Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

View Poll Results: Which Bolt Action Hunting Rifle Manufacturer?
Remington 44 41.90%
Ruger 4 3.81%
Browning 7 6.67%
Savage 15 14.29%
Smith & Wesson 0 0%
Tikka 18 17.14%
Howa 2 1.90%
Kimber 4 3.81%
Marlin 0 0%
Weatherby 11 10.48%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2008, 11:37 PM

Default Best Hunting Rifle Manufacturer?

I realize that this may be another topic that is purely subjective, but I'm still curious to know what people think regardless. Maybe another poll can help decide which rifle manufacturer to go with for boar hunting this year.

Thinking about using a .30-06 bolt action. Even thinking about going with a .270 because of less recoil.

Never been hunting before and would love to get some bacon for myself! Want a decent gun with a good trigger and nice stock. Price not a huge factor, but something considered. So many manufacturers out there.

Bud's seems to have a good deal on a .308 Tikka T3 Super Varmint for $849. Opinion on that?

Thought I'd ask for some advice from my fellow Calgunners.

Also, would a .45 1911 be a good side arm just in case?

Anyone have a recommendation for a good reasonably priced outfitter? Live in the SF Bay Area.

Thanks for the help everyone! The advice is always appreciated.
Old 09-15-2008, 4:36 AM
Veteran Member

Why is'nt Winchester listed? The winchester model 70 is the best ever made. The pre 64 and the classic are the perfect gun. Many of the manufactuerers you listed built their firearms on the pattern of the Winchester pre-64 model 70's. Put Winchester in the poll and maybe I will vote.

Last edited by dominic; 09-15-2008 at 4:44 AM..
Old 09-15-2008, 5:47 AM

Default tikka

What's best is hard to say. From my experience Tikka is a very good rifle, but for hunting you'd want as lite a rifle as possible so I'd suggest you look at tikka T3 Lite. For a side arm for pig hunting you will need more stopping power than .45 acp provides. In my opinion, .44 magnum would be sufficient round for the task.
Vasiliy
Old 09-15-2008, 6:02 AM
Veteran Member

I use A Winchester Mod 70 chambered in 30-06. I love the rifle and have shot my share of deer with it. For North American hunting, I would say 30-06 is hard to beat. It is capable of taking just about anything and has a variety of bullet weights to choose from. I come from a family of hunters and most use either a Winchester or a Remington.
NFA is a long ways off as well it should be. Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...-Gene
Old 09-15-2008, 6:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominic View Post
Why is'nt Winchester listed? The winchester model 70 is the best ever made. The pre 64 and the classic are the perfect gun. Many of the manufactuerers you listed built their firearms on the pattern of the Winchester pre-64 model 70's. Put Winchester in the poll and maybe I will vote.
Which in turn is based on a Mauser. Why isn't the Mauser listed? Do you realize how many sporterized Mausers are out there that have been used as hunting rifles?

A government is a body of people usually notably ungoverned.

-Shepard Booke
Old 09-15-2008, 6:46 AM
Veteran Member

It is true that Winchester based their claw-type extractor on the Mauser extractor, but I don't see any similarities beyond that.
Old 09-15-2008, 6:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Winchester.

Remington a really close second.
Old 09-15-2008, 7:49 AM
Calguns Addict

I voted Remington, but only because Winchester is not a choice. Who doesn't love a Pre-64 Model 70?

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 09-15-2008, 7:55 AM

I'm a Winchester (pre 64) owner too BUT they were not on the poll so I voted for Savage. Im thinking the OP is talking about getting a NIB gun??

Order of the Brethren of Canary Asses #19
Old 09-15-2008, 7:56 AM
Veteran Member

Tikka/Sako
Old 09-15-2008, 8:00 AM
Calguns Addict

No Winchester? Who doesn't love the "rifleman's rifle" or the slab sided 94 for hunting rifles.

Without Winchester I went with Remington - those two brands represent all my hunting rifles sans 1 which is a Marlin Guide Gun.
Old 09-15-2008, 8:10 AM
Veteran Member

94s are fugly and the bolt throw on the 70s is horrendous.
Old 09-15-2008, 8:14 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydwaiz View Post
Which in turn is based on a Mauser. Why isn't the Mauser listed? Do you realize how many sporterized Mausers are out there that have been used as hunting rifles?
Blasphemy
Old 09-15-2008, 8:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I posted this already but I don't know where it went

My favorite right now is my Winchester M70 Classic Safari Express.

I don't own any Pre-64s because I'm left handed.

BTW new Winchester Model 70s will be released this year (if they're not already out) and are being made in the FN factory in South Carolina.

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 09-15-2008, 10:02 AM

Default NIB is correct

I'm sorry I should have specified about the gun being new. I was partially thinking this because I might get the same rifle for my Dad also in a lefty model. Thanks for all the input so far everyone.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Banned

I'll say I am more partial to Browning

Take a look at this and think about maybe getting one of these, a new Browning Medallion X-Bolt in .308 Win. http://www.browning.com/products/cat...35&type_id=200

Old 09-15-2008, 11:12 AM

I have a savage 110 in .30-06 that I've had since I was 14. Super accurate, good trigger (after I adjusted it), sturdy. The only problem I have had is that the factory stock was ugly, but that broke. I put a factory synthetic take off on it, but am going to change that to a Bell and Carlson real soon. It also needs a better scope, and I'll probably just put a rifle basix trigger on it to round out the package. The barrel has a lot of life left in it so that will stay on if for now.

Now that I've sung the praises of Savage, I say check out the Weatherby Vanguard. I know 3 guys who have bought them recently and all say they'll never buy another type of rifle again. They've currently got a deal going where they cost like $399, and .270 and .30-06 are both included.

Good luck choosing, there are too many choices in quality rifles today to have an easy decision.

George Washington didn't use the 1st amendment to defeat the British...he shot them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 09-15-2008, 4:19 PM
Banned

I voted Tikka only because the best bolt action rifle manufacturer in the world (hands down) isn't on the list: Sauer & Sohn

Click to enlarge:

If you have to ask how much, you can't afford it.

Last edited by .454; 09-15-2008 at 4:26 PM..
Old 09-15-2008, 8:50 PM

I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. I own a win 70 and a savage and love them both. My dad has a couple remingtons and loves those. I would say to pick the one that looks/feels best that will fit your budget. The gun is the easy part, optics are a whole nother game.
Good luck.
Old 09-15-2008, 9:26 PM

I love my Remington 700 (in .30-06) for hunting basically anything, and I can't help but feel attached to the reliability and performance of the 700 long action. I would say that the Remington would definitely be my top choice.

Now, when it comes down to it, I say that the best hunting rifle for you would be the one that (in descending order of importance) goes "boom" every time, feels comfortable against your shoulder, and is lightweight.
-talking about the Sacramento "gang tax" being proposed
Old 09-15-2008, 9:29 PM
In Memoriam

Kimbers are true pre-64 Winchester/ Mauser design both actions which have been designed by hunters. I think they have the best centerfire line right now (made entirely in Yonkers, New York) . Mass produced Remingtons and Japanese made Brownings and winchesters are just not cutting it.

CZ next. Same reason, quality of manufacture
Old 09-16-2008, 4:25 AM

Although it is not on your list, I suggest taking a serious look at Cooper Arms, specifically their M52 line. See: http://www.cooperfirearms.com/

I just picked up my M52 Excalibur in .30-06, which I ordered in February. I have its scope, but haven mounted it yet.

I bought for my dad as a gift a year ago an M52 Classic in .30-06 with French Walnut. Here is my dad holding it:

And, here is how it shoots with its hunting load (three shots at 100 yards):

Mine should perform just as well.

My current larger game rifle is their M22 Phoenix in 6.5x55 SE. I have taken two antelope thus far with it, and will be doing my next hunt in October. Here is how my hunting load performs in this rifle:

What I like about Cooper Arms rifles is first that their accuracy is superb. Also, they are excellent out-of-the-box. All I need to do is mount a quality scope. Nothing needs to be monkeyed with. The design is very well thought-out. You can get them with gorgeous wood stocks, or now a synthetic that is very well executed.

About the scope, regardless of what rifle brand you buy, don't compromise the package by putting a cheap (in terms of quality) scope on it. I have grown to prefer Leupold VX-III scopes with 40mm objectives. I like their LR (Long Range) ones with 30mm tubes and side focus. My varmint rifles have 6.5-20x40mm scopes, and my larger game rifles have 4.5-14x40mm ones.

Oh yeah, I also have a half-dozen of their varmint rifles, mainly in .223 (two) and .204 Ruger (three). They all shoot consistent five-shot quarter-inch groups at 100 yards.

While it takes about six months to get one of their rifles when ordered with specific options or in an uncataloged cartridge, it is fairly easy to find one of their dealers with one in stock (look on GunBroker and GunsAmerica).
Old 01-19-2009, 11:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Where's Sako?
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunde View Post
Although it is not on your list, I suggest taking a serious look at Cooper Arms, specifically their M52 line. See: http://www.cooperfirearms.com/

I just picked up my M52 Excalibur in .30-06, which I ordered in February. I have its scope, but haven mounted it yet.

I bought for my dad as a gift a year ago an M52 Classic in .30-06 with French Walnut. Here is my dad holding it:

And, here is how it shoots with its hunting load (three shots at 100 yards):

Mine should perform just as well.

My current larger game rifle is their M22 Phoenix in 6.5x55 SE. I have taken two antelope thus far with it, and will be doing my next hunt in October. Here is how my hunting load performs in this rifle:

What I like about Cooper Arms rifles is first that their accuracy is superb. Also, they are excellent out-of-the-box. All I need to do is mount a quality scope. Nothing needs to be monkeyed with. The design is very well thought-out. You can get them with gorgeous wood stocks, or now a synthetic that is very well executed.

About the scope, regardless of what rifle brand you buy, don't compromise the package by putting a cheap (in terms of quality) scope on it. I have grown to prefer Leupold VX-III scopes with 40mm objectives. I like their LR (Long Range) ones with 30mm tubes and side focus. My varmint rifles have 6.5-20x40mm scopes, and my larger game rifles have 4.5-14x40mm ones.

Oh yeah, I also have a half-dozen of their varmint rifles, mainly in .223 (two) and .204 Ruger (three). They all shoot consistent five-shot quarter-inch groups at 100 yards.

While it takes about six months to get one of their rifles when ordered with specific options or in an uncataloged cartridge, it is fairly easy to find one of their dealers with one in stock (look on GunBroker and GunsAmerica).
How much are they in 30-06?
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member

Voted Tikka only because Winchester wasn't listed. I really like my Remington 700 as well, but it's no Winchester. T/C Icon should be on the list too.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:33 PM

+1 for Sako and Cooper. Remmys are good and a bargin but not in the same league.
Old 01-20-2009, 7:38 AM

Best current manufacture? Look at Sako.

Want the best bang for the buck? Check out Savage and CZ.
Old 01-20-2009, 7:44 AM

Umm - you left off one of the best - CZ. Also - no Winchester? Their new Model 70's are nice.

My vote is for CZ first. Followed by Tikka for their bang for the buck.
Old 01-20-2009, 8:00 AM
Veteran Member

Last edited by BigBamBoo; 08-03-2011 at 3:08 PM..
Old 01-20-2009, 8:14 AM
Calguns Addict

I recently went through the same dilemna and in the end came out with a Remington 700 in 30-06. Certainly not exotic, but the support for the rifle was what really won me over. I had considered CZ, but the high bolt through forced me to mount the scope higher.

I thought heavily on the new Winchesters by FN, but felt at this time it's too early to tell how they'll go in terms of quality. When I was looking around, not many have hit the shelves yet. I think I only found two brand new ones in my whole time looking.

Kimber's Montana was certainly the next runner up. At 6 1/2 lbs. it was certainly something to consider. But mediocre accuracy reports was largely reported. On 24hourcampfire, this rifle is largely debated, with people standing either loving it, or hating it.

I didn't really look into Tikka, the synthetic stock when I first held it didn't feel right. Although the accuracy reports have been very tempting.

But, in the end, the Remington 700 is what I chose. Can't say I regret the decision either.

Old 01-20-2009, 8:16 AM

OP needs to add Winchester, CZ, Steyr, and Mauser.
Old 01-20-2009, 9:35 AM

Savage for me. I killed 20 or 30 deer with a 110 lefthanded 30-06, but to be honest, I have filled a lot of tags with other rifles also.

Savage is one of the few rifle manufacturers that utilizes a top tang safety, which I think is the quickest and most convenient places to have one. It also functions like the vaunted Winchester three position safety, so it gives nothing away on that account.

Now that they have the Accu-Trigger to go along with their usually accurate barrels, and a newly designed synthetic stock bedding (for those inclined to plastic) they are just that much better.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:00 AM

Remmy!!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:03 AM

Weatherby Synthetic Mark V in .30-06 is what I have/use. You can not go wrong with a Weatherby.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Calguns Addict

#1 is Savage
#2 is Tikka
#3 is CZ

It takes time and money to get a Remmy to shoot like any of the above rifles does out of the box. I use a Savage 16 FCSS for coyote hunting and a CZ 527varmint kevlar for prarie dogs and squirrels, both were sub-moa shooters out of the box.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Of whats in the poll I have to say Remington but I love my Winchesters and Steyr
CZ is great too.