Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member

Default So-Cal Skeet clinic, 8/1/15, Write-Up and review

I attended more than a few of Coach Z's clinics in my day, but none within the past... year and a half? So, it was with great anticipation I signed up for the 8/1 class. I even convinced a co-worker to attend with me, although he bailed around lunchtime.

The class was very new-shooter-heavy. I was the most (or 2nd most) experienced class member, more than 50% of the class had never shot a shotgun before, although many of them had pistol and rifle experience.

"Teaching Opportunities" abounded. (See how that program management exposure is enhancing my communications skills?). Each student had with them their own baggage, including one student who was not only cross-eye-dominant, but had an old shoulder injury on the eye-side. Captain Dick and Coach Z. took each of us aside in our own time, laid some knowledge on us, then smacked us on the butt and All of us, including our star-crossed shooter, soldiered on, and by the end of the class a lot of real talent was being revealed!

Everyone, by the time we packed up and went home, had increased their skills, and many of the new shooters were picking off doubles with an ease that made the more experienced shooters (ie: me) jealous.

At one point, it was revealed that today was Mrs. Z's birthday. To be sure, Coach's dedication to his sport cannot be understated.

Thanks, to all the shooters, the coaches, and to Mrs. Z!
Old 08-02-2015, 7:27 AM

I was at BBB's yesterday to shoot some practice. They looked like they had a very full class for the clinic. It's good to see all those new shooters out there, I hope they enjoyed themselves and learned something of value...
After attending several of these clinics, I can tell you, if you do what Don and Richard tell you to do...the clays will start breaking. After a clinic last year, I asked Don if he could pull a "regular" round of Skeet for me, he did and I shot my first 25 straight

IT WORKS IF YOU WORK IT

My page...Give me some feedback.
Old 08-02-2015, 7:37 AM

Nice writeup BFG. Sounds like a long day.

I bet the newbies gained a headful of skills to use, although they could be overwhelming at first. Now the tough part is to practice those skills so they become natural.

As a veteran of the clinics, what did you come away with? I for one have been working to make full use of the hips. So I have also been watching a lot of Elvis youtube videos.

MidLife - "Just look at the bird. And swing smoothly to the shot. "

CaptainDick - " Faster! Faster! Faster! Don't think!
Old 08-02-2015, 8:29 AM

Key learning point for me was that I move my hips better if I think of swinging my butt instead of thinking about the hips.

Also, getting to watch Cpn Dick shoot a couple of doubles after the class, I got a chance to see just how much every step (starting from how he approaches the shooters box) is established as a routine.

Thanks to the instructors for another great class!
Old 08-02-2015, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fknauss View Post
Also, getting to watch Cpn Dick shoot a couple of doubles after the class, I got a chance to see just how much every step (starting from how he approaches the shooters box) is established as a routine.
I had the chance to shoot the Sansei shoot today with Richard and a few other clinic attendees. What you saw and were told at the clinic is exactly how Richard does it in a shoot, the same thing every time at every station!
When you are at your next clinic, listen, watch and learn...It does work

Old 08-02-2015, 7:42 PM

I am so sorry I couldn't make the clinic, and especially the Sansei shoot - would've loved that.

Hope you all had a great time and shot well.
Old 08-02-2015, 8:40 PM
Veteran Member

Best comment a student made to Coach: "when I do what you tell us, the clay breaks. When I don't, I miss. "
Old 08-02-2015, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post
I had the chance to shoot the Sansei shoot today with Richard and a few other clinic attendees. What you saw and were told at the clinic is exactly how Richard does it in a shoot, the same thing every time at every station!
When you are at your next clinic, listen, watch and learn...It does work
I had the pleasure of following Richard in our sansei squad. It almost felt like cheating because I could just copy his routine
Old 08-02-2015, 8:54 PM

Would love to go to one of these classes. When are the upcoming ones next?
Old 08-02-2015, 8:57 PM

Found it!!! Thanks anyways
Old 08-02-2015, 8:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Do any of you skeet boys ever wonder what we're doing on the back side of the range?
Old 08-02-2015, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Do any of you skeet boys ever wonder what we're doing on the back side of the range?
Nope, I know what goes on over there
Amazingly, my SC scores are generally better than my Skeet scores. Today was a rough choice, Skeet at BBB's or SC at Moore-N-Moore, and today my Skeet score was better than my usual SC score.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I know what goes on, I instruct back there. Do you ever wonder if you have the discipline and mental toughness to run 100 straights at skeet? A lot of guys that don't just like to stick to shooting sporting.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:12 PM
Calguns Addict

I shot skeet for years, it's too repetitive for me. It wasn't the discipline and mental toughness I struggled with, it was the repetitiveness.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member

Now, now, can't we all just get along?

I'd love to shoot sporting clays, but I think I'd have to admit my 590 may not be up to that particular task...
Old 08-03-2015, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angryjonny View Post
I had the pleasure of following Richard in our sansei squad. It almost felt like cheating because I could just copy his routine
I did also at Sansei. Richard's routine is concise and consistent. His shot is quick with little movement and with surgical precision. He showe a high level of focus using all of the techniques Coach and Richard have been teaching at the clinics.

Watching Richard shoot a tournament was a pleasure.

Old 08-03-2015, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post
Nope, I know what goes on over there
Amazingly, my SC scores are generally better than my Skeet scores. Today was a rough choice, Skeet at BBB's or SC at Moore-N-Moore, and today my Skeet score was better than my usual SC score.
You did amazing considering you were shooting your backup gun.

Old 08-03-2015, 7:10 AM

Quote:
I shot skeet for years, it's too repetitive for me. It wasn't the discipline and mental toughness I struggled with, it was the repetitiveness.
Whatever gets you through the night.
Old 08-03-2015, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
You did amazing considering you were shooting your backup gun.
I spent a lot of time getting the two guns to fit the same or as close to it as possible. I need to work on L2, L3, H5 & H6, things are starting to look up tho...

Old 08-05-2015, 2:33 AM

Prior to the clinic, I'd probably shot no more than I have fingers and toes out of a shotgun here and there. I'm so glad I took this clinic and got to see how much fun a shotgun can be outside of range setting!

I found the instruction to be very helpful, on-point, and encouraging with just enough salt to make it very entertaining. The individual and group attention was fantastic and I never felt like I wasn't learning something. I was amazed at how little down time there was, despite the long line to step up to the box to shoot.

This was my first time at Triple B Clays and I'm seriously impressed. They have a fantastic facility and I'm looking forward to visiting it more often.

I guess the next step is getting a shotgun that isn't some frankensteined Mossberg pump.

I just signed up for the 9/13 and 10/11 clinics. Hope to see you all there!