Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 06-07-2008, 5:46 PM

Default ccw letter of recommendation

So My friend is applying for a ccw and has someone that wants to write a letter of recommendation. He would like to know how a letter of recommendation should be worded.
Old 06-07-2008, 6:28 PM
Banned

I have known Mr. X for at least Y years, and he is emminently qualified to have a CCW.

He has healed completely from his handgun Inadvertent Discharge and learned valuable lessons - in most settings he is indeed the "only one professional enough" to handle a loaded gun.

Likewise, I can vouch that he is today a different person than the young man with all of those 5150s on his record.

Very truly yours,

ZZZ

Last edited by GuyW; 06-07-2008 at 9:18 PM..
Old 06-07-2008, 9:20 PM
Banned

Seriously, some agencies apparently and specifically require certain elements, like, "I know he's using this letter as part of an application for a permit to carry a concealed firearm", so that a general "Joe's a good guy" letter won't be acceptable.

So, other than complying with mandatory content, just state your basis of knowledge and why he's a sane, cool-headed, reliable and responsible person...

...on the other hand, you probably don't need to state that he's your brother-in-law...

...include a phone number and identifying stuff like home address, and be prepared to field a phone call from an investigator about your letter and its content (don't be surprised if the letter-writer isn't investigated somewhat to see if they're upstanding)....

Last edited by GuyW; 06-07-2008 at 9:22 PM..
Old 06-07-2008, 10:00 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Sad...I have an attorney in the US Attorney's Office AND an SFPD SWAT Officer who would gladly write me letters of recommendation.

Like that would do any good living in Alameda County and not being Don Perata.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lower lover View Post
So My friend is applying for a ccw and has someone that wants to write a letter of recommendation. He would like to know how a letter of recommendation should be worded.
1. Nature of the relationship
2. Length of time of the relationship
3. Acknowledgment that the recommendation is for a permit to carry a concealed weapon.
4. The applicant is of good moral character.
5. The recommendation is done without reservation.
6. Date, contact information & Signature.
Old 06-10-2008, 4:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyW View Post
Seriously, some agencies apparently and specifically require certain elements, like, "I know he's using this letter as part of an application for a permit to carry a concealed firearm", so that a general "Joe's a good guy" letter won't be acceptable.
I checked with the Commander in charge of the local PD and he told me that any general letter of recommendation was acceptable. Anyone know which agencies require a CCW specific letter?
These posts are Fiction. They do not contain legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer. Any resemblance to real persons are pure coincidence. These posts may pose an inhalation hazard, reading can be harmful or fatal. No statements made on this forum are meant to represent any corporate or business entity, others, or myself. Especially not myself.

Stop duping answers, help expand the FAQ.

Why yes, that is me in my avatar and yes, I AM wearing a life jacket.

WTS Keltec P11