Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 06-20-2008, 5:59 AM

Default Tapco fixed 10 round SKS magazines...

....Anyone out there have one of those mounted on their SKS? If so, what do you think? Being in the PRK, I know we can't do detachable. To be honest, I like the look of this mag compared to the factory mag, but I'm concerned on exactly how well they work. I know the Tapco 20 round detachable has an good reputation, unlike most detachables that are unreliable and don't really fit that well. What I need to know is, how well do they work and are there are fit problems? I've got a Yugo in the factory stock as well as a Bubba'ed Norinco in a black folder style stock (pinned for legality, of course) that I'd thinking of going the Tapco route on....
Old 06-20-2008, 7:08 AM
Veteran Member

Your talking about the tapco fixed 10/20 round magazine ?

If so i tried installing it on my Norinco and no luck yet, although im sure i messed up in the installation , havent been able to keep the bolt open properly
Old 06-20-2008, 7:16 AM
Vendor/Retailer

YES YOU CAN do detachable ... on an M59 or M59/66. I wouldnt advise it however since you may have to explain that to a judge.

By the way I can't get my 10/20 to fit properly in my m59 either. oh well.

"Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization."
Old 06-20-2008, 7:28 AM

my fixed 10/20 fits perfectly in my Norinco with the Choate Dragunov stock. It was a PITA thought the first time I put it in, but it's been fine since then.
It loads fine with stripper clips, but not as well as the stock magazine. That's to be expected though.
A Couple of things that I did to help with loading with Stripper clips was, first I left the magazine loaded for a few nights and days to help loosen the tension on the spring, Second I had to file open the back of the feed lips on the 10/20 mag to help the stripper clip slide all the way down.

I'll post a vidoe and some pics when I get home (My work blocks Photobucket)

Old 06-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
my fixed 10/20 fits perfectly in my Norinco with the Choate Dragunov stock. It was a PITA thought the first time I put it in, but it's been fine since then.
It loads fine with stripper clips, but not as well as the stock magazine. That's to be expected though.
A Couple of things that I did to help with loading with Stripper clips was, first I left the magazine loaded for a few nights and days to help loosen the tension on the spring, Second I had to file open the back of the feed lips on the 10/20 mag to help the stripper clip slide all the way down.

I'll post a vidoe and some pics when I get home (My work blocks Photobucket)
Please do post pics

Also when you installed the magazine, where you able to close the bolt with out having any ammo in the magazine?
Old 06-20-2008, 12:19 PM

I intalled mine with the bolt closed
It works great too, the bolt holds open after the last shot and clses fine after loading a round.
I can close the bolt with no rounds if I hold the bolt back then push the follower down and then let the magazine slowly close. I could just let it slam shut, but I have to get my other finger out of there quick.... Otherwise the follower will hold the bolt open until it is loaded

Mine has the choate stock though so my fitment might be different then yours.

Last edited by Baron; 06-20-2008 at 12:22 PM..
Old 06-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
I intalled mine with the bolt closed
It works great too, the bolt holds open after the last shot and clses fine after loading a round.
I can close the bolt with no rounds if I hold the bolt back then push the follower down and then let the magazine slowly close. I could just let it slam shut, but I have to get my other finger out of there quick.... Otherwise the follower will hold the bolt open until it is loaded

Mine has the choate stock though so my fitment might be different then yours.
When you close it by putting ur finger in the follower are you able to open it again?
Old 06-20-2008, 12:31 PM
Banned

DC engineering mags !
Old 06-27-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frijolito1988 View Post
Your talking about the tapco fixed 10/20 round magazine ?

If so i tried installing it on my Norinco and no luck yet, although im sure i messed up in the installation , havent been able to keep the bolt open properly
Yep, you messed it up. I Bubba'd my friends norinco with a Tapco fussion stock and all the 922r parts. It was a tight fit but it budged and assembled fine and action was good so I suggest re do it
Old 06-28-2008, 12:16 AM

Anyone know where I can get the 5 round Chinese made internal magazines? The ones that are metal and fit flush with the stock.
Old 06-29-2008, 7:18 AM

my Tapco 10rd mag is really sticky and sometimes doesnt feed or load very good. i havent modified it in any way yet. any suggestions?
Old 07-02-2008, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danerd View Post
my Tapco 10rd mag is really sticky and sometimes doesnt feed or load very good. i havent modified it in any way yet. any suggestions?
.....I was thinking the same thing. What kind of tweaks and mods do people suggest? I've got two of these mags on order. One will be used with a Yugo in a Tapco Fusion stock, the other on a Norinco with ATI folder stock that's been pinned/epoxied in the extended position for legality. Any suggestions, especially ones with accompanying photos would really be helpful...
Old 07-02-2008, 7:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydedog View Post
.....I was thinking the same thing. What kind of tweaks and mods do people suggest? I've got two of these mags on order. One will be used with a Yugo in a Tapco Fusion stock, the other on a Norinco with ATI folder stock that's been pinned/epoxied in the extended position for legality. Any suggestions, especially ones with accompanying photos would really be helpful...
I bough one, but im not buying a stock or anything, so im selling mine, pm me NEVER been used just installed couldent get it right and gave up lol and perferd the stock look, never even loaded
Old 07-02-2008, 2:26 PM

Is there any significant difference between TAPCO mags and the originals?
Old 07-02-2008, 3:50 PM

You mean like this one?

I have mine on my M59. It looks cool, but does have some issues.

1. There is no way to empty the gun other than to disassemble it or work the bolt to extract the shells. A floating firing pin doesn't make this a brainless thing on a SKS.

2. You can't close the bolt over ten rounds like on the stock fixed mag. The gun either has to hold 9 or less, or you will have a round in the chamber.

3. Strippers work, but sometimes you will hit the bolt hold open when you are loading, making a real mess of things.

4. $50 is expensive for the looks.

Basically, it looks cool, buy has some draw backs.
Old 07-02-2008, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTuffPaws View Post
You mean like this one?

[IG]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h45/MrTuffPaws/CIMG1499.jpg[/IMG]

1. There is no way to empty the gun other than to disassemble it or work the bolt to extract the shells. A floating firing pin doesn't make this a brainless thing on a SKS.

2. You can't close the bolt over ten rounds like on the stock fixed mag. The gun either has to hold 9 or less, or you will have a round in the chamber.

3. Strippers work, but sometimes you will hit the bolt hold open when you are loading, making a real mess of things.

You have one of outside modifyed tapco magazines. As your magazine doesn't have a huge plastic piece attached to the bottom of the magazine. Can you actually take your magazine apart?

Mine is the official tapco model, which is half the price

Now khaki kylon
Old 07-05-2008, 9:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTuffPaws View Post

These are some of the reasons why I sold mine to another board member and went with US hammer/sear/trigger set from Murry's Guns so I could keep my bubba'd Yugo 922r legal and keep the original factory mag:

I also didn't like how far under the rifle the TAPCO 10/20 mag protruded — it just felt and looked wrong — and I hated the idea that half the mag's space was just air.
Old 07-05-2008, 7:01 PM

I tried mine out about a few weeks ago and it was a mess, loading with stripper clips sucked, feeding problems with rounds getting caught near the chamber/jamming. But it wasn't that bad, only two out of 60 got caught . . but I was loading 5 bullets at a time. First time I loaded 10 it jammed like on the 6th round
Old 07-05-2008, 8:47 PM

Got 2 of em' ... Love em'
Old 07-13-2008, 8:44 AM

....Just got mine in. They've been installed in an ATI folder equipped Norinco and a Tapco equipped Yugo. They went in with no headache, hassle or problems. They are identical in looks to the 20 round detachables. The only external difference is a small "10F" stamp on the bottom of the mag. They seem solid and well built. I'll let you guys know how well they work after the next range day....
Old 07-13-2008, 12:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

That's my "evil black rifle" with a 10/20 TAPCO mag. I even asked a cop buddy of mine if he thought it was legal. he told me " I don't know,I would have my Sargent check it out but we would most likely take it". I told him that I would see him in court because that rifle is 100% legal. I also asked him to study Ca. gun laws a little better and when his brain acctually starts to smoke remember that I HAVE TO KNOW ALL OF THEM so I can hold my baby at night and stay out of jail.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 10-09-2009, 9:41 AM

are these just ten round mags...? or could they be used to a higher capacity in another state(like pmags for AR's)? what about the detachables?

Last edited by WestBayJay; 10-09-2009 at 9:44 AM..
Old 10-11-2009, 3:33 PM

I believe they are pinned to hold 10 rounds only, so if you do go to a state that allows 10+ round magazines it should be possible to convert back to the original 20 round capacity.

I have one of these, and had thought there would be problems with feeding or fitting to my SKS, but install was a breeze and the tapco mag fed 100+ rounds at the range w/o any problems. I do agree with a previous post in this thread that the stripper clip loading is not as smooth as with a 10 round factory mag, but that's most likely because the tapco one is still new and needs to be broken in.

Finally, I'm beginning to think that I should just change back to the 10 round factory mag, because the 10/20 gets in the way during the most annoying times
Old 10-11-2009, 4:58 PM

Heard alot of good things about the Tapco. Do you need to have a Tapco stock?
Will they fit a regulat stock?

I got one SKS with a monte carlo style stock and wouldnt mind altering that, but dont want to carve up a good wood stock.
Old 10-11-2009, 5:47 PM

Nope, got a K-Sports (like the ATI monte carlo stock) and it fit fine. But then again, I have a Chinese SKS and you have a Yugo correct?
Old 10-11-2009, 6:57 PM

Actually, the monte carlo stock has a chinese SKS.
Old 10-11-2009, 8:38 PM

nice

should work then, I don't see why not.

when I did the install the tapco mag just fit right in place.
Old 10-12-2009, 1:27 AM
Veteran Member

My Tapco 10/20 fixed mag works just fine. My only complaint is that it is "stickier" to load from stripper clips that on the factory steel mags.

Life can make you do many things, even kiss a man with a runny nose.

- Mihail Timofeevič Kalašnikov -
Old 02-18-2010, 9:47 AM

i am new and just woundering that the mods that you guys have done are cali legal. With the 10rd fixed mag from tapco and the tapco stock. Do i have to register my sks as a assaut rifle or not to do these kind of mods
Old 02-20-2010, 3:47 AM

I tried one and it worked fine. I just like the stock one better. You can't beat the stock mag assembly. Reliable and easy to dump the rounds.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hufton View Post
i am new and just woundering that the mods that you guys have done are cali legal. With the 10rd fixed mag from tapco and the tapco stock. Do i have to register my sks as a assaut rifle or not to do these kind of mods

You've missed the deadline to registering AWs by ten years. If you didn't register it prior to 2000, you cannot manufacture or import an AW.

Fixed 10rd mags on a SKS is the way to go. If you must have a detachable mag on a Yugo M59 or M59/66, go ahead. Make sure you have enough money in the bank for legal fees to prove that a Yugo M59 is not a SKS in court. SKS with detachable magazines are specifically listed on the CA AW list.

With a fixed mag SKS, you can have a flash hider, pistol grip, folding stock, etc. Whatever your heart desires, as long as the rifle is a minimum 30" OAL.

Life can make you do many things, even kiss a man with a runny nose.

- Mihail Timofeevič Kalašnikov -
Old 02-22-2010, 8:27 PM

Default SKS

What about a standard SKS early issue with folding bayonet Stock gun with the original fixed 20 rd mag with the Red Chinese star on the mag housing.

Legal as it is fixed an has to be top loaded or does the folding bayonet make a difference.
Old 02-22-2010, 9:36 PM

Here is my bubba'd Yugo SKS with Tapco stock,gas tube w/pictanny rail,muzzle break,forward grip and 10/20 fixed mag.

[IMG][/IMG]

I have had issues with Tapco 10/20 mag when it came to feeding rounds with stripper clips. I resorted to file the mag to how the original stock looked like. THe following post shows the steps.

I did this in response to the feeding issues. As some have probably mentioned,loading the mag and leaving it loaded for a few days to lower the tension on the springs is a pretty good idea! I did that as well! Another issue I have heard of is certain models of the SKS not working properly with the Tapco 10/20. Personally I can only speak of my experience with the Yugo.
I have taken my SKS to the range twice. I still have an issue with feeding an entire stripper clip SOME of the times. It feeds only 6-8 rounds when doing so. Of course loading the rounds manually is not an issue.

I will post photos on another mod for the Tapco mag to address the issue with the stripper clip.

PM if you have any questions.
Old 10-26-2010, 1:31 PM

Why are some people's pictures showing up and others' are not? And can someone who has a Tapco 10rd fixed mag post a picture of what it looks like BEFORE it is installed. I can't find a single place on the internet that has an accurate picture of what makes it "fixed." All I get is a description of the mag and a picture of the generic 20rd detachable. Thanks guys.
Old 10-26-2010, 3:03 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzdriver81 View Post
Why are some people's pictures showing up and others' are not?
Some pictures don't show up because the hosting for them has expired. This thread was started over two years ago. Free photo hosting sites often have a time limit on how long they will host your photos, and people who were hosting photos on their own web space might have removed the photos to free up space or stopped paying for the web space altogether.

Welcome to Calguns.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin