Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:23 AM

Default What is your favorite hand gun?

Ok ladies! If you had to pick a top 3, In order, what would your favorite handgun and caliber be and why?

1. Springfield XD .45
2. Sig Saur P229 .40
3. Springfield 1911 .45

I like the grips of all these guns, which is important to me cause I have smaller hands. The sig 226 just feels too big, and the 1911's skinny grips feel really comfy! Also the XD is a good fit too...way better than a glock IMHO

You not getting it unless you're loaded like Bill Gates or have game like Neil McCauley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
The wife told me tampons are on sale this week. She can pick you some up while she's out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edward View Post
What ever happened to "While I do not agree with what you have to say, sir, I'll defend to the death your right to say it."?
Old 09-24-2008, 7:47 AM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

smith and wesson model 60 j-frame .38/.357 snubbie.

i'm really like my other smith revolvers as well especially the new to me model 66 with target master grips. oddly enough the larger grips aren't a problem as my hand is small enough to fit right up close to the hammer. its a nice k-frame and the weight makes it a pleasure to fire at the range [absorbs a lot of the kick].

movie zombie

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buy a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 09-24-2008, 11:03 AM

I just love my SA XD 9mm.

I also like the M1911A2. The M9, not so much.
"I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand." --Susan B. Anthony (1820-1906), speech in San Franscisco, July 1871

NRA Life Member
Old 09-24-2008, 6:22 PM
Veteran Member

I find women to like my S&W model 17-4 .22lr 6" revolver a lot, fun to shoot with little recoil and blast. Also women seem to like the looks of my Star BM 9x19 with a factory chrome mirror like finish and factory faux mother of pearl grips.

Do any of you women have trouble with the double action pulls on revolvers? Many men reccomend .38special snub nose or full size revolvers to women. May not always be best. Womens hand strength is roughly generally 1/2 that of a man I have heard.

Any of you have trouble pulling back the slide on a semi auto to chamber or eject a round? Some guns like the .40S&W versions of the CZ75 have little to grip on to due to slide riding inside the rails on this design and heavy recoil spring.
Old 09-24-2008, 8:16 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

no problem with the hammer on a smith and wesson. i don't shoot single action as all my revolvers are double action. admittedly, i did when i first went to the range but now i don't bother with the hammer at all.

still working on the slide issue. developing technique has made a world of difference. once i'm more comfortable with it and find a SA that fits my hand, i'm going to buy one.

movie zombie

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buy a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 09-25-2008, 12:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
no problem with the hammer on a smith and wesson. i don't shoot single action as all my revolvers are double action. admittedly, i did when i first went to the range but now i don't bother with the hammer at all.

still working on the slide issue. developing technique has made a world of difference.
This is a good habit to get into even with DA revolvers that have a single action capability.
Old 09-25-2008, 5:24 AM

1. S&W 686 .357 magum. This is my tried and true favorite, and mine has been my sidekick for long time.
2. Colt Gov't 1911 .45. I love the way it looks, feels and shoots.
3. S&W 500. My newest handgun and a whole lot of fun!

This was tough because I haven't yet run across a caliber nor bought a gun I didn't like.
Old 09-25-2008, 7:08 AM
Cat-in-a-Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonclip View Post
This is a good habit to get into even with DA revolvers that have a single action capability.
agreed. in a self-defense situation, double action is the only way to go, imo.

movie zombie

Gun Control:
Old 09-25-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Womens hand strength is roughly generally 1/2 that of a man I have heard.

Any of you have trouble pulling back the slide on a semi auto to chamber or eject a round? Some guns like the .40S&W versions of the CZ75 have little to grip on to due to slide riding inside the rails on this design and heavy recoil spring.
Moonclip, I was frustrated by my lack of hand strength, so I worked, over several years, to improve it. I did occasional manual labor, used lots of power tools, squeezed those finger-exercise things, etc. Now my girl-hands have a crushing grip (I sometimes unintentionally bruise people when I grab them in self-defense class...). With some effort, women can develop tremendous hand strength!

I also have a CZ SP-01 in 9mm that had a really tough pullback on the slide due to its heavy recoil spring. Using the "slingshot" (overhand) method let me rack the thing, and eventually the spring broke in, anyhow.

Favorites:
  • The aforementioned CZ SP-01 in 9mm. Never had a more accurate handgun.
  • Colt Python .357 mag. The SA trigger pull is precisely like that proverbial glass rod breaking.
  • Sig P6 in 9mm. Tremendously accurate, lots of character, and just plain fun. The heavy DA trigger pull is a pain, but I have a lighter spring coming.
Old 09-25-2008, 5:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySmith View Post
1. S&W 686 .357 magum. This is my tried and true favorite, and mine has been my sidekick for long time.
2. Colt Gov't 1911 .45. I love the way it looks, feels and shoots.
3. S&W 500. My newest handgun and a whole lot of fun!

This was tough because I haven't yet run across a caliber nor bought a gun I didn't like.
Wow, even many men I know are not able to handle a .500! The 1911 is actually a pretty good choice for many women that is often overlooked.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member

I'm a new handgun enthusiast. So can only say my favorites so far are these two:

(1) Buck Mark .22
(2) S&W 1911 .45

Just picked up a S&W .38 revolver and dang! does that thing hurt my hand. I shoot southpaw and shot it for the first time today. After about 15 rounds I had to switch to my right hand. I guess I need to build up my left arm.
Old 09-26-2008, 8:12 AM
Cat-in-a-Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by masameet View Post
Just picked up a S&W .38 revolver and dang! does that thing hurt my hand. I shoot southpaw and shot it for the first time today. After about 15 rounds I had to switch to my right hand. I guess I need to build up my left arm.
which smith?

movie zombie

Gun Control:
Old 09-26-2008, 3:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
which smith?

movie zombie
I bet it is an airweight J frame version of some type if it hurts the hand. And/or it is being fired with some sort of rather hot ammo. A grip change may be beneficial. We need more info though 1st.
Old 09-26-2008, 6:36 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

that was my guess, too. my model j's are all stainless. when i fired a couple of different airweights, i almost didn't pick up another gun...........

if its a stainless model, a change of grips could do wonders.

movie zombie

Gun Control:
Old 09-26-2008, 6:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Mine would be

1. Glock 19
2. Kimber Custom II
Old 09-26-2008, 9:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I bet it is an airweight J frame version of some type if it hurts the hand. And/or it is being fired with some sort of rather hot ammo. A grip change may be beneficial. We need more info though 1st.
Quote:
that was my guess, too. my model j's are all stainless. when i fired a couple of different airweights, i almost didn't pick up another gun...........

if its a stainless model, a change of grips could do wonders.

You two are good!

So which grip do you suggest?

I think I want a fatter and longer grip. Wood would be nice too.

I got the wrong caliber ammo and the rangemaster was kind enough to swap me the right caliber (I'll probably exchange $$ to get my wrong ammo back). Shot 25 rounds using first the left hand, then the right, and then finally the left again. One round did not fire and I forgot to check to see if it bore any strike mark when I dumped out the empty cartridges. The .38 rounds are LRN. Someone later said LRN ammo tends to leave lead residue that can damage the revolver. I checked my revolver but cannot distinguish the gunpowder residue from any lead bits. Didn't see any unusual scoring or whatnot.

Don't have any problem swapping back and forth between my Buck Mark, the revolver, and my 1911.
Old 09-27-2008, 4:45 PM
Veteran Member

Leading will not damage the barrel, just can take more effort and a good bore brush and solvent to remove normal lead residue. This ammo is not hot. What exact model number of S&W is it?

A rubber grip may be better such as Pachmayr, they tend to soak up recoil a bit better.
Old 09-27-2008, 6:10 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

without knowing WHICH smith you have, i can't make any recommendations. also barrel length, please.

movie zombie

Gun Control:
Old 09-28-2008, 12:41 AM
Veteran Member

It's a 642-1. Barrel = 1 inch.

Yup, it's hurts all right.
Old 09-28-2008, 7:39 AM
Cat-in-a-Box

ouch!!!!!! and ouch again!!!!

not sure with such a short snubbie what you're going to do about the ouch factor. pachmayr makes a rubber grip called a decelerator but you've already got a rubber grip on that thing. but i'd give this a try:

http://www.pachmayr.com/pachmayr/rev...m#Decelerator®

i'd definitely stay away from wood.

may i ask why this model?

movie zombie

Gun Control:
Old 09-29-2008, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member

It fits.
Old 09-29-2008, 1:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masameet View Post
It's a 642-1. Barrel = 1 inch.

Yup, it's hurts all right.
It's actually a 1 7/8" or 2"barrelbut close enough. Invest in some rubber grips as noted. Also do not fire ammo marked as +P in such a light gun if the recoil is a problem.
Old 09-29-2008, 7:19 AM
Cat-in-a-Box

saving the plus ammo for actual self-defense carry is a good idea. practice with as light a load as possible. i'm going to bet that it will have quite a kick to it though; however, you might feel a slight improvement with the other grip as well.

movie zombie

Gun Control:
Old 11-07-2008, 6:59 AM
C3 Leader

Wink The 1911, Of Course

When I first learned to shoot offhand for competitions, the 1911 was the best fit. The reloads were between 4.2 and 4.5 grains of Bullseye and made it easy enough to control for a 2-inch group at 50 yards during the slow fire phase.

My husband has a Springfield, which I borrow, but I had a few Colt Series 70 1911 models, including Chow and Nygord .45s. Also had a Gold Cup.

More importantly, I was told over 20 years ago by a man that women could never shoot a CF pistol let alone a .45. Well, it just made me go out and practice, didn't it?
Old 11-09-2008, 4:11 AM
Veteran Member

A Chow 1911, interesting, you need a Swenson one too! A woman can't shoot a 1911 .45acp? Thats news to me...

IIRC other women here, some quite small, own and operate them as well.
.45acp .45LC 6.5Carcano 7.7Japanese 7.62x54r 6.5Swede,6.5x54r
.30-40Krag 7.5French 8x57Mauser .223Rem 7.62x39 .410bore .30-30
20ga 12ga .303British 8x56r 7.5x55Swiss .30-06...
Old 11-26-2008, 1:41 PM
Vendor/Retailer

XD40 for me.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyrlp10 View Post
When I first learned to shoot offhand for competitions, the 1911 was the best fit. The reloads were between 4.2 and 4.5 grains of Bullseye and made it easy enough to control for a 2-inch group at 50 yards during the slow fire phase.

My husband has a Springfield, which I borrow, but I had a few Colt Series 70 1911 models, including Chow and Nygord .45s. Also had a Gold Cup.

More importantly, I was told over 20 years ago by a man that women could never shoot a CF pistol let alone a .45. Well, it just made me go out and practice, didn't it?
Yikes! Ok... I'm putting my toys up and going home.
That's great shooting. Congrats.
Old 01-24-2009, 9:55 AM

PPK Walther/S 9mm because it just feels right: not too heavy, nor too light, too short, too hard to reload, cock, squeeze, nor too much kickback. I tried everything else that "felt" like it might be "my" gun at shows, then fired on a range, but this one just qualified. It fits my hand and purse.

I really like the N. American Arms Mini-Revolver .22 mag, because of it's ease to conceal, it uses .22 L.R., .22 SH, but it's fumbly and hard to aim, cock, fire with accuracy etc. but as an equalizer in worst case scenario it's cool.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:02 AM

My wife loves her Ruger SP-101 .357 with the short barrel.

Reasons:
It fits great
It's SA/DA
It is a revolver, and won't jam, etc.
She can shoot .38s through it (cheaper and easier for practice)
It has a Crimson Trace available for it
It's not very big
Old 02-03-2009, 10:46 PM

While I don't have my own handgun (finances...), I used to frequent Reed's range back when they had their ladies shoot for free nights. (Well, I had to buy the ammo...)

My favorite was their Ruger GP-100. It was, as I recall, a stainless 6". I would put in 5 rounds of .38 Special and one round of .357 Magnum, give the cylinder a spin, and close it (in that order). I never knew when the .357 was next, and learned to fire the mags without flinching.

My next favorite was a 1911 in .45 ACP. Not sure which it was.

I tried various Glocks, which I didn't care for. For some reason, my grip would put some pressure on the magazine, and I'd frequently get a misfeed.

One of these days, I'm going to get to shoot the Beretta 92... it always seems to be rented out when I'm there.

If I had the cash to plunk down on a handgun, the GP-100 is at the top of the list.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:03 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

thanks for reminding me about Reed's! i need to call and see what they do have to rent as i'm getting serious about a semi-auto pistol. and i hope that one day soon you can get that Ruger, MsJamie!

movie zombie

Gun Control:
Old 02-04-2009, 1:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Take a friend or take a gun with you.

One time about two years ago they told me I couldn't rent because I was alone and didn't have a gun. I didn't have a gun with me because I intended to rent.

It could have been that they didn't like the way I looked but I don't look that bad.

Any way it pissed me off, I wanted to spend my money at Reed's and I was turned away.
Old 02-04-2009, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJamie View Post
While I don't have my own handgun (finances...), I used to frequent Reed's range back when they had their ladies shoot for free nights. (Well, I had to buy the ammo...)

My favorite was their Ruger GP-100. It was, as I recall, a stainless 6". I would put in 5 rounds of .38 Special and one round of .357 Magnum, give the cylinder a spin, and close it (in that order). I never knew when the .357 was next, and learned to fire the mags without flinching.

I tried various Glocks, which I didn't care for. For some reason, my grip would put some pressure on the magazine, and I'd frequently get a misfeed.

One of these days, I'm going to get to shoot the Beretta 92... it always seems to be rented out when I'm there.

If I had the cash to plunk down on a handgun, the GP-100 is at the top of the list.
I got a GP 100, love it! (Well after I got an action job, that is!) Good choice!

And that's a great suggestion to resist flinching, I'm going to have to try that, thanks!
Old 02-04-2009, 7:21 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

thanks for the tip, Wash!

mz

Gun Control:
Old 02-10-2009, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJamie View Post

Hi MsJamie,
You have some good choices there.
I don't own any glocks either.
But I do own a 1911a1 by Rock Island Armory,
a Beretta 92FS and a GP100 6" Blue Finish.

Here are a few pictures of my mentioned pistols.
586L-Frame

DLC’s RIA 1911 Tactical in orig case with two add’l mags- Left side view.
[IMG][/IMG]

DLC’s Beretta 92FS.
[IMG][/IMG]

DLC’s Ruger GP100 6 inch .357 mag - Blue Finish.
[IMG][/IMG]

x