Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 06-26-2008, 1:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Default ? re: ammo from CMP

If you go to the CMP website to order .30-06 Greek ammo, you'll find pricing on this page:

http://www.odcmp.com/ammo.htm (let's call this page #1)

Options include ammo packed in cardboard boxes versus ammo pre-loaded in clips, etc.

The cheapest option available on this page costs .3146 cents per round ($134.00 + $17 S&H for 480 rounds total, in cardboard boxes)

However, on this same page is the following link: ORDER AMMO ONLINE

which takes you to this page:

http://estore.odcmp.com/Store/catalog/catalog.aspx (let's call this page #2)

Now if you look down the left side of this page, there's another link: COMMERCIAL AMMO

which takes you here:

http://estore.odcmp.com/store/catalo...ogList&cat=AMC

(bear with me, I'm getting close to the end, I swear)

Halfway down that page is another ammo purchase option that reads:

Item ID: 415ABOX ==> HXP .30-06 Ammunition 400 rds, 20 RDS/CARTON, 20 CARTONS/BOX

Now this item costs only .28 cents per round ($96 + $16 S&H for 400 rounds total, in cardboard boxes).

MY QUESTIONS ARE:

1. Is there any difference in these kinds of ammo, or all they all the same surplus HXP?

and

2. Why is the CMP selling it for a higher cost on the Page #1 than Page #2?

Thanks.

Last edited by xrMike; 06-26-2008 at 1:13 PM..
Old 06-26-2008, 4:14 PM

Here's my .02:

1) HXP is HXP, so the ammo should be the same.

2) My guess is that the higher price ($134 for 480 rds.) is because of the way it's packaged. The ammo comes in two sardine-type cans (240 rds. each) in a nice little reusable wooden crate. While the lower priced ammo ($90 for 400 rds.) looks like it just comes in cardboard boxes. You know, kind of like how people pay $10 more for a 1/2 case of Wolf ammo in a sardine can rather than just in boxes?
Old 06-26-2008, 5:44 PM
Veteran Member

Good question, you could try the "ask orest" section of their forums. My best guess would be the same as the above poster.
Old 06-26-2008, 8:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1747 View Post
Here's my .02:

1) HXP is HXP, so the ammo should be the same.

2) My guess is that the higher price ($134 for 480 rds.) is because of the way it's packaged. The ammo comes in two sardine-type cans (240 rds. each) in a nice little reusable wooden crate. While the lower priced ammo ($90 for 400 rds.) looks like it just comes in cardboard boxes. You know, kind of like how people pay $10 more for a 1/2 case of Wolf ammo in a sardine can rather than just in boxes?
Aha! You're right -- you get the nice wood crate, and the ammo comes in those 2 sealed tins. It does make sense to pay a little more for that I guess. Plus, you know that everything you just bought came from the same manufacturing lot, so it probably shoots a little more consistent than a bunch separate cardboard boxes that might be leftovers from different lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifthspeed View Post
Good question, you could try the "ask orest" section of their forums. My best guess would be the same as the above poster.
That's OK, I think you guys figured it out. I'll just order the big crate. I've already got one filled up with reloading stuff out in the garage. I could use another.

Thanks guys.