Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 07-11-2015, 3:10 PM

Default July 11th SoCal Skeet Clinic Debrief

As usual, it was a beautiful sunny day in So Cal. A perfect day to spend some quiet time at the range.
Today we had 5 shooters, 4 new and 1 veteran. For the new shooters, the day started with safety, gun fit, proper mounting and basic foot position. Once that was squared away, off to station 1 for some incoming targets. With a bit of one-on-one coching, the newbies caught on and were breaking clays...so off to station two we went. Most new shooters have problems adjusting to the lead required after changing stations, not these guys, they caught on quick. After a few birds it was off to 3. Again, these guys caught on quick. It's amazing what happens when you listen to the coaches and put it into action
As the morning went on the new shooters were proving that this system works...If you work it By the end of the day everyone was shooting doubles...AND hitting them What an excellent day!!!
As the lone veteran shooter I was allowed to work on what I felt were problem areas for me. After talking to Don and Richard before the clinic, and based on my assement of my problem areas, I decided to work on mechanics mainly on long incoming targets...Not my usual want to shoot 3, 4 & 5 doubles To make things as difficult as possible on myself, I shot .410 only The coaches say that shouldn't make it any harder...Well, I'm not at that level yet but it's all good!

It was a nice, quiet, peaceful day at the range, a very good day!!!
I think everyone learned something of value, I KNOW I DID

Thank you Don and Richard for putting on these clinics

These clinics are the best value around if you want to learn to shoot a shotgun...or if you want to refine your skills...

My page...Give me some feedback.
Old 07-11-2015, 3:49 PM

Great recap ceh! I wish I could have attended today.

Can't wait to go to the clinic next week!
Old 07-11-2015, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post
As the lone veteran shooter I was allowed to work on what I felt were problem areas for me. After talking to Don and Richard before the clinic, and based on my assessment of my problem areas, I decided to work on mechanics mainly on long incoming targets...Not my usual want to shoot 3, 4 & 5 doubles ..
What did they suggest on long incomers Chuck? I try to break them after they pass the center stake. By then I am riding it hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperjohn View Post

Me too!

MidLife - "Just look at the bird. And swing smoothly to the shot. "

CaptainDick - " Faster! Faster! Faster! Don't think!
Old 07-11-2015, 4:13 PM

I was one of the "new guys" on today's shoot - and by new guy, we're talking NO previous shotgun experience. Don and Richard are excellent teachers and coaches, and for $30 (+ range and target fees) this is an absolute steal. If you would have told me yesterday that I'd be consistently hitting doubles today, I wouldn't have believed it. But if you listen to what they are saying and implement it, you will succeed!

I'm a firm believer in learning to do things right the first time, rather than plundering through and then having to un-learn a bunch of bad habits. Don and Richard embody this philosophy. All in all, this is a great way to spend a sunny Saturday morning
Old 07-11-2015, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
What did they suggest on long incomers Chuck? I try to break them after they pass the center stake. By then I am riding it hard.
Richard noticed a slight roll over in my shoulders, Don noticed my hip being pushed out just a little. So I worked on that for a while, and it did help. After that, it came down to something Roger told me after the last Sansei Shoot..."Shoot them sooner" Don and Richard agreed with this, so I got a bit agressive and shot them at the stake...It works
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperjohn View Post
Me too...
By the way, Don did say he was going to work on being nicer since there will be several ladies there
We'll see how that goes
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchinaski View Post
Don and Richard are excellent teachers and coaches, and for $30 (+ range and target fees) this is an absolute steal. If you would have told me yesterday that I'd be consistently hitting doubles today, I wouldn't have believed it. But if you listen to what they are saying and implement it, you will succeed!
This is the truth.
For me, I enjoy seeing new shooters go through these clinics. Many go from having never shot a shotgun to breaking bang, bang doubles...It's an amazing sight to see

My page...Give me some feedback.
Old 07-11-2015, 7:41 PM

I'd also like to thank Don and Richard - they make a great team and I learned a ton. Even if you don't plan on pursuing this sport in depth, this clinic is a great introduction to the fundamentals.

I'm quite sure not all of everything I learned today will stick, so I'm planning on signing up for another class soonish. Hopefully I won't be back at square one again.
Old 07-11-2015, 8:53 PM

Fknauss - at your next clinic, you won't start off at square one, and will be surprised how well repeat attendance builds on what you did before. That's why veterans of previous clinic keep returning - well that, and the fact that the sport is addicting for many!

Look in the sticky in the next week or so for additional dates for more clay shooting fun!