Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2016, 8:10 PM

Default Is it legal to build and not register a semi-automatic pistol from a 80%

Is it legal to build and not register a semi-automatic pistol from a 80%
that will only be used by the person compleating the firearm?

Seems like a simple question but I have yet to get an answer that is just hearsay.

I feel that at this point in time 'most' people should own something that fires a 9mm round and or a 5.56 NATO. I would like to build both before August and would prefer to NOT be put in jail on my way to the range for having a tail light out and a search...

Thanks for advice and or links to info that isn't hearsay
Old 07-14-2016, 8:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisdesigns View Post
Is it legal to build and not register a semi-automatic pistol from a 80%
that will only be used by the person compleating the firearm?

Seems like a simple question but I have yet to get an answer that is just hearsay.

I feel that at this point in time 'most' people should own something that fires a 9mm round and or a 5.56 NATO. I would like to build both before August and would prefer to NOT be put in jail on my way to the range for having a tail light out and a search...

Thanks for advice and or links to info that isn't hearsay
Please see below for my identical response to your posting of nearly the same question in another thread.

For now, there is no requirement to register a personally built firearm that is kept for your own use. Please follow AB 857. If that bill makes it into law, in its current form, then you will be required to register.

For all practical purposes it is illegal for you to personally manufacture a semi-auto handgun in California. Please see Penal Code section 32000 for the prohibition.

It is technically possible for you to do so, but you would have to include a magazine disconnect, loaded chamber indicator, microstamping, and then submit your build to a DOJ testing lab. That's gonna be cost prohibitive. California makes no exception to the "Safe Handgun" law for personal builders.

It is possible to "get around" the requirements of the "Safe Handgun" law by building a dimensionally compliant, single-shot, pistol that is break-top or bolt action in design. Please see Penal Code section 32100(b) for the details.

Many folks will suggest that you can manufacture a single-shot pistol as above, and then later convert it to semi-auto. You're on shaky legal ground doing that. I am not aware of any prosecutions of folks having done that, however there is a Fourth Circuit decision that, if applied to California's statute would hold the practice to be illegal.