Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-08-2008, 5:03 PM

Default Seeking a patent attorney who knows handguns

Can anyone recommend a patent attorney who has some knowledge of firearms, especially handguns?
I am in the Northern California area, so one from Eureka to Sacremento to Santa Cruz would work.

Thanks
Old 06-09-2008, 11:18 AM

If your idea is mechanical, I would think any good patent attorney with a degree in Mechanical Engineering will do a good job.

If you really, really want a patent attorney with knowledge in firearms, the only patent attorney that I know with that kind of experience is Mr. Grant Foster at Holland & Hart in Salt Lake City, UT. Here's his info:

http://www.hollandhart.com/peoplepro...rsonID&ID=5144

If you do decide to contact Mr. Foster, please PM me, so I can tell you who referred him. Best of luck!
Old 06-09-2008, 2:15 PM

Not merely a mechanical device, so yes, I seek the advice of one specializing in the firearms industry.
That was a great lead. Thanks, and if I do contact him, I will reference you.
Thanks greatly for the input.
Randall
Old 06-09-2008, 6:30 PM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

design or mechanical patent, any good patent attorney can help you. also, you can file a provisional patent application which will give you one year to decide whether to proceed and in what countries. a provisional will cost less and doesn't have to be all encompassing, merely a description plus fees. however, the one year date is of EXTREME importance. also, speak to your attorney about filing a PCT application prior to that time.

i assume you're already aware that you don't have to have an attorney if you're the inventor, right?

patent law is very dependent on dates and missed dates can cost you more than $$. don't rely on your attorney to make sure dates are met. if you do file for a patent, keep your own calendar of important dates.

movie zombie

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 06-10-2008, 5:55 AM

Hello,

There is a Patent Atttorney who has an ad listed in, Small Arms Review. He name is Bennet Langlotz and has contact information in Nevada. 877-230-5950 or patent@langlotz.com .
I have never contacted him.

Jeff P
Old 06-10-2008, 11:49 AM

Oh, and one more thing. As you probably already know, DON'T use any of those "patent services" that you see on T.V. They're all a bunch of thieves IMO. They file provisional or design applications (which give you very limited protection), charge you a bunch of money, and then leave you high and dry!

Once you find a patent attorney that you feel that you would like to work with. Check the U.S. Patent Office website and confirm that he/she really is a patent attorney and it'll also show how many years he/she has been in practice.

https://oedci.uspto.gov/OEDCI/

Also, if he/she happens to be a California attorney, check the CA State Bar website and make sure he/she didn't get reprimanded for anything.

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/state/calba...=10178&id=1001
Old 06-10-2008, 1:25 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

also, there are legal USPTO recognized <patent agents>....some of which are better than patent attorneys as regards filing patents. they take the same test USPTO test as an attorney to become recognized by the USPTO. if you find a good law firm with one of these, you might save some $.

movie zombie

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 06-10-2008, 1:45 PM

Out of town yesterday, so didn't respond to the posts as of yet,
but thanks so far for the advice and recommendations.

I do have some leads. One is actually working with someone on his gun patent, and is a dedicated shooter.

Sure any patent lawyer can file the paper work, but I prefer someone who knows guns, so I don't have to waste my precious paid for time trying to explain what is relevant and what is not. AT 400.00 an hour, if I spend 15 minutes trying to explain why A is diffrent than B, then I could have saved the 100.00 cost if he was a shooter and could see the difference immediately. Add a few of those and it adds up quickly.

An attorney who is not enthusiastic about firearms and really anti-gun under neath is really not going to give me the same response or dedication as someone who enjoys the sport.

There are many other reasons beside these for which I would prefer an attorney familiar with firearms.
Old 06-10-2008, 1:52 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

one good reason would be to support another gunowner! perhaps the best reason of all.

movie zombie

Gun Control:
Old 06-11-2008, 1:27 AM
Banned

The search $$$$$$ is worth it. Give Bennet a shout.