Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblr View Post
I would think that if the courts rule on our side, SB707 would be thrown out as unconstitutional. Wouldn't this automatically revert the law (PC 626.9) back to the pre-SB707 status?
Depends on "severability." Most laws can have individual portions stricken down.
Old 04-19-2016, 5:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
Depends on "severability." Most laws can have individual portions stricken down.
Correct. 707 could stay intact other than "retired LE don't get to CCW
on school grounds differently than anyone else."

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 04-19-2016, 5:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfpcservice View Post
Most of the support of LE organizations has come with exemptions for their people. If they can't get the exemptions anymore, it is less likely they will support 2a infringments.
Yup.

And the immediate past history of lobbyists for PORAC, XYZ Dept. Sheriff's Assn (i.e, from large counties/many members) etc is "add LE exemption and then we remove our opposition."

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 04-20-2016, 2:44 PM

I always find it frustrating/amusing that the same people who line up to protest against police misuse of force are the ones arguing that only police are well trained and disciplined enough to be trusted with firearms.

Cognitive dissonance much?
Old 04-20-2016, 2:45 PM

usually same ones who line up for free benefits at the expense of taxpayers.
Old 04-20-2016, 8:45 PM

How long will this be held up in court is my?
Old 04-20-2016, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Gunning View Post
Five years.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Gunning View Post
I believe we already have a precedent that *retired* LEOs are no special flakes.
Old 04-21-2016, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
I guess I misunderstood how the lawsuits work. I really hoped the CCW exemption could be reinstated, as it is truly a pain for me to pick up my kids at school now. I understand the long-term effects of the lawsuit, but in the short term it really won't benefit me at all to donate any more money to fight this.
Old 04-21-2016, 3:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblr View Post
I guess I misunderstood how the lawsuits work. I really hoped the CCW exemption could be reinstated, as it is truly a pain for me to pick up my kids at school now. I understand the long-term effects of the lawsuit, but in the short term it really won't benefit me at all to donate any more money to fight this.
But bringing an end to LEO exemptions would be huge!

And concealed is concealed.....yuh know....just sayin'

Quote for the day:
Quote:
"..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun

Last edited by Untamed1972; 04-21-2016 at 3:25 PM..
Old 04-21-2016, 5:08 PM

I'm not sure how challenging retired LE exemptions helps anyone. If anything this is just leading to exactly what we don't want...more people without guns. I don't know about you guys but I want every law abiding adult citizen carrying, including retired LEOs who served our communities with honor.
Old 04-21-2016, 6:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dael View Post
I'm not sure how challenging retired LE exemptions helps anyone. If anything this is just leading to exactly what we don't want...more people without guns. I don't know about you guys but I want every law abiding adult citizen carrying, including retired LEOs who served our communities with honor.
Because of this reason:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfpcservice View Post
Most of the support of LE organizations has come with exemptions for their people. If they can't get the exemptions anymore, it is less likely they will support 2a infringments.
Old 04-23-2016, 9:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed1972 View Post
Always thought it was odd that active reserve LEOs had to apply for a CCW though?
Depends on the type of reserve.

Level 3 - only peace officer while on duty, needs CCW
Level 2 - only peace officer while on duty, needs CCW
Level 1 non designated - only peace officer while on duty, needs CCW
Level 1 designated - has 24 hour peace officer status and can carry the same as full time.

NRA Patron-Life Member
Old 04-23-2016, 9:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrr View Post
I always find it frustrating/amusing that the same people who line up to protest against police misuse of force are the ones arguing that only police are well trained and disciplined enough to be trusted with firearms.

Cognitive dissonance much?
Is this an unsupported opinion or can you cite specific studies, articles, etc. that support your statement?

NRA Patron-Life Member
Old 04-23-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Exactly!

There's a lot of jealousy and spitefulness among the membership regarding CCW privlidges. Though I fully understand folks frustration, taking privlidges away from anyone is a step backwards. Instead of holding the sour grapes attitude of "if we can't have it, nobody should have it; "the battle cry should be, "if It's good enough for the retired cops, then it's good for the rest of us."

NRA Patron-Life Member
Old 04-23-2016, 10:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Lou View Post
Exactly!

There's a lot of jealousy and spitefulness among the membership regarding CCW privlidges. Though I fully understand folks frustration, taking privlidges away from anyone is a step backwards. Instead of holding the sour grapes attitude of "if we can't have it, nobody should have it; "the battle cry should be, "if It's good enough for the retired cops, then it's good for the rest of us."
You failed to address the main reasoning for this lawsuit.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:09 PM

^^^^^^^^
What he said!
Old 04-24-2016, 5:42 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Quote:
Exactly!

chess, not checkers.

many feel that a little temporary pain (taking away a gun privilege from some) will have a long-term benefit when those that lost their privilege will no longer support anti-gun laws when they aren't exempted from it.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 04-24-2016, 7:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Exactly!

What arrogance. The "Battle Cry" should be, "It's good enough for all of us."

It isn't "jealousy" or "spitefulness"

It's a demand for equal rights.

Did women want to vote because they were "jealous" of male voters?
Did minorities want to drink from the same water fountains as whites, or sit at the same lunch counter or ride the same bus as whites because they were "jealous"?

No. They wanted these things because, in this country, all men (and women and minorities) are created equal.

But, in your Animal Farm view, some LEOs are a little more equal.

Honorably retired LEOs are not LEOS. They are citizens just like the rest of us.

The fact LEOs chose a different career path from the majority of the populace should NEVER be the reason to separate their rights from ours nor to grant privilege not allowed to all. It certainly should not be used to validate a requirement that we lower peons must ride in the back of the bus.

Law enforcement is a strong voice in the political process. The strategy, then, is to silence that voice or co-opt it to support egregious transgressions of the rights of the general populace by simply exempting active and retired LEOs from the indignity of the constraint.

If law enforcement is forced to feel the same pain and indignity of these acts, the acts would never see the light of day.
Old 04-24-2016, 1:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Dr. Lou thinks carrying a gun is a privilege, as he stated twice in his post. If that's not a complete misunderstanding of civil rights, I don't know what is.

Last edited by skyscraper; 04-24-2016 at 1:54 PM..
Old 04-25-2016, 11:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Though I fully understand folks frustration, taking privlidges away from anyone is a step backwards.
By itself, this statement is true. However, the context changes everything: the goal is NOT to go after the retired LEOs, but to go after the LEO unions which are an integral and significant factor in passing bad gun legislation in CA.

If (and only if) LEO unions keep their support of gun control in spite of their members not getting "special snowflake status," then (and only then) is your statement above fully correct. My money is that unions will change their position once they cannot negotiate special deals. For example, do you really think we would have "handgun roster" if LEOs were not exempt both privately and on duty? Do you really think we would have the 10 round capacity limit if LEOs couldn't have the extra capacity?
Old 04-25-2016, 11:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Instead of holding the sour grapes attitude of "if we can't have it, nobody should have it; "the battle cry should be, "if It's good enough for the retired cops, then it's good for the rest of us."
The battle cry should be "if it's a right it should be treated as a right."

It's the LEO unions that are culpable in our inability to exercise our rights. Get them on our side, get them to stop negotiating special deals, get them to be in the same position as we are, then we become brothers in arms and share the rallying cry.
Old 04-25-2016, 8:46 PM

Amen Brother!
Old 04-26-2016, 8:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

LEO Unions are the only reason California is in the state its in concerning 2A.
Typically those who maintain the mindset of chasing a non-violent utopia are those who live in a world of privilege. Those people have the luxury of looking at violence and societal turmoil from an ivory tower, rather than from an earthbound perspective.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Exactly!

It's funny how so many LEOs and retired LEOs think that they are entitled to special treatment and more rights than the general public. They pay their unions to protect them from the effects same laws that their unions support and that they then enforce against to the rest of us. If I had my way there would be no >10rd mags in a duty weapon or on a duty belt until the limit is lifted for the rest of us. No exemptions from the roster. No exemptions, on or off duty from the AWB. And no off duty carry until carry laws are lifted for the rest of us. Trust me, those anti-2A laws would all be repealed in less than a year if LEOs were subjected to the same laws that they enforce on the rest of us. It's not jealousy, LEOs helped make this bed and they should have to sleep in it - just like they force on us peasants - at gun point.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 04-26-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post
It's funny how so many LEOs and retired LEOs think that they are entitled to special treatment and more rights than the general public. They pay their unions to protect them from the effects same laws that their unions support and that they then enforce against to the rest of us. If I had my way there would be no >10rd mags in a duty weapon or on a duty belt until the limit is lifted for the rest of us. No exemptions from the roster. No exemptions, on or off duty from the AWB. And no off duty carry until carry laws are lifted for the rest of us. Trust me, those anti-2A laws would all be repealed in less than a year if LEOs were subjected to the same laws that they enforce on the rest of us. It's not jealousy, LEOs helped make this bed and they should have to sleep in it - just like they force on us peasants - at gun point.
Amen!.....Exactly the way I see it. Well said.
Old 04-26-2016, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3200OUT View Post
I agree one hundred percent. If it's too dangerous for the general public it's too dangerous to allow the Government to have them for control of the general public. Take it all away. No "high capacity magazines", mandatory bullet buttons, etc.

No exceptions for anyone.
I totally agree l. But as a matter of legal strategy, which would be better, get 707 out of the way first and use that to piggyback on the roster, BB and 10-round mags, or, hit them all at the same time?
Old 04-26-2016, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
chess, not checkers.

many feel that a little temporary pain (taking away a gun privilege from some) will have a long-term benefit when those that lost their privilege will no longer support anti-gun laws when they aren't exempted from it.
^^^ This.
Old 04-26-2016, 1:41 PM

[QUOTE=Dvrjon;18054780]What arrogance. The "Battle Cry" should be, "It's good enough for all of us."

It isn't "jealousy" or "spitefulness"

It's a demand for equal rights.

Honorably retired LEOs are not LEOS.

^^^ This.

Dr Lou, want a retired lawyer that no longer holds a license to practice law to defend you in court? Same question with being operated on by a retired, no longer licensed surgeon.
Old 04-27-2016, 2:07 PM

I really never understood how retired LEOs could have the privilege. It seems really unfair.
Old 04-27-2016, 6:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Leo View Post
I really never understood how retired LEOs could have the privilege. It seems really unfair.
Inequality of rights often feels that way to those deprived of the right.
Old 04-30-2016, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Exactly!

I seem to remember some BS about a rule in the past giving LEO's some sort of exemptions. We all shut up because we were told shhhhhh this is just a first step, we will support you next. It's just strategy.

Ya well I don't remember being supported by LEO's for anything, in fact seems the LEO groups are sell outs. So it's time to fix that mistake.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackingHeatInSDCA View Post
I seem to remember some BS about a rule in the past giving LEO's some sort of exemptions. We all shut up because we were told shhhhhh this is just a first step, we will support you next. It's just strategy.

Ya well I don't remember being supported by LEO's for anything, in fact seems the LEO groups are sell outs. So it's time to fix that mistake.

I'd like to know why LEOs are allowed to carry off duty. If they want to carry off duty then make them carry a radio on their person and out fit their personal vehicles with lights and siren too.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

That is dumb. Why would you be against another responsible trained citizen working for free. ..

Cops can carry anytime they want. Im fine ..and agree they should if they want to off official duty.

Of course the "regular " citizens should also.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
"the battle cry should be, "if It's good enough for the retired cops, then it's good for the rest of us."
I hope you're rallying the police unions, and both active and retired LEOs, to adopt this stance. Maybe if LEO "exemptions" are taken away, you and other LEOs will finally do just that. An "it's the right thing for all of us" approach is what the 2nd Amendment is all about anyway . . . isn't it?

Old 04-30-2016, 10:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerB View Post
That is dumb. Why would you be against another responsible trained citizen working for free. ..

Cops can carry anytime they want. Im fine ..and agree they should if they want to off official duty.

Of course the "regular " citizens should also.

Chess not checkers. Pain is a great motivator. Make em feel our pain. That might get them on "our" side instead of being in the "I've got mine so I don't care about you" position they take, in general, now.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Given that a similar case by the CO sheriff's was tossed due to them not having standing, this might suffer the same fate.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: I cant wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Old 05-01-2016, 9:30 PM

Default Garcia, et al. v. Attorney General Kamala Harris - against 707 LE exemption

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post

Yea. Let's limit 10rnds for LEO's since criminals will obviously follow the 10rnd limit as well, because that's who the police deal with, criminals.

Roster exemptions could be done away with.

Don't allow an LEO to carry off duty? When was the last time you arrested someone and ran into them off the clock days later.

Better yet, when are you going to make a Citizens arrest in the commission of a crime? Are you going to stick your neck out legally and physically for someone else? Time and time again when there is a violent crime in progress, the public freeze or pull out their cell phones to record it. Are you going to be that guy to stop it in the face of public scrutiny? Possibly endangering yourself or family?

Or are you going to call the police instead?

This is entirely separate from your right to protect yourself. Which you should absolutely do when confronted, and I support your right to carry.

But LEO's have the added moral/ethical duty to act in exigency. Which is beyond the scope of "self-protection". For this very reason is why LEOs carry off duty.

Last edited by Bunyfofu69; 05-01-2016 at 9:34 PM..
Old 05-02-2016, 8:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyfofu69 View Post
But LEO's have the added moral/ethical duty to act in exigency. Which is beyond the scope of "self-protection". For this very reason is why LEOs carry off duty.
I suggest you familiarize yourself with the Warren vs. DC case which established that police have no duty to protect you - even when in uniform/on duty. This is why they shouldn't be allowed to carry without a permit once retired, likely shouldn't be allowed to carry when off duty without a permit issued under the same circumstances as the Average Joe in their jurisdiction and possibly should not be allowed to carry without a permit period *from an equal rights perspective*.
Yes they are charged with enforcing the law. Yes, in the course of their duties they are more theoretically more likely to encounter a violent criminal and require an arm of some type for self defense. I'd argue that any individual officer's likelihood to encounter a violent criminal depends on your locality and the patrol area in that locality - just as it would with any other individual who is not a member of law enforcement.
However, in the broad scope of things, if they have no duty to protect the general public from harm (as determined in Warren and re-affirmed in numerous other cases), then their carrying of a firearm is solely for self defense. Under which circumstances their reason for having what is essentially a carry permit is issued with "self defense" listed as the cause. Boiled down to that basic level, it becomes clear that they are receiving unequal treatment under the law.
I'm not advocating the disarming of police - the vast majority of my family has either served in law enforcement or the military at some point in their lives and I understand the need to be armed in case of confrontation. What I am hoping for is for each and every single person who wishes to be able to defend themselves with a firearm be allowed to do so.
Most police never have to fire their firearm in the line of duty except when visiting the range. Some go their entire careers without even having to draw their weapon on someone. The same is true of most carry permit holders. But like the law enforcement officer who carries a sidearm and a backup just in case - we ought to be afforded the same tools to defend ourselves - in case we are confronted by a violent criminal and no law enforcement is nearby and willing or able to assist us.
Old 05-02-2016, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpegasus View Post
I suggest you familiarize yourself with the Warren vs. DC case which established that police have no duty to protect you - even when in uniform/on duty. This is why they shouldn't be allowed to carry without a permit once retired, likely shouldn't be allowed to carry when off duty without a permit issued under the same circumstances as the Average Joe in their jurisdiction and possibly should not be allowed to carry without a permit period *from an equal rights perspective*.

Yes they are charged with enforcing the law. Yes, in the course of their duties they are more theoretically more likely to encounter a violent criminal and require an arm of some type for self defense. I'd argue that any individual officer's likelihood to encounter a violent criminal depends on your locality and the patrol area in that locality - just as it would with any other individual who is not a member of law enforcement.

However, in the broad scope of things, if they have no duty to protect the general public from harm (as determined in Warren and re-affirmed in numerous other cases), then their carrying of a firearm is solely for self defense. Under which circumstances their reason for having what is essentially a carry permit is issued with "self defense" listed as the cause. Boiled down to that basic level, it becomes clear that they are receiving unequal treatment under the law.

I'm not advocating the disarming of police - the vast majority of my family has either served in law enforcement or the military at some point in their lives and I understand the need to be armed in case of confrontation. What I am hoping for is for each and every single person who wishes to be able to defend themselves with a firearm be allowed to do so.

Most police never have to fire their firearm in the line of duty except when visiting the range. Some go their entire careers without even having to draw their weapon on someone. The same is true of most carry permit holders. But like the law enforcement officer who carries a sidearm and a backup just in case - we ought to be afforded the same tools to defend ourselves - in case we are confronted by a violent criminal and no law enforcement is nearby and willing or able to assist us.

Theoretically more likely to encounter a violent criminal? How about in all probability a Patrol LEO will encounter one on his shift!

Yes quote the decision based on your argument. LEOs are not bound to act by law. But as I stated in my previous post, there is a moral/ethical duty to act if the conditions are right. These morals are played out again and again throughout the US.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/police-o...lives-in-mall/

Just one quick example I googled. Sure there are some desk jockeys that have never drawn their gun and never will. But that doesn't make them any less willing to help in a exigent circumstance.

Do not lump retired LEOs with Active ones and try and argue to degrade their ability to do their duties. Retired is retired. Should they get some exemptions I could careless about.

Active should always be allowed to carry, and be exempt from magazine capacity, because criminals don't care about such nuisance laws.

And a good LEO, in exigency of life or limb, when conditions warrant, will act with far greater certainty.