Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-21-2008, 7:42 AM
sierradump sierradump is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 78
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default Difference between .223 and .556? Shoot .223 out a .556?

I just got my OLL and am sourcing parts kits now - but I see some stamped .223 and others .556. I think from my research before ordering the lowers that I want to find .556 stamped uppers and that it is OKAY to shoot .223 out of a .556 barrel? Is this correct??????

Please let me know the ins/outs as I don't want to have a cartridge explode in my face

Last edited by sierradump; 09-21-2008 at 7:46 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-21-2008, 7:56 AM
buffybuster's Avatar
buffybuster buffybuster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ventura County
Posts: 2,382
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Get a 5.56 spec chamber. You can shoot 5.56x45 and .223Rem ammunition. Shooting 5.56x45 spec ammo in a .223Rem spec chamber could lead to higher than spec chamber pressures due to the differences in datum line and chamber throat. The downside of shooting .223Rem in a 5.56 chamber is the headspace may be on the large end of the spectrum and the longer throat will have an impact on the accuracy.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-21-2008, 7:58 AM
mattmcg's Avatar
mattmcg mattmcg is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Norcal
Posts: 1,152
iTrader: 64 / 100%
Default

What is the Difference Between .223 and 5.56 Rifle Cartridges and Chamberings?
__________________
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1755
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-21-2008, 8:49 AM
nobs11 nobs11 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,394
iTrader: 21 / 100%
Default

Search for Wylde chamber as well.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-21-2008, 8:53 PM
prob prob is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,063
iTrader: 53 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
This is the first time this question has EVER been asked. The search function will not help you. Google will not help you. This is a revolutionary question. I will do some research and get back to you.
What's the point of a post like this? It's just the type of attitude that drives people away from the shooting sports. You should be ashamed of yourself.

It takes just as much effort to write a snotty sarcastic response as it does to point someone in the right direction. Why not take the high road and offer a helping hand?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-21-2008, 9:15 PM
jandmtv's Avatar
jandmtv jandmtv is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NORTH HOLLYWOOD, CA
Posts: 3,450
iTrader: 53 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prob View Post
What's the point of a post like this? It's just the type of attitude that drives people away from the shooting sports. You should be ashamed of yourself.

It takes just as much effort to write a snotty sarcastic response as it does to point someone in the right direction. Why not take the high road and offer a helping hand?
The point is, that very question as been answered about 8 billion times, and if the OP had taken the liberty to use the search function (which was placed there for a good reason) then we would not have to see the same question being asked over and over.
__________________
"Pink rifle disease... SPREAD IT!"



"The only thing we learn from history, I am afraid, is that we do not learn from history."

'Ron Paul'
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-21-2008, 9:17 PM
NiteQwill's Avatar
NiteQwill NiteQwill is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Exiting the plane @ 13k feet
Posts: 6,360
iTrader: 70 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prob View Post
What's the point of a post like this? It's just the type of attitude that drives people away from the shooting sports. You should be ashamed of yourself.

It takes just as much effort to write a snotty sarcastic response as it does to point someone in the right direction. Why not take the high road and offer a helping hand?
Because it's the internet. All for one, and one for none.
__________________

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-21-2008, 9:20 PM
Fantasma's Avatar
Fantasma Fantasma is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: High Desert
Posts: 3,113
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
This is the first time this question has EVER been asked. The search function will not help you. Google will not help you. This is a revolutionary question. I will do some research and get back to you.
You could not have said it better, i was thinking to add something like this....lol


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-21-2008, 9:21 PM
X-NewYawker's Avatar
X-NewYawker X-NewYawker is offline
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hollywood
Posts: 5,995
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Since I have been chastised more than once for this, I will add; I assume NEW people are coming to the site all the time. I like to see the NEW responses some of them have to the same old questions. It is hubris to assume that the search will yield the most current facts in all cases.

Except in this case, where the 223/5.56 thing has been beat to death.

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-21-2008, 9:54 PM
prob prob is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,063
iTrader: 53 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandmtv View Post
The point is, that very question as been answered about 8 billion times, and if the OP had taken the liberty to use the search function (which was placed there for a good reason) then we would not have to see the same question being asked over and over.
Eight billion times or not, it still doesn't give anyone the right to be rude to another person. If, after you've read a similar question for the eight billionth time, and you don't want to take the time to answer in a civil manner, just move on. No need for the stinging sarcasm. Maybe the OP was just excited about his purchase and figured he'd be among some kindred spirits who would be more than happy to help. Some were. Others prefer to drive "newbies" away because, after all, they were never new to something themselves.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-21-2008, 10:10 PM
NiteQwill's Avatar
NiteQwill NiteQwill is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Exiting the plane @ 13k feet
Posts: 6,360
iTrader: 70 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prob View Post
Eight billion times or not, it still doesn't give anyone the right to be rude to another person. If, after you've read a similar question for the eight billionth time, and you don't want to take the time to answer in a civil manner, just move on. No need for the stinging sarcasm. Maybe the OP was just excited about his purchase and figured he'd be among some kindred spirits who would be more than happy to help. Some were. Others prefer to drive "newbies" away because, after all, they were never new to something themselves.
It's kinda funny. There should be some study done on this paranormal event. Regardless of any public internet forum you visit, it seems "use the search button" has to be regarded as the most frequent reply, ever. I swear.
__________________

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-21-2008, 10:10 PM
jandmtv's Avatar
jandmtv jandmtv is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NORTH HOLLYWOOD, CA
Posts: 3,450
iTrader: 53 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prob View Post
Eight billion times or not, it still doesn't give anyone the right to be rude to another person. If, after you've read a similar question for the eight billionth time, and you don't want to take the time to answer in a civil manner, just move on. No need for the stinging sarcasm. Maybe the OP was just excited about his purchase and figured he'd be among some kindred spirits who would be more than happy to help. Some were. Others prefer to drive "newbies" away because, after all, they were never new to something themselves.
Aww, Im sorry ohsmily's post hurt your feelings, would you like a cookie?
__________________
"Pink rifle disease... SPREAD IT!"



"The only thing we learn from history, I am afraid, is that we do not learn from history."

'Ron Paul'
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-21-2008, 10:14 PM
jandmtv's Avatar
jandmtv jandmtv is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NORTH HOLLYWOOD, CA
Posts: 3,450
iTrader: 53 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteQwill View Post
It's kinda funny. There should be some study done on this paranormal event. Regardless of any public internet forum you visit, it seems "use the search button" has to be regarded as the most frequent reply, ever. I swear.
Thats because the search button was put there for a reason, and most people are just to lazy to use it, all they want is a quick answer.
__________________
"Pink rifle disease... SPREAD IT!"



"The only thing we learn from history, I am afraid, is that we do not learn from history."

'Ron Paul'
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Fantasma's Avatar
Fantasma Fantasma is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: High Desert
Posts: 3,113
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandmtv View Post
Aww, Im sorry ohsmily's post hurt your feelings, would you like a cookie?
Leave the Emotional guy alone, Leave Him Alone.....

I agree though, the search function is there for a reason after you have searched and searched and you cannot find the answer you are looking for then you can ask a question. Being a Noobie is not an excuse. Noobie or not Use the search button, being new has nothing to do with it....
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Juicymeat Juicymeat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: La Jolla/Hacienda Heights
Posts: 421
iTrader: 31 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandmtv View Post
Thats because the search button was put there for a reason, and most people are just to lazy to use it, all they want is a quick answer.

Searching often leads to the faster answer. I'm in favor of giving the answer, and THEN reminding the person the usefulness of the search function.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-21-2008, 10:33 PM
dominic's Avatar
dominic dominic is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Imperial Valley
Posts: 3,045
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Whats a .556? An elephant gun maybe? I want one.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-21-2008, 11:35 PM
prob prob is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,063
iTrader: 53 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandmtv View Post
Aww, Im sorry ohsmily's post hurt your feelings, would you like a cookie?
In you're childish quest to somehow vilify me, you apparently didn't read my post. I in no way indicated that my feelings were hurt and was, in fact, only looking for civil discourse. You can type your silly little response and add your goofy emoticon, but the bottom line is that one of us holds the high moral ground and it isn't you.

It has been my experience that internet forums have always been a place for the young and insecure to spill their bile and apparently some of those who post on Calguns are no different. What a shame.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-21-2008, 11:41 PM
aplinker's Avatar
aplinker aplinker is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: West LA
Posts: 16,828
iTrader: 92 / 100%
Default

95% of questions are actually answered by this thread if people actually bothered to glance through it.

I don't mind people asking questions, but it gets a little tiresome when people would rather other people spend 10 minutes to save them 30 seconds, but I guess that's just the way it is...
__________________

Google Map of OLL Dealers

List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-21-2008, 11:41 PM
prob prob is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,063
iTrader: 53 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasma View Post
Leave the Emotional guy alone, Leave Him Alone.....

I agree though, the search function is there for a reason after you have searched and searched and you cannot find the answer you are looking for then you can ask a question. Being a Noobie is not an excuse. Noobie or not Use the search button, being new has nothing to do with it....
Here we go. Now the mob mentality sets in. Nice. My response to you is the same as my response to the other fellow.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-21-2008, 11:46 PM
mchector mchector is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 187
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

less qq more pew pew
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-22-2008, 12:00 AM
dominic's Avatar
dominic dominic is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Imperial Valley
Posts: 3,045
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchector View Post
less qq more pew pew
pew pew? does something smell bad to you?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-22-2008, 10:01 AM
sierradump sierradump is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 78
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandmtv View Post
Thats because the search button was put there for a reason, and most people are just to lazy to use it, all they want is a quick answer.
Sorry to get everyones panties in a bunch with my question! I did in fact use the search function... No doubt that is the fastest way to get an answer - not posting my own thread as speculated above... I've been lurking here for MONTHS researching my builds and only recently asked this question to make sure I understood what I had read...

No offense taken to any of the sarcastic comments - I am an internet junkie and expected so much from a few people! I did in fact find out what it was I was interested in and very much appreciate the advice in concurring with what it was I originally asked...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-22-2008, 12:04 PM
cmaynes's Avatar
cmaynes cmaynes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 812
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-NewYawker View Post
Since I have been chastised more than once for this, I will add; I assume NEW people are coming to the site all the time. I like to see the NEW responses some of them have to the same old questions. It is hubris to assume that the search will yield the most current facts in all cases.

Except in this case, where the 223/5.56 thing has been beat to death.

perhaps a sticky might be useful?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-22-2008, 12:24 PM
X-NewYawker's Avatar
X-NewYawker X-NewYawker is offline
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hollywood
Posts: 5,995
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Yeah -- a stiockie at the top of the forum list like "Questions? Start here..."
also -- many websites "search" is an open window field to type into -- you have to look for it here, click to get to that point, and on a small computer screen maybe new visitors won't see it as well.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-22-2008, 1:43 PM
marxdspot's Avatar
marxdspot marxdspot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,423
iTrader: 100 / 100%
Default

GTK
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-08-2010, 5:24 AM
gschoelles's Avatar
gschoelles gschoelles is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Riverside County, CA
Posts: 676
iTrader: 12 / 93%
Default

This was an excellent article
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-08-2010, 10:01 AM
818gtiguy's Avatar
818gtiguy 818gtiguy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern Kalifornistan(L.A. area)
Posts: 1,480
iTrader: 195 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschoelles View Post
This was an excellent article
Wow.......This thread is over TWO years old and you had to bump it just to say that?!?!?!?

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:44 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.