Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > Santa Margarita Gun Club
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Santa Margarita Gun Club Competitive Shooting Sports for Active and Retired Military, civilians and juniors

Old 09-15-2008, 5:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Match Results for past few months

I've been trying to contact Matt via email but I'm not sure if my email is getting spam blocked on his end or what.

Anyway, I haven't received any of the match results since March. Starting with the Regional back in April, I haven't received any of the match results for the matches I participated in. I'm positive that I shot in at least three (3) XTC matches: the Regional in April, and monthly XTC in July and August.

I *did* get NRA points for the July and August matches in the mail, though.

Just no emails with the match results.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 09-15-2008, 7:13 PM

I sent Matt an email regarding your issue...let me know if you need any more help.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Worst case I talk to him about it in person this Saturday at the 3x600.

My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 09-16-2008, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
Worst case I talk to him about it in person this Saturday at the 3x600.
Jon,

I have a PDF of the results for August. Don't have the ones for July or April. I'll try to e-mail them to you - - too big of a file to attach here.

Paratus et Vigilans

Prepared and On Guard
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take from you all you have." - Gerald R. Ford
Old 09-16-2008, 3:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I *did* get NRA points for the July and August matches in the mail, though.
I don't know that I have ever shot an NRA sanctioned match where I got points.
Do I just give them my NRA member number when I sign up, or is there something that I need to do ahead of time to be able to accumulate points?

I'll be shooting F T/R saturday.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 09-16-2008, 4:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
I don't know that I have ever shot an NRA sanctioned match where I got points.
Do I just give them my NRA member number when I sign up, or is there something that I need to do ahead of time to be able to accumulate points?

I'll be shooting F T/R saturday.
Just write down your NRA number on your entry form. Whoever is in charge of the scores (i.e. statistics officer) will submit those scores to the NRA (assuming the match is approved or registered with the NRA) and those go on your NRA record for classification purposes.

As far as issuing awards (i.e. NRA points), I'm not entirely sure what the allocation is, but points are usually issued to the overall match winner (person with the highest score). Depending on the number of shooters in each classification and category, points can be issued to the highest performers in each classification (high master, master, expert, sharpshooter, marksman) for each category (Service Rifle, Match Rifle, F-Class).

NRA points aren't anything special. You basically can use those as 'money' towards the NRA on a 1 point per $1 ratio for stuff like NRA store items (I believe), NRA membership dues, and for entry in NRA approved/registered matches.

Funny thing is I've never shot in an official NRA mid-range (or long-range) tournament, so I'm actually unclassified (no classification) for Saturday's 3x600. In determining awards for a tournament/match, unclassified shooters are supposed to be grouped in with the other master classified shooters.

Last edited by ocabj; 09-16-2008 at 4:04 PM..
Old 09-16-2008, 4:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Just write down your NRA number on your entry form. Whoever is in charge of the scores (i.e. statistics officer) will submit those scores to the NRA (assuming the match is approved or registered with the NRA) and those go on your NRA record for classification purposes.

As far as issuing awards (i.e. NRA points), I'm not entirely sure what the allocation is, but points are usually issued to the overall match winner (person with the highest score). Depending on the number of shooters in each classification and category, points can be issued to the highest performers in each classification (high master, master, expert, sharpshooter, marksman) for each category (Service Rifle, Match Rifle, F-Class).
I just want to get classified so I can have a card...

Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Old 09-16-2008, 4:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I just want to get classified so I can have a card...
Cool. You get a classification after 120 rounds are fired for record.

Old 09-16-2008, 8:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Cool. You get a classification after 120 rounds are fired for record.
And this weekend is 60 rounds for record at Pendelton?

Old 09-16-2008, 9:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Correct, but if you fire the team match, that's an extra 20 rounds that goes towards your individual record. Which would be 80 rounds for record.

I want to shoot the 1000 yard matches at the 29 Palms NRA Regional so I can get classified in NRA Long Range. I'd like to get High Master in High Power (XTC), Mid-range prone, and Long-Range prone using the Service Rifle (AR). Lofty goal, but something I'd like to 'shoot' for (pun intended).

Old 09-16-2008, 9:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I want to shoot the 1000 yard matches at the 29 Palms NRA Regional so I can get classified in NRA Long Range. I'd like to get High Master in High Power (XTC), Mid-range prone, and Long-Range prone using the Service Rifle (AR).
Once you get classified at a certain level, how do you move up?
Say I only classify out at Sharpshooter by the time I turn in 120 rounds.
But the next few matches rank me more like an expert.
Do they continually look at the last few match results and re-classify you?

Old 09-16-2008, 9:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Once you get classified at a certain level, how do you move up?
Say I only classify out at Sharpshooter by the time I turn in 120 rounds.
But the next few matches rank me more like an expert.
Do they continually look at the last few match results and re-classify you?
Ah, good question.

Once you fire 120 rounds for record in NRA matches, you get an official classification. The NRA then looks to reclass you once you fire 240 rounds (for HP) or 120 rounds (for prone, midrange and long range).

So in the case of the midrange classification, once you fire enough matches to account for at least 120 rounds, they'll issue your classification card with an 'effective date'. Let's hypothetically say you are classified as a sharpshooter.

Let's then say you fire 2 more 3x600s (which equals 120 rounds), and call those matches A and B, after that classification effective date. The NRA calculates your average from A and B because those two matches combined for 120 rounds which took place after your current classification's effective date. If the average is higher than your current class, you move up. If it's lower, you don't move down unless you write the NRA to get classified down (and after you fire a certain number of rounds).

Let's assume your average from A and B is still within the range for sharpshooter. Then you fire another 3x600 called match C. The NRA will then take the average from your previous 120 rounds, which are matches B and C, and calculate that to see if you have earned a reclass. As you continued shooting in more matches, the NRA continues recalculating your previous 120 rounds to see if you earned reclass upwards. If you do, then they issue you a new classification card with a new effective date, and the reclass procedure begins anew.

Note that the NRA will average the entire match totals from your previous matches for the reclass, even if it exceeds 120 rounds.

For example, let's say you fired in two (2) 300/500/600 midrange prone matches and one (1) 3x600 after your current classification card's effective date. 3/5/6 midrange matches are only 45 rounds each (15 on each yard line). This means you fired 45+45+60 (150 rounds total) in your previous three matches. While you only need 120 rounds for a reclass, you needed 3 matches to achieve that minimum 120 rounds. This is not a big deal, but it's just an interesting piece of information to note.

I've heard stories of people who shoot above their class, but then tank their next match so they don't get reclassed upwards. That way, they stay in the lower classification to earn awards. I've heard this not only in High Power, but also in the various action pistol type organizations. I'm not a fan of sandbagging.

Last edited by ocabj; 09-16-2008 at 9:52 PM..
Old 09-16-2008, 9:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I've heard stories of people who shoot above their class, but then tank there next match so they don't get reclassed upwards. That way, they stay in the lower classification to earn awards. I've heard this not only in High Power, but also in the various action pistol type organizations. I'm not a fan of sandbagging.
It happens everywhere, especially where there are guns to be won off the prize table.

Old 09-16-2008, 9:54 PM

Quote:

NRA points aren't anything special. You basically can use those as 'money' towards the NRA on a 1 point per $1 ratio for stuff like NRA store items (I believe), NRA membership dues, and for entry in NRA approved/registered matches.
Not many people know it, but Creedmoor Sports takes NRA points just like cash. Someone told me a few months ago at a match and I honestly thought they were joking, but I used them at the store a few weeks ago. Creedmoor has a lot better stuff than the NRA store
Old 09-16-2008, 9:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ness395 View Post
Not many people know it, but Creedmoor Sports takes NRA points just like cash. Someone told me a few months ago at a match and I honestly thought they were joking, but I used them at the store a few weeks ago. Creedmoor has a lot better stuff than the NRA store
That's pretty cool. I didn't know that.

I just use my NRA points for match entry fees. Either way, match fees or product/equipment, it's all stuff I have to pay towards.

Old 10-21-2008, 8:06 PM

If anyone has a results bulletin from the club championship 3x600 in September, I'd sure appreciate a copy. Please email it to me at german.a.salazar AT gmail.com or send me a note if you need my postal address.
thanks!
German
Old 10-21-2008, 9:35 PM
Calguns Addict

G,

Check your gmail.