Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Calguns Foundation (CGF)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2008, 7:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
We are solidly approaching $25K total raised since inception. The main item holding us back from more routine reporting on the finance side is setting up our accounting software.

Also, we need to be a bit careful detailing which cases were spending on for strategic reasons regarding the other side.

-Gene
That is... impressive to say the least. I totally agree that you shouldn't divulge how you spent you money WHILE cases are in progress. After they are done and paid for - that were I would like to see the accounting.
WTB: CZ452
Old 07-07-2008, 7:27 PM
No, I am not a Moderator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblat View Post
That is... impressive to say the least. I totally agree that you shouldn't divulge how you spent you money WHILE cases are in progress. After they are done and paid for - that were I would like to see the accounting.
I'm pretty sure our tax returns will be public. Either way we'll likely provide pie chart like data with categories for defense cases, civil suits, G&A (read various bank and filing fees), education and outreach - those sorts of categories and percentages.

Let us get the rest of the startup administrivia out of the way (like insurance and our 501(c)(3) exemption complete) and we'll be figuring out how best to report.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 07-07-2008, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
I'm pretty sure our tax returns will be public. Either way we'll likely provide pie chart like data with categories for defense cases, civil suits, G&A (read various bank and filing fees), education and outreach - those sorts of categories and percentages.

Let us get the rest of the startup administrivia out of the way (like insurance and our 501(c)(3) exemption complete) and we'll be figuring out how best to report.

-Gene

Either way we're with you Gene, for our rights, till the end (sorry I just finished watching The 300) Best damm movie I've seen on so far.

Quote:
45ACP putting human garbage to rest since 1911
Old 07-12-2008, 2:16 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswp View Post
I would like to make a contribution, and have a question: Does the CGF charter state that all funds are to be expended solely within California? And spent solely by CGF, not handed to NRA or other entities on CGF's behalf?
We're not a pass-thru for NRA if that's what you're worried about. CGF and NRA may someday co-sponsor a case, but that's about it.

Frankly, while most of us are NRA (life) members, myself included, many of us feel that NRA's hands are a little too tied by the inertia of the organization, and the political stigma. We admire their work and will take their calls, but we are SEPARATE organizations!

Think of NRA as the Infantry, and of CGF as some British Special Forces that agreed to help out. You never saw us, but suddenly there are a whole lot less bad guys to mop up.

Lastly, CGF has much less overhead than NRA, so more of your $ go straight to the causes.

I will end this by encouraging you to donate to both NRA and CGF (and generally not wasting your time with any other 'me too' 2a organization, with the exception of the Cato Institue.) *AND* to contribute regularly right here on calguns.net

Another unique aspect to CGF, you have ready access (both formally and informally) to the Chairman and most other Board Members right here on calguns.net.

See a hot button issue? Send a PM to me or gene or bill.

Keep those donations coming, though we are doing very well and have managed to raise over $10k in one night, right now we have more cases to assist with than we have $ with which do so.

Watch for more upcoming announcements on cases CGF is supporting. Lawyers already have the money, and the press releases are literally being drafted right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblat View Post
It would be highly educational to see some accounting numbers..... let's say once a quarter?
I just donated $100, (second time - first went to law firm directly, before you setup) and prepared to do quarterly, but no offense - I don't want to be the only one donating.
Thanks for your donation! $100 is great, even $10 helps a LOT!

As treasurer, I can tell you that eventually detailed and transparent accounting will happen, we need a bit more infrastructure (including our basic accounting system, some more volunteers versed in it, 501(c)3 legally in effect, etc.) first. These will take a few months, meanwhile Servicemen are being unjustly arrested on the 4th. (grrrrrr! that makes me mad, and when treasurer of CGF get mad, money gets spent on lawyers!

I like the idea of a "thermometer" to chart donations, maybe even separate ones for cal-guns

There'll be a big announcement (for the better!) in the 2A finance world in a few months, that will help change things.

If it helps, we raised over ten grand the first night we opened up to paypal donations.

Yes, that's $10,000USD in 24 hours.

When you donate to The Calguns Foundation, you're in good company!

Postings are my own, and are not formal positions of any other entity, or legal advice.

Last edited by artherd; 07-12-2008 at 2:17 AM.. Reason: cause I'm funny like that.
Old 07-12-2008, 5:55 AM

I've just donated. will do so every month! thanks guy's.
Old 07-12-2008, 7:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by artherd
We're not a pass-thru for NRA if that's what you're worried about. CGF and NRA may someday co-sponsor a case, but that's about it.

Frankly, while most of us are NRA (life) members, myself included, many of us feel that NRA's hands are a little too tied by the inertia of the organization, and the political stigma. We admire their work and will take their calls, but we are SEPARATE organizations!

Think of NRA as the Infantry, and of CGF as some British Special Forces that agreed to help out. You never saw us, but suddenly there are a whole lot less bad guys to mop up.

Lastly, CGF has much less overhead than NRA, so more of your $ go straight to the causes.
Thanks for further clarifying. CGF will get my donation.
Old 07-14-2008, 4:07 PM
Unintended Consequences
CGN Contributor

Money in...good luck, and thanks for your continuing efforts.
Old 07-17-2008, 7:23 AM

Sent money$$$$, will send money every month, I want this insidious ban to go down in flames with a passion.
Old 07-18-2008, 8:58 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Thanks again guys, keep 'em coming, and tell your friends!

Postings are my own, and are not formal positions of any other entity, or legal advice.
Old 07-18-2008, 9:13 AM

donation sent.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

$25 on the way ASAP via Money Order..
Old 07-20-2008, 7:14 PM
Veteran Member

I just kicked $200 into the kitty. Hopefully you guys will do more than just chase the AW ban, because the lack of CCW in my county is what really chafes my hide.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just sent in my money. I will do my best to sent funds every month. I think that everyone on this forum should at least kick in a dollar.... at the very least.
Old 07-21-2008, 1:37 PM

I am a new member here that feels that the recent Supreme Court decision has given gun and freedom lovers a resurgence. We are stronger now than we have ever been. Momentum is ours. The force is with us. The struggle must be escalated. That’s why I joined and donated $30.00 today and will continue to donate. I am also talking to co-workers about the right to self-defense. I am inviting neighbors to come shooting with me. I am trying to change hearts and minds.

Pete
Old 07-21-2008, 2:45 PM
Veteran Member

I uped my donation to $30.. I don't have a lot of money right now, I will do the best I can to send some whenever I can!
Old 07-21-2008, 11:28 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Guys, as treasurer I can tell you it is the little donations that are making the impact. Keep them coming, and tell your friends.

And thank you!
-Ben.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

money inbound, with automatic payments setup. in case no one has already mentioned it, please try and pay via check, m/o, or online using your banking bill pay rather than by PayPal. we don't need PayPal getting any of our money for contributions to this foundation.
Old 07-24-2008, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTKrockeTT View Post
money inbound, with automatic payments setup. in case no one has already mentioned it, please try and pay via check, m/o, or online using your banking bill pay rather than by PayPal. we don't need PayPal getting any of our money for contributions to this foundation.
I may be wrong, but I dont think paypal is getting a penny from these donations. I know they charge a fee when you sell on ebay, but for private donations/transactions such as this I dont think they charge a fee.

Again, I may be wrong. Paypal is the most convenient for some people. I probably would have put it off if it meant I had to get off my hide and get a money order, stamp an envelope and pop it in the mail.
Old 07-24-2008, 1:55 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwall View Post
I may be wrong, but I dont think paypal is getting a penny from these donations. I know they charge a fee when you sell on ebay, but for private donations/transactions such as this I dont think they charge a fee.

Again, I may be wrong. Paypal is the most convenient for some people. I probably would have put it off if it meant I had to get off my hide and get a money order, stamp an envelope and pop it in the mail.
I may be wrong myself, but the below is from PayPal's website.

Quote:
* Nonprofit transaction fees are 1.9% - 2.2% + $.30 USD; previous rate was 1.9% - 2.9% + $.30 USD. All eligible nonprofits must register at [link tbd] to receive the nonprofit pricing. To be eligible, your must have documented 501(c)(3) status or you will not receive the reduced nonprofit transaction fees. This applies to new and existing PayPal accounts.
Old 07-24-2008, 2:00 PM
CGN Contributor

paypal fees depend on the type of account you have with them, and what types of payments that you can receive. https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...y-fees-outside

If you don't want to use Paypal and actually sending an envelop payment is too much work, take a look at your bank's on-line bill pay services. I can log into my account and have the bank send out a check to anybody I want for me.

I just made another bill pay to CGF just now, real easy, no need to write a check/buy an MO, label an envelope and waste a stamp. Free through the bank.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 07-24-2008, 5:53 PM

oops... Nevermind. SCREW PAYPAL! and ebay for that matter.
Old 07-25-2008, 5:26 PM

Check is in the mail...
Old 07-25-2008, 11:12 PM

Dido on mailing the check. Its on its way.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:56 PM

These checks and bill pays come to my desk. It's a real pleasure in my day to see folks helping stand up for all of our rights.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 07-29-2008, 7:41 PM

Bumped up. Donation sent.

كافر - Infidel

NRA PATRON MEMBER
Old 08-21-2008, 4:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just to confirm,, which address is more correct?

The one from this thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?t=108030):

The Calguns Foundation
3200 Bridge Parkway Suite 202C
Redwood City, CA 94065

or the one from the site (http://calgunsfoundation.org/main/index.php/donate):

The Calguns Foundation
c/o The Law Offices of Don Kilmer
1645 Willow Street, Suite 150
San Jose, CA 95125
Old 09-01-2008, 1:28 PM
CGN Contributor

Just donated! Thanks!
Old 09-01-2008, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectrexer View Post
Just to confirm,, which address is more correct?

The one from this thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?t=108030):

The Calguns Foundation
3200 Bridge Parkway Suite 202C
Redwood City, CA 94065

or the one from the site (http://calgunsfoundation.org/main/index.php/donate):

The Calguns Foundation
c/o The Law Offices of Don Kilmer
1645 Willow Street, Suite 150
San Jose, CA 95125
They will both work but we prefer 3200 Bridge Parkway Suite 202C now.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 09-01-2008, 9:22 PM

So is CGF through pissing funds away against UOC?

When you are and only then, I will donate funds to the foundation. I have kept my mouth shut on the UOC event that should not have happened in the first place.

I like the new attitude "you are on your own" with UOC.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Vendor/Retailer

In the pre-incorporation universe; unless it becomes strategically significant, you are unlikely to see any more cases regarding UOC from CGF in a long time.

We're not interested or able to provide legal insurance, instead we're going after the laws themselves.

So you may see CGF one day eliminate the law that prohibits say, LOADED OC, and even eliminate 'gun free' radiuses that hamper UOC. But frankly right now we have other battles to fight.

Old 09-02-2008, 1:43 PM
Banned

What's the best nation in the world?

The Donation. I just made mine. You should receive it next week on the 9th. If not please let me know.
Old 09-19-2008, 2:30 PM

Just donated $100. Also willing to help in any other way I can.
Old 09-19-2008, 2:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Rounder View Post
So is CGF through pissing funds away against UOC?

When you are and only then, I will donate funds to the foundation. I have kept my mouth shut on the UOC event that should not have happened in the first place.

I like the new attitude "you are on your own" with UOC.
It's pretty much always been the case. But that specific case was interesting and low-cost and it helped send an initial msg that may help others in that area in the future; we're always focused on other items on our plate which are starting to get some wind in their sails. Quite a few donors had sent in targeted donations for this, so it's not like it was a major thing.

It was also a bit irresistable given that it was a (1) US Marine (2) on the 4th of July

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 09-21-2008, 9:03 PM
Veteran Member

I will be mailing a check Wednesday as soon as I get paid..
Old 09-21-2008, 9:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Donation

Paypal sent 9/10/08

What is UOC?

Last edited by bigbob76; 09-21-2008 at 9:56 PM.. Reason: added question "What is UOC"
Old 09-21-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob76 View Post
What is UOC?
Unloaded Open Carry.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 09-24-2008, 9:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Any updates on ways we can donate time?
In Pennsylvania Your permit to carry concealed is called a License to carry fire arms. Other states call it a CCW. In New Jersey it's called a crime.
Discretionary Issue is the new Separate but Equal.
Old 09-24-2008, 7:26 PM

paypald today...
Old 09-24-2008, 7:27 PM

paypald today...
Old 10-26-2008, 5:02 PM
CGN Contributor

small check sent.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.