Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 09-18-2008, 8:13 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default This brother might need our help

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=11&t=323773

Anyone in the bay area have some extra time to talk with him?

HMM-161 Westpac 1994
Old 09-18-2008, 8:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Just replied -
Old 09-19-2008, 4:32 PM
Banned

As time goes by, this new generation of veterans will start to have problems. PTSD is something that effects people in different ways. The VA has started to do some support group stuff, but the vast majority of vets (like me) don't feel comfortable in that setting.

Most of us just need to know that it is not abnormal to feel the way we do. We just need to talk with someone who feels the same way and can understand. My wife does contract work for the National Guard assisting military families. Although she and others try to understand vets, it's like she told me..."I could never really explain what it's like to give birth to you and you could never explain what it's like to be in combat to me."

There are many things about my time in the service that I will never forget, both good and bad. There are people out there who care, and will take the time to help a brother out. Don't hesitate to ask.
Old 09-19-2008, 5:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Z50 View Post
As time goes by, this new generation of veterans will start to have problems. PTSD is something that effects people in different ways. The VA has started to do some support group stuff, but the vast majority of vets (like me) don't feel comfortable in that setting.

Most of us just need to know that it is not abnormal to feel the way we do. We just need to talk with someone who feels the same way and can understand. My wife does contract work for the National Guard assisting military families. Although she and others try to understand vets, it's like she told me..."I could never really explain what it's like to give birth to you and you could never explain what it's like to be in combat to me."

There are many things about my time in the service that I will never forget, both good and bad. There are people out there who care, and will take the time to help a brother out. Don't hesitate to ask.
amen... i know that i had a totally different mindset when i was over there and it was/is kind of hard to change once i redeployed stateside. i mean who looks at a fellow blown up soldier and just says, "eh, part of the job"... some may call that "cold blooded" etc. etc. but it helped me stay sane and allowed me to cope with the crap i saw over there. i only lost it once out there when my best bud got tagged in the neck during an ambush... but soon afterwards as i was cleaning his blood out of the HMMWV i was joking with his TC saying "why couldn't he have bled when he jumped out of the HMMWV".
it's crazy out there and everyone deals with it differently.
Old 09-19-2008, 7:10 PM

Default Vets Centers

The state of California runs what they call Vets Centers.
This is not the VA. They work with the VA, even have VA doctors & nurses for clinic work. They work for the state and they are on YOUR side.
I go there once a week for group. Have been for four years. My group counselor is a Marine Vietnam Vet.
We have WWII, Korean, Vietnam, & Irag vets in group counseling. My wife goes twice a month, for a womens group, for Vets wives.
They've helped me with my VA claims, filled 'em out & filed them for me. This has been a life & relationship saving organization.

Bruce