Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-18-2008, 9:06 PM

Default .40 XD Ammo Choices

Hey all, just had a quick question...I searched about a month back in the forum and didn't really find an answer. I'll be purchasing my first firearm next week and I think I'll be getting the Springfield XD 4" V10 Ported or 5" Tactical (shot both, liked both, it'll probably be a spur of the moment decision which I actually go with). I got 500 rounds of 180 grain reload ammo at the Reno Gun Show earlier in the year and I was trying to figure out which HD ammo to get. I've heard recommendations for the Federal HST LE Tactical and that comes in 180 grain. My question was, if I shoot target practice with the reload, will I still be accurate with the HD rounds when the time comes? I know I need to shoot some to ensure that it feeds, etc. but I guess I'm wondering what cheap ammo to practice with that won't be too different than my HD selection. Is the bullet weight the most important factor or what? I guess it's not a quick question, but a few long ones. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-18-2008, 9:29 PM
Veteran Member

Federal HST, Winchester Ranger-T, Speer Gold Dot, and Remington Golden Saber are all fine choices for JHP rounds.

The JHP rounds are sometimes loaded hotter than typical rounds and sometimes reloaded ammo is loaded a little softer (for liability reasons) than typical rounds. At handgun ranges, the difference in the first shot won't be too different, but you'll react differently and you won't be able to get as good of a second shot with the HD rounds as you can get with the reloads.

Bullet weight and velocity are the two factors to look at. But don't expect the velocity to be printed everywhere the weight is.
Old 06-18-2008, 9:49 PM

Speer Gold Dots or Federal Hydrashoks.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
Speer Gold Dots or Federal Hydrashoks.
blah to hydrashoks.

If you want the largest expansion go with the HST. They are just nasty!
Gold Dots are also an awesome choice as are the Winchester Ranger-T

For Penetration go Federal Tactical Bonded, Hornady XTP, Bonded Golden Saber or DPX with DPX probably being the best.
Old 06-19-2008, 9:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Hornady TAP 180 Gr +P JHPs
My gut is good for two things, making poo and spotting crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Do not get your legal advice from Forest Rangers or Sheriffs: that's like getting medical advice from your plumber.
Old 06-19-2008, 9:51 AM
Banned

Winchester Supreme SXT
Old 06-19-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Just Happened? View Post
Federal HST, Winchester Ranger-T, Speer Gold Dot, and Remington Golden Saber are all fine choices for JHP rounds.

The JHP rounds are sometimes loaded hotter than typical rounds and sometimes reloaded ammo is loaded a little softer (for liability reasons) than typical rounds. At handgun ranges, the difference in the first shot won't be too different, but you'll react differently and you won't be able to get as good of a second shot with the HD rounds as you can get with the reloads.

Bullet weight and velocity are the two factors to look at. But don't expect the velocity to be printed everywhere the weight is.
Thanks for the info, so if I were to find a deal on factory loaded "range" ammo that's the same weight as my HD rounds and has a similar velocity, then that should be pretty close to the same ballistics for accuracy purposes?
Old 06-19-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonite View Post
blah to hydrashoks.

If you want the largest expansion go with the HST. They are just nasty!
Gold Dots are also an awesome choice as are the Winchester Ranger-T

For Penetration go Federal Tactical Bonded, Hornady XTP, Bonded Golden Saber or DPX with DPX probably being the best.
Thanks! I'm definitely more interested in expansion since I live in an apartment complex and would hate to worry about over-penetration. I think I"ll probably pick up a box of the HST and the Gold Dots (those seems to be the two main JHP camps I've come across online) and see which feeds/shoots better. Thanks again guys!
Old 06-19-2008, 7:48 PM

I picked myself up some Agulia IQ 9mm. Amazing stuff. They do come in .40s&w flavor. Expensive tho.

Last edited by ChibiPaw; 06-19-2008 at 7:51 PM..
Old 06-20-2008, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateknightucd View Post
Thanks! I'm definitely more interested in expansion since I live in an apartment complex and would hate to worry about over-penetration. I think I"ll probably pick up a box of the HST and the Gold Dots (those seems to be the two main JHP camps I've come across online) and see which feeds/shoots better. Thanks again guys!
Cor-Bon JHP is what I used to use when I had thinner walls.

They tend to fragment when hitting gel but the fragments meet FBI depth. I'd imagine they would fragment when hitting walls too which may make it safer for use in thin walled areas.

Also Hornady TAP isn't bad either, they tend to not expand aggressively but they do penetrate well.

P.S. I wouldn't worry about range ammo velocity, the difference of a couple hundred FPS shouldnt affect the point of impact. The recoil would be different, but in a self defense situation recoil will not be noticed due to adrenaline anyway.