Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:50 AM

Default 9/13/2015 SoCal Skeet Clinic Debrief

Aren't we glad the heat finally broke before the clinic today! It was still very warm in the 80's and clear skies all the way, which made for a great day of shooting.

Coach Don had an emergency and couldn't join us, but we were in the very capable hands of Captain Dick. Trapperjohn popped in for a good part of the morning to help, and we were also joined by former coach Ken Simpson. Thank you, all for coming to run such a fantastic clinic!

We had ten shooters, with three or four brand new to the clinic and skeet shooting. After fitting and some impromptu come adjustments, we got started with thorough yet easy-to-digest basics of shooting skeet.

Then, we were off to Station 1. Although Don wasn't there, trapperjohn and Ken both channeled him and loosed high houses.

For our most experienced shooter, we had the pleasure of having nzgxv9, a NSSA Rookie Champion, who really set the tone with his precise and methodical technique.

Before long we were pointing right and breaking clays, with lots of personal attention and tips. We each had lots of personal attention and the coaches were very insightful in picking up our weaknesses and giving us pointers or exercises to work on them.

Station 1 became Station 2 and then Station 3, with even some high house Station 7 before the break. All the while, we were urged to stay calm and to move smoothly. "Shooting quicker" means pulling the trigger sooner, not jerking to the target. Stop checking the barrel. Burn the image of the lead and trust the shot.

Since so many of us were new to skeet and were looking at getting guns for ourselves--I personally worked a demo Silver Pigeon from the range for the day to much delight--trapperjohn spoke to us a bit about what to look for.

Spacedoc had to leave early and nzgxv9 and his wife moved to some private shooting. We also said goodbye to Ken and his friend and trapperjohn, so six of us (elmontemike, fknauss, and ronstafari and his guests) continued with Captain Dick after the break.

We hit low houses at Station 7 and eventually moved into some doubles before the heat got too bad.

Altogether, we had a great time and learned a lot. If you're new to skeet, these skeet clinics really can't be beat. When you also consider the price, the amount of coaching and the expertise of all the coaches, it is hard to find anything of greater value.

There are five more clinics through the end of the year. Come out and join us for one!

SoCal Shotgun/Skeet Clinics Information Page

SoCal Shotgun/Skeet Clinics Dates and Signup Rosters

Last edited by EatsEverything; 09-14-2015 at 5:18 PM.. Reason: NSSA, not NSSF. Wrong shooting sports organization.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:53 AM

I asked trapperjohn about buying a gun in PMs and he generously shared this with me. I thought it was great advice and with his permission, I'm posting it here for the group.

Quote:
As for the guns, I would suggest you continue to use the loaner guns, as they will be familiar to you, and Richard can make sure they fit reasonably well.

As for buying a gun: wait. Be patient.

Shoot lots of different guns, whether rented or borrowed, and discover what feels best to you - over/under, semi-auto, whatever - shoot everything you can get your hands on. Don't make any decision, but instead keep track or what felt good, what you shot well, and why (if you can tell).

Atend the clinics and ask Richard what to look for in proper gun fit. Think of that (and feel it) as you shoot different guns.

Listen to what guns other people like and have, but don't for a minute think that means they will be right for you. Gun fit, and feel in your hands is EVERYTHING, and very indvidual.

Realize that most guns may not fit you perfectly and may need some adjustment to fit you properly. If a gun fits you off-the-rack, great! But don't be surprised or disappointed if it doesn't.

Triple B Clays rents guns in two categories: common rental guns, and high-end guns. Two differrent price points, but both reasonable. Most importantly, they let you shoot and exchange within each category for the day as you like! This means you can try many different guns in a half-day of shooting and narrow the field of likely "gun for me" candidates.

Ask to borrow and shoot other people's guns. Most are happy to let you (typically because they look for vindication of their choice through your liking their gun). Realize too that their gun is probably set up to fit THEM, not YOU. So take any experience shooting someone else's gun with a grain of salt. But it's a great way toget e general feeling of that brand/type/model gun.

Understand that most guns for sale are from people that bought before they understand what they really need in a gun. Many buy because their friend says such-and-such a gun is awesome, or because it is very popular in internet forums. The guns for sale with less than 200 shells through them (barely enough to get a feel for any gun) are SO common. Because these people bought to satisfy an itch, without understanding the importance of gun fit and what that really means.

A well fitted gun can be well shot (hitting targets) for several hundred rounds without any pain or discomfort whatsoever...and without any rubbery recoil pad at all (ask me how I know).

Lastly, get the book "The Stock Fitters Bible" by Rollin Oswald (on amazon) before you buy any gun. The information about gun fit is priceless and will save you much anguish as you learn about what to look for and shop for in your perfect gun. Or we can meet-up and I'll loan you my copy.

Once you truly understand the importance of gun fit, and know what to look for, you'll be able to confidently lay down your hard-saved cash for the gun that you KNOW will work well for you. And you won't be one of the sad sacks on the internet selling a gun with less than 200 rounds through it.

I offer all of this information from the perspective of someone that was exactly in your shoes, and bought my first guns before I should have.

Good luck and safe shooting.

trapperjohn
Old 09-14-2015, 4:01 PM

This was my third clinic.

I am not naturally ept at most activities requiring a lot of physical coordination - I'm a brain person. Captain Dick's patience and positive reinforcement, combined with Don's yelling and growling at the previous clinics, have whittled away enough of my mistakes that I can actually identify one or two I'm committing at any one time, rather than all of them together. Plus, I'm actually breaking a lot of clays! I'm kind of dreading the doubles at the stations I haven't shot yet, but I'm excited about mastering those as well.

The people that show up have been great to hang out with, and great to talk to.

I'm impressed that every time I go, I can watch the newbies make tremendous progress from the beginning of the day to the end - If you haven't gone yet, and are considering it, clear out a half day on your calendar and do it!

(Also, thanks to EatsEverything for writing the lead off post!)

Last edited by fknauss; 09-14-2015 at 4:04 PM..
Old 09-14-2015, 4:03 PM

Also, I'm one of those people who bought a shotgun before I knew what I wanted. I'm lucky in that I'm finding it serviceable, but I think trapperjohn's advice up there is great.
Old 09-14-2015, 7:46 PM

What a great and full recap eats! Thanks for posting.

For those who might be on the fence about these clinics, or wondering if they are worthwhile, the overwhelming opinion of those that have attended is a resounding YES!

If you've ever wanted to see what shotgunning is about, shoot some clays, or improve your existing skills - these clinics are a one-stop way to do all that and more.

Come spend some time breaking clays with some great people!

We hope to see you soon at one of the next scheduled clinics.