Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > California Precision Rifle Club
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Precision Rifle Club California Precision Rifle Club Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-01-2008, 4:30 PM
Spaniard's Avatar
Spaniard Spaniard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Inland Empire
Posts: 376
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default 2008 SCPRC Open Slot

If any of you know someone who would like to shoot in the SCPRC, we have 1 open position available.

Send me an e-mail asap if you have a friend or know someone who is familiar with bolt rifle events and would like to compete. Veteran or newbie makes no difference as long as their safe and can follow basic instructions.

e-mail: info@socalprc.com

Mark
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-01-2008, 6:13 PM
Vu 308's Avatar
Vu 308 Vu 308 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 2,361
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

WTF over.....who dropped.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-01-2008, 8:56 PM
Spaniard's Avatar
Spaniard Spaniard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Inland Empire
Posts: 376
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Timberwolf,
But he may RO at the SCPRC, so he's looking into his schedule.

Spaniard-Mark
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Timberwolf's Avatar
Timberwolf Timberwolf is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Antelope Valley
Posts: 6,301
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Sad but true - work, range duties, setting up the smallbore match program, running 1 now 2 matches per month and prepping for N/S has left very little time for myself . . . besides test firing my own courses of fire I've had no meaningful training and trigger time (I don't count zeroing customers rifles or banging the buff to stir the crowd as meaningful) since last year so I'm opening my slot for someone who may be more prepped than me but wasn't able to get in on time.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-01-2008, 10:06 PM
PistolPete75's Avatar
PistolPete75 PistolPete75 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,216
iTrader: 44 / 100%
Default

I am looking forward to the .22lr match. The savage might be my main rifle for the next year's shooting season.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-01-2008, 10:35 PM
pottymouth310's Avatar
pottymouth310 pottymouth310 is offline
CGSSA Leader
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SoCal.
Posts: 841
iTrader: 21 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
If any of you know someone who would like to shoot in the SCPRC, we have 1 open position available.

Send me an e-mail asap if you have a friend or know someone who is familiar with bolt rifle events and would like to compete. Veteran or newbie makes no difference as long as their safe and can follow basic instructions.

e-mail: info@socalprc.com

Mark
for when?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-02-2008, 5:48 AM
Spaniard's Avatar
Spaniard Spaniard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Inland Empire
Posts: 376
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

The SCPRC is July 12/13. There are 3 or 4 interested parties and as I mentioned to those others, first one that commits is in. Most are checking schedules since it is a 2 day match held at West End Gun Club.

Mark

www.socalprc.com

e-mail: info@socalrpc.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-02-2008, 7:36 AM
Vu 308's Avatar
Vu 308 Vu 308 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 2,361
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Sad but true - work, range duties, setting up the smallbore match program, running 1 now 2 matches per month and prepping for N/S has left very little time for myself . . . besides test firing my own courses of fire I've had no meaningful training and trigger time (I don't count zeroing customers rifles or banging the buff to stir the crowd as meaningful) since last year so I'm opening my slot for someone who may be more prepped than me but wasn't able to get in on time.


Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnn now. First my match, now Marks? Most of the people there don't train. I havent pulled the trigger on my bolt rifle in over a month now.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-02-2008, 8:57 AM
Timberwolf's Avatar
Timberwolf Timberwolf is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Antelope Valley
Posts: 6,301
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vu 308 View Post
Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnn now. First my match, now Marks? Most of the people there don't train. I havent pulled the trigger on my bolt rifle in over a month now.
Wish it were different believe me but this year has been a doosey - work, range, matches, wife had major surgery in May and just now getting back to work (explains part of why I've been working every weekend), setting up the 22 matches, giving classes etc etc etc - I'm not complaining though - don't worry Vu next year should be settled some and I can actually compete a little again - hell we may even need to get a little side thing going at N/S - of course I'm sure you'll whoop my rusty butt
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-02-2008, 9:46 AM
Novadesigns's Avatar
Novadesigns Novadesigns is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Glendale, CA
Posts: 1,183
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Sorry I couldn't take your spot Bill. I'm sure someone will.

I'll be GTG for next years match. And maybe I'll be good enough to actually score some points too! One can dream.
__________________
NRA
IDPA
USPSA
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Vu 308's Avatar
Vu 308 Vu 308 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 2,361
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Wish it were different believe me but this year has been a doosey - work, range, matches, wife had major surgery in May and just now getting back to work (explains part of why I've been working every weekend), setting up the 22 matches, giving classes etc etc etc - I'm not complaining though - don't worry Vu next year should be settled some and I can actually compete a little again - hell we may even need to get a little side thing going at N/S - of course I'm sure you'll whoop my rusty butt
Understandable man. I am hoping to pull the trigger more in 2009 as well.

Ed Eckhoff has joined the NCPPRC crew to put on bi-monthly 22 tactical rim fire match on our steel range. He was very inspired by your match and the article on 6mmbr.com This frees me up 6 matches a year.

Looking forward to North Vs South.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-02-2008, 10:48 AM
PistolPete75's Avatar
PistolPete75 PistolPete75 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,216
iTrader: 44 / 100%
Default

mayby next year we can do a north vs south in .22lr?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Vu 308's Avatar
Vu 308 Vu 308 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 2,361
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Doubtful since North Vs south will be hosted by NCPPRC and we will be using the 1K range and 550 yard steel range.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Vu 308's Avatar
Vu 308 Vu 308 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 2,361
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Big boy range..big boy range...big boy guns LOL
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-02-2008, 11:22 AM
rksimple's Avatar
rksimple rksimple is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: T-Town
Posts: 6,216
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Same rules? We going to have a 308/open setup?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-02-2008, 11:44 AM
wildcard's Avatar
wildcard wildcard is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 4,914
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksimple View Post
Same rules? We going to have a 308/open setup?
Thinking about going into the "Open Class" with a .223 to give them a chance?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-02-2008, 11:46 AM
rksimple's Avatar
rksimple rksimple is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: T-Town
Posts: 6,216
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
Thinking about going into the "Open Class" with a .223 to give them a chance?
Nah, maybe a 17hmr to make it sporting.

I hope to have a 6.5 or 6mm of sorts by next year. We'll see.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Timberwolf's Avatar
Timberwolf Timberwolf is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Antelope Valley
Posts: 6,301
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Hopefully if all falls into place I'll have my old school 30-06 M70 built by early next year. Do I get any special targets since I'll be using 40 year old technology (that is if I can score a vintage Unertl 10X target scope) and no bi-pod.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-02-2008, 12:02 PM
wildcard's Avatar
wildcard wildcard is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 4,914
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
that is if I can score a vintage Unertl 10X target scope
That's going to cost you..
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Timberwolf's Avatar
Timberwolf Timberwolf is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Antelope Valley
Posts: 6,301
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
That's going to cost you..
Usually no more than a good tactical scope (800 - 1200) but they're getting scarce. I also want one with a medium cross-hair instead of fine (can't see the fine very well) which makes it even harder.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-02-2008, 3:15 PM
PistolPete75's Avatar
PistolPete75 PistolPete75 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,216
iTrader: 44 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vu 308 View Post
Big boy range..big boy range...big boy guns LOL
shooting a .22lr in windy conditions would have the same difficulty as shooting a true Hipower/Big Bore rifle like a .308

i have nothing to prove to anyone. shooting a .22lr match would be as fun as shooting a regular hipower match.

plus, there is less of an arms race in a .22lr match which keeps it more fun in my opinion.

i don't compete for "status" like most people do. i just like to shoot and go to matches to improve the skills.

winning comps doesn't improve your lifestyle or actually give you any benefits in life, it's just a hobby for over 95% of the shooters. it's actually an expensive hobby for most avid shooters, plus it takes up a lot of time. keep it real or join the military. everyone else is just a bunch of weekend warriors like myself.

i've done the whole status thing in real life. it doesn't get you anywhere either. big house, nice car, jewelry, etc. it all doesn't mean anything or have real value. chasing status is a never, ending story. it's like a dog chasing it's tale. my 2 cents.

Last edited by PistolPete75; 07-02-2008 at 3:43 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-02-2008, 4:21 PM
wildcard's Avatar
wildcard wildcard is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 4,914
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

I personally like competition. It keeps you sharp.. gives you a chance to shoot with the best.. and lets you know where you stand.

I think .22 LR is fun.. but it lacks the same degree of skillsets necessary in Tac Precision.

Shooting probably doesn't improve your lifestyle.. but it sure improves the quality of life through fulfillment if it's something you enjoy doing. But like everything else (including the things that people enjoy doing) it takes time and money.

I'll admit it.. I love the spirit of competition and seeing how I rank. Gets the adrenaline pumping and sometimes lets you get a piece of the prize table

Strive to be the best.. but acknowledge that there's always/ will be someone better.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-02-2008, 4:45 PM
Timberwolf's Avatar
Timberwolf Timberwolf is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Antelope Valley
Posts: 6,301
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
I think .22 LR is fun.. but it lacks the same degree of skillsets necessary in Tac Precision.
I know of at least 12 people that would highly disagree with you - the skill sets required to drive a 22LR at 50 to 200 yards accurately are the same if not tougher than those required to drive a 308 100 - 600 yards with the same degree of accuracy. Thats why we started training with 22LRs.

Be there on 0809 and I bet when all is said and done you'll amend your thinking.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-02-2008, 4:46 PM
Novadesigns's Avatar
Novadesigns Novadesigns is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Glendale, CA
Posts: 1,183
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Different strokes and all that... we all get something different out of it. As long as we're all having fun, being nice and helpful to each other and being safe about it, its all good.

I love .22. I've shot it since I was 9 and the thing I really like about the tac/prec stuff is it challenges you to push the boundaries of what's possible. Most shooters never get off the bench and try something new. I shot .22lr for years at no further than 50 yards, chasing smaller and smaller groups. It was fun until I was locking the rifle down so far that I was nothing more than a monkey flipping the switch... everything else was high $$$ machinery and ammo.
I never ever considered shooting it out to 200, 300 or even 400 yards! Nobody does that with .22lr! But damn its really fun and has a whole new world of challenges.

.308 (and up) is indeed a different animal for 2 big reasons to me: recoil and distance.
.22s are easy to hold and fire, all day long. And when you're shooting at less than 200 yards you can see what you're trying to hit pretty easily. Shooting at 1,000 yards + its difficult to see what you're doing without a big spotting scope, hell even 500 yards is hard for my old, crappy eyes.

And recoil is something I'm still coming to terms with. Its brutally unforgiving of a sloppy hold. And I have to have a much heavier rifle in order to handle it, so offhand is much more challenging too.

I have a lot to learn and to practice. But the upside is I'm not bored with shooting any more!
__________________
NRA
IDPA
USPSA
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-02-2008, 5:21 PM
Cypriss32's Avatar
Cypriss32 Cypriss32 is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Farm Land........
Posts: 5,671
iTrader: 143 / 100%
Default

Your 06 might be as cool as mine! Whos building it again? You run a 1-10tw, top feeder? That new bottom metal for AICS mags can be made for m70 L/A now. Mine feeds fine threw the mags.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-02-2008, 5:27 PM
Timberwolf's Avatar
Timberwolf Timberwolf is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Antelope Valley
Posts: 6,301
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypriss32 View Post
Your 06 might be as cool as mine! Whos building it again? You run a 1-10tw, top feeder? That new bottom metal for AICS mags can be made for m70 L/A now. Mine feeds fine threw the mags.
Mike Lau will be building it - it will be a early 60s M70 sniper rifle with either a 10 or 12X (I know the USMC used 8X or 10X but I need a little more) Unertl scope. It'll be true to form with a pre 64 action, and will be in a sporter stock that has had its barrel channel opened to accomodate a med varmint barrel. No bipod - will be shooting either slung up or off a ruck
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-02-2008, 5:42 PM
Cypriss32's Avatar
Cypriss32 Cypriss32 is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Farm Land........
Posts: 5,671
iTrader: 143 / 100%
Default

Cool.... You working this weekend? Need to have you crono my loads and sight in the rifles.....
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-02-2008, 5:44 PM
Spaniard's Avatar
Spaniard Spaniard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Inland Empire
Posts: 376
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

The open slot has been filled.

Spaniard
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-02-2008, 8:03 PM
PistolPete75's Avatar
PistolPete75 PistolPete75 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,216
iTrader: 44 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
I personally like competition. It keeps you sharp.. gives you a chance to shoot with the best.. and lets you know where you stand.

I think .22 LR is fun.. but it lacks the same degree of skillsets necessary in Tac Precision.

Shooting probably doesn't improve your lifestyle.. but it sure improves the quality of life through fulfillment if it's something you enjoy doing. But like everything else (including the things that people enjoy doing) it takes time and money.

I'll admit it.. I love the spirit of competition and seeing how I rank. Gets the adrenaline pumping and sometimes lets you get a piece of the prize table

Strive to be the best.. but acknowledge that there's always/ will be someone better.

I never said anything about competition being bad, but it can very easily stir up certain human emotions that does cause tension between people. Competition brings people to reach new levels which is good. The flip side is when people are serious about things, they can take things out of perspective. This is just one of those human behavorial traits that can bit you in the ***. Pride, the feeling that one is superior than others, can cause alot of trouble.

What I meant was don't be knocking .22lr tactical shooting just because it's a .22lr A .22lr has inferior bc, infact crappy bc which just makes it harder to shoot it in the wind than a .308 with a hi-powered scope or a wind fighting .243 or .260 with a high bc bullet.

In terms of why people shoot and why people compete, that is a whole new topic and theory that I came to. I personally like to shoot for fun. I believe in it's pure form that why a person should be shooting for. Otherwise, it's for something else rather than shooting but for personal gratification for various reasons depending on the individual. Some peope shoot for a "reality" escape from life, work, and all of everyday life struggles. Some believe they are Rambo-type, Super-sniper guy that escapes from their "plain" and borring life (it's a form of self identification with a subculture and a pretending of being something that they are not cause they feel unhappy about their own personal life, i.e. the lieing "ex-sniper, seal, green beret, etc." at the local range or gun store). Some shoot for reconition amongst peers/family to feel accepted perhaps to having a lack of acceptance from peers/family in their "early" years (the feeling of being in a club and being accepted). Some shoot for a bonding experience with their son. Some shoot cause they simply are real good at it, and when people are good at something they feel they are at the top of their "class" which gives them stature amongst their peers. And the list goes on... Point of all this gibber jabber is that amongst all the competition, matches, etc. weather your a poor shooter or a good shooter be respectful of other shooters. The one common bond we all have is shooting. Don't let shooting and other things like pride, etc. get in the way before relationships. Simply said, we all should just shut up and shoot.

Last edited by PistolPete75; 07-02-2008 at 8:42 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-02-2008, 8:41 PM
wildcard's Avatar
wildcard wildcard is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 4,914
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Be there on 0809 and I bet when all is said and done you'll amend your thinking.
You promise?
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-02-2008, 9:36 PM
Pascal Pascal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 229
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

"I think .22 LR is fun.. but it lacks the same degree of skillsets necessary in Tac Precision. "

Jason,

I thought the same thing but doing the match changed my opinion.

It's the same mental game (which for me is 50% of a match)

U got more stages which allows you to catch up if u do mistakes.

You need to use the same skills albeit on a short distance

But my opinion after the match was... IT FEELS THE SAME!

It really does...try it
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Timberwolf's Avatar
Timberwolf Timberwolf is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Antelope Valley
Posts: 6,301
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypriss32 View Post
Cool.... You working this weekend? Need to have you crono my loads and sight in the rifles.....
Of course I'm working
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-03-2008, 8:03 AM
Vu 308's Avatar
Vu 308 Vu 308 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 2,361
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete75 View Post
shooting a .22lr in windy conditions would have the same difficulty as shooting a true Hipower/Big Bore rifle like a .308

i have nothing to prove to anyone. shooting a .22lr match would be as fun as shooting a regular hipower match.

plus, there is less of an arms race in a .22lr match which keeps it more fun in my opinion.

i don't compete for "status" like most people do. i just like to shoot and go to matches to improve the skills.

winning comps doesn't improve your lifestyle or actually give you any benefits in life, it's just a hobby for over 95% of the shooters. it's actually an expensive hobby for most avid shooters, plus it takes up a lot of time. keep it real or join the military. everyone else is just a bunch of weekend warriors like myself.

i've done the whole status thing in real life. it doesn't get you anywhere either. big house, nice car, jewelry, etc. it all doesn't mean anything or have real value. chasing status is a never, ending story. it's like a dog chasing it's tale. my 2 cents.

LOL..come on now Pete. 22LR is fun and challenging in it's own arena. Great training and great fun. But shooting a 22LR out to 200 to 250 or even 300 is not the same as shooting out to 1K or beyond.

It's not about proving things or status. We are high power LR shooters. Not 22 small bore shooters. The 22LR is a great training rig and we plan to build a bunch of them up here.

"winning comps doesn't improve your lifestyle or actually give you any benefits in life, it's just a hobby for over 95% of the shooters. it's actually an expensive hobby for most avid shooters, plus it takes up a lot of time. keep it real or join the military. everyone else is just a bunch of weekend warriors like myself."

What does this have to do with shooting? LOL Come on man. Keep it real or join the military???? So if a guy takes competitive shooting seriously he should join up?

Expensive? Time consuming? Tell me what hobby isn't?

Someone mentioned 22LR for next years North Vs South. I simply said no...we have a 1K range and a 550 yard steel range. Twolfs putting it on at APS this year so we're taking 12 guys to see where we stack up against you guys. All in good fun and pride of the different "shooting clubs"

For fun? Sure. For pride? Hell yah. Whooping *** is a whole lot more valueable than any prize that can be pulled off a table.

I mean why bother having a custom rifle and all the hardware if you just "messing around" You can do that with a 5R and a super sniper and be good to go.


"i've done the whole status thing in real life. it doesn't get you anywhere either. big house, nice car, jewelry, etc. it all doesn't mean anything or have real value. chasing status is a never, ending story. it's like a dog chasing it's tale."

Still don't understand where this comes in on shooting competition.


And if you think status has to do with material things..you still got a lot to learn my friend....but that is another thread and another post.

Last edited by Vu 308; 07-03-2008 at 8:06 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-03-2008, 8:21 AM
Vu 308's Avatar
Vu 308 Vu 308 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 2,361
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete75 View Post
In terms of why people shoot and why people compete, that is a whole new topic and theory that I came to. I personally like to shoot for fun. I believe in it's pure form that why a person should be shooting for. Otherwise, it's for something else rather than shooting but for personal gratification for various reasons depending on the individual. Some peope shoot for a "reality" escape from life, work, and all of everyday life struggles. Some believe they are Rambo-type, Super-sniper guy that escapes from their "plain" and borring life (it's a form of self identification with a subculture and a pretending of being something that they are not cause they feel unhappy about their own personal life, i.e. the lieing "ex-sniper, seal, green beret, etc." at the local range or gun store). Some shoot for reconition amongst peers/family to feel accepted perhaps to having a lack of acceptance from peers/family in their "early" years (the feeling of being in a club and being accepted). Some shoot for a bonding experience with their son. Some shoot cause they simply are real good at it, and when people are good at something they feel they are at the top of their "class" which gives them stature amongst their peers. And the list goes on... Point of all this gibber jabber is that amongst all the competition, matches, etc. weather your a poor shooter or a good shooter be respectful of other shooters. The one common bond we all have is shooting. Don't let shooting and other things like pride, etc. get in the way before relationships. Simply said, we all should just shut up and shoot.
Pete,

Shooting for fun is fine and the majority of people do that.

Personally, I have always been a competitive person. Competed in all different type of things from mtn bike racing to drag racing.

I have fun each and every time I pull the trigger with the guys on the range but on the other hand each one of us is out there to win. Not do OK, not hope to hit the target, but to win and to know on that day, in those conditions, among your peers, you were at the top of your game.

Do I look down on the guy that just comes out to plink or pull the trigger? Nah. I think that is great. The more shooters we have the better off we are, especially in CA. You and I are in the same boat no matter how different our opinions might be on other things.

Up here we have about 50/50. 50 of the guys up here are in it to win. The other half just come out and have a good time with the boys, escape their wives, their crying rug rats, their jobs, their whatever. + the BBQ. LOL

Bottom line is to each their own. Donít knock the guy having a good time or the guy that pours his heart and soul into this game. Some guys just like to be on top and to win. I am one of those guys. Do I win? HELL NAH. But I try. =)

Edited to add: who is brining beer next weekend?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-03-2008, 9:09 AM
PistolPete75's Avatar
PistolPete75 PistolPete75 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,216
iTrader: 44 / 100%
Default

I'm simply saying don't knock .22lr shooting. That's it. You and I can be on totally different tangents, but I won't hold that against you.

In terms of status, I meant in terms like social status which can be interpreted by material things and/or within peers for the mere sake of trying to earns someone's respect by buying things or doing things that they think will impress others. It's all the same thing except for "natural" status which is given by nobel actions and deeds, for one having a strong moral character. This is the only status that truely holds value in life. Something that can't never be bought and is truely earned.

Anyways, I'll bring the beers. None of these remarks are targeted against you. I'm simply stating that I haven't really been on this forum for a few months, and now that I'm back it still feels the same from where it left off. There are many more members of this precision forum that have joined within the last few months. With more people, there are more personality differences. I don't want it to be like SH where people fight and bicker. This is a local forum of which most shooters see each other quite often. It would be nice if things on topic stay on a friendly level. I think ultimately it would bring more people in on the board.

And on a side note, I've been trying to control my own anger. When I get fustrated, I get angry. It's a natural defense mechanism that I have built in me. I must have picked it up cause when I was little, I used to have to fight my way around the neighborhood. Being the only asain around the block, I had to kick *** or be kicked. I apoligize for my harsh words a few months ago.

I'm saying I see certain things between people or certain words that are talked between people. I myself rather not be involved in any of the bs. I started shooting cause it was a solo sport, but I meet alot of nice guys from this board. I rather shoot with a bunch of friends that can still be competitive yet keep things cool without smart remarks and that kind of stuff that brings tension amongst others. Otherwise it's the same **** that goes on in life. I don't need the drama.

Last edited by PistolPete75; 07-03-2008 at 9:31 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-03-2008, 9:49 AM
wildcard's Avatar
wildcard wildcard is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 4,914
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Ryan:
So you going up to NorCal this Saturday or you going to come wander the forest? Stay over friday and have some good pho!

Pete and Ryan:
So we going to Angeles or setting up paper in the desert this Sunday?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-03-2008, 9:57 AM
rksimple's Avatar
rksimple rksimple is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: T-Town
Posts: 6,216
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

I'm hitting the forest with you guys. Friday night the wife has a BBQ planned, so no pho for me. Joe called me yesterday and has the plywood all ready for the desert on Sunday. There are some natural drop offs and steep hills out there where we can set up the targets and use the drop offs like pits. Bring your radios.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-03-2008, 10:03 AM
PistolPete75's Avatar
PistolPete75 PistolPete75 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,216
iTrader: 44 / 100%
Default

I would love to shoot on sunday, but I think Angeles would be ideal for practice shooting for the match. I can still do the desert though.

If we do the desert thing, we should stick to shooting uphill/downhill shooting. No need to go past 600yards for scprc.

by the way, pho 999 has the best pho. i'll take a large 19 with a tai ice tea.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-03-2008, 10:08 AM
PistolPete75's Avatar
PistolPete75 PistolPete75 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,216
iTrader: 44 / 100%
Default

Dude I'm trying to close up a deal. I've gotten to the point where I'm paying for her hotel fees till she buys a house. If I close this deal, I get to do the next one which would be a million dollar purchase. This would be the only reason by any chance if I have to work on sunday. Predisclosure.

So far we are house hunting to day. Hopefully putting in another offer today. If that happens, I'm good to go.

Last edited by PistolPete75; 07-03-2008 at 10:11 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-03-2008, 10:10 AM
wildcard's Avatar
wildcard wildcard is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 4,914
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete75 View Post
I would love to shoot on sunday, but I think Angeles would be ideal for practice shooting for the match. I can still do the desert though.

If we do the desert thing, we should stick to shooting uphill/downhill shooting. No need to go past 600yards for scprc.

by the way, pho 999 has the best pho. i'll take a large 19 with a tai ice tea.
Angeles and the Desert both have major advantages and disadvantages as far as getting ready for SCPRC goes.

Angeles will let you shoot steel out to 600 yds at a similar altitude.
Desert will let us shoot paper out to 600 yds at a higher altitude.

I like the desert idea because then we can also shoot at 25 yds and 50 yds. Plus I've only shot my setup 3 times so I haven't got any solid dope yet. If the paint on the targets at Angeles is chewed up, then we're SOL.

Everyone thinks that their Pho place is the best.. I demand a taste test!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:08 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.