Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 08-21-2008, 8:59 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Default Let's make a PPT application that FFLs have to take. An AW Flowchartesk project.

Ok, this thread has me inspired.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...=116164&page=2

There is obviously a problem of FFL dealers not processing PPTs as they should. Further these FFLs also try to charge more than they are legally required. The cap is clearly set at $35. PERIOD.

So why don't the members of Calguns make a PPT application that clearly shows what a dealer can charge and when a dealer must perform a PPT.

The rationale behind this is that since the citizens of this state are required to conduct a PPT through a dealer, we shouldn't just accept that some dealers do the PPT correct and we should only deal with those dealers. You should not have to drive an extra 2 hours or even 10 minutes to deal with a friendly PPT dealer. You should receive a service that dealers are required to perform.

So here is what we need in our application.

#1: The Penal Code and CCR section dealing with PPTs.

Quote:
PC 12072(d) - Where neither party to the transaction holds a dealer's license issued pursuant to Section 12071, the parties to the transaction shall complete the sale, loan, or transfer of that firearm through a licensed firearms dealer pursuant to Section 12082.
Quote:
12082. (a) A person shall complete any sale, loan, or transfer of a firearm through a person licensed pursuant to Section 12071 in accordance with this section in order to comply with subdivision (d) of Section 12072. The seller or transferor or the person loaning the firearm shall deliver the firearm to the dealer who shall retain possession of that firearm. The dealer shall then deliver the firearm to the purchaser or transferee or the person being loaned the firearm, if it is not prohibited, in accordance with subdivision (c) of Section 12072. If the dealer cannot legally deliver the firearm to the purchaser or transferee or the person being loaned the firearm, the dealer shall forthwith, without waiting for the conclusion of the waiting period described in Sections 12071 and 12072, return the firearm to the transferor or seller or the person loaning the firearm. The dealer shall not return the firearm to the seller or transferor or the person loaning the firearm when to do so would constitute a violation of subdivision (a) of Section 12072. If the dealer cannot legally return the firearm to the transferor or seller or the person loaning the firearm, then the dealer shall forthwith deliver the firearm to the sheriff of the county or the chief of police or other head of a municipal police department of any city or city and county who shall then dispose of the firearm in the manner provided by Sections 12028 and 12032. The purchaser or transferee or person being loaned the firearm may be required by the dealer to pay a fee not to exceed ten dollars ($10) per firearm, and no other fee may be charged by the dealer for a sale, loan, or transfer of a firearm conducted pursuant to this section, except for the applicable fee that the Department of Justice may charge pursuant to Section 12076. Nothing in these provisions shall prevent a dealer from charging a smaller fee. The fee that the department may charge is the fee that would be applicable pursuant to Section 12076, if the dealer was selling, transferring, or delivering a firearm to a purchaser or transferee or a person being loaned a firearm, without any other parties being involved in the transaction.
(b) The Attorney General shall adopt regulations under this section to do all of the following:
(1) Allow the seller or transferor or the person loaning the firearm, and the purchaser or transferee or the person being loaned the firearm, to complete a sale, loan, or transfer through a dealer, and to allow those persons and the dealer to comply with the requirements of this section and Sections 12071, 12072, 12076, and 12077 and to preserve the confidentiality of those records.
(2) Where a personal handgun importer is selling or transferring a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person to comply with clause (ii) of subparagraph (A) of paragraph (2) of subdivision (f) of Section 12072, to allow a personal handgun importer's ownership of the pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person being sold or transferred to be recorded in a manner that if the firearm is returned to that personal handgun importer because the sale or transfer cannot be completed, the Department of Justice will have sufficient information about that personal handgun importer so that a record of his or her ownership can be maintained in the registry provided by subdivision (c) of Section 11106.
(3) Ensure that the register or record of electronic transfer shall state the name and address of the seller or transferor of the firearm or the person loaning the firearm and whether or not the person is a personal handgun importer in addition to any other information required by Section 12077.
(c) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a dealer who does not sell, transfer, or keep an inventory of handguns is not required to process private party transfers of handguns.
(d) A violation of this section by a dealer is a misdemeanor.
In regards to 12082(b) you have CCR 4033.

Quote:
§ 4033. Criteria for Processing Section 12082 Transactions.

(a) All dealers shall process a section 12082 transaction upon the request of the transferor. All such requests shall:

(1) Be in writing and contain all of the terms of the transaction, and

(2) Be signed by the transferor and the transferee.

(b) Except as otherwise provided in Penal Code section 12082, a dealer shall process a section 12082 transaction in the same manner as if it were a dealer retail sale.

Note: Authority cited: Section 12082, Penal Code. Reference: Section 12071, 12072, 12073, 12076 and 12077, Penal Code.
#2: The only way FFLs can balk on this is if the transferor does not make the written request that contains all terms of the transaction. We need to collectively come up with what "all terms of the transaction" includes and insert them in our paper. We also need to have a signature section for both the buyer and seller.

#3: I would like include the DOJs phone number on this form and I want Calgunners to call the DOJ at the gun shop if the gun shop refuses to do a PPT.

So here is what I am seeing.

Page 1: The relevant code with prices and requirement to process on written request highlight or bolded.

Page 2: An actual application style format where anyone could fill out the appropriate boxes and hand it over to an FFL so they are required to process the PPT. Also on this page something with teeth to help persuade dealers that they will be reported to the DOJ if they fail to process the request.

We might even be so bold as to have me use my contacts in the DOJ and find out if someone there actually cares about this. We might be able to use their direct line and actually use the DOJ support for this.

Some people might not like that we are going to hold FFL's feet to the fire on this. Personally, I think it is unacceptable that you have to do a PPT and many dealers put up so many obstacles in completing one. Dealers know they are going to have to do PPTs when they sign up to get their FFL. They should stop shirking their responsibility and I don't care the reasons they complain about it.

So lets do this. Lets make something along the lines of the AW Chart that we can publish and circulate and start to make a difference in this state.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation

Last edited by tenpercentfirearms; 08-21-2008 at 10:45 PM..
Old 08-21-2008, 9:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Im waiting for someone else to say it.
Old 08-21-2008, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavTrooper View Post
Im waiting for someone else to say it.
OK Cav, I'll say it... Wes, there seems to be something wrong with this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post
The cap is clearly set at $45. PERIOD.
It was a long post and a lot of information gathering, so we'll just laugh with you

Edited to add: This is a great idea and I can't wait for the look on the face of the next dealer with misinformation about PPT's.
Old 08-21-2008, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Ok,

There is obviously a problem of FFL dealers not processing PPTs as they should. Further these FFLs also try to charge more than they are legally required. The cap is clearly set at $45. PERIOD.
$25 for the DOJ documentation fee on a hand gun and $10 for the FFL = $35

$45?

- Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Volunteer LDW
Old 08-21-2008, 9:42 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenterX View Post

$45?
New math.

Hmm... if I knew how the hell to operate this computer for anything more than forums and video games, I'd give it a go!

"My Safety?" *click* "There, that was my safety"
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gifNRA Member
Old 08-21-2008, 10:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I think this is a good idea. I've been enraged by seeing how Rettings (not just in this thread, but what I've seen when in the shop) treats people for PPTs.

Relevant items that (potentially) should be on the request form:

1.) Names of parties involved (buyer/seller)
2.) addresses/contact info of parties involved
3.) Make, model, barrel length, finish and SN of gun
4.) price paid
5.) Signatures
6.) date

Anything that should be added? Removed?

I think the firearm details are important as they're a part of the DROS. I can't remember if there's additional info recorded.

Google Map of OLL Dealers

List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenterX View Post

$45?
He's a Bruin...what do you expect?

do I hear football around the corner

-bb

NRA Life Endowment Member - CRPA Member

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin, 1759
Old 08-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I was watching soccer and was thinking, "Should I go back and edit this?" No, screw it. DOH!

Well it is fixed now. Just seeing if you guys were paying attention. Plus I had to add a bunch of products to the website that I have been slacking on.

Leave me alone, I am a busy man.

All your base are belong to us.

Two weeks.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 08-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclaplinker View Post
I think this is a good idea. I've been enraged by seeing how Rettings (not just in this thread, but what I've seen when in the shop) treats people for PPTs.

Relevant items that (potentially) should be on the request form:

1.) Names of parties involved (buyer/seller)
2.) addresses/contact info of parties involved
3.) Make, model, barrel length, finish and SN of gun
4.) price paid
5.) Signatures
6.) date

Anything that should be added? Removed?

I think the firearm details are important as they're a part of the DROS. I can't remember if there's additional info recorded.
I think, because they're already part of the DROS, firearms details and addresses are not needed on the extra form. The CCR does require the signatures, so a printed name to go with that makes sense.

How about this for a first draft?
Attached Files
File Type: doc California Private Party Transfer.doc (37.5 KB, 231 views)

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
I think, because they're already part of the DROS, firearms details and addresses are not needed on the extra form. The CCR does require the signatures, so a printed name to go with that makes sense.

Nice 1st draft.

The reason for including the firearm details is to eliminate any question of having sufficient "transaction details" - which could include all of the pertinent details regarding the firearm to be transferred (i.e., anything on the DROS) and method of payment.

List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.
Old 08-22-2008, 2:51 AM

Seems all a bit redundant when you could just print out the DOJ's readily available worksheet which includes the requisite info, fill it out and hand it to your dealer saying we want to PPT this ...

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/dros.pdf

Oh well, some kids need a canvas for their crayons.
Old 08-22-2008, 5:17 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenst65 View Post
Seems all a bit redundant when you could just print out the DOJ's readily available worksheet which includes the requisite info, fill it out and hand it to your dealer saying we want to PPT this ...

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/dros.pdf

Oh well, some kids need a canvas for their crayons.
I already responded to this in the other thread, so here is a cut and paste.

First the only purpose of a dealer's worksheet is to have DROS information when you are at a guns how or your computer goes down and you can't submit the information while the customer(s) are there with you. You fill out the DROS worksheet only if you have to and never if you don't.

A dealer's worksheet is about the worst thing you could hand a gun dealer if you want to force them to run your PPT. #1: it does not even educate the FFL that they must perform a PPT nor what the maximum fee they may charge is. #2: it does not contain all terms of the transaction. #3: the DROS worksheet is pointless if you run the DROS through electronically. #4: I as a dealer would simply throw it away and tell you as I laugh, "Sorry, try again, this isn't a form that applies and you obviously don't know what you are talking about, no PPT for you today. Now get lost."

Not to mention even if I did accept it or if a dealer wanted to use a DROS worksheet, it is just one more piece of paper to add to my stack of papers. No thanks. I give away free gun locks just to avoid having to have a safe affidavit hanging around.

Seriously, if you want to get laughed out of a gun shop, hand them a DROS worksheet period. Most dealers out there should know exactly what the form is and they are going to not want to touch it because it is one more piece of paperwork that is absolutely unecessary when DROS is submitted electronically. Handing this to a dealer pretty much tells them you definitely don't know what you are talking about and will not convince them they should have to do your PPT.

Again, the idea of this project is to force dealers who are reluctant to run your PPT on your demand. These dealers are charging more than they are supposed to and they are refusing PPTs during certain times of the day. The law is clear that they must perform them on written request and the fee is never to exceed $35. However, they think they know the law and they are going to be stubborn. You are going to have to have clear proof of your case right then and there on the spot and not only that, you must comply with the law by having a written request with all terms of the transaction.

The DROS worksheet is not the answer and not by a long shot. Some people think crayons are going to solve this. We need a Mona Lisa or you will be told to go back to the Romper Room.

Last edited by tenpercentfirearms; 08-22-2008 at 5:19 AM..
Old 08-22-2008, 5:34 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:

A good start. I think it is important we keep all parts of the PC and CCR in there instead of editing some of it out. I like the part where it says the AG can make regulations and then we show the regulations.

We should probably have a few more details in there like which guns and maybe even selling price. The question is, if we include selling price, will the stupid dealer try to say they need to collect sales tax and will we need to reference tax code to make sure they can't do that too?

To help with the guns part and for the rest of you who like to buy more than one gun at a time, here is the info we need with maybe just a selling price column added in.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Section D.doc (24.5 KB, 87 views)

Old 08-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

I am persuaded about the firearms info - the Part D stuff.

The couple of PPTs I've done, the dealer didn't even want to know the price - I think that needs some more discussion. One could add a "$______________" after or under the CASH option.

There's certainly room for the whole PC section - I envision that as the back of the form, if printed double sided - but all the stuff about returning a gun if the background check fails on the transferee is just clutter - the dealer already knows that. But putting back the indication of (b), for regulations, and all of (c) and (d) seems to make sense. Shoves it all to a whole page, though. My old eyes just don't like 'fine print', but the font could be smaller.

Draft 2
Attached Files
File Type: doc California Private Party Transfer.doc (51.0 KB, 89 views)

the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

Is the price really relevant, anyway, or even the "Transaction Type" and "Terms" fields? The FFL is processing a transfer of ownership, but a transfer doesn't necessarily need to be a sale or trade of like value. One person could simply be giving the firearm(s) to the other person as a gift. Is there anywhere in the DROS or 4473 where the FFL needs to enter the nature of the transfer and/or the value in trade?
Old 08-22-2008, 10:59 AM

Price is not an issue. This is a transfer of ownership, not a sale.

As goofy as they can be sometimes with some of their stuff, I really do like the additional form Turners puts out with their PPT's. Includes a lot of information on the gun, any included accessories, and rating of condition.

Finish, barrel length, country of origin, etc.

Good reference paperwork to have when you pick it up.

كافر - Infidel

NRA PATRON MEMBER

Last edited by gunsnrovers; 08-22-2008 at 11:05 AM..
Old 08-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Banned

If a dealer blatantly commits a misdemeanor by refusing a PPT cant you call the police over to issue a citation? Police do enforce the PC/CCR don't they, isn't that pretty much their entire job?
Old 08-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383green View Post
Is the price really relevant, anyway, or even the "Transaction Type" and "Terms" fields? The FFL is processing a transfer of ownership, but a transfer doesn't necessarily need to be a sale or trade of like value. One person could simply be giving the firearm(s) to the other person as a gift. Is there anywhere in the DROS or 4473 where the FFL needs to enter the nature of the transfer and/or the value in trade?
If you go back to the first post in the thread, the included CCR says a PPT doc must
Quote:
(1) Be in writing and contain all of the terms of the transaction, and
We're still working out what 'all the terms' is supposed to include, but remember this is IN ADDITION to the DROS and 4473, to clarify a PPT transaction so a dealer knows what to do.

I agree, a gift is also possible. I'm of the opinion that sale/trade/gift is a necessary 'term' in this context.

We could also get a transaction like
"Librarian has a Raven, a Lorcin, and a Davis, all in .25, and he is trading them and a Starbuck's Vente Latte for 383green's Wilson Combat .45" (I wish ) or
"Librarian has a Raven, a Lorcin, and a Davis, all in .25, and he is trading them all to 383green for a dozen fresh quail eggs and a sixpack of Anchor Porter" (probably closer to the value).

I suppose one could use the old real estate dodge, "for one dollar and other valuable consideration", though I think that's frowned upon these days.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:50 PM

How about a web application that ANYONE can get to? I've been wanting to do an interactive cgi of the AW flowchart for install on calguns. Interested?
Old 08-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
If you go back to the first post in the thread, the included CCR says a PPT doc must [...]
My bad. DURR!

Quote:
I agree, a gift is also possible. I'm of the opinion that sale/trade/gift is a necessary 'term' in this context.
Yes, I agree.

Quote:
"Librarian has a Raven, a Lorcin, and a Davis, all in .25, and he is trading them and a Starbuck's Vente Latte for 383green's Wilson Combat .45"
How did you know that I have a Starbucks habit like a monkey on my back, and drink a danged venti latte every danged day?!
Old 08-22-2008, 1:07 PM
In Memoriam

After you have this "ppt application" and present it to the FFL, whats to stop him from saying, "sorry, no PPT's today or until I have enough room in my safe to accommodate them". ie, what DOJ bust did to the Milpitas buy.

Assuming he really didn't want to do them he has a legal out with this excuse. Can also make it sound as if DOJ is stopping him from doing them.

If not, please explain why?
Old 08-22-2008, 1:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehaas View Post
How about a web application that ANYONE can get to? I've been wanting to do an interactive cgi of the AW flowchart for install on calguns. Interested?
I think it's an interesting idea, if outside my skill set.

I was wondering how we could be flexible in producing something like me trading three guns to you for two different guns; that looks like it needs 5 distinct firearm description blocks with identification of which gun goes to which party.

It'd also cost $50 for the PPT (5 guns @$10 each) and I have no idea how one would DROS such a transaction.

Old 08-22-2008, 1:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383green View Post
My bad. DURR!
How did you know that I have a Starbucks habit like a monkey on my back, and drink a danged venti latte every danged day?!
You mean I could keep the Lorcin?

Old 08-22-2008, 1:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I was wondering how we could be flexible in producing something like me trading three guns to you for two different guns; that looks like it needs 5 distinct firearm description blocks with identification of which gun goes to which party.

It'd also cost $50 for the PPT (5 guns @$10 each) and I have no idea how one would DROS such a transaction.
Wouldn't there need to be a separate DROS for each of the two parties, since both are receiving guns? I'd think that would make the total cost $100 ($25 + $25 + 5x$10).
Old 08-22-2008, 1:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You mean I could keep the Lorcin?
I had to look up the Lorcin. Yeah, I think I'd rather have the latte!
Old 08-22-2008, 1:32 PM
Veteran Member

Add something about redacting personal information in copies of requested paperwork given to buyers and sellers at transaction time... 12076(c)(5) PC.
Old 08-22-2008, 2:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm of the opinion the "terms" is unlikely to be an issue.

I think the BEST way to handle it would be to leave your check boxes as they are, and include an "additional info" section with lines, so if the dealer wants prices, etc, it can be added later. I think this is a case where less is really more. 99% aren't going to care the price (even the evil dealers).

Quote:
We're still working out what 'all the terms' is supposed to include, but remember this is IN ADDITION to the DROS and 4473, to clarify a PPT transaction so a dealer knows what to do.

"Librarian has a Raven, a Lorcin, and a Davis, all in .25, and he is trading them and a Starbuck's Vente Latte for 383green's Wilson Combat .45" (I wish ) or
"Librarian has a Raven, a Lorcin, and a Davis, all in .25, and he is trading them all to 383green for a dozen fresh quail eggs and a sixpack of Anchor Porter" (probably closer to the value).

I suppose one could use the old real estate dodge, "for one dollar and other valuable consideration", though I think that's frowned upon these days.

Old 08-22-2008, 2:15 PM

Quote:
At this link, I've thrown together the first few steps of what I meant...

http://calnra.com/cgi-bin/flowchart.cgi

Remember, it's only done a few questions deep. Should I continue? (When done, it should be easy to install on calguns.)
Old 08-22-2008, 5:18 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk1 View Post
After you have this "ppt application" and present it to the FFL, whats to stop him from saying, "sorry, no PPT's today or until I have enough room in my safe to accommodate them". ie, what DOJ bust did to the Milpitas buy.

Assuming he really didn't want to do them he has a legal out with this excuse. Can also make it sound as if DOJ is stopping him from doing them.

If not, please explain why?
First, if they have guns on the wall, in display cases, or anywhere else not locked up because the building is secure, then they are lying. Second, the only people that usually have a small location where safe space is an issue aren't the ones denying PPTs to begin with. This is more of an effort for brick and mortar shops that are screwing us around.

So I would say this will be a non issue. Simply ask them if they lock the 100s of guns up that are behind the counter every night. When they say no, then remind them they do not need safe space and must process your PPT or you will be notifying the DOJ and their license can be revoked. If they say yes, tell them you think they are lying and you are reporting their misdemeanor to the Department of Justice.

Quote:
At this link, I've thrown together the first few steps of what I meant...

http://calnra.com/cgi-bin/flowchart.cgi

Remember, it's only done a few questions deep. Should I continue? (When done, it should be easy to install on calguns.)
Mike, for the AW chart, that is a good idea. For the PPT thing, probably not. We need a form that customers can take into a gun shop with them as evidence that the dealer must process the PPT.

Old 08-22-2008, 6:30 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
First, if they have guns on the wall, in display cases, or anywhere else not locked up because the building is secure, then they are lying. Second, the only people that usually have a small location where safe space is an issue aren't the ones denying PPTs to begin with. This is more of an effort for brick and mortar shops that are screwing us around.

So I would say this will be a non issue. Simply ask them if they lock the 100s of guns up that are behind the counter every night. When they say no, then remind them they do not need safe space and must process your PPT or you will be notifying the DOJ and their license can be revoked. If they say yes, tell them you think they are lying and you are reporting their misdemeanor to the Department of Justice.
You may call it a non-issue but it can and will be an excuse they'll use to deny doing them and get away with it. You and the buyers application will mean squat if they say they do not have the space. Zero you can do about and zero DOJ can do about it.
As for asking him anything, he's not going to stand around and answer questions. Keep in mind they are hell bent on not doing them.
As for the DOJ, I don't think they really care if a FFL will not process a PPT. It won't be one their priorities to confirm a complaint...
Old 08-22-2008, 7:45 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk1 View Post
You may call it a non-issue but it can and will be an excuse they'll use to deny doing them and get away with it. You and the buyers application will mean squat if they say they do not have the space. Zero you can do about and zero DOJ can do about it.
As for asking him anything, he's not going to stand around and answer questions. Keep in mind they are hell bent on not doing them.
As for the DOJ, I don't think they really care if a FFL will not process a PPT. It won't be one their priorities to confirm a complaint...
How can any retail store that uses a secure location claim they don't have space? The safe excuse will only work at shops or kitchen table operation who lock up their inventory every day. I would bet good money the little guy is not denying a PPT.

And you are assuming the DOJ doesn't care. What happens when consumers are armed with the truth and start holding FFLs accountable? What if the DOJ does care and does investigate, but no one ever calls?

We will see.

Old 08-22-2008, 7:57 PM

Maybe I’m slow, but why would you want to force someone who obviously does not want to do business with you to do so? If someone is a jerk in a store I leave and go to another store… example: I went to Sportsmens Supply in Campbell to ask about getting a lower transferred there, the guy says they refuse to do them. Okay, now why would I want to push the issue? The guy was not a jerk and actually suggested Gun Exchange may do the transaction and told me he just did not feel comfortable with AR types…now I saw a kel-tek for sale there but whatever.

Please Educate a NooB
Old 08-22-2008, 8:03 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amante View Post
Maybe I’m slow, but why would you want to force someone who obviously does not want to do business with you to do so? If someone is a jerk in a store I leave and go to another store… example: I went to Sportsmens Supply in Campbell to ask about getting a lower transferred there, the guy says they refuse to do them. Okay, now why would I want to push the issue? The guy was not a jerk and actually suggested Gun Exchange may do the transaction and told me he just did not feel comfortable with AR types…now I saw a kel-tek for sale there but whatever.

Please Educate a NooB
Did you ask about a PPT or a transfer? A dealer has no requirement to do a transfer. A transfer being you ordering an OLL from gunbroker and wanting the dealer to do the background check on it. A dealer has a requirement to do a PPT. You are required to do a PPT if you are doing a face to face transaction.

If the state mandates you do a PPT and the store down the street is mandated to perform your PPT, why should you have to drive any extra miles just because a dealer doesn't feel like it?

Keep in mind we are talking $10 here. PPTs are not worth $10 (nothing a gun dealer does is worth $10 except a gun lock!). If you use someone else near your home to do a PPT instead of driving two hours to see me, I completely understand and it is not hurting me.

We should reward those that work with us with our business and our money. PPTs are not business nor money. They are a public service that FFLs agree to when they receive their license. Forcing the guy down the street to do his job is a good thing.

Trying to force someone to do your standard transfer or to order you something they don't want to is not.

Old 08-22-2008, 8:07 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Maybe I’m slow, but why would you want to force someone who obviously does not want to do business with you to do so?
Because we are being forced to take our Private Pary Transfers to an FFL so that the buyer can be DROSed. Since we are required to go to the FFL, CA requires the FFLs to process the PPT transfers (one exemption is that if a FFL does not sell handguns, they don't have to do handgun PPTs).

If any FFL can blow off PPTs, then the legal method of selling a used handgun goes bye-bye.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 08-22-2008, 8:08 PM

Okay, I get it... It was a x-fer I was thinking about getting one of these lowers http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=116394 shipped to them. Just so I understand, If I wanted to buy an OLL from my buddy they are bound to process the PPT BUT if I order one from say stag they can refuse?
Old 08-22-2008, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
Because we are being forced to take our Private Pary Transfers to an FFL so that the buyer can be DROSed. Since we are required to go to the FFL, CA requires the FFLs to process the PPT transfers (one exemption is that if a FFL does not sell handguns, they don't have to do handgun PPTs).

If any FFL can blow off PPTs, then the legal method of selling a used handgun goes bye-bye.
OOOOOHHHH, I get it now.... (Guess I am slow)
Old 08-23-2008, 8:14 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Okay, I get it... It was a x-fer I was thinking about getting one of these lowers http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=116394 shipped to them. Just so I understand, If I wanted to buy an OLL from my buddy they are bound to process the PPT BUT if I order one from say stag they can refuse?
That is correct. Now it is going to be tricky to try and force dealers to PPT OLLs and other such firearms. Many of them still think they are illegal and don't deal with them. A dealer should not and will not transfer something they think is illegal. If they call the DOJ and the DOJ gives them some BS answer, I don't blame a dealer for not PPTing OLLs and other firearms that the DOJ refuses to acknowledge are legal.

Old 08-23-2008, 9:00 AM
Vendor/Retailer

We do PPT all the time, anytime but....

If a dealer makes certain restrictions on PPT.....it's thier business....run it the way they like...

Getting the gov't involved at any level is always a bad idea.......

CWS....WE CAN GO HOT ANYTIME....

CALIFORNICATION AT IT'S BEST...

BRD....BLACK RIFLE DISEASE.......SPREAD IT!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2008, 9:57 AM

Additional.

May not be necessary but since it looks like there may be room near the bottom of the second page where you have the DOJ's phone number listed, I thought an additional item might be considered.

I think it would be powerful to list the consequences for not doing the PPT, or playing games like some additional fee, or only providing the service on certain days, etc. Consequences like possible fine, reprimand, loss of license, etc. FFL's know it already, but some seem to assume the public doesn't know or wouldn't have the information to file a complaint if needed.

I don't know, but if I was an FFL, and someone came into my shop with a form and it had the consequences with phone number to file a complaint, I might reconsider an additional $1 admin fee, or sales taxes fairly quickly.

Just a thought.
Indoor Winter Rimfire Shoot. Information here

Last edited by AngelDecoys; 08-23-2008 at 10:09 AM..
Old 08-23-2008, 11:18 AM

I am going back and forth…. It would be nice for an FFL to have a level of discretion ie., budding gangbangers buying from his homeboys shotty…. like the ones that shoot at target masters sometimes.

Then again that same level of discretion could lead to discrimination ie, the FFL just does not like your ugly mug and tells you to piss off.

Freedom and liberty are double edged swords I guess.