Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:15 PM

Default Official Updated San Bernardino County Shooting Map

I searched, but could only find vague references. As it turns out it was as simple as picking up the phone and I was directed to the San Bernardino "Special Districts" website at:

http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/

and they have the map I've been looking for.... where I can "officially" shoot in San Bernardino County...

http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/do...otingAreas.pdf

hope it helps...

********************** UPDATE *********************
Maps can be downloaded online at: http://www.specialdistricts.org/index.aspx?page=172

Last edited by cybersurveyor; 01-27-2015 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: ***** UPDATE ******
Old 06-20-2008, 1:35 PM
Veteran Member

ok i guess i need help i see the map but is there any place to safely shoot or a area that you wont get a hard time in live in victorville i still can find anywhere to shoot but a range. im looking for place to go kind like how lydle creek use to be
Old 06-20-2008, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiaz792310 View Post
ok i guess i need help i see the map but is there any place to safely shoot or a area that you wont get a hard time in live in victorville i still can find anywhere to shoot but a range. im looking for place to go kind like how lydle creek use to be
According to the map, there is an area of "open" shooting just above Lytle Creek... Anywhere in the Yellow hatched area. The detail on this map really sucks an you'll have to rely on the section lines shown on the map. Section lines are also shown on a quad map. I'll see what I can do over the weekend to map this area out on a 7.5 minute quad map.

But for Victorville, I'd just go north into the desert.... page 2 of the map show's that giant sea of blue... all government owned and most controlled by BLM.... anything north of the 58 is open, day or night is my interpretation. At least it's not the county's worry... Of course you shooting into a military Radar installation that's different...

Go 4 or 5 miles past Kramer Junction and find a road off of 395 that isn't fenced or posted... find a hill to shoot against and fire away...

Last edited by cybersurveyor; 06-20-2008 at 2:15 PM..
Old 06-21-2008, 11:10 PM

Thanks for the link. I was looking for a map like this. I just wish they would have made it a little easier to read and identify the boundaries.
Old 06-22-2008, 6:48 PM

Great post cybersurveyor! I too was looking for this info. I wonder if we can purchase that map somewhere so we can get a better look at it??? If anyone knows, let me know.
Old 06-22-2008, 7:41 PM

Is it me or does this map seem to be rather old. I googled the names of the county supervisors on it and it seems to put it around 1996. and from the looks of it, they probably used a scanner from 1996 to create the file.

I've been using GeoCommunicator along with some topo maps to figure out whats where. Its a little slow but it gets the job done.
Old 06-23-2008, 7:15 AM

Good looking out. Thanks for the maps. I have been shooting by Angelus oaks just didn't know if it was legal. I think i thread the needle on it.

Last edited by ryno066; 06-23-2008 at 7:18 AM..
Old 06-23-2008, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpw001 View Post
Is it me or does this map seem to be rather old. I googled the names of the county supervisors on it and it seems to put it around 1996. and from the looks of it, they probably used a scanner from 1996 to create the file.

I've been using GeoCommunicator along with some topo maps to figure out whats where. Its a little slow but it gets the job done.
It is a pretty crappy map, but better than what I had, which is Zippo... It was a bear tracking it down, but I finally got a phone number and contact from the National Training Center and Fort Irwin web site which pointed me to the Fire Departments Special Districts Section of SB County.

Determining the boundaries is kind of difficult, but with a good quad map, it's not so bad. On the shooting map, you'll see grids and those are Township and Section Lines. A section is one square mile and a township is 6x6. You can just make out the darker township lines on sheet 1, sheet 2 is a different scale and only shows township lines.

The way Townships are Numbered:

In the desert areas shown on sheet 2, Only Township lines are shown and with a little zooming, you can JUST barely read the township designation... For Instance the upper left corner of the map has a full Township designated T25SR41E Which means Township 25 South, Range 41 East. These are numbered designations from a baseline which runs east and west and a meridian which runs north and south. I'll leave out the Meridian/Baseline thing for now or it might get confusing. Hopefully you can kinda figure out where you are within 36 square miles Any topo map based on USGS 7-1/2 minute quad maps, also show and number the section lines and townships. With a little figuring it isn't that difficult to figure out which Township and section your in, cross reference the shooting map and your golden....

More on Sections... A township contains 36 sections, 6 x 6 square miles and are always numbered starting in the northeast corner of the township. It goes from 1 to 6 from east to west at the top, then section 7 is directly south of 6 and continues from 7 to 12 west to east. Section 13 is below 12 and the zig-zag pattern continues until you end up with Section 36 in the Southeast corner of the township.... Like this....

6 5 4 3 2 1
7 8 9 10 11 12
18 17 16 15 14 13
19 20 21 22 23 24
30 29 28 27 26 25
31 32 33 34 35 36

More on Quad Maps.... Hi Res USGS quad maps for the entire state of california can be found here: http://archive.casil.ucdavis.edu/casil/maps/drg/

I prefer the 7.5 minute Albers NAD83 Untrimmed. NAD83 stands for North American Datum 1983 and isn't all that important unless your a Surveyor like me, but it is the closest to the Coordinate System that Google Earth and the other current mapping progams use which is WGS84 (World Geodetic System 1984), but, if your using a handheld GPS, you can set which coordinate system to use. Finding the right map in here can be a little tricky also, but I'm running out of time and really have to work. I'll post later on this or start a new thread...

================================================== ================================================== =============
!!!! UPDATE !!!!! Free Hi Res USGS quad maps have been moved and the interface has changed... http://atlas.ca.gov/imagerySearch.html

Select the DRG data layer for hi res tif

Last edited by cybersurveyor; 08-11-2010 at 8:33 PM.. Reason: Update
Old 06-23-2008, 10:45 AM

Ya being a surveyor made it easier for me too.

Last edited by ryno066; 04-23-2014 at 10:20 AM..
Old 04-16-2009, 5:46 PM

Default New Shooting Area Map

Just stopped by the San Bernardino County Special Districts office this week, wanted to verify where it is still legal to target shoot. They no longer have maps available, and the one on their website has seen better days. The scan doesn't provide much detail when trying to read the townships. John, an employee there, told me that he had just gotten out of a meeting dealing with the subject. They are in the process of getting together with all the relevant agencies to determine where target shooting is okay. He doesn't expect the new map to be ready until sometime this fall.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:40 AM

Surveyor... you are awesome. I, like many other here was looking for a map like this. Thanks a lot!!!

Last edited by EdCo; 04-17-2009 at 12:46 AM..
Old 04-17-2009, 1:07 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideanddive View Post
Just stopped by the San Bernardino County Special Districts office this week, wanted to verify where it is still legal to target shoot. They no longer have maps available, and the one on their website has seen better days. The scan doesn't provide much detail when trying to read the townships. John, an employee there, told me that he had just gotten out of a meeting dealing with the subject. They are in the process of getting together with all the relevant agencies to determine where target shooting is okay. He doesn't expect the new map to be ready until sometime this fall.
I thought the new shooting map was done already and they were just working out the printing issues. Now they are redoing it?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=115497
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=131895
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=133171
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?p=1943582

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 04-17-2009, 3:42 PM

Default townships

there is a file avaliable for google earth that displays the township grid... This is the easiest way to find legal places to shoot using the "special districs map".. I have the file if anyone wants it...
Old 04-17-2009, 6:20 PM

Yeah, this should be a sticky!
Like Us On Facebook: For Specials and Giveaways!

Local Hikes and Outings:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=388930
Check out the Riverside/Inland Empire Roll-Call Thread!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=137427
Old 04-19-2009, 7:23 PM

ok, I have tried looking at the map, and I went and got Google earth and found a plug in for the township overlay, but I can not figure out how to read the map, or make sense of how to use the two together. Can someone point me to some reading online so I can learn this, or is there someone near San Antonio Heights that would maybe meet me at a Starbucks or something and give me a quick lesson?

Last edited by BlkWgn; 04-21-2009 at 8:46 AM..
Old 03-31-2014, 8:16 AM

update 2014.....

http://www.specialdistricts.org/modu...documentid=306

Yes... and this! http://www.constitution.org/2ll/2ndschol/87senrpt.pdf

Good Guys with Guns HERE
Old 03-31-2014, 8:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir13 View Post
Thanks. Great info to have.