Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 09-13-2008, 7:00 AM

Default Pre-Ban vs. New Glock Mag's

Is there any difference between the pre-ban glock 33 rd. and 17 rd. 9mm mags and the new ones glock sells? If so what? Are any of the parts exactly the same?

Thanks

Tenbrook
Old 09-13-2008, 7:19 AM
Calguns Addict

I think the tubes are different, and the base plates may have different numbers on them. I rebuilt some of my old Gen-I G17 magazines with new tubes/baseplates awhile back.
I have yet to need to change the follower, so someone else will have to tell you if that's different at all.

-Dave

PS- I think the new 33rd mags have different base plates too- not sure about the tubes.
Old 09-13-2008, 8:42 AM

I can answer this one. Mind you, I’m discussing just the G17 9mm magazines. GLOCK’s original (pre-ban) magazines were NFML (non-full metal lined). They were designed to stick in the magazine well if the magazines had ammunition in them and the magazine catch was inadvertently pushed. These magazines had no inserts and the floor plates didn’t have the hole in them as the future varieties have. You can tell these magazines easily by the distinctive “U-shaped” notch. These magazines could be upgraded with the 5572 insert and 455 floor plate. Prior to the 1994 ban GLOCK also introduced the FML (full-metal lined) magazines. These magazines have the “square notch” on them, which is still the case today. They also had the 1693 insert and 3206 floor plate, both of which are still used today. The 1994 ban saw two changes. 10-round magazines were introduced, which had its own 2183 follower and the standard-capacity magazines (I dislike the use of “high capacity”) were marked “LE only.” Fast forward to 2004. 10-round magazines are still produced for those folks with magazine capacity limitations. For standard capacity magazines the tubes were changed, as were the followers. Since 2004 the tubes have been changed once again and the current followers are at #6. The current standard magazines look like the last of the pre-ban magazines. It takes a trained eye to spot the differences but the give away is the follower. Magazine springs for the 17-rounders (448) have not changed since their introduction to the U.S. in 1986. Magazine springs for the 10-rounders (2309) haven’t changed either. Don’t get me started on the “+” inserts and floor plates.

You asked.
Old 09-13-2008, 9:10 AM
Maniac
CGN Contributor

Default Glock Mags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Pechner View Post
I can answer this one. Mind you, I’m discussing just the G17 9mm magazines. GLOCK’s original (pre-ban) magazines were NFML (non-full metal lined). They were designed to stick in the magazine well if the magazines had ammunition in them and the magazine catch was inadvertently pushed. These magazines had no inserts and the floor plates didn’t have the hole in them as the future varieties have. You can tell these magazines easily by the distinctive “U-shaped” notch. These magazines could be upgraded with the 5572 insert and 455 floor plate. Prior to the 1994 ban GLOCK also introduced the FML (full-metal lined) magazines. These magazines have the “square notch” on them, which is still the case today. They also had the 1693 insert and 3206 floor plate, both of which are still used today. The 1994 ban saw two changes. 10-round magazines were introduced, which had its own 2183 follower and the standard-capacity magazines (I dislike the use of “high capacity”) were marked “LE only.” Fast forward to 2004. 10-round magazines are still produced for those folks with magazine capacity limitations. For standard capacity magazines the tubes were changed, as were the followers. Since 2004 the tubes have been changed once again and the current followers are at #6. The current standard magazines look like the last of the pre-ban magazines. It takes a trained eye to spot the differences but the give away is the follower. Magazine springs for the 17-rounders (448) have not changed since their introduction to the U.S. in 1986. Magazine springs for the 10-rounders (2309) haven’t changed either. Don’t get me started on the “+” inserts and floor plates.

You asked.
WOW You know way to much about Glock mags J/K Nice Work!
Old 09-13-2008, 10:46 AM
short bus driver

Generations #1-4 were made before the ban.
Generations #5-6 were made during the ban.
Generation #7 was made after the ban.
There is now a Generation #8 (not pictured). It looks similar to Generation #7, but has the ambi-mag release cut-out in the front of the magazine.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 09-13-2008 at 12:35 PM..
Old 09-13-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forynot View Post
WOW You know way to much about Glock mags J/K Nice Work!
and there's a good reason for it. Paul is da man.
Old 09-13-2008, 1:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i've done a bit of research on glock magazines

all my glock 17 mags and most of my glock 21 mags are origional U mags as when i bought the glocks it came with them during the period after 1994 things went a little nuts
people were selling mags for like $90-$125 each

and me being the sucker that i am at a cow palace show i bought 2 third gen mags from one eyed jack for $90 a piece (ouch) because he recognized me as buying some mini 14 mags a while back he wanted $110 each at the time so i saved 20 each buying two

here is a pic of the U knotch mags

here is a pic o got online about the generations

its hard to tell from that pic since i cannot tell if there is a square knotch mag

i've always gone

U are the first gen the square are the second and the angled ones were third

but there is so many little differences
most my U knotch mags floorplates dont have the inner locking plate their internal metal is black but one of them does and its internal metal is shiny so would that be a generation 2.5?
their floorplates actually go up inside the grip a little the newer ones just are a even bottom

its a real conundrum all the little changes to"perfection" over the years

but it seems that the ones made after the crime bill expiration that are unmarked have the caliber designation up higher on the back than before

here is a pic of the square knotch (funky mag) for glock 21 the two i bought from one-eye and a sherer replacement body for that one unfortunate incident when i split a body(yea the one time a U knotch decides to drop free i step on it)

the shearer body sucks they only made them for less than a year right at the end of the ban it was full of plastic sprue and the rear notch which was square had burs that caught the rims so i dremmeled them into angle cut type and after careful cleanup with a long snap blade razor knife i cleaned it up enough to feed most of the time as you see i put a +2 on the bottom since i got it in a trade and like keeping my glock mags pure

ive never used the 2 $90 ones as they cost me so much i treat them like faberge' eggs

Last edited by bohoki; 09-13-2008 at 1:48 PM.. Reason: dug in the back of my safe for more mags
Old 09-13-2008, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Pechner View Post

You asked.
Its true I hate that about them they expand when the ammo is loaded,

Quote:
"How many more tragedies does it take before we do something,” he demanded. “How many more children have to die before this country realizes that No-Gun Zones create perfect locations for violence? You can not stop criminals and mad men with laws, you can only stop violence with the fear of armed victims."
-Alan Gottlieb
Old 09-13-2008, 4:06 PM

All I know is you better bring the speed loader to the range if you have 10 rounders. Loading the last round by hand when shooting all day is a ***** on the fingers.
Old 09-13-2008, 7:20 PM

I have another question. If you owned Pre-Ban Mag's and have rebuilt them a number of times, so there was no longer any of the original parts (pre-ban parts) in the mag. Are they still legal? Do you have to keep at least one of the original parts?
Old 09-13-2008, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtlltj View Post
All I know is you better bring the speed loader to the range if you have 10 rounders. Loading the last round by hand when shooting all day is a ***** on the fingers.
For some reason, I can't load the last round worth a damn with the speed loader. I use it for like rounds 4-9, and then use my fingers for the last one. I cannot for the life of me get number 10 in there with the loader. I have it down to a science with my fingers though.
Old 09-14-2008, 6:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbrook View Post
I have another question. If you owned Pre-Ban Mag's and have rebuilt them a number of times, so there was no longer any of the original parts (pre-ban parts) in the mag. Are they still legal? Do you have to keep at least one of the original parts?

Old 09-14-2008, 8:00 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I would advise keeping the original parts so that you could demonstrate that you rebuilt a mag. Safer that way.

Turby
Old 09-14-2008, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
I would advise keeping the original parts so that you could demonstrate that you rebuilt a mag. Safer that way.

Turby
I have tossed em? Do you HAVE to have them?
Old 09-14-2008, 9:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm coming right over with the SWAT team, hold your position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalK9.com View Post
Also dont worry if u have never built one once you go to a build party you will know everything and have a perfect functioning rifle.
Old 09-14-2008, 9:53 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
I'm coming right over with the SWAT team, hold your position.

We already have him under surveillance...
Old 09-14-2008, 4:23 PM

Quote:
no, you dont have to

Join The NRA

"America is at that awkward stage. It’s too late to change the system from within, yet too early to shoot the bastards." - Claire Wolf

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." -Mahatma Gandhi
Old 09-14-2008, 4:41 PM
Veteran Member

http://glockmeister.com/product_info...products_id=78
Old 09-14-2008, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naimad View Post
Good Man! Thanks!
Old 09-15-2008, 1:48 AM
Dinosaur

I rebuilt mine with later bodies... so they'd all be drop-free.
Old 09-15-2008, 8:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntech View Post
Its true I hate that about them they expand when the ammo is loaded,
They were purposefully designed that way...
Old 09-15-2008, 8:55 AM
Veteran Member

wait so are these in the right generational order?

does it go along with what paul pechner said?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MagazineGenerations-rear.jpg (74.7 KB, 218 views)
Old 09-15-2008, 9:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinydex View Post
wait so are these in the right generational order?

does it go along with what paul pechner said?
they didn't make all types in all calibers so that adds to the confusion of generational differences

the #1 mag is non metal lined

the difference between #2 #3 is they added a little over insertion shelf

the difference between 3 and 4 is number 4 is full metal lined and the mag body was lengthened to allow a baseplate that does not enter the mag well

there really should be a mag between the squareback#4 and lowcap#5 that is a full capacity mag with the angle cuts
(it also allows a +2 bottom to fit +3 comfortably in 9mm)

Last edited by bohoki; 09-15-2008 at 9:44 AM..
Old 09-15-2008, 2:08 PM
Veteran Member

oh fo sho... ****z confusin'
Old 02-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Calguns Addict

OK, I'll risk a necro-post. Safer than risking someone grumbling about "use the search button!"

I have a number of .40 cal G22 magazines, both 10-round and 15.

Some of these I have rebuilt over the years, especially to replace the pre-ban NFML bodies with drop-free bodies. Thinking about it the other day, I realize I have a number of different baseplates, some with 3206, some 455 (originally pre-ban?) and some without numbers (just the Glock logo). What is the difference between these baseplates, and does it matter which go with which bodies? On a related topic, I've probably mixed the followers up over the years, so is that also a possible problem for reliability? I have always made sure to use the ten round springs in ten round bodies, and likewise the fifteen.

I've never experienced a problem, so maybe I'm worrying about nothing, but if anyone wants to comment, I'm listening. After all, if they have different part numbers, there must be a reason.

Any comments too on the new eleven coil springs I see advertised?

All opinions expressed here are my own unless I say otherwise.
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

Last edited by Glock22Fan; 02-16-2009 at 3:55 PM..
Old 02-17-2009, 5:48 PM
Veteran Member

there is a glock magazines generations thread. try looking there.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
i've done a bit of research on glock magazines

all my glock 17 mags and most of my glock 21 mags are origional U mags as when i bought the glocks it came with them during the period after 1994 things went a little nuts
people were selling mags for like $90-$125 each

and me being the sucker that i am at a cow palace show i bought 2 third gen mags from one eyed jack for $90 a piece (ouch) because he recognized me as buying some mini 14 mags a while back he wanted $110 each at the time so i saved 20 each buying two

here is a pic of the U knotch mags

here is a pic o got online about the generations

its hard to tell from that pic since i cannot tell if there is a square knotch mag

i've always gone

U are the first gen the square are the second and the angled ones were third

but there is so many little differences
most my U knotch mags floorplates dont have the inner locking plate their internal metal is black but one of them does and its internal metal is shiny so would that be a generation 2.5?
their floorplates actually go up inside the grip a little the newer ones just are a even bottom

its a real conundrum all the little changes to"perfection" over the years

but it seems that the ones made after the crime bill expiration that are unmarked have the caliber designation up higher on the back than before

here is a pic of the square knotch (funky mag) for glock 21 the two i bought from one-eye and a sherer replacement body for that one unfortunate incident when i split a body(yea the one time a U knotch decides to drop free i step on it)

the shearer body sucks they only made them for less than a year right at the end of the ban it was full of plastic sprue and the rear notch which was square had burs that caught the rims so i dremmeled them into angle cut type and after careful cleanup with a long snap blade razor knife i cleaned it up enough to feed most of the time as you see i put a +2 on the bottom since i got it in a trade and like keeping my glock mags pure

ive never used the 2 $90 ones as they cost me so much i treat them like faberge' eggs

would love to see the flip side of these mags :-)
Old 11-01-2009, 1:01 PM

Thanks for all the information, I have learned a lot about the Glock magazines in this thread.

Can anyone recommend any good online place to order the rebuild-kit for the Glock magazines (mine is Glock 19)?

Regards,
Old 11-01-2009, 2:40 PM
short bus driver

Default necro-thread

Since, someone already brought up this thread.

Figured I post updated photos of the different Glock generations.

Generations 1-4 = pre-'94 ban
Generations 5-6 = during the '94 ban
Generations 7-8 = post-'94 ban

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 11-01-2009, 4:31 PM
Veteran Member

You do not need to keep the original parts in the rebuild, If you need to rebuild the magazine just make sure you do not end up with more mags than you had and do not assemble the rebuild kits while the prebans are assembled or you are manufacturing illegal high capacity mags. All of my Glock 17 mags are rebuilt I have some pre bans I left loaded that cracked I decided to just rebuild all of them and toss the springs and followers after all the way I see it why not just overhaul the whole thing?
Old 04-04-2010, 7:00 PM

Sorry to bump this but....

Can I buy and legally use pre-ban hicap 9mm mags for my G19 that I bought in June?
Old 04-04-2010, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychbiker View Post
Sorry to bump this but....

Can I buy and legally use pre-ban hicap 9mm mags for my G19 that I bought in June?
NO!!! If you were not in possesion of regular capacity mags before the ban date, then you CANNOT buy them and use them now. You can buy rebuild kits but you CANNOT assemble them within the state. FUN isn't it!!!
Old 04-04-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrifle242 View Post
NO!!! If you were not in possesion of regular capacity mags before the ban date, then you CANNOT buy them and use them now. You can buy rebuild kits but you CANNOT assemble them within the state. FUN isn't it!!!
Kinda like having porn but not being allowed to look at it.

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll just stock up on some 10s then.
Old 04-15-2010, 4:38 PM

Out of all of my Glock 17 mags I have two that look just like #6 in this pic:

The rest are post ban production. Does this mean that if there is ever a ban of some sort (over my dead body) that these #6's will be worth more, less or no difference? Are they worth more, less or no difference now? The reason I ask is I have the option to sell two and if these #6's are somehow inferior I will offload them now. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2011, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrifle242 View Post
So, if you assemble them in say NV, then come back to CA your fine? Or did I miss what you said?

Here is another question (for anyone). How do you prove you have a pre-ban if you have rebuilt it?
Old 04-19-2011, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep7081 View Post
So, if you assemble them in say NV, then come back to CA your fine? Or did I miss what you said?

Here is another question (for anyone). How do you prove you have a pre-ban if you have rebuilt it?
Assemble them in NV. Use in NV. Disassemble in NV.

Return them to CA as rebuild kits.
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.” - Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle
Old 04-19-2011, 8:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep7081 View Post

1. Do not assemble a "hi-cap" and bring it back to CA, that is importing and is also illegal.

2. You don't need to prove anything. It is up to them to prove you have illegally manufactured/imported a hi-cap

PM me for electrical work
Old 05-31-2011, 9:26 PM

Here is a pic of angle cut pre ban which should go between 4 and 5. Sorry don't have a better pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0756.jpg (99.7 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by dafishe; 05-31-2011 at 9:51 PM..
Old 06-15-2011, 7:26 AM

tag

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.
-Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-15-2011, 6:19 PM
Very Nice Honey Badger
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Everything you always wanted to know about mags in CA:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=387409

Thanks Librarian...

DO NOT Use Amazon Smile! Use Shop42A.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontJames View Post
I guess it depends on what your definition of law breaking is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Here, let me Google that for you ... :)

No, no, that would be cruel.