Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 07-05-2008, 2:18 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default excessive head space M1 Carbine

I bought a flat bolt from Numrich to replace the round bolt in my early model Winchester M1 Carbine. Unfortunately this new bolt (never used, no markings) has quit a bit of slop when I close it it on a sized empty casing, whereas my old bolt (which functions fine) has no slop when I strip it and close it on the same case.
I'm gently closing the stripped bolt without the slide, moving it forward until it rotates into lock without any resistance. This new bolt drops into lock easily plus moves back and forth about .005"to .010".
I don't have head space gauges to check for sure, it just seems way to loose to me. So before I invest in gauges and whatever else is needed, I'm wondering if there is a fix for a bolt with excessive head space, or is the bolt junk?
Old 07-05-2008, 2:25 PM
Veteran Member

You really need to use a headspace gauge to get a accurate measurement.
Old 07-05-2008, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie View Post
You really need to use a headspace gauge to get a accurate measurement.
I'm pretty sure it's excessive, because what I failed to mention earlier because I hate to fluant my stupidity, is I went out and shot a few rounds. The bolt closed every time, I was at least smart enough to check that, but after a few shots the cases started coming out with a slight bulge at the base and pierced primers! That's when I knew I had problems.

So I'm wondering what's to be done with a new bolt that doesn't lock up tight. Can they be fixed, is it import junk, should I send it back to Numrich?
Old 07-05-2008, 3:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

once again if it ain't broke

they fitted the round bolt stick with it
Old 07-05-2008, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
once again if it ain't broke
You know, I've been hearing people say "if it ain't broke don't fix it" all of my life, and it is sound advice, but ask anybody who's owned a Harley, tricked out an RC car, tinkered with and old truck or put together their own 1911 .45, the urge is just too strong, "it works okay now, but maybe I can make it work even better!"

Often I just break it.... sometimes, but not always.

I just like the looks of the flat bolt. Every thing you hear about these old guns is that they are all parts bin guns, everything interchangable. Not being an expert or a gunsmith, I didn't know whether the bolts needed fitting or not, so I ordered one and tried it out. It doesn't fit.

Does anyone have useful advice on what my options are with this bolt?
Old 07-05-2008, 4:07 PM

A repro flat bolt is no more correct than a round bolt from another GI manufacturer. If I were you I'd send back the flat bolt and look for a flat Winchester bolt. Even if it costs you $40-50 more than the repro bolt you'll be better off.

Who is the manufacturer of the round bolt? If you just want a flat bolt by any maker I have a flat NPM bolt I may be willing to trade.
Old 07-05-2008, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyboomstick View Post
Who is the manufacturer of the round bolt? If you just want a flat bolt by any maker I have a flat NPM bolt I may be willing to trade.
My round bolt is marked "-U-", it is well used and the back has been well hammered by the, well, hammer. However it functions flawlessly.
I'd certainly be open for a swap if for nothing more than to meet someone who knows more about these great little guns than I do.
Old 07-05-2008, 4:35 PM

I don't really have use for an Underwood round bolt. I would recommend returning the flat bolt to Numrich. (They'll take it back) Then register on the CMP forum and post a WTT ad here.

If you offer to trade your Underwood round bolt for any USGI flat bolt (plus some cash if you have to) there's a pretty good chance someone will take you up on it.
Old 07-05-2008, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyboomstick View Post
I don't really have use for an Underwood round bolt. I would recommend returning the flat bolt to Numrich. (They'll take it back) Then register on the CMP forum and post a WTT ad here.

If you offer to trade your Underwood round bolt for any USGI flat bolt (plus some cash if you have to) there's a pretty good chance someone will take you up on it.
Thanks, that's the kind of info I was looking for!