Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:34 PM

Default Duty belts or any belt?

So Im thinking of going to do some steel shoots. From what I know it's generally a requirement to have a belt of some sort to mount a holster + magazine holders.

I notice most people who were the shoots, wore belts which looks like some sort of a duty belt, but with plastic pinch release.

Are duty belts important to have? Or would any old belt works?
Are there some pro/cons that I should be aware of with specialty belt vs just a normal belt?
Old 07-19-2008, 11:56 PM
Calguns Addict

You will need a sturdy belt that doesn't allow play. Belts for shooting tend to be 1.5"+ and very stiff to support the weight.

http://store.thewilderness.com/produ...oducts_id=1186

These are awesome belts and easily adjustable. The sizing is a little odd so be sure to check that out if you decide to go this route. The 5 stich is essential. I haven't tried the CSM though.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Definitely not "any" belt. Normal belts are sufficient for holding your pants up, and that's about it. If you're gonna hang a pistol, four mags, ammo, holster, mag pouches, etc., on your belt, you need a belt specifically made to withstand that extra weight.

The aforementioned Wilderness belt is good. I own one and like it. I like my CR Speed belt better. Proper belts are essential, IMHO.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane916 View Post
You will need a sturdy belt that doesn't allow play. Belts for shooting tend to be 1.5"+ and very stiff to support the weight.

http://store.thewilderness.com/produ...oducts_id=1186

These are awesome belts and easily adjustable. The sizing is a little odd so be sure to check that out if you decide to go this route. The 5 stich is essential. I haven't tried the CSM though.
Huge +1 for the Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt. Mine just arrived last week. I got the 5-stitch, too. It really makes a huge difference over a standard belt. If you're going to wear it for competition, get the black. The Velcro blends into the belt and doesn't look as funky.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:30 AM

I have a 5.11 Tactical instructor belt that is very similar to the belt recommended above. It is very sturdy and not as bulky as a traditional "duty" belt. Around $25 if I remember correctly.
Old 07-20-2008, 1:17 AM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The reason many competitors where what you thought looked like a duty belt is just that all your setup stays in the same place and you can take tho whole belt off without removing or moving your pouches as you thread and unthread. So you get consistency and it is easier to gear up. You still can't go wrong with a 5 stitch 1.5" wilderness belt but if you compete frequently you may move to a double belt system of some kind.
Old 07-20-2008, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkt88edmo View Post
The reason many competitors where what you thought looked like a duty belt is just that all your setup stays in the same place and you can take tho whole belt off without removing or moving your pouches as you thread and unthread. So you get consistency and it is easier to gear up. You still can't go wrong with a 5 stitch 1.5" wilderness belt but if you compete frequently you may move to a double belt system of some kind.
Ahh, that finally makes a whole lot more sense now!
seem like wilderness belts are the way to go. doesnt look too unreasonable in pricing even compared to many duty belts that often are in the +$50 range.

Sizing tho seems very specific, I guess it really does make a difference!
Old 07-20-2008, 1:42 AM
Veteran Member

Go with an inner/outer belt such as the CR Speed.

Your beltloops will be exactly where you want to hang your holster and mag pouches otherwise.
Old 07-20-2008, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPaw View Post
Sizing tho seems very specific, I guess it really does make a difference!
There's flex room just like in a normal belt. At least 2", maybe 3". Like I said, get black so the velcro blends in. If you care. Don't expect it to stretch over time like a pair of leather shoes. That sucker isn't going to budge. Ever.
Old 07-20-2008, 8:10 AM

If you're serious about getting into competition on a regular basis, spend the extra money on a CR Speed belt. It's a dual belt system, one goes trough your belt loops and has velcro all the way around, the other goes directly on top (has velcro inside).

http://www.speedshooter.com/product_...ID=CRSP2001BLT Speed Shooter is a local company here in SoCal that I've had very good luck ordering from. Their prices are fair and they have always shipped fast.

"I wanna go fast!" - Ricky Bobby
Old 07-20-2008, 8:21 AM
Veteran Member

Get a gun belt; a regular belt will bend and flex alot making it difficult to quickly draw from the holster and mag pouches.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:44 AM

Do you guys prefer using the inner belts that go through the loops or the outer belts for your gear and using your old, regular inner belt to keep your pants up?
Old 07-20-2008, 11:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have gone with the Bianchi Accumold products with the inner velcro belt that attaches to itself to keep your pants up, and then the over belt which is the platform for all the holsters, mag pouches etc. The old school way was to use your inner pant's belt and then the Sam Brown overbelt was placed on top and all held in place with four belt keepers. I think the velcro system is much better in that you can be ready to go very quickly.
"The message we’re sending is…not here, not now, we’re prepared for you. And if you seek to harm our children, we will neutralize that threat and you will most likely be killed." Fontana PD Chief Rodney Jones on the FUSD decision to have AR-15s on school campuses.

CGF Contributor
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Beretta, GLOCK, SA-Colt AR15/M16, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer