Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 08-10-2008, 6:36 PM

Default Fulton Armory M1 Carbine

Since reading a fine review of this rifle in Gun Tests magazine, and doing a lot of research on the internet, I am lusting after one.

Yes, I know all the negatives about .30 carbine ammo, but I don't care. And I'm not a reloader and will be shooting strictly factory ammo. (Some of them, in my opinion, are exaggerated or not well informed, but I don't want to start that debate!)

My question here is: does anyone own this rifle, esp. the Fulton Armory version or the Auto-Ordnance version?

Fulton builds them from original parts and reconditions everything from the frame up, but the parts won't be matching and thus they're not collectors. I don't want a collector. Auto-Ordnance builds them brand new from scratch and the price is less, but price is not the issue for me. Also, I don't want to buy a beater and recondition it myself. Mil-Tech also offers reconditioned versions.

Any opinions or comments would be welcome...thanks!

“You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We’ll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we’ll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. ” (Ronald Reagan, 1964)

Last edited by Go Navy; 08-10-2008 at 6:39 PM..
Old 08-10-2008, 9:25 PM

M1 Carbines are really fun to shoot, and I don't care if the round is 'anemic'.

Fulton does build good Carbines, but at a price. If you just want a shooter, check out CMP, or the Firearms for Sale forum here. If you have a C&R license, you can also check Gunbroker (usually lots of M1 Carbines for sale there) You can get a decent gun for cheaper going those routes, but it won't be refinished like a Fulton gun. It all depends on what you want to spend your money on.

As far as ammo goes, check out the ammo sales at CMP. I just saw an email where they are selling Aguila ammo, 500 rounds for $155 (+shipping). I bought a case awhile back and it's preformed flawlessly.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:13 PM

my friend has a fulton armory m1 carbine. it shoots well and looks nice. if you want something that is good to go without worry, and have something of a warranty, then this or kahr is the way to go... otherwise look around here in the for sale forums... they do come up for sale regularly...
as for an anemic round, it's just as powerful as 357 magnum, more powerful than 45 acp and is easier to shoot well than any handgun...

The whole of that Bill [of Rights] is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals...[I]t establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.
--- Oct 7, 1789, Hist. Soc.-A.G. Papers, 2

support your local gun dealer in CA as they are a rare breed and subject to nonexistence...
Old 08-11-2008, 9:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgey View Post
my friend has a fulton armory m1 carbine. it shoots well and looks nice. if you want something that is good to go without worry, and have something of a warranty, then this or kahr is the way to go... otherwise look around here in the for sale forums... they do come up for sale regularly...
as for an anemic round, it's just as powerful as 357 magnum, more powerful than 45 acp and is easier to shoot well than any handgun...
Right you are Dgey: I've checked the data on ft/lbs of energy both at the muzzle and downrange (see Chuck Hawk's site), and it does equal or beat the .357mag and the .45 acp., esp. downrange. Practically speaking, it's a 125 yard rifle or less, but that's dandy for self defense in my humble opinion.

“You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We’ll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we’ll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. ” (Ronald Reagan, 1964)
Old 08-11-2008, 12:03 PM

I have a Fulton Armory Carbine as well as another. The Fulton is like new out of the box. Had a problem with the rear sight and they fixed it no problem. Great shooter. With my old eyes I'm still all in the black (OK a few wander outside) at 100 yards. Excellent gun but, as you know, not cheep.
Old 08-13-2008, 8:56 AM

I had a Saginaw S.G. about 17 years ago and sold it for 250.00. We still have an original Winchester from 1944 that's in the family, but it's in my late mother's cousin's possession in Michigan. He uses it as a survival rifle that he stows in his Beechcraft Bonanza when he flies north into Canada when he goes fishing and whatnot. He likes it so much I don't see him wanting to give it up any time soon. I'm really up for getting another one and it seems that there's an increasing interest in these much underrated carbines. The one I had was about 1/4 pound lighter and almost an inch shorter than my standard Ruger 10/22 rifle and made it probably about the handiest longarm in it's power range that I ever owned. With the increasing prices it makes it a little harder(and sometimes a lot harder) to get into an original G.I. version but at least there's still a wide array that are available.
Old 08-24-2008, 9:31 PM

I always liked the look/design of the M1 Carbine and finally acquired one about a year ago. Now have two - both USGI - and both have gone through tech inspection at Fulton Armory. Between the price paid and the TI cost (both involved some repair and crowning) I'm well under the cost of new rebuilt gun, but if $1199 starts burning a hole in my pocket, I may get one anyway.

These are sweet to shoot and the comments above about the ammo being non-anemic are spot on. I've watched folks blast away with handguns at the outdoor range and not come near the target. Then I offer them a few shots with the Carbine, and the accuracy, lack of recoil and great handling come as a revelation, particularly to the wives. When TSHTF, this is my home defense weapon of choice.