Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > California Precision Rifle Club
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Precision Rifle Club California Precision Rifle Club Forum

Old 06-07-2008, 8:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Default APS – 06-07-08 – 22LR Tac/Prec Match Report

APS – 06-07-08 – 22LR Tac/Prec Match Report

Well today marked the first 22LR Tac/Prec Match at A Place to Shoot in Saugus, California. I feel certain that this will be a monthly event at APS judging from the participation today and the favorable comments regarding the competition itself. This type of match is a relatively new concept in small-bore competition and to my knowledge this match was the first of its type in SoCal. Basically this is the same type of match we have come to call LR Precision of Tactical / Precision for our high power rifle except shot with small bore (22LR) rifles at reduced caliber appropriate distances.

The day was sunny, warm and surprisingly not very windy (at least compared to normally) which was a blessing for our shooters.

Plaques were awarded to the top three competitors as follows: First Place – Wes Chilton; Second Place – Mark Edgreen; Third Place – Pascal Bauder.

The following is a breakdown of the courses of fire:

This match started out in an abnormal way, at least compared this type of match’s HP brother. The first ½ hour or so was spent with the group collectively getting their respective zeroes and dope for 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards. I made the decision to do this at roughly the 12th hour as I was setting up late Friday afternoon. it dawned on me that we had a variety of shooters, with different backgrounds who may or may not have solid dope for those yardages. Further, drawing back on experiences from my days of small bore shooting and my recent reintroduction to it as a training tool, I remembered the 22LR rifle, unlike HP rifles, have a nasty habit of changing their zeroes range session to range session and most especially location to location. Hence I decided to dedicate a portion of the match to allowing all a chance to gather a good zero and dope for these yardages.

Stage I – IV – DOT DRILLS 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards

The first four stages were all dot drills with 4 or 5 dots per target. The shooters had 1 minute to place 4 and in some cases five shots on the target, 1 shot per dot. We had a wide variety of scores ranging from in some instances none to cleaning the respective targets. The dots at 25 (Stage I) yards were ½”, at 50 (Stage II)yards 1”, at 75 (Stage III) yards 2” , and at 100 (Stage IV) yards 3”. No one cleaned all four stages however a couple of shooters missed doing so by only one shot.

Stage V – 150 YARD STEEL

The fifth course of fire is pretty explanatory from its title. In this stage the shooters engaged a 4.5” plate at 150 yards from the prone position. The Shooters had fife opportunities to hit the plate, which was scored on decreasing value. If hit on the first shot the shooter rec’d 100 pts; if the first shot was missed the shooter was allowed a second shot and if a hit was achieved it was worth 80 pts, etc. We had two first round hits, a couple of second hits and a few third round hits.

STAGE VI – 200 YARD STEEL

The sixth course of fire was exactly the same except at 200 yards at a 6” place. We had one shooter who made a first round hit, our match winner.

After this stage we changed locations. Stages I – VI were shot on our range’s HP range. Stages VII – X were shot on out range’s “member’s only” ranges that extends only to 50 yards. I figured this might be a good location to depart from the precision prone world and enter into a little tactical flavor.

STAGE VII – OFF HAND – 50 YARDS

IN this stage the shooters engaged a 4” dot target, offhand with a total of five shots. The par time on this (as with all the stages in this match) was one minute.

STAGE VIII – KNOW YOUR LIMIT – 50 YARDS

This stage was a “know your limit” with a total of four dots ranging in size from 1.25” decreasing to .5”. The rules were that you could stop anywhere in the process you wanted but if you missed you zeroed your score for the entire target. Learning a hard lesson from last weekends HP match several shooters either took one shot, and for the brave at heart, two shots and stopped.

Stage IX – SAVE THE HOSTAGES.

In this stage the goal was to “drop” two bad guys standing watch and then proceed to save the hostages by hitting the really bad guy holding them cowardly in the middle with one round. The bad guys standing watch were 3” midi clay birds at approx 30 and the other bad guy was between two hostages at 50 yards. The shooters engaged the clay targets off hand with one round each and them proceeded to hopefully dispatch the hostage taker while using a turned over 55 gal drum for cover. Dusting the clay bad guys counted as 25 pts each and hitting the bad guy on the hostage target was 50 pts. However, if a hostage was hit there was a 100-point deduction meaning if you “powdered” both clays but hit a hostage you’d end up with a negative 50 points for the stage. Unfortunately for the hostages this occurred several times.

STAGE X – FIVE SHOT GROUP – 50 YARDS

IN this tenth and final stage the shooter engaged a target with a rack of 1.25” pools balls. The shooter was to put five rounds onto his/her target into the pool ball whose number coincided with their shooter number. There were several 100s in this stage.

All in all it was a very good match and all did very well.
Old 06-07-2008, 9:42 PM
Banned

Thanks Bill for putting on this match. Was really a lot of fun. Also happy I didnt have to climb into a trashcan

Congrats to the winners- great job by all. Was a great match with a lot of friendly people.

I'm SOOOOOO tired... got about 3 hours sleep last night since I had to wake up at 4:00 to get out there.... Neck is still sore from that wicked uphill slope shooting prone... But we all had a great time.

Thanks Bill and Pascal for getting this off the ground. Hope it becomes a regular match. Even sharing with public range worked out fine- wasnt an issue.

"Chip"
Old 06-08-2008, 4:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal View Post

"Chip"
Old 06-08-2008, 4:53 AM

What a great match run by Timberwolf. It certainly was fist class all the way.Congrats to the best shooter of the day which was Wes who was on fire!!! It was very nice to meet and shoot with all the other competitor's. Look forward to the next match.

Old 06-08-2008, 4:54 AM

Old 06-08-2008, 4:55 AM

Old 06-08-2008, 4:56 AM

Old 06-08-2008, 4:57 AM

Old 06-08-2008, 4:57 AM

Old 06-08-2008, 4:58 AM

Old 06-08-2008, 4:59 AM

Old 06-08-2008, 6:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Great pics. Looks like a good time. I gotta make the next one.
Old 06-08-2008, 7:13 AM
Veteran Member

The infamous "mildot hand" is in this picture. I guess it worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter65 View Post
What a great match run by Timberwolf. It certainly was fist class all the way.Congrats to the best shooter of the day which was Wes who was on fire!!! It was very nice to meet and shoot with all the other competitor's. Look forward to the next match.

]

Last edited by Teletiger7; 06-08-2008 at 7:19 PM..
Old 06-08-2008, 9:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletiger7 View Post
The infamous "mil-dot hand" is in this picture. I guess it worked.
Pascal always has something written on his hand.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 06-08-2008, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Pascal always has something written on his hand.
LOL...U'll see as you get older!!!! Easier to remember.

Seriously though, it's true - I always write something on my hand like my shooter number, etc... In this case I was shooter #1 so it was easy to remember but the mildots elevation for a 22LR I don't know them by heart. I've done many matches and I've seen shooters getting on the line and suddenly they go "DOH... what was my number again" when the shooting starts. Some matches have 50 to 60 shooters. When the range is in meters, I also write in down on my hand. I've only learned by heart the elevation/windage/mildots for yards.

Be careful though, it's contagious. I've seen more and more shooters do the same as they do more matches. Mostly the shooter's number.
Old 06-08-2008, 6:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
LOL...U'll see as you get older!!!! Easier to remember.
I'm seeing it now.
I have not reached the point of writing on my hand yet.
That's what I use my notebook for.
I could see writing on a piece of tape on my stock pretty soon though.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 06-08-2008, 8:43 PM

Mr. Minute of Palm!
Old 06-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Banned

Great shooting there Nova.

Still say I shoulda taken out your hostage instead of mine! hehe! Great job on those 150 and 200 yd plates-

I wrote my number on my palm, walked up to Michele, grabbed her hand and wrote her number on it... and she looked at me all confused... It's your shooter number just in case you forget. "oh, good idea!"

That mil hold chart was a great idea if you dont have the sticker inside the ocular BC flip up. (I dont have bc's on my 22 though- dont have a mil dot scope on it yet either though)
Old 06-08-2008, 11:15 PM

Thanks Postal... I just need to be able to replicate that performance with my .308... among other things. I don't know if I would've done as well if we hadn't had a chance to get our dope first. Thanks to Twolf for that, it really made the difference.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:48 PM
Banned

Most everyone wouldnt have done as well without the zero's.... Except Pascal who had been working that rifle and ammo for awhile now.

I never shot that ammo before that day... Plugged at some charts, and they were really close luckily- hit the 150 on 3rd shot, never hit the 200, but I was always close, and missed all around it- not just too high or too low- so the chart was pretty good.