Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 03-20-2016, 3:39 PM

Default SoCal Skeet Clinic Review, 3-20-16

As usual, it was a beautiful day in SoCal to spend at the range.
For todays clinic there were 5 shooters, 1 veteran and 4 newbies.
The day started out with the usual safety, stance and mounting instruction...Then off to station 1. With a little more instruction, the newbies were hitting the targets well, so on to station 2...At this point everyone was getting into the swing of things, with one minor exception, one shooter was very left eye dominant, so Richard had him shoot left handed...BOOM, he started hitting targets much harder and more consistently. After a few more targets, it was time for a short break.
After a short breather it was time to get going again. We went through a few more stations, then it was time for some doubles. The first time there was some doubleitis, but then everyone settled down and the clays were breaking.
It was a good day for all, everyone learned something today. I hope to see everyone who attended today out there soon hammering some clays.

Thank you Richard for taking your time to do these clinics.
We missed Don today, hope all is well...

See ya soon...

My page...Give me some feedback.
Old 03-21-2016, 8:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post
The day started out with the usual safety, stance and mounting instruction...Then off to station 1. With a little more instruction, the newbies were hitting the targets well, so on to station 2...At this point everyone was getting into the swing of things, with one minor exception, one shooter was very left eye dominant, so Richard had him shoot left handed...BOOM, he started hitting targets much harder and more consistently. After a few more targets, it was time for a short break.
After a short breather it was time to get going again. We went through a few more stations, then it was time for some doubles. The first time there was some doubleitis, but then everyone settled down and the clays were breaking.
It was a good day for all, everyone learned something today. I hope to see everyone who attended today out there soon hammering some clays.

See ya soon...
I would echo the above. It was a great morning, lots of great instruction, shooting and fun.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:17 PM

That was me! :-) it was fun and learned a lot from Captain Dick! I may go another round next month time permitting.
Old 03-22-2016, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvtspanker View Post
That was me! :-) it was fun and learned a lot from Captain Dick! I may go another round next month time permitting.
Do go to another clinic, you will pick up more and retain more. You did very well after switching to the left side, your eyes favor shooting that way.

Perhaps I'll go to another next month as well, but I won't shoot the .410...Maybe I'll use a 28ga...

Old 03-22-2016, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Do go to another clinic, you will pick up more and retain more. You did very well after switching to the left side, your eyes favor shooting that way.

Perhaps I'll go to another next month as well, but I won't shoot the .410...Maybe I'll use a 28ga...
Did you hit max frustration with the 410?
Old 03-23-2016, 12:48 AM
Banned

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

What happened to Don? He is okay I hope. Maybe a tad under the weather?

I like him.
Old 03-23-2016, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefeeder View Post
Did you hit max frustration with the 410?
Not at the clinic, but I shot a few rounds after and it went downhill fast, couldn't hit high 2 to save my life
It wasn't the gun, it was me not pulling the trigger when I should.

Old 03-23-2016, 9:09 AM

Quote:
Not at the clinic, but I shot a few rounds after and it went downhill fast, couldn't hit high 2 to save my life
It wasn't the gun, it was me not pulling the trigger when I should.
What chokes were you using Chuck?

The greybeards I shoot skeet with tighten them up. Mod/Mod seems to be popular with them. According to them blown pattern causes a lot of misses not because of shot placement, but due to lack of density, and more than a couple of BBs need to hit the target. Pat Clark was dusting them hard with his Merkel .410 choked mod/full, predominantly with the the mod.

MidLife - "Just look at the bird. And swing smoothly to the shot. "

CaptainDick - " Faster! Faster! Faster! Don't think!
Old 03-23-2016, 10:18 AM

Terry, the chokes are .007" which would be a tight Skeet...

Old 03-23-2016, 8:36 PM

Anyone interested on going on Sunday, 3/27 for a few rounds?
Old 03-23-2016, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles007 View Post
Anyone interested on going on Sunday, 3/27 for a few rounds?
That might be a tough day to get a field as there will be many people there shooting a few rounds...The Sansei Skeet shoot is that day.

Old 03-23-2016, 9:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Terry, the chokes are .007" which would be a tight Skeet...
I have to agree with the tighter choke. With 410 finding its "good pattern" really hepls....testing on a patterning board is time well spent.

I was get patterns that were total ___ , It took a lot of time testing before the scores jumped and stayed consistant with my other gauges
Old 03-23-2016, 9:25 PM

Quote:
That might be a tough day to get a field as there will be many people there shooting a few rounds...The Sansei Skeet shoot is that day.
I think I will be there too. Being Easter Sunday makes it tough to commit though.

Old 03-23-2016, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefeeder View Post
I have to agree with the tighter choke. With 410 finding its "good pattern" really hepls....testing on a patterning board is time well spent.

I was get patterns that were total ___ , It took a lot of time testing before the scores jumped and stayed consistant with my other gauges
While I do agree with this, I will give some additional info.
The gun and tube set was purchased used. I had questions about some things that I asked on another forum. I was contacted via PM's on that forum by someone who knew where I bought it (without me ever mentioning it) and knew and shot with the prior owner. It seems the prior owner was a serious Skeet shooter, and put a lot of time in getting everything right. He had seen many 100 straights shot with the gun and 410 was his favorite.
Given this, I don't think I have an equipment problem. As I said, I just didn't pull the trigger when I needed to...It was all on me, I would have missed with a 10ga. It's what I get for not shooting Skeet for 3 months. One day I'll put them on a pattern board, but I doubt I'll find an issue...

Old 03-23-2016, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
I think I will be there too. Being Easter Sunday makes it tough to commit though.
I don't think I can make it, Easter and maybe shopping for a new car...2 months in a row
Are you up for the Bonanza Blast @ Moore-N-Moore on the 3rd?
I'll be there, so will Dave.

Old 03-23-2016, 9:37 PM

Quote:

See ya soon...
My wife and I were there and we had a blast. If anyone is on the fence, I'd recommend going as soon as you can. We improved a ton in a short time and have some solid fundamentals to practice and improve on.
Captain Dick was able to get everyone on the birds quickly and knew exactly what to correct to get us hits.

We will be back soon and as always we met some great Calgunners!
Old 03-24-2016, 9:05 AM

A few new clinic dates are posted - take advantage of these while the weather is PERFECT for shooting!
Old 03-24-2016, 11:53 PM

Quote:
I don't think I can make it, Easter and maybe shopping for a new car...2 months in a row
Are you up for the Bonanza Blast @ Moore-N-Moore on the 3rd?
I'll be there, so will Dave.
Yes, I could make the Bonanza Blast on the 3rd. I will be there early then.

Old 03-25-2016, 2:04 AM
C3 Contributor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Easter Sunday is also the Sansei shoot. There are openings still. It's a good way to get in 3 rounds.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:28 AM

FWIW, Sansei will probably be done by 3-ish, so if you want to sneak in afterwards when the fields clear out, it may still be decent weather for shooting.