Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 04-02-2016, 8:23 PM
Veteran Member

Default ME BUBBA...BUBBA LIKE...new site picture post #29

Hi All,

I've had a project rifle's profile and use stuck in my head for some time.

Application (which any stock SKS could fulfill):
To hunt pig here in Kali, which I've never done, and actually only kilt 1 deer, and to build a robust truck gun. I know most don't associate Kali and "Truck Gun", they do exist, but you don't see 'em in cab gun racks these days.
And to comply with the soon to be banned usage of leaded ammo. Monolithic bullets are longer than lead core bullets of the same weight. An expensive.

I didn't want to experiment with my own precious metal, so I've been on the lookout for just the "right" barreled action, with a barrel already cut, an ex-project. Pre Bubbad, if you will. It need not be Tacticool, just Practicool, cobbled together, with some spare bits and pieces, gathered from the realm. And cheap, did I mention cheap?

After trying different furniture, this is what ended up with, fitting me the best, good balance, and I like the way it looks. Choate Drag, no spacers.
Picked up a numbers matching early Sino-Soviet (stock too) cut to 17 1/2". Messed up on the first 14X1 LH thread attempt, wasn't centered to the bore. After cutting to 16 1/2", an annular cutter the second go set the OD, squared the barrel face, threaded, finished the muzzle work with an 11* crown. Prince 50, then topped with a short Tri-Delta brake. I screwed up 2 sight bases and the P50, trying to press the base in.

At the receiver I swapped the Chinese bolt carrier for an un-numbered Alby, and the stock mag for an un-numbered 5 rounder. It turned out pretty cool, has good balance, will get Parked colored Duracote eventually. Not done, but functional as is, and I don't feel the need to go to confession over the blasphemy that's befallen the wretched thing. PAX

[/quote]

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

It a NOT a felony to steal a gun, but it IS a felony not to register a gun you already legally own

Last edited by echo1; 04-07-2016 at 3:48 PM..
Old 04-02-2016, 8:34 PM

Cool

Not a bad bubbarization if I might say so. Not bad at all. What is your definition of cheap?
Old 04-02-2016, 8:38 PM

"Mongo like Sheriff Bart"!
Old 04-02-2016, 9:42 PM

Practicool on a non rare zillions made excellent poor man's deer (pig) rifle is not what I call bubbafying. Truck guns are everywhere here just like in southern California when I was a kid. But I wonder why you swapped out the matched bolt carrier for an Alby....
Old 04-02-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1 View Post
actually only kilt 1 deer,
You KILT a deer, huh? Was it playing the bagpipes as well?
Jon
Old 04-02-2016, 10:38 PM

It looks like a very handy rifle! Ilike the way that brake and fsb or positioned together. Now where can I locate that fsb? Prince 50 its called? I may want to cut shorter and use a fsb like that. Right now I left enough to reuse the old one. Original fsb needs 0.551" - 0.550"
Old 04-02-2016, 11:15 PM
Banned

that poor rifle
Old 04-02-2016, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member

Atrocious.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:03 AM

I kinda like it. Have you had a chance to take it to the range?
Old 04-03-2016, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musketjon View Post
Jon
I have a buddy named Dave that kilt a bar (bear) when he was 3 years old.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:37 AM

Looks handy but as someone else asked....why change the bolt carrier?

How's it shoot?

Thomas Paine

Old 04-03-2016, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darquan View Post
I have a buddy named Dave that kilt a bar (bear) when he was 3 years old.

Yeah...but he was King of the Wild Frontier...so there's that...

Thomas Paine

Old 04-03-2016, 12:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Jon
About 112 yards, slightly down hill. I waited, was patient. Through the left ear out the right eye. Went down to China town. .308 Savage 99F, PAX

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

It a NOT a felony to steal a gun, but it IS a felony not to register a gun you already legally own
Old 04-03-2016, 1:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Eastvale View Post
Practicool on a non rare zillions made excellent poor man's deer (pig) rifle is not what I call bubbafying. Truck guns are everywhere here just like in southern California when I was a kid. But I wonder why you swapped out the matched bolt carrier for an Alby....
I swapped the bolt carrier just because. To see what it would look like. Others have done the barrel/chop/brake thing. But the Alby bolt carrier is subtle. With the 5 round mag, the combination is very subtle. Looks boss though. SI? Remember, those Condor friendly boolits are like, 5 bucks a round. I haven't shot any of those, but I won't be plinking the gong with them. I'm into this guy for about $375. I still have a Tech site or Williams peep to try on it. But I'm thinking the Tech sites aren't going to cut it based on having them on my Para, and I like peeps. PAX

Old 04-03-2016, 7:26 AM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't worry about jacking up an old sks. I am eyeing one of the sporterized Gibbs 1903 springfields they're selling with the shortened barrels.
Old 04-03-2016, 7:35 AM
Mostly Harmless
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have five or six Norincos I bought for $150 each just for Bubbifying.

I never, ever, wanted to buy a Choate stock, but damn, I like the looks of that Dragunov. That Alby carrier looks elegant, too.

Biggest problem with the SKS is the sights. I bought some Tech Sights, but never installed them. I'd like to see more options.

Scout scopes look silly, but they work:

Still, I prefer a solution that doesn't look so borkly.
Getting called a DOJ shill has become a rite of passage around here. I've certainly been called that more than once - I've even seen Kes get called that. I haven't seen Red-O get called that yet, which is very suspicious to me, and means he's probably a DOJ shill.
Old 04-03-2016, 7:37 AM
In Memoriam

Bad ***...wish it had a folding stock
Mikey likes it

ESCAPE IF YOU CAN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

"The Second Amendment ex-tends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding." - The United States Supreme Court -
Old 04-03-2016, 7:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Nice project OP.

I recently got hold of a Chinese "Paratrooper" that I am setting up as a Liberty Training Rifle.
Old 04-03-2016, 7:50 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about jacking up an old sks.
I actually feel better that I rescued that Romanian from you.

Still alive, still fight.

Antelope Valley grown, now State of Jefferson transplant.
Old 04-03-2016, 8:45 AM

Is the 5 rounder fixed, an sks with detachable magazine is illegal in CA.
Old 04-03-2016, 8:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
I have five or six Norincos I bought for $150 each just for Bubbifying.
I never, ever, wanted to buy a Choate stock, but damn, I like the looks of that Dragunov. That Alby carrier looks elegant, too.
Biggest problem with the SKS is the sights. I bought some Tech Sights, but never installed them. I'd like to see more options.
Scout scopes look silly, but they work:

Still, I prefer a solution that doesn't look so borkly.
I had the action in an ATI Monty, aside from it weighing a ton, the wrist was all wrong. I'm keeping my good eye open for a Ramline Monte Carlo.
The next one in transit is #s matching Sino too. It's been drilled and tapped on the receiver already, so it's gonna get the bayo lug chopped, scoped and become bipedal. I won't lose any sleep on that either. PAX

Old 04-03-2016, 8:59 AM

OK, i see a practical appeal of it - but why 5 round mag? If there is no legal requirement to do so, why would you willingly decrease the mag capacity by half?

Excerpt from a speech delivered in 1933, by Major General Smedley Butler, USMC.

PM me your requests for Russian AK optics - Obzor, Kashtan, Rakurs, POSP, etc.

Buy your BNIB Russian AK Optics here!
Old 04-03-2016, 9:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8MERC124 View Post
It looks like a very handy rifle! Ilike the way that brake and fsb or positioned together. Now where can I locate that fsb? Prince 50 its called? I may want to cut shorter and use a fsb like that. Right now I left enough to reuse the old one. Original fsb needs 0.551" - 0.550"
Here you go. PAX

http://www.bulletbutton.com/firearm-accessories/

Old 04-03-2016, 9:37 AM

Maybe...

https://ferrebeekeeper.wordpress.com...ying-bagpipes/

Quote:
Jon
Old 04-03-2016, 9:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spb_la View Post
OK, i see a practical appeal of it - but why 5 round mag? If there is no legal requirement to do so, why would you willingly decrease the mag capacity by half?
Why not, do you hunt? It's not my onliest SKS. It was purpose built. My Savage 99 only holds 5, my .270 710 only 3. My .22-250 is a single shot
The unleaded boolits cost like 3-5 bucks a round. It was made for those, not slinging cheap milsurp fmj. It literally takes about a minute to put the matching numbered mag back, for conversion to SHTF, but I have these for that. Here's an old picture of a few shooters for when it goes south. Currently, I have few more, with a couple in T6s. PAX

Old 04-03-2016, 9:56 AM
Mostly Harmless
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1 View Post
I had the action in an ATI Monty, aside from it weighing a ton, the wrist was all wrong. I'm keeping my good eye open for a Ramline Monte Carlo.
My favorite Monte Carlo style stock for the SKS is the Butler Creek. It's a much higher quality piece than the ATI or Choate stuff.
Getting called a DOJ shill has become a rite of passage around here. I've certainly been called that more than once - I've even seen Kes get called that. I haven't seen Red-O get called that yet, which is very suspicious to me, and means he's probably a DOJ shill.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
My favorite Monte Carlo style stock for the SKS is the Butler Creek. It's a much higher quality piece than the ATI or Choate stuff.
I've heard good things about them too, but they are hard to locate. I'd like to handle one. PAX

Old 04-03-2016, 12:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Please no......
Old 04-03-2016, 7:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
Nice project OP.
I recently got hold of a Chinese "Paratrooper" that I am setting up as a Liberty Training Rifle.
This little jewel, was my first Paratrooper as I got it. I've since found a bayo and cleaning rod. It's a short lug and I don't have a wood stock for one. Since the "Paratrooper" is a commercial slight of hand, it doesn't bother me the way it is. When I first handled it I thought "They should've made these like this from the git-go", and was the inspiration for the current build efforts. If this is your first Para, I'll bet it becomes your favorite flavor of the day for some time

For some reason, I've managed to acquired a few rifles that had painted stocks, some not done so well, so I re-did them, matt crinkle black, or underbody sealer (which ends up similar but takes longer to cure).
An all matching numbered Sinobanian, that some previous user didn't like "The been there done that " look, painted over the matching # stock. Inadvertently to my benefit, much to the chagrin of the spousal unit.

An as issued all matching Russian the way I got it. The stock is numbered to the metal. If I find a laminate I might swap it out, or not. I call it "The Green Hornet", and it has actually grown on me. PAX

Old 04-04-2016, 8:42 PM

My sino Soviet is fun as hell to shoot. This thread makes me want to pick another sks up, maybe a Tula...

Ernest Hemingway
Old 04-04-2016, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

Would look better with the bayonet still on it.

You also need a jungle stock in your collection.

Finnish M27 - SKS matching for sale
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1483491

Ruger Mk lll 22/45 , Uberti SAA .357 , Rossi .357 for sale
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1483671
Old 04-05-2016, 9:46 AM
Veteran Member

Some nice "Bubba rifles' people.
I was expecting something a lot worse. I'm disappointed now.

Somehow I was thinking of hack saw taken to the iron sights (sawn off) and a Walley World Tasco air rifle scope duct taped to the receiver, creating an Appalachian sniper rifle.
Hole drilled through the bayonet and 10" bolt inserted through it for a folding bi-pod.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 04-05-2016, 10:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spb_la View Post
Slimmer, trimmer and lighter.
If you don't NEED more than 5 rounds, why carry the extra weight and bulk?

Make some 5 round stripper clips and you can shove 5 more rounds in faster than changing mags on a detatchable magazine gun.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC

Last edited by ar15barrels; 04-05-2016 at 10:24 AM..
Old 04-05-2016, 10:24 AM

Nice job! Hey, it's not like these things are rare. There are several million floating around 'out there' some where. I think you improved the SKS significantly.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Requiro Pax Sed Praeparo Nam Bellum
Old 04-05-2016, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post

Make some 5 round stripper clips and you can shove 5 more rounds in faster than changing mags on a detatchable magazine gun.

Good idea!
Old 04-05-2016, 10:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

To finish this purpose built pig slayer I suggest killing said pig and letting the blood pool next to the carcass.

As you are field dressing the animal, place rifle in said pool making sure bolt and top cover are at least partially coated in blood.

After animal is successfully field dressed, remove rifle from blood pool taking care NOT to wipe any of the blood from the rifle.

Once home, set rifle aside in a safe location for 1 to 2 weeks.

After two weeks clean rifle to reveal genuine blood pitting on an SKS
Old 04-05-2016, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
I'll definitely be making a couple of those 5 rounders. Like I said, it's going to be using Condor friendly boolit$, if it passes the range muster with leaded ammo. The thought of having to $ight in with the monolithic round$, make$ me flinch. I want to make $ure it's dialed in when I make the change over.

I've since put a Williams peep on. The sight picture is perfect, even if the sight radius is shorter. Traditionally, a Para length SKS has better accuracy out to 100 yards than the stock barrel, which is where this creature will dwell. I still need to bore sight, then she's ready for the range.

The thing snaps right up, nice balance, but still a little nose heavy, which should be a positive with a follow up shot when necessary. The brake should help there as well. Couple final tweaks, some lipstick and rouge, and she's ready for a date.

I went with this whole profile to be out of the box some what. It is different than most SKS mods for sure. We've got a couple years before the state wide lead ammo band, so I think I'll take it deer hunting in D5 this year and give it some field trials. Might be a turd?

Thank for the feedback fellas, PAX

Last edited by echo1; 04-05-2016 at 3:37 PM..
Old 04-05-2016, 12:03 PM

make sure it's 922(r) compliant

http://jobson.us/922r/

Last edited by Strongisland; 04-05-2016 at 12:06 PM..
Old 04-05-2016, 4:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongisland View Post
make sure it's 922(r) compliant

http://jobson.us/922r/
I have enough 922r parts for 3 rifles. When I modify one, I borrow the compliance parts and return another to stock. That's why some of my picts appear to show the same gun a little different more than once. It's only mismatched Chinese, or precut, or tapped, that get the heavy hand, and only if they came to me that way. I won't butcher something complete and matching, even if the stock is painted. It's against my religion. PAX

Last edited by echo1; 05-09-2016 at 9:25 AM..