Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:12 AM

Default Getting Ready to Build My First OLL

So after all the searching and reading on these forums, I've decided to go ahead and start building my first AR. I didn't want to go crazy with this being my first build.

I'm going to go featurless with a MMG, and I'm going to go with a Stag 3H Upper but I was hoping to get pointed in the right direction with this. The 3H doesn't have sights on it, what are my options for mounting sights for the front. I see there are flip up sites that will mount on the rail but they seem quite expensive, is there anything out there that's just a basic front rail mounted site that doesn't flip down?

Also in the future if I wanted to replace the 3H's hand guard with a railed hand gaurd, is that even possible? Is there anything out there that is a direct swap? Thanks!
Old 06-19-2008, 10:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

anything is possible with AR's you can interchange and up-grade anything including your hand guard to a rail. there are some less expensive non-flip up sights that are about 40-60 bucks each...you just gotta look.

California Uber Alles, California Uber Alles
Uber Alles California, Uber Alles California

I am Governor Jerry Brown, My aura smiles and never frowns, Soon I will be President...
Old 06-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Part time Emperor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Install your detent pin/spring in a clear plastic bag so if you won't lose them....
Old 06-19-2008, 10:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I think the 3H is intended for someone planning to install a scope right away.

You can always get a Detachable Carry Handle/Front Post, though.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:05 AM

Question, Why the Stag 3H? Why not the stag 2H. It's only $39 more and you get a really nice ARMS #40 rear flip up site ($110) and a front site ($30)?

I only ask cause this is your first build and it sounds like you don't already have your own sites or optics.

Hand gaurds-The plastic ones that come with your upper pull right off.
They do sell drop in 2 piece replacment rails, They also sell bolt on one piece replacements that will attach to your upper for a more solid feel. Those will take some tools to install.

One of the best direct bolt on replacement rails you can buy would be a larue 7.0 rail.

Let us know if you have any other questions, glad to help
Old 06-19-2008, 11:11 AM

I picked the 3H because it's birthday time and I'm not buying it :-) So if I would have chosen a more expensive upper it may not have happend, ha! But I liked the 3H because it seemed versitile and a good price anyways. I just get to spend the money and put what I want on it.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

I'd follow the detente spring advice. I just lost one last night after trying to install the stock. Had it compressed all the way and accidentally moved the cover just as I was about to tighten the nut. I heard it shoot out, hit the ceiling, and land.

Somewhere.
Old 06-19-2008, 4:35 PM

save yourself the hassle and buy a $1 1/4 x 2inch clevis pin at your local hardware store to help yourself install the detent.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokMaster1 View Post
Install your detent pin/spring in a clear plastic bag so if you won't lose them....
That was the toughest part for me.