Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 03-22-2015, 4:08 PM

Default 22-MAR-2015 SoCal Skeet Clinic Debrief

It was a perfect day at BBB's Clays for a clinic...
Today we started with 5 shooters, 2 veterans and 3 new shooters.
After the usual gun fit and safety instruction it was off to station 1 for some incoming birds with the veteran shooters showing the wat for the new shooters. After a couple round, the veterans went to shooting high 1 targets while the new shooters continued to work on low 1. Then on to station 2 we went, again the veterans showing the new shooters the way on low 2. After a few rounds of this, the veterans were allowed to pich theri poison...High, Low or pairs...whatever they needed work on.
After the first box, we were joined by another veteran shooter, bringing us to 6 shooters. We moved through the other stations with the new shooters learning the proper way to approach each target and the veteran shooters working their own problem areas. By the end of the day the new shooters were shooting pairs...and hitting them!!!

All in all, it was a very good day, I was very impressed with the new shooters... Everyone learned something of value...I know I did!!!

Thank you Don and Richard for taking your time to put on these clinics.

If you are looking to learn how to shoot a shotgun or want to hone your skills, these clinics are the best value out there...period...

My page...Give me some feedback.
Old 03-22-2015, 9:01 PM

Thanks again Don and Richard! Had lots of fun and learned a lot. I know I've got bad habits to correct, so I'll have to sign up for another clinic to reinforce what I've learned.
Old 03-23-2015, 1:21 PM

Another great clinic!! I come away from each clinic learning something new and having something else to work on. Right now I need to get used to my new gun! Thanks for the extra attention Richard on helping me with high 2!
Old 03-23-2015, 6:20 PM

I learned some of my look points were way off. If I can keep the proper look points, high 2 should be better for me...We'll see on Sunday...

Old 03-24-2015, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post
I learned some of my look points were way off. If I can keep the proper look points, high 2 should be better for me...We'll see on Sunday...
Where are your look points now. Mine are halfway between my hold point and the window.

I have been working my 3,4,5 doubles lately and finding my hold points midway between center stake and window are working well to pick them off before center stake. What say you?

MidLife - "Just look at the bird. And swing smoothly to the shot. "

CaptainDick - " Faster! Faster! Faster! Don't think!
Old 03-24-2015, 10:11 AM

My look points were to far back to the window, moved out about half-way to my gun. Started hitting them a little over half way to the stake. My hold points are still about where Don and Richard recommend...1/3 out from the house.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post
My look points were to far back to the window, moved out about half-way to my gun. Started hitting them a little over half way to the stake. My hold points are still about where Don and Richard recommend...1/3 out from the house.
I think we are on the same page. Soft focus look point is halfway between window and hold point?

MidLife - "Just look at the bird. And swing smoothly to the shot. "

CaptainDick - " Faster! Faster! Faster! Don't think!

Last edited by shovelon; 03-24-2015 at 10:32 AM..
Old 03-25-2015, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
I think we are on the same page. Soft focus look point is halfway between window and hold point?
Yep, exactly...