Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:46 PM

Sheppard AFB, Wichita Falls, Texas
"The warrior doesn't switch that off. He tones it down based on the threat, but he's still alert and prepared. He constantly thinks and evaluates what he is doing so he can outsmart the opposition all the time - Matt Larsen"

Transporting weapons in CA: http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...p/Transporting
CA Knife Laws: http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/knifelaw.html
Old 05-27-2009, 10:47 PM

There was a base within walking distance of Checkpoint Charlie circa 1978-81. I was there with my scout troop doing a tour of Berlin Wall and the surrounding countryside. We ate in the same mess as the rest of the enlisted guys. Chow line was almost cook to order.

Damn.... now I'm hungry.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:17 AM

That's easy...The Jewel of the East on Command Fleet Activities Yokosuka, Japan.

When I was stationed on CFAY, the mess hall earned several awards. I was recently back in Yokosuka and found that they had continued that trend.

Coffee, not standard military / institutional coffee, all jusices are fresh, milk is fresh, food is great (for military mess halls), fruits are fresh and the people are just great! I cannot say enough about the place.

http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?s...&article=35601

SGT Crawford
USAR

Formerly
STG2 (SW) Crawford
USN / USNR
Old 06-11-2009, 11:26 PM

Camp Fuji, Marine Corps Base. The mess hall is run by Marines, as always, but they have some Japanies assistants and they make some killer bamboo soup.

I hated that base...there were only two WMs in the entire base...luckly we had good food to keep the morale.
Old 06-29-2009, 4:31 PM
Veteran Member

ft mead.. has this big building.... uhhh.. yea the big one... best freeken onion rings in the world...
Old 07-05-2009, 12:34 AM

Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar, Air Force has the best chow halls...I didnt even have to pick up after myself.

Second to that would be the Coastie chow hall near the NSA in New Orleans.
Old 07-05-2009, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letaz77 View Post
Camp Fuji, Marine Corps Base. The mess hall is run by Marines, as always, but they have some Japanies assistants and they make some killer bamboo soup.

I hated that base...there were only two WMs in the entire base...luckly we had good food to keep the morale.
Been there...done that. Base was a rat hole and when I was there...NO WMs. Best chow I was ever served in 5 1/2 years service was aboard ship. Man, Navy chow ROCKS. No wonder that are all fat and unsat. JK/JK.

When I carry a gun, I donít do so because I am looking for a fight, but because Iím looking to be left alone...Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret)
Old 07-05-2009, 1:48 AM
Veteran Member

Luke AFB Arizona. Great food all day and night.
Old 07-05-2009, 9:51 AM

Palgong San, ROK, 1983-84. I was one of only 40 GIs there. Steak and lobster among the specialities. I got to eat with the CMSAF Sam Parrish when he visited to evaluate the chow, facilities, and morale.
Old 07-06-2009, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stphnman20 View Post
Warriors Breakfast right after the Crucible! Oh man that was some good ish!
I ate like 3 full trays of food after the crucible and then puked the rest of the day.

Besides that the chow at Al Taqaduum Airbase was always heavenly after sleeping in the dirt and patrolling for 2 week stints. I'd always get 2 fried eggs, bacon, hotwings and potato wedges when we came back. Then I'd get a fat milkshake for dessert. I'd sleep like a baby after that too.
Old 07-06-2009, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stphnman20 View Post
Warriors Breakfast right after the Crucible! Oh man that was some good ish!
LOL... yeah that was a Hell of a CHOW! but I would look forward to going to CAMP TQ near fallujah after or before any mission..... ahhh... the memories...
Old 07-06-2009, 6:53 AM

My favorite flight line geedunks were at Tinker AFB (TinkerBurgers) and NAS Cubi Point (CubiDogs).

Best food EVER was in the officer's mess on the Enterprise in the early 80s. The XO (president of the mess), required all the officers to forfeit all their meal pay (forget the name) to the mess, but the tech reps on board had to pay 3 or 4 times the equivalent of a LCDR's meal pay. The food was amazing.

Worst food ever was on the Kitty Hawk in the same time frame. The XO let the O's vote on how much of their pay they would give to the mess. BIG mistake! It averaged $60 / officer for the month......for 4 meals a day. I only ate to survive on that roach and rat infested bucket.
Note to politicians and anti-gun citizens: "I offered my life in service to my country to defend your right to speak your mind and live the way you want to live. I did not serve so you could act in a way to deny me the same opportunities."
Old 07-06-2009, 9:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Mare Island's chow hall in 1988 was pretty good and very consistent. Maybe that carried over from the sub base days. It's all closed down now.

Surprisingly, the dry side on San Diego's 32nd Street's base in 1983 was good.

For the USS Halsey CG-23 the chow was very decent for a ship chow while Gino was working the crew's mess. That all changed when he left.

The See bee base in Port Hueneme 1987 to 1990 always had a a rockin salad bar! The rest of the food was not good too. Even though I received allowance for staying off base and could choose just about anywhere I wanted to eat, I used to stop by that chow hall all the time as a preference. I think I will go and Yelp that place!

Last edited by Vectrexer; 07-06-2009 at 9:46 AM..
Old 07-21-2009, 2:12 PM

Al Taqqadum,Al Anbar,Iraq

Breakfast was great,and nothing like an ice cold soda after a long days work.
Old 07-21-2009, 5:15 PM

The MWTC (Mountain Warfare Training Center)

It was the best when there were still Marines cooking and serving, then they went to civilians, decent but no longer the best.
Old 07-21-2009, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUJO View Post

It was the best when there were still Marines cooking and serving, then they went to civilians, decent but no longer the best.
I had breakfast there Saturday. Pretty good.
Old 07-26-2009, 9:57 PM
Veteran Member

I would have to say the best chow hall I ever ate at was the chow hall in diego Garcia. I never had a better meal. the second would have to be al taqqadum. only time I ate there was when my unit was going home they had steak and lobster and I remember some air force guys complaining about having to eat "this crap" everyweek they were sick of it. and then it's a toss up between Bremertons chow hall and the coast guard chow hall in Yorktown.
Old 08-02-2009, 7:18 AM

Yuma Az and Korean Village in Iraq was the *****
Old 08-02-2009, 8:04 AM
Calguns Addict

ConUS Coronado (Surface Warfare Training Center) AmphibRecon has a helluva damn good chow hall.
OConUS Had to be FOB Q-West south of Mosul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier415 View Post
I am naked except for seatless white chaps, a boonie hat and a tactical vest playing HALO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
I don't like getting my butt kicked, but I would like to have it spanked by some big hairy guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
I wouldn't put "mounting a weasel" past too many people on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...
-Gene

Last edited by Stormfeather; 12-09-2011 at 2:31 PM..
Old 08-10-2009, 5:12 PM

The best would be Dover AFB.

Stopped there on the way back from Somolia (day and a half layover due to problems with our C5).

Great chow, nice quarters, and folks on the base treated us great.

Man Up, Show Up, or Shut the @#$! Up.

America's Largest Street Gang:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qEr_mZf06Y
Old 08-10-2009, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUJO View Post

For a Marine Corps chowhall it wasn't bad. The area itself was GREAT (clear sky, no smog, great outdoors enviornment).

Of course... it might have had something to do with us being so damn hungry all the time!

Man Up, Show Up, or Shut the @#$! Up.

America's Largest Street Gang:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qEr_mZf06Y
Old 08-12-2009, 12:32 PM

Sub Base Pearl Harbor's chow hall was the best! You could have a choice between Mahi Mahi and rice or sliders and fries! Waffles in the mornings, with fresh fruit! Everything was good!
Old 08-12-2009, 11:56 PM

any mess hall at Peterson AFB in Colorado Springs, CO - I was in the ARMY and about ever 3 months we would make trip an hour out of our way to go eat there. we always came back to Ft Carson over an hour late from lunch but never worried about the a** chewing we would get, the food was worth it. We also didn't need to clean up our dishes off the table, just leave 'em there. I was scared someone was playing a joke on me the first few times I did that.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:00 AM

USS Rhode Island while on a midshipman cruise, best chow hall food ever and we were underway
Old 10-28-2011, 4:16 PM

Camp Fallujah chow hall was nice...But I think the food was amazing because we lived off MRE's and tuna for months. No matter what, it sure beat Camp Horno chow 04-06' when the had 'special' people handling our food.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

www.cgsomoza.com
Old 10-28-2011, 4:36 PM
Calguns Addict

The chow hall at McClellan AFB in the early '70's. It was run by a master sergeant who took great pride in his facility and what he served. He named it "The Camellia Room", (he hand painted a nice metal sign and installed himself in front) and added a lot of touches that weren't present in most other USAF chow halls.

Biscuits made from scratch, linen tablecloths, and without a doubt the best meatloaf I have ever eaten, with perfect mashed taters and gravy.

The Camellia Room was the enlisted chow hall, but we had a ton of officers who ate there, preferring it to the officer's mess. The base commander, Col. Moneypenny, ate breakfast at the Camellia every morning.

I don't remember that master sgt.'s name, but he ran a fine joint. I never saw one better in my four years in the USAF.
Old 10-28-2011, 7:10 PM

COP Munoz, Paktika Afghanistan. 1 UGR for each breakfast and dinner to feed about 60 people, no lunch.
Old 10-28-2011, 7:47 PM

Default FE Warren AFB

FE Warren was pretty good...

2010-BowTech Destroyer 340 HardWoods HD
CarbonTech, G5, Octane, Ripcord and BuckNasty Strings...
Old 10-28-2011, 8:37 PM

DFAC 3, Al Asad.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:19 AM

FOB Marez was good for when Outback visited... Their servers were A+! If you got a steak after that you'd get sick afterwards! The magnum ice cream was REALLY good! The Chowhall got attacked 1 month after I left.
The best food I had was at Mc Chord AFB. Until they cut us off when some a-holes took too much food/drinks for later.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:48 AM
CGN Contributor

Stateside: NAB Bayside Galley. After the rennovation was finished the facility is top notch. Lots of fresh fruit and excellent breakfast b/c of the BUD/s kids.

Overseas: Camp Bastion Galley. Changed my opinion of British food (not really). Best part was when the Ghurkas took over and made lamb curry. That's until they started the "Only one main course, mate!" rule.
Old 10-29-2011, 4:22 AM

Hey, I've eaten at some of those places.

2007 the main DFAC in Alasad, that huge building. They had to order stir fry, it was off the chain, gave you the worst gas ever though. I was always A-driving in a humvee afterwords, my buddy said I couldnt eat it anymore...

The best chow hall in that area was by far in Quatar, (sp?) We got to go there on R&R, sooo delicious, you could roll in in pt gear too, no rifle, no nothing. Delicious.

Warriors breakfast was nuts too, I at the hell out of everything.

Any of the chowhalls on Pendleton were about average, nothing special, same as here on Okinawa.

On a side note, Oki's commisarys have some pretty nice sushi to go, almost as good as off base.
Old 10-29-2011, 5:43 AM

Coronado navy base in San Diego, those Squids deffinately knew how to feed a grunt!
and we got to watch those poor, miserable bastard seal candidates carry around their little bitty rubber boats all day! lmao
Old 10-29-2011, 5:47 AM
#blacklabsmatter
CGN Contributor

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotnMore View Post

Mine was during my mess tour, on the ship the Dixon
Patriot, you were stationed on Building 37? The nuclear sub tender?
LOL, I was stationed on one of those little white boats with the orange stripe that tied up on Ballast Point right next to the Dixon.

The best food during my time in the Coast Guard was at Air Station San Diego. I hated living among those uppity airedales, but they do feed them well.

Last edited by VictorFranko; 10-29-2011 at 5:49 AM..
Old 10-29-2011, 8:05 AM
Veteran Member

Default hum

My dad was on a sub so they had movie nights but I was too young to remember lol was in like 75. I was only a civvy stateside but the MWR facility in Pascagoula was kick butt. Followed closely behind was The Panama City Garrison When my Grandfather worked on a dredger on the canal. I got to go when I was a teen back when we still controlled it lol.

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 10-29-2011, 8:09 AM

I remember driving with some buddies all the way to March AFB from Camp Pendleton for chow back in the 90's. It was worth the drive for decent chow.

Best chow afloat was on USCGC Polar Star.

Hands down best chow ever was at the Embassy Annex DFAC, Baghdad when KBR ran it.
Old 10-30-2011, 7:24 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFranko View Post
Patriot, you were stationed on Building 37? The nuclear sub tender?
LOL, I was stationed on one of those little white boats with the orange stripe that tied up on Ballast Point right next to the Dixon.

The best food during my time in the Coast Guard was at Air Station San Diego. I hated living among those uppity airedales, but they do feed them well.
I was on the Tender Dixon. If you were there, remember the enlisted club? Cold beer and decent chow for lunch and the occasional lingerie show, which surprised me why they would have them, but the scenery was nice. Not sure how long that lasted, but they had them while I was stationed there.

I was down at the point last year, and it looked like it was all gone. Doesn't surprise me those tenders were on their last legs. It was a temporary duty station for those awaiting A schools, or leaving the service.
‎"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one, subject to particular exceptions."
--James Madison
'Letter to Edmund Pendleton', 1792
Old 10-30-2011, 5:53 PM
CGSSA Associate

CZ Hall at the ASW Base in Point Loma is pretty darn good. Especially on Thursdays for the Mongolian BBQ
Old 10-30-2011, 6:46 PM
Calguns Addict

USS Pickaway APA 222 chiefs mess. Was assigned for several weeks, got to eat off china instead of a tin tray + great chow.

Coming back from liberty go to the chiefs mess for a midnight snack, horse c*ck and cheese sandwich. Working the chiefs mess had it's perks! Made a lot of friends.
Old 10-30-2011, 8:42 PM
CGSSA Associate

Plus you got what is now known as the college fund for extra:cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMG View Post
USS Pickaway APA 222 chiefs mess. Was assigned for several weeks, got to eat off china instead of a tin tray + great chow.

Coming back from liberty go to the chiefs mess for a midnight snack, horse c*ck and cheese sandwich. Working the chiefs mess had it's perks! Made a lot of friends.