation of "disabling." With 7-10 pounds of pressure behind the blade, I'll sever the muscles in your forearm that control your ability to close your hand. And all I have to do is slash that muscle as you reach in for me.

With reasonably minimal training a person can learn a small handful of moves that will help you fight off attacks with hands, a knife, or a club.

The point being is that a) it doesn't take any extreme strength to be effective, and b) you don't have to be a CQB-trained Navy Seal to defend yourself with a knife against a common dirtbag.

Pepper spray isn't useless, but it does require you to deploy it and aim it. Additionally, it doesn't quite radiate the "I'm going to seriously hurt you" message that drawing a knife does.

If you are willing to get training, choose a knife. If not, choose pepper spray.

As for Janich classes, Michael will travel if someone is willing to coordinate the class and round up students. We just hosted one at Richmond in September, and we can bring him back if there is enough interest.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:54 AM

I'm interested in the Janich class--I'll talk to my self-defense group and see if there is any interest in a class for them, too. We have access to a dojo, if that matters.

There are plenty of women who are quite capable of using a knife at close quarters with a bit of training. Trying techniques on a husband or boyfriend isn't an accurate indicator of effectiveness--it's tough to go full force on someone you care about.

Not to say that flashlights and pepper spray aren't excellent tools, as well.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:00 PM

Never tell the nice officer you carry said knife for self defense. I've heard of some uninformed LEOS saying "thats illegal" you can't carry a knife for "self defense" "thats a violation of 653k p.c." or some crap like that.

Heard a Fairfield LEO say the above quotes at the local mall cutlery shop.

Tell the officer that it is your thread cutter or box cutter.
Old 01-02-2009, 9:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightShooter View Post
I would actually not recommend a knife for a woman/girl to carry. When you use a knife that means you are going to be in physical contact with the attacker. All it takes at that distance is a split second for that attacker to grab the womans wrist and wrestle the knife from her and use it against her. With a knife, unless you are well build and strong, you will likely only get one chance to make disabling blow which in and of itself is difficult with a knife. I would recommend a flashlight and pepperspray.
This person knows what they are talking about. Although the flashlight can be almost the same as a knife. It can be used against you. My neighbor just went to jail for defending herself with a knife against a nutty ex-boyfriend. We're still waiting for her to be released.
Pepper spray is a non lethal weapon and providing it is used in self defence and not assault, no charges will be pressed by the DA. You would be released after filing a report at the station. You can nail your assailant at 10 feet, It's effects last a half an hour,(as opposed to the 30 secondes provided by a stun gun or taser) and you won't have blood on your hands.

The DOJ knows that two guys with semi autos that have a folding or collapsable stock, or pistol grip could take out California's entire police force, SWAT, and the National Guard. Jeeze, that pistol grip and stock are really dangerous...