Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-26-2008, 6:11 PM
Banned

Default Harrington & Richardson vs. Springfield Garand

Okay, I'm filling out my CMP forms to order a Garand but I've got a choice between an H&R or a Springfield.

Anyone have an opinion on this one way or the other? If so, what's the reasoning?
Old 06-26-2008, 6:46 PM
Banned

Fewer HRAs made. Have slightly more collectible rifle, but unless all parts are original, it doesn't really matter that much. Are you looking for a shooter? If so, go with the one with the smaller TE and ME. Try to get a "correct grade" if you can, otherwise go with the "service grade." Just my 2c.
Old 06-26-2008, 6:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Actually, the better choice is to order both. You know you want to.

Do it.

DO IT.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 06-26-2008, 6:55 PM

It depends on what you are looking for. The Springfields are older rifles while the HR's are later models. When I ordered by M1 from the CMP I wanted a rifle that may have been used during WWII. I wrote a handwritten note and included it with my order asking for one and CMP delivered a Springer who's serial number would have put it in the WWII range.

Also, I wanted a shooter and not a collector. I read up on the various gun forums about which type of rifle to order...rack grade, service grade, collector grade....The consensus was a SG was the way to go because the TE and ME were less and the overall appearance was better. If I recall correctly, a few years back they actually ran out SG and CG rifles. I seem to remember they received a new shipment of lend-lease rifles back from another country and that's why they are selling SG and CG agains.
Old 06-26-2008, 7:09 PM
Banned

I am looking for a shooter. They have the "Correct Grade" H&Rs and Springers but they're almost double the price, not that I'm being cheap, I just don't feel it's appropriate to wear out a piece of American Herritage like that.

Maybe in a few years I can get a correct grade International (which is what I would really want for a collector's gun) but for now, I want a shooter...
Old 06-26-2008, 9:14 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Get the HRA.. I seriously doubt the average shooter will wear out a Garand. The HRA's and the post war 5mil SA's were some of the best produced Garands as there was no war production rush.

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2220
Old 06-26-2008, 9:49 PM
Banned

Well, I'd really like to have an International but CMP doesn't have any right now.

H&R it is!!!

I'll post up some pics when I get her in my hot little hands...
Old 07-04-2008, 11:07 AM

Many people feel that the H&R rifles were the finest of the USGI M1's as far as fit and finish is concerned. I would have a hard time disagreeing with that statement although the late Springfields are top notch as well.