Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 9:50 AM

Angry Warning My bad experience with Chaz Cheshire Update post 420

Here is my Yelp review of Chaz services
http://www.yelp.com/biz/cc-gunsmithing-redwood-city

I have a family Heirloom Ruger Mark II , an early one it had no scope rail . I looked for a gunsmith to put it on.
This involves drilling and taping 3 holes. in the receiver.

Chaz drilled right into the barrel and all the way into the rifling.
He does not dispute his mistake, the Ruger factory instruction gave him precise depths.

We had a number of Emails back and forth where we talked about different resolutions,
Buy me a new gun Ruger or Buckmark
Replace the barrel.
Buy the whole gun.

I agreed to have him buy the gun, but then I looked up the gun and found I can't get one in California. Remember I have a heirloom I wanted fixed not sold.

I Called Clark Custom in Louisiana and Clay said, "You are in Luck I have the exact barrel here and I'll be happy to replace your barrel. "
So $245.00 and 89 Fedex shipping later I have my gun back and fixed.

Chaz refuses to cover the costs.

I plan to take him to Small claims court, But I want cal guns members to avoid this sort of situation.
Please read his Yelp Reviews, If I had been smarter I would have never gone to a guy like him.

By the way, Clarke Custom treated me the best I have been treated by almost any Gun business. they are the 7 star company on the 5 star scale

Last edited by enrique L; 10-02-2015 at 9:57 AM.. Reason: Add positive
Old 10-02-2015, 9:56 AM
Banned

What did his email say to justify his conclusion of business with you other than his allegation that you didn't show up or call to reschedule?
Old 10-02-2015, 10:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

To make it fair, please e-mail the gunsmith in question with the link to this thread so he can respond (he responded to several negative Yelp reviews.)

At the moment it seems that you are just trying to create negative reviews and hurt his business because you had a disagreement about how to handle his mistake.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:16 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code 798

Why didn't you just buy an on roster ruger instead of permanently modifying a family heirloom? JK, I'm stupid. Roster wins again

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrique L View Post
Here is my Yelp review of Chaz services
http://www.yelp.com/biz/cc-gunsmithing-redwood-city

I have a family Heirloom Ruger Mark II , an early one it had no scope rail . I looked for a gunsmith to put it on.
This involves drilling and taping 3 holes. in the receiver.

Chaz drilled right into the barrel and all the way into the rifling.
He does not dispute his mistake, the Ruger factory instruction gave him precise depths.

We had a number of Emails back and forth where we talked about different resolutions,
Replace the barrel.
Buy the whole gun.

I agreed to have him buy the gun, but then I looked up the gun and found I can't get one in California. Remember I have a heirloom I wanted fixed not sold.

I Called Clark Custom in Louisiana and Clay said, "You are in Luck I have the exact barrel here and I'll be happy to replace your barrel. "
So $245.00 and 89 Fedex shipping later I have my gun back and fixed.

Chaz refuses to cover the costs.

I plan to take him to Small claims court, But I want cal guns members to avoid this sort of situation.
Please read his Yelp Reviews, If I had been smarter I would have never gone to a guy like him.

By the way, Clarke Custom treated me the best I have been treated by almost any Gun business. they are the 7 star company on the 5 star scale

-------

Last edited by Ubermcoupe; 10-02-2015 at 11:47 AM..
Old 10-02-2015, 10:17 AM

If what's said is true There was a solution avaliable . Fix the firearm only way is to replace the barrel . We are talking a family heirloom . I think the shipping was a little high for a barrel but if that's the only barrel available in decent shape . Then it's on the gunsmith to pay for it . If he offered to replace the the gun with a new Ruger or Buckman seems the prices would be pretty close .
Old 10-02-2015, 10:18 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermcoupe View Post
Why didn't you just buy an on roster ruger instead of permanently modifying a family heirloom?
Likely because there is only one semi auto Ruger pistol on the roster - the LC380CA.

And a new barrel on a MkII is hardly an easy fix. It is very difficult to replace the barrel on this pistol, and I would only trust a handful of outfits in the entire country to do it right. Clark Customs is one of them. $245 for a new barrel plus installation is not bad to have it done correctly, and since the actual pistol receiver had to be shipped to do it - Fedex overnight is required.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 10-02-2015 at 10:24 AM..
Old 10-02-2015, 10:19 AM
Banned

Let's hear Chaz' side of the story. It wouldn't be the first time something like this happened and was resolved one way or the other on Calguns.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:33 AM

Mr. Laroche, I refuse to be bullied or intimidated in any way. i agreed to purchase the firearm from you and transfer it into my name. You never showed up or bothered to call me. I consider our business concluded because you went and did what you wanted to do, regardless of what I agreed to.
Again, I consider our business concluded and ask that you stop harassing me via email, yelp, social media, and phone calls.

Last edited by CC Gunsmithing; 10-02-2015 at 11:37 AM..
Old 10-02-2015, 11:37 AM
Banned
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrage View Post
Let's hear Chaz' side of the story. It wouldn't be the first time something like this happened and was resolved one way or the other on Calguns.
Just like the GEN4 G19 milling thread......

OP....don't expect too much sympathy if any from me.

Your desire to ruin a great gun with a scope mount, improper vetting of the gunsmith, and the way you came on here just to spread your hate around....kinda douchy IMHO.

Take all the negative crap you are spreading, and maybe focus that into solving your problem instead of going onto forums to share your personal vendetta.

But you did succeed at one thing....you still managed to ruin a nice gun. Congrats !!

Old 10-02-2015, 11:39 AM
Banned

^ I did say "one way or the other". Never saw that one though. Got a link to it?
Old 10-02-2015, 11:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Likely because there is only one semi auto Ruger pistol on the roster - the LC380CA.

And a new barrel on a MkII is hardly an easy fix. It is very difficult to replace the barrel on this pistol, and I would only trust a handful of outfits in the entire country to do it right. Clark Customs is one of them. $245 for a new barrel plus installation is not bad to have it done correctly, and since the actual pistol receiver had to be shipped to do it - Fedex overnight is required.
I had no idea - haven't shopped for a Ruger MK in a long while.

-------
Old 10-02-2015, 11:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Gunsmithing View Post
Mr. Laroche, I refuse to be bullied or intimidated in any way.
Fair enough, but it wouldn't be amiss if you explained a bit more about how the mistake happened since the whole exchange started over a legitimate concern.

I strongly disagree with the online "negative review attack" methodology for which Yelp is famous, so OP gets no brownie points for what he is trying to do. On the other hand, drilling into a barrel does require a bit more explanation.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
Fair enough, but it wouldn't be amiss if you explained a bit more about how the mistake happened since the whole exchange started over a legitimate concern.

I strongly disagree with the online "negative review attack" methodology for which Yelp is famous, so OP gets no brownie points for what he is trying to do. On the other hand, drilling into a barrel does require a bit more explanation.
^^ This. I too will like to hear how/why this mistake occurred in the first place.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:09 PM

I acknowledged that I messed up and agreed to a solution he proposed, then he went and did what he wanted to do and expects me to pay for it..
Old 10-02-2015, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Mr. Laroche, I refuse to be bullied or intimidated in any way. i agreed to purchase the firearm from you and transfer it into my name. You never showed up or bothered to call me. I consider our business concluded because you went and did what you wanted to do, regardless of what I agreed to.
Again, I consider our business concluded and ask that you stop harassing me via email, yelp, social media, and phone calls.
What a ***** Response!!!
YOU OFFERED TO BUY FROM HIM, HIS OFF ROSTER GUN SO YOU COULD PROFIT OFF YOUR MISTAKE!
SHAME ON YOU!!!

PAY FOR YOUR SCREW UP!!!
Old 10-02-2015, 12:11 PM

Excuse me? I agreed to a solution that he proposed and then reneged on..
Old 10-02-2015, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Excuse me? I agreed to a solution that he proposed and then reneged on..
REALLY?
And what did you offer to pay for his off roster Heirloom?
Old 10-02-2015, 12:15 PM

If OP didn't want to sell the gun to CC, he should have discussed other options that would be satisfactory to him.

Yes, CC made a mistake.....after the mistake was made, an agreement was reached to settle the issue. After the agreement was made, OP (without communicating with CC) decided to go a different route and then send CC a bill.

How is this CC's fault?

They support free speech - on their terms. They oppose hate - providing they alone are allowed to define hate. They speak for 'the oppressed' - without their consent. Their problem, I suspect, is that they have never seen real suffering or inequality or oppression...
Old 10-02-2015, 12:17 PM

How is that any of your business?
He proposed a price, and I agreed to it...
Old 10-02-2015, 12:17 PM

Mistakes happen.

Chaz agreed to OP's terms to make it right and then OP, flaked and wants a do-over.

What am I missing?
Old 10-02-2015, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

What was the replacement value agreed on for the original gun? Was it less than the $245 + $89 = $334?
Old 10-02-2015, 12:20 PM

yes, and no
Old 10-02-2015, 12:20 PM
Calguns Addict

It was the customer's gun. It seems to me that making the customer whole after damaging the gun during the course of gunsmithing work would require replacing the damaged part. In this case, that would involve installing a new barrel. Forcing a customer to sell you a gun that he never wanted to part with doesn't seem like an adequate resolution.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
It was the customer's gun. It seems to me that making the customer whole after damaging the gun during the course of gunsmithing work would require replacing the damaged part. In this case, that would involve installing a new barrel. Forcing a customer to sell you a gun that he never wanted to part with doesn't seem like an adequate resolution.
How did you come to that conclusion?
Old 10-02-2015, 12:22 PM

Except that I didn't force anyone to do anything... I agreed to the price he wanted and he flaked. Now he's trying to bully me into something I did not agree to.

Last edited by CC Gunsmithing; 10-02-2015 at 12:24 PM..
Old 10-02-2015, 12:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.kevin View Post
How did you come to that conclusion?
I read Post #8.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Except that I didn't force anyone to do anything... I agreed to the price he wanted and he flaked. Now he's trying to bully me into something I did not agree to.
So he decided that he didn't want to lose the gun over your negligence. Pay for the new barrel and all will be made right.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
This ^^

/end thread

They support free speech - on their terms. They oppose hate - providing they alone are allowed to define hate. They speak for 'the oppressed' - without their consent. Their problem, I suspect, is that they have never seen real suffering or inequality or oppression...

Too bad that's not what I agreed to do.

I read post #8 too and didn't see where CC forced OP to sell his gun.

I did read where CC agreed to buy the gun from OP.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.kevin View Post
I read post #8 too and didn't see where CC forced OP to sell his gun.

I did read where CC agreed to buy the gun from OP.
It sounds to me like selling that gun to the gunsmith is the only option available to the customer. The gunsmith has now publicly stated that since the customer chose not to go that route after all, their business is unilaterally concluded.

Only it's not concluded. The customer's gun was damaged due to the negligence of the gunsmith. The customer is legally entitled to be made whole. Since the customer has decided that he doesn't want to sell his gun to the gunsmith, the gunsmith will have to pay for those damages. In this case, that will require that a new barrel be installed. It's unfortunate that the customer will have to go to small claims court to make this happen.

By the way, I have an out-of-production off-roster Ruger Mark II also. I wouldn't choose to sell it either.

Last edited by Mayor McRifle; 10-02-2015 at 12:46 PM..
Old 10-02-2015, 12:30 PM
小さな女性
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Was there a problem purchasing a new barrel for the OP? I know you didn't originally agree to that, but in any case that was the only way to fix it correct?
Quote:
Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program.
-Milton Friedman

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic164573_1.gif

Last edited by meno377; 10-02-2015 at 1:05 PM..
Old 10-02-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Too bad that's not what I agreed to do.
lol.....small claims court wont care man.....pay for the friggin barrel already
Old 10-02-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
It sounds to me like selling that gun to the gunsmith is the only option available to the customer. The gunsmith has now publicly stated that since the customer chose not to go that route, their business is unilaterally concluded.
From the OP:

Replace the barrel.
Buy the whole gun.

I see 3 options and OP chose #3 then reneged.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So the gunsmith won't replace the barrel because OP didn't "okay" it with him first?
Did the gunsmith "okay" it with the OP first before he ruined the gun? Then he shouldn't expect that same consideration in kind.
The gunsmith should suck it up and make it right.

Sure, it would have been nice if the OP had discussed the change in plans before purchasing anything, but it would have been nicer if the Gunsmith DID NOT MESS UP THE GUN IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Frankly, I will NEVER patronize CC Gunsmithing after his poor customer service performance, and unwillingness to fix a problem cause through HIS MISTAKE.
"The customer is always right," even when they're not. Maybe you should look into another line of work that doesn't involve customer service or skilled labor. Failed at both in this case, and that's just a fact.

I mean, OH NOES, your customer changed his mind, WHEN DOES THAT EVER HAPPEN??!?!? YOU ARE STILL ON THE HOOK. GOOD LUCK IN COURT, YOU'LL NEED IT.

Last edited by hunterb; 10-02-2015 at 12:47 PM..
Old 10-02-2015, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterb View Post
Sure, it would have been nice if the OP had discussed the change in plans before purchasing anything, but it would have been nicer if the Gunsmith DID NOT MESS UP THE GUN IN THE FIRST PLACE.
Makes sense to me. The smith paying for the barrel replacement seems like the right thing to do.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
How is that any of your business?
He proposed a price, and I agreed to it...
That's BS and you know it.
The op had no idea of the roster issues. YOU, being a gunsmith are all too well aware of it and the gun's true value.
So now because you can't profit off ruining this Man's gun, you wash your hands of it.

GOOD TO KNOW FOR FUTURE BUSINESS REFERENCE

Last edited by nedro; 10-05-2015 at 10:55 AM..
Old 10-02-2015, 1:13 PM

Quote:
He flaked? He bullied?

It is his property. Once he found out he could not purchase the item to replace it he decided to have it repaired.

An honorable thing to do is pay some or all of the repair to get the customer whole.
Old 10-02-2015, 1:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedro View Post
That's BS and you know it.
The op had no idea of the roster issues. YOU, being a gunsmith are all too well aware of it and the guns true value.
So now because you can't profit off ruining this Man's gun, you wash your hands of it.
The buyer's under no obligation to tell the seller he's about to make a bad deal due to his own ignorance. It's not how I would choose to do business with someone, but it sounds like a deal was made. If so, then that's that as far as I'd be concerned on the matter.
Old 10-02-2015, 1:18 PM
Veteran Member

So what's the value of a MkII in CA? And what was the agreed upon selling price?

Last edited by Canucky; 10-02-2015 at 1:25 PM..
Closed Thread