Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 07-10-2009, 5:05 AM

I hope I can shed some light and save you a lot of time and money ok! My wife has recently gotten her CCW license and she went through the ordeal of selecting, firing several handguns at the indoor shooting range. NOT the best place to take a women who wants to learn how to shoot a gun.......The blessed places are very LOUD period. She tried two different Kahr's (rental guns) there and both of them jammed up, one on the 3 shot the other on the second magazine 2nd shot........NOT GOOD.

OK forgetabout those small little semi-auto pistols ladies!!! Yes, they can be easy concealed, most are NOT reliable in the first place. I am speaking of the RUGER LCP, KEL-TEC's which have very hard triggers to pull etc and JAM a bunch. We spent 2 months trying out various pistols and purchasing various types of ammo to make those little pistols go BANG!!!

They were never 100% reliable....NEVER. Always had JAMS & Misfires with them period. Many women will have a hard time keeping their wrist from going "limp" and this causes misfires in little pistols like those KEL-TEC'S etc. GLOCKS have a very easy constant trigger pull, not like the Sigs, where the first shot to fire must have you pull a 10-pound trigger pull, then it gets easier with a 5.5 pound pull. The first shot is the most important 90% of the time if you have to use your gun.

Another great pistol for a women, is a REVOLVER like the Smith & Wesson "Airweight" in the 38spl caliber. You can bet your life on a revolver and that is a fact. Misfire! You just pull that trigger once again for the BANG to happen. It is very fast in that respect ok.

In the first place, the pistol must fit YOUR HAND ladies. YOU are not going to shoot a pistol accurately unless it does fit your hand well. It should feel good in your hand and let you grip the pistol with a strong grip.

My wife had owned several pistols in the last couple of months, KEL-TEC 11, KEL-TEC PF-9, Ruger LCP, Sig-P239, Sig P-232. She now carry's a GLOCK 26 which is the 9mm Luger caliber. It fits her hand and is NOT over powering like the Sig 40 cal.

Now for you ladies, who have a hard time with concealment of a pistol, a lady's purse made to conceal a pistol is the "Cat's Meow" and still lets you dress for hot weather.

Last edited by Tonk; 07-10-2009 at 5:14 AM..
Old 07-10-2009, 8:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Keep in mind that range rentals are rearely cleaned and poorly maintained- not the examples for reliability.

I think you may be broadbrushing here. I know many women who can equally (and comfortably) shoot small compacts and large government models. That said, I am of the mind that the .22lr is a great starting point for all shooters (not just women), and to grow into calibers from there. It may be a fast transition, but at least a progression that is controllable.

Your advice w/r/t Airweight gives me pause; you expect ANYone to enjoy shooting a .38 out of that? When one's life depends on it, I'd hate to have a bad first shot from anticipating the recoil.

My wife likes her carry piece on her, since she usually sets her purse down or puts it into storage at work. For that, she's using the Smartcarry holster

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 07-10-2009, 8:45 AM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

i almost didn't pick up another revolver at the rental range because the first thing i fired was an airweight with a light .357 load. i'd never buy one or recommend it to a friend....maybe an enemy, though. geez, that thing hurt and i was scared to pick up the next rental.

i settled for a s&w model 60 snubbie which i adore....and then i started adding more and more smiths of one flavor or another. i also bought a colt mark IV officers' .45acp recently which i also adore.

mz

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt