Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 06-11-2008, 7:23 PM

Default Pictures of home made knock-down metal targets

I am looking for some pictures and specs for home made knock down or swinging targets. I will be shooting 22lr, 45 ACP, .38, .357, and 44 mag. What kind of thickness do I need? I have a full shop with welding and cutting equipment so so I post up even the most extravagant pictures you have. I would prefer however to keep the weight to less than 60lbs.

Thanks
Old 06-11-2008, 7:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkoden View Post
I am looking for some pictures and specs for home made knock down or swinging targets. I will be shooting 22lr, 45 ACP, .38, .357, and 44 mag. What kind of thickness do I need? I have a full shop with welding and cutting equipment so so I post up even the most extravagant pictures you have. I would prefer however to keep the weight to less than 60lbs.

Thanks
Me and a pal made some targets like this many years ago and they lasted a good long time.

1/2" thick cold rolled steel plate oughtta do it for rifle and pistol use. 1/4" is enough for pistols only. You can heat treat it yourself by heating it until it's orange, then quenching it in motor oil. Then heat it again to 500 degrees in an oven and let it cool to room temperature on it's own. We had a pottery kiln for the first stage of heat treatment. You probably know better than we did about all of this.

We just made round 5" disks and T-welded them to a square base. .308 ball barely cratered the surface at 100 yards, 5.56 did more damage, 7.62x39 did least of all, but .416 Rigby with solid bronze bullets went straight through and over the mountain. Pistol calibers of all types just splattered on the outside. Only had one weird round come back at us, and I think that was a 7.62x25 Russian armor piercing bullet.

To do it again, I'd probably just instead buy them already done at a gun show unless I wanted to get fancy with my own design.

Everyone oughtta have steel targets to shoot at.
Old 06-11-2008, 7:52 PM
Banned

Oh, we also made some experimental ones that had a baseplate that looked like a chair with the back legs removed so that they would sit on a 2x4 and get knocked over when you hit them. We'd just make wooden stands out of 2x4s and arrange five or six targets side by side.

I think it's safer to design them to get knocked over when hit, rather than the first type we made that would just turn to the side if they weren't hit dead center. Got some interesting ricochets by shooting at these heavy plate targets a second time after they were facing us at a weird angle. Probably better design them to plop over when shot.

Also, if you don't like setting targets up all the time, making a big 'U' out of steel plate that will hold a clay skeet pigeon is a neat alternative.
Old 06-14-2008, 6:23 PM

anyone else have any ideas or pics?
Old 06-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Banned

The plates for pistols need to be about 1/2 inch thick, if you are using mild steel.