Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-07-2008, 7:21 PM

Default New AR-15 Update W/Target Pics

I finally took my new AR out today. Took a while to get the ACOG zeroed but once I did... holy crap. For those of you who didn't see my pre-firing post for this, here's the rifle and parts list...

Vltor .223
-Vltor VIS-2A mid-length upper
-Sabre 18" Vanadium alloy chrome lined barrel, 1:7" twist, Gill brake, mid-weight SPR fluting, polished M4 feed ramps, mid-length gas system
-All chromed lower parts...
-Magpul PRS stock with AC4 pneumatic buffer
-DPMS Chromed bolt carrier
-Trijicon ACOG TA01NSN w/flashkill
-Magpul XT rail covers
-Harris 6-9" bipod, non-swivel
-Pachmayr Vindicator grip
-Prince 50 mag lock
-Magpul enhanced trigger guard
-several months of obsession

Results

First I'd like to say that if you haven't gotten a pneumatic buffer yet, DO IT. It's a fantastic part. Some would say, "why bother with that in a .223?" Even in smaller calibers it makes the action silky smooth, recoil is controlled it's almost digusting, there's no SPROING in your ear and it's just damn cool. The ACOG got a little annoying due to low magnification for the shooting I was doing, but it held zero after 100 rounds on just the thumb screws, so I was happy. The sound that comes from a .223 usually is distinctive, sure, but from this gun it was almost a commanding burst. It's hard to explain, but I would attribute the sound to the Sabre Gill brake. Even on a standard trigger the pull was crisp, and the overall platform felt incredibly solid.

Using Black Hills 69gr Sierra Match King HP bullets this baby pulled under 1" groups at 100yds. By the way, I'm not talking the normal 3 shot or even 5 shot groups, here. You can see in the picture I had one outlier, but on that shot I flinched. :P The main group is about 3/4" wide, and those holes are actually from 9 shots with the outlier being the 10th. What can I say? I got excited. This picture is the final 10 shots (rounds 90-100) of the day.

Here are some of the earlier shots from when I was dialing in the scope.

With some good cleaning and a little more care in shot placement I think this build could do even better. We'll find out next weekend.
-VERY good condition original Colt Python revolver, black chrome bluing in 357mag/38spc
-Noveske N6 Lower Receiver
GET TO THUH CHOPPUH!!
Old 06-07-2008, 8:11 PM

Sweet! Nice rifle.
Old 06-07-2008, 8:39 PM
Calguns Addict

100 yards you better hit all black..

i hit all black with Iron sights @ 500 yards
Old 06-08-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklyte27 View Post
100 yards you better hit all black..

i hit all black with Iron sights @ 500 yards
I'd be happy to SEE the target 500 yds downrange.

However, nice black rifle you have there Novanryder.
SA SOCOM 16
AR-15 16" Carbine (short)
AR-15 18" Like Recon SPR
Remington 870 Magnum
Sig 4" P229 Railed 9mm
SA 4" XD-45 Railed
Old 06-08-2008, 1:42 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Very Nice!
San Fernando, CA 91340

Email: sales@addaxtactical.com

Phone: (818) 361-5008
Old 06-08-2008, 2:05 AM

Damn, that is one sweet looking Rifle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoWeird View Post
I'd have my face hunched so low I'd be able to do coke lines off the buffer tube with my eyelids.
Old 06-08-2008, 2:07 AM

congrats, looks like it'll work pretty well for you.
If you have suggestions, comments, or complaints, feel free to contact me at burt at burbankrange.com
Old 06-08-2008, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novanryder View Post
I finally took my new AR out today. Took a while to get the ACOG zeroed but once I did... holy crap. For those of you who didn't see my pre-firing post for this, here's the rifle and parts list...

Vltor .223
-Vltor VIS-2A mid-length upper
-Sabre 18" Vanadium alloy chrome lined barrel, 1:7" twist, Gill brake, mid-weight SPR fluting, polished M4 feed ramps, mid-length gas system
-All chromed lower parts...
-Magpul PRS stock with AC4 pneumatic buffer
-DPMS Chromed bolt carrier
-Trijicon ACOG TA01NSN w/flashkill
-Magpul XT rail covers
-Harris 6-9" bipod, non-swivel
-Pachmayr Vindicator grip
-Prince 50 mag lock
-Magpul enhanced trigger guard
-several months of obsession

Results

First I'd like to say that if you haven't gotten a pneumatic buffer yet, DO IT. It's a fantastic part. Some would say, "why bother with that in a .223?" Even in smaller calibers it makes the action silky smooth, recoil is controlled it's almost digusting, there's no SPROING in your ear and it's just damn cool. The ACOG got a little annoying due to low magnification for the shooting I was doing, but it held zero after 100 rounds on just the thumb screws, so I was happy. The sound that comes from a .223 usually is distinctive, sure, but from this gun it was almost a commanding burst. It's hard to explain, but I would attribute the sound to the Sabre Gill brake. Even on a standard trigger the pull was crisp, and the overall platform felt incredibly solid.

Using Black Hills 69gr Sierra Match King HP bullets this baby pulled under 1" groups at 100yds. By the way, I'm not talking the normal 3 shot or even 5 shot groups, here. You can see in the picture I had one outlier, but on that shot I flinched. :P The main group is about 3/4" wide, and those holes are actually from 9 shots with the outlier being the 10th. What can I say? I got excited. This picture is the final 10 shots (rounds 90-100) of the day.

Here are some of the earlier shots from when I was dialing in the scope.

With some good cleaning and a little more care in shot placement I think this build could do even better. We'll find out next weekend.

nice shooting! how do u like that prs stock? is it heavy?
Old 06-08-2008, 12:14 PM

The PRS stock is perfect in form and function, especially for this build. It is a bit weighty, but for this setup that's what I wanted. The rifle balances perfectly on the forward rim of the magazine well, so it has a beautiful feel to it. I also have the Olympic Arms AC4 pneumatic buffer in there, which adds more weight than a typical buffer system, but I also have the Enidine hydraulic buffer and it's lighter than that. The only annoying thing I found was that my hearing protection got in the way of setting my cheek properly against the weld, and I'm looking into getting a different scope for more eye relief. If you have some scope with massive eye relief then you can just expand the butt plate on the PRS to move you back a bit. The stock was also rock solid, and felt like as much a part of the gun as the rail. There's not a whole lot of recoil associated with .223 but the rubber on the end of the PRS is good at reducing any harshness felt from the solid end plate of the stock. I had a CTR stock on this gun a while ago before shooting it but it was obvious that something longer was needed, and the PRS seems to fit every need perfectly.
-VERY good condition original Colt Python revolver, black chrome bluing in 357mag/38spc
-Noveske N6 Lower Receiver
GET TO THUH CHOPPUH!!