Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:31 AM

Default Excel Arms Accelerator 17 HMR finally got here

After 4 1/2 months my Accelerator rifle finally showed up. Figured I would share a couple of pics. I took it out the day I got it, and 100 rounds went down range with only two FTE's and both of those were ammo that was under powered. Accuracy seems to be great given the POS scope that came on it, and yes, that is not a POS scope in the pictures. I am waiting for a set of extra high rings to move my Zeiss up a bit, but I had to put something on it. I have already gutted the action to investigate the inner workings and installed a set screw for a sear stop and a set screw to take up some of the trigger slack. Excellent design and well thought out, it even has a firing pin block like todays pistols. All parts, well made and finished with no burrs or rough surfaces.

I will keep everyone posted of how this thing performs since they got a bad reputation when they first came out and I had to know if they had figured out the major bugs. So far. so good.
Mark
Old 07-16-2008, 11:06 AM

What kind of groups are you getting?
Old 07-16-2008, 11:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Would be real interested in an in depth range report, though thus far sounds OK. I see these at the shows, the only thing that has kept me from buying is the less than steller rep.

Last edited by dfletcher; 07-16-2008 at 8:45 PM..
Old 07-16-2008, 11:48 AM

With the crappy scope that wouldn't focus the cross-hairs, I was chewing nine rounds into 3/8-1/2" at 25yds. I was using Federal 17gr ammo and function was my prime concern, not accuracy. The factory trigger is necessarily long due to the firing pin block, but by adding an engagement stop to the sear, the break feels much cleaner. I will try to get to the range again this week to test out the revised trigger and with good glass on it. I don't expect this to displace my CZ 452 for accuracy, but, so far, it looks like it should represent itself well. I will post my experiences and any impressions as I get more time with it.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:07 PM
Calguns Addict

I read several blogs on the EA Accelerator and they did have some issues but are without a doubt totally cool looking. I hope they (EA) have worked out the bugs and problem areas. I would consider buying one if bugs have been corrected. Very sweet looking rifle.
Old 07-16-2008, 2:54 PM

Nice looking rifle and I hope it runs perfect.

Pay attention to your spent cases. Watch for bulging and blown cases. I have sent two back to be replaced that blew up pretty bad.

Be safe and have fun.
Old 07-16-2008, 3:14 PM

Nice setup hopefully she treats you right...i love my 17hmr (savage 93) it's my favorite cartridge to shoot right now...
Old 07-16-2008, 3:21 PM
Calguns Addict

I checked one out at the Costa Mesa show last year. Nice rifle...
Old 07-16-2008, 3:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
Nice looking rifle and I hope it runs perfect.

Pay attention to your spent cases. Watch for bulging and blown cases. I have sent two back to be replaced that blew up pretty bad.

Be safe and have fun.
YIKES..... I thought that was one of the problems that they fixed? Sure would like some more imput on these rifles. They sure are sweet looking.
Old 07-16-2008, 3:43 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I would LOVE one of these in 5.7... Unfortunately, then it becomes evil and has to be regulated. Damn center-fire primers

Do they make one in plain jane 22mag? I've always wanted a .22mag gun, just because I've never owned one, and this would be a fun little platform to have a little extra 22 "oomph".

I keep not buying a .17hmr bolt-action because other guns demand my money, but it's on the list! So is one of these.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 07-16-2008, 4:57 PM

Yes, they make a plain wrapper version in 22 mag. I was watching the cases and there was no evidence of pressure signs. My friend and I were pleased with the minimal flash at the ejection port, which indicates good timing and bolt mass.
Old 07-16-2008, 7:55 PM

Nice, 17hmr is great, so much fun and accurate at 100yds. I would love a 17HMR upper.
Old 07-17-2008, 8:16 AM

Well, after repairing it once, the customer brought it back with the side blown out of it.
He had a collection of bulged and blown cases.

Excell replaced the rifle. Last I heard it's still bulging cases. I really like the rifle, but it was a customer service nightmare.

To be fair, Excell never once avoided helping my customer and was 100% responsive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBob View Post
YIKES..... I thought that was one of the problems that they fixed? Sure would like some more imput on these rifles. They sure are sweet looking.
Old 07-17-2008, 8:58 AM
Janitors assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
Well, after repairing it once, the customer brought it back with the side blown out of it.
He had a collection of bulged and blown cases.

Excell replaced the rifle. Last I heard it's still bulging cases. I really like the rifle, but it was a customer service nightmare.

To be fair, Excell never once avoided helping my customer and was 100% responsive.
Martin I think the problem is with the 17 cartridge and not the rifle there have been nothing but issues with this case have you noticed that Mfr's are discontinuing semi auto 17's and there have been no new offerings? I say keep it clean or suffer the same fate, heck it may not even be a dirt issue as some have suggested elsewhere.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:29 AM

In their defense, I haven't associated a failure with any rifle produced within the last 12-18 months. Every story that contained the fateful "the rifle went back to the factory ___ times", was an early production rifle or was purchased "as new" from some previous owner that had owned it an undetermined amount of time. Ivan hit the nail on the head with his comment about it being a caliber thing. I have not found any stories related to the 22WMR, in regards to dangerous occurrences. The industry has been learning the hard way since 1959 (22WMR), that it takes a lot of engineering to make a high pressure rimfire. Making it survive in a locked breech (study up on the 5mm Rem mag) much less in an auto loading weapon has proven even more of a task. If you notice, most of the complaints leveled against the Accelerator are the same associated with many other manufacturers' 17 HMR offerings. The other problem I see, is that several of the stories running around, are the same story retold multiple times to warn the unwary of the "dangers" (you know, like "Demon rum" and "Assault weapons") faced by simply walking past it on a gun show table. I am not making light of these people and am not doubting their experience, but their conviction that their problems were bound to be shared by others motivated them to keep the public informed. I will make a quick reference to my own experience with the dear departed Rhineland Arms R22. I knew there were two of these rifles that were N.I.B. in the back room of a local store where I help out. I had read all of the horror stories and also all of the glowing praise heaped upon various examples. There was no rhyme or reason to were they good or bad. I purchased the heavy barrel example and proceeded to earn my keep as a gunsmith. I had every known malfunction and even a few new ones. FTFeed, FTFire, FTE, firing out of battery, slam fires, ejector taking off for parts unknown, etc... After several major mods and handwork (including fitting a 10/22 bolt) it runs like a top and is an enjoyable "evil" rimfire. Naturally, I am a glutton for punishment, I bought rifle #2 expecting the same. I got to the range and ran over 100 rounds without incident to start off, although it did show a definite dislike for a batch of Remington that I tried to feed it later. The kicker is that the two rifles are sequential serial numbers! Night and day. I am going to the range today before I go on watch tonight and will try to keep everyone posted.
Old 07-18-2008, 5:14 AM

200 more rounds went down range. I regret not waiting for my taller rings to show up, but I was impatient. Accuracy was tough to judge, because it was too uncomfortable to get a consistent cheek weld and I did not bring my sand bags. All my groups were well under an inch at 50yds and I will shelve the Zeiss for now and use a 16X Leupold target scope to work on the accuracy capabilities. I learned some disappointing news about ammo consistency because of this gun. I shot 3 boxes of CCI 17gr V-max, with a total of 6-8 FTE's, I knew by the recoil impulse, every time I had a failure and was able to reach up and rack the bolt to clear. I still had not cleaned the barrel and chamber but the gun ran along strongly. As I went into the 250-300 round count, I shot a box of Hornady 17gr V-max. All of this ammo was very mild recoil and I experienced at least 8 failures to clear the chamber and this is when I experienced 2 failures to feed, which appeared to be a short stroke of the bolt which did not allow the round to be properly stripped off the magazine. I am very pleased with the weapon, but discouraged with inconsistent ammo. I never noticed the difference with the action on my CZ bolt gun, but when you can rhythmically send one round after another, you suddenly realize how much variation exists. I am exceedingly pleased with the rifles operation. I will be sticking to CCI for my ammo needs. I want to mention that I finally cleaned everything when I got home and found very little fouling in the action which required quick work to leave it clean. The bore cleaned up slick as a whistle with very little fouling in the barrel and chamber. I will try to answer the accuracy questions with my next range trip, I will swap optics for some serious bench work.
Til later
Old 08-17-2008, 7:07 PM

I would love an update on how she's shooting. Which ammo works best? etc...

I also own one - bought on impulse - and I've seen a lot of negative feedback online since. I've only shot a couple of rounds through her so far, so I still don't know if I have a good one.

Anyhow, she feels really nice and seems to hit what I aim at. Time will tell.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

yeah... the Excel guns were troublesome. The company is great, they refunded all 6 that I purchased and sold a few years ago,as EVERY customer who bought them had the same problem,... they dont work. The gun is the excell rimfire pistol in a big slave stock, witha long barrell attached- THAT is some good thinking on their part- minimize [arts to refit/repair, etc...

I DID find thatthey work well with only 4-5 rounds in the mag. The problems come when the magazine pressure dnets and distorts the round trying to chamber, and the round, now no longer "round" won't get into battery- stopping the gun

Looks, A+
Ergo-A+
IDEA-A+
foresight to avoid the magazine issue- D-.

I hope they have fixed the issue. The best they did for me in 20032004 was send a few peices of wire coat hanger to push the mag follower down, so as not to bend up the cases while loading. They WERE aware of this exact problem, and planned to fix it. Good enough company thiugh, to not give me a hassle over the whole thing.

what dio the retail for these days anyway?

BTW.. the .380 acp pistol they make (made) is VERY GOOD. All SS< built like the AMT guns- heavy, solid worked great. Sold cheap. beat the bersa any day.

If only the function of the rifle would catch up the the ilooks and idea behind it. Excell obviously has a great MFG facility, they just need to fire the engineer on the project and get someone new.

Last edited by CRTguns; 08-17-2008 at 10:38 PM..
Old 08-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member

kInda off topic, but what does "nice gun" [I]really[I] mean?

Does it imply that the gun does not bite or scratch when you pick it up? Does it not... say.. interrupt you while your talking?

or does it open doors for you?

maybe says "please" and "Thank you" regularly.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:26 PM

CRT
They now provide a heavy piece of wire stock and a hole in the follower to to allow loading the mag without damaging the cases. I just woke up to the fact that I had not checked this thread for a while and I was out with it a few weeks ago and function is still good excepting the light ammo that won't always eject (Hornady is the big culprit) and accuracy was looking great despite the wind down at South Bay, I was hovering at 1MOA. I need to get to P2K to sit down on the indoor range for some wind free testing. I almost forgot! I did find that CCI 17gr TNT ammo is not the best for feeding the second round out of the magazine. I had both of my magazines do it out of a clean gun. It hung up hard and jammed the bullet back into the case. I had no further problems but I will keep that load aside for my CZ as a precaution
Till later
Mark
Old 08-25-2008, 5:33 AM

Well, peer pressure for more info drove me to the range. another 250rds went down the pipe. Some hiccups and bobbles, but all of only slight inconvenience and that was towards the tail end with a VERY hot gun and no cleaning. I decided to use the 17HMR 50yd challenge targets and ran several groups that would be small enough but I screwed up a decent pair and actually shot my tightest groups using the little Cupid character as my target. CCI and the Hornady load with the V-Max print right by one another, the CCI TNT load shifts impact about 1.5" right and .5" high consistently. This puts my round count at about 1000 and this has been a lot of fun. I will probably try to focus on the 50yd Challenge with the CZ first and then get serious with the Accelerator. I will try not to forget further updates.
Mark
Old 08-25-2008, 6:56 AM

Q: Internally, does this gun share any common parts or have any similarities with the Ruger 10/22?

Just curious.
-g
Old 08-25-2008, 8:28 PM

gunn
No similarities at all, its a radically different design. It feeds through the grip, uses a 9rd magazine, has a firing pin block and uses an extension spring as opposed to a compression spring to name a few. Take a look at my photos and you will see the huge difference.
Mark
Old 06-08-2009, 7:40 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsmchs View Post
Do they make one in plain jane 22mag? I've always wanted a .22mag gun, just because I've never owned one, and this would be a fun little platform to have a little extra 22 "oomph".

I keep not buying a .17hmr bolt-action because other guns demand my money, but it's on the list! So is one of these.
Sorry to necro-post, but I just bought one of these this weekend at the Costa Mesa show (in .17hmr) and was hoping people might be able to share any updated info on this gun.

Specifically, what was done to add those set-screws for the trigger? The trigger was really the only thing I didn't like much about the gun.

Are there any after-market triggers available yet?
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 08-11-2014, 5:10 AM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

I'm gonna necro bump this again. I'm curious to what seems to be the slide stop button. It looks like it is set in the area that it should be but kind of crooked. Is this a defect of any sort, or just looks odd due to the picture. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-11-2014, 5:40 PM

How are the triggers on the Excel Arms Accelerator?